ImageImageImageImageImage

Official NY Mets Thread

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 100,176

Re: Official NY Mets Thread 

Post#4621 » by mpharris36 » Wed Aug 8, 2018 5:54 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
Manhattan Project wrote:
I can't believe I had hopes of him being a capable fifth starter, goes to show that even when you have low expectations you can be disappointed.

the man goes from an 18 game winner in the AL to a guy that has a pitching line similar to position players pitching mop up duty in the major leagues.

His peripherals were not that good from last year and he had a lousy second half. Can't judge these pitchers on wins.

he's also sat around a high 3 ERA in the American League for nearly 7 straight years. He's literally always been a guy that can get your 9-12 wins with a high 3 low 4 era...a steady 4th or 5th guy in the rotation. He is usually also a really good 1st half of the year pitch and notoriously losses steam.

I didn't like the signing because I am more of a proponenet of quality rather than quantity in terms of FA signings. Rather get one major impact guy than 3 mediocre players and trust your system depth.

But no one could have predicted dude would be pitching to nearly a 9 ERA.
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,964

Post#4622 » by Manhattan Project » Wed Aug 8, 2018 5:57 pm

Maybe we can get Gray from the Yankees for Vargas :lol:
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Porter Jr l Marshall l Tucker
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,426

Post#4623 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Aug 8, 2018 6:12 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
the man goes from an 18 game winner in the AL to a guy that has a pitching line similar to position players pitching mop up duty in the major leagues.

His peripherals were not that good from last year and he had a lousy second half. Can't judge these pitchers on wins.

he's also sat around a high 3 ERA in the American League for nearly 7 straight years. He's literally always been a guy that can get your 9-12 wins with a high 3 low 4 era...a steady 4th or 5th guy in the rotation. He is usually also a really good 1st half of the year pitch and notoriously losses steam.

I didn't like the signing because I am more of a proponenet of quality rather than quantity in terms of FA signings. Rather get one major impact guy than 3 mediocre players and trust your system depth.

Oh, I didn't know that about his past years. Yeah, a 9 ERA was a bit unexpected. Then again .... :lol:
Free Palestine
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 100,176

Post#4624 » by mpharris36 » Wed Aug 8, 2018 6:23 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

Oh, I didn't know that about his past years. Yeah, a 9 ERA was a bit unexpected. Then again .... :lol:

i mean dude before this year was a career 4 ERA pitcher with a 1.3 WHIP with a 85-81 record. He's always been average/mediocre and trustworthy. He just completely dropped of the map this year to a point position players are pitching at a similar ERA then him.
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
reub
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,309

Post#4625 » by reub » Wed Aug 8, 2018 11:56 pm

We got DeGrom 8 runs today. That's his allotment for the rest of the season.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#4626 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Aug 9, 2018 6:05 am

reub wrote:We got DeGrom 8 runs today. That's his allotment for the rest of the season.

And he's still one game under .500 at 6-7. Yeah, bNo, I know. Wins don't matter. Try telling that to Jake. :lol:
Free Palestine
Mecca
RealGM
And1: 14,324

Post#4627 » by Mecca » Thu Aug 9, 2018 2:18 pm

I
Want
Wheeler

Read on Twitter
?s=21
Brooklyn Nets
Damian Lillard - Rajon Rondo - Trey Burke
Victor Oladipo - Wes Matthews - Javon Carter
Caris LeVert - Derrick Jones Jr. - Glenn Robinson III
Andre Igoudala - Killian Tillie - Trey Lyles
Joel Embiid - Taj Gibson - Kevon Looney
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#4628 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Aug 9, 2018 4:25 pm

Mecca wrote:I
Want
Wheeler

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Free Palestine
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
And1: 19,916

Post#4629 » by blueNorange » Thu Aug 9, 2018 4:52 pm

Want
Wheeler

Read on Twitter
?s=21

cannot believe a lot wrote him off after having a bad 2017 season after missing 2 years of baseball.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
mitchell robinson has blocked zion williamson 3 times as of 7/6/19.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#4630 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Aug 9, 2018 5:38 pm

blueNorange wrote:
Want
Wheeler

Read on Twitter
?s=21

cannot believe a lot wrote him off after having a bad 2017 season after missing 2 years of baseball.

:lol: Ok, Carnac The Magnificent.

Oh great one, tell us who will thrive next season and who won't?
Free Palestine
Knickfan1982
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,158

Post#4631 » by Knickfan1982 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:23 am

Manhattan Project wrote:Maybe we can get Gray from the Yankees for Vargas :lol:

Nah. Jacoby Ellsbury for Jason Bay I'd do but that's one trash for trash deal I'd pass up. :)
Why rely on nuance, facts and logic when you can bludgeon the other side with mindless repetition of "Duuur McDaniel's has potential :tooth and still be treated as if you were reasonable.
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian

Post#4632 » by blueNorange » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:17 pm

here's some depressing news unless you're harthone or reub. :lol:

"Multiple individuals connected to the team have indicated Mets patriarch Fred Wilpon, 81, is unlikely to hand the organization’s reins to a young, purely analytics-driven GM with whom he would perhaps have difficulty connecting. The growing belief is Wilpon will look toward a more traditional baseball person . . . There is thought among team officials that perhaps the Mets became too analytics driven in recent seasons under Sandy Alderson’s watch, and a veteran leader with a pure baseball background would help shift the organization toward the center."
LOL Y U MAD THO?
reub
Lead Assistant

Post#4633 » by reub » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:11 pm

blueNorange wrote:here's some depressing news unless you're harthone or reub. :lol:

"Multiple individuals connected to the team have indicated Mets patriarch Fred Wilpon, 81, is unlikely to hand the organization’s reins to a young, purely analytics-driven GM with whom he would perhaps have difficulty connecting. The growing belief is Wilpon will look toward a more traditional baseball person . . . There is thought among team officials that perhaps the Mets became too analytics driven in recent seasons under Sandy Alderson’s watch, and a veteran leader with a pure baseball background would help shift the organization toward the center."

Try to behave and be civil bNo. We've seen glimpses of it recently so we know that you're capable.
Btw, how's Rosario doing this year?
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#4634 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:16 pm

blueNorange wrote:here's some depressing news unless you're harthone or reub. :lol:

That's right because - having played the game at a relatively high level and having been coached by an ex-MLB pitcher - I know that geeks like yourself who never played the game will therefore never full understand what the mental dynamics are like and the different permutations that players are confronted with during the course of a game. Yes, analytics are useful tools in baseball scouting. But knowledge of the game - of which you seem to have little - is more important. The down side to sabermatrics in baseball is that allows people like yourself to think they know something about the game when, in fact, they don't.

So I guess you want Sandy back, or hire a Sandy clone to replace him, because that's worked out so well for us. lol
Free Palestine
reub
Lead Assistant

Post#4635 » by reub » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:24 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:

That's right because - having played the game at a relatively high level and having been coached by an ex-MLB pitcher - I know that geeks like yourself who never played the game will therefore never full understand what the mental dynamics are like and the different permutations that players are confronted with during the course of a game. Yes, analytics are useful tools in baseball scouting. But knowledge of the game - of which you seem to have little - is more important. The down side to sabermatrics in baseball is that allows people like yourself to think they know something about the game when, in fact, they don't.

So I guess you want Sandy back, or hire a Sandy clone to replace him, because that's worked out so well for us. lol

But he did sleep at a Holiday Inn Express one time. That's worth something.
reub
Lead Assistant

Post#4636 » by reub » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:33 pm

blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian

Post#4637 » by blueNorange » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:43 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:

if you actually had a clue(spoiler alert you don't) then you'd know sandy's thinking of how to construct a team isn't "new" anymore, it's old.

baseball has changed that sandy has a old school method. sandy only looked at obp and slugging, baseball is more than that now. a pioneer inspired many to improve an approach, and the mets are going backwards :lol:

the dodgers, astros, cubs, yankees, red sox are doing fine with new baseball approach. even tampa is great with their low salary, it's because their front office is top notch and knows talent that's not "the eye test".

so congrats on being an old timer that thinks their baseball was the best years, when in fact it wasn't.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#4638 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:06 pm

blueNorange wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

if you actually had a clue(spoiler alert you don't) then you'd know sandy's thinking of how to construct a team isn't "new" anymore, it's old.

baseball has changed that sandy has a old school method. sandy only looked at obp and slugging, baseball is more than that now. a pioneer inspired many to improve an approach, and the mets are going backwards :lol:

the dodgers, astros, cubs, yankees, red sox are doing fine with new baseball approach. even tampa is great with their low salary, it's because their front office is top notch and knows talent that's not "the eye test".

so congrats on being an old timer that thinks their baseball was the best years, when in fact it wasn't.

Ok, so at least we established that you never played the game. Check.

With regarding to Yankees, Astros, Sox and Cubs, they're not doing anything special except drafting excellent baseball talent and making smart trades and FA signings. Nothing new to see here.

Why do you explain to me - chapter and verse - those specific differences in their "new scouting model" and how it led to changes in the specific players they chose to pursue and acquire. I want to learn EXACTLY how this new model has been implemented around baseball. I'll be waiting.
Free Palestine
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian

Post#4639 » by blueNorange » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:41 pm

lol i’m not gonna tell you anything when you can google it yourself
LOL Y U MAD THO?
reub
Lead Assistant

Post#4640 » by reub » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:36 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:
blueNorange wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

Ok, so at least we established that you never played the game. Check.

With regarding to Yankees, Astros, Sox and Cubs, they're not doing anything special except drafting excellent baseball talent and making smart trades and FA signings. Nothing new to see here.

Why do you explain to me - chapter and verse - those specific differences in their "new scouting model" and how it led to changes in the specific players they chose to pursue and acquire. I want to learn EXACTLY how this new model has been implemented around baseball. I'll be waiting.

He's not going to tell you anything because he can't tell you anything.

Come on, young blorange, give your daddy back his account.

Return to New York Knicks