ImageImageImageImageImage

Joe Budden: "Jimmy Butler wants to join the Knicks"

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

QBoro KnicksFan
Junior
And1: 432

Re: Joe Budden: 

Post#181 » by QBoro KnicksFan » Wed Aug 8, 2018 11:21 pm

cuyankees wrote:
QBoro KnicksFan wrote:
cuyankees wrote:THJ n Noah will require 1st rd pick each to unload, they’re 2 of the worst contracts in the NBA.

THJr is overpaid but one of the worst contracts in the league? C'mon man

Deng, Parsons , Dieng (Minny), Evan Turner, Whiteside, Ibaka, both Johnsons down in Mia (Tyler and James), Ryan Anderson, Brandon Knight, Allan Crabbe, Kent Bazemore

[Wiggins is debatable but as of rn Id consider his deal worse than Timmy's and (as of now) Id consider Hardaway Jr to be flat out better than Wiggins as a player]

All are worse than Hardaway's deal. And those are just dudes off the top of my head, im sure I could name a few more if I gave it some more thought

Should’ve separated the comments, Noah being 1 of the worst and THJ being top 15–20 worst contract. There happy?!
Haaa

Nah, still off base by a good bit but whatevs, overpaid is overpaid
Daaaarryyl
Starter
And1: 502
Location: Eddie's house wondering why he wants to get me and Dave drunk.

Re: Joe Budden: "Jimmy Butler wants to join the Knicks" 

Post#182 » by Daaaarryyl » Thu Aug 9, 2018 12:54 am

Would love to have Jimmy on a 5 yr deal.

But years 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018.

Not 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022 and 2023....

C'mon now
Bulls69 wrote:The think about the Bulls we realizes we sucks but the Knicks on the other hand think everyone wants to play a garbage a** team. get real a team who has not won a win in over thirty -five years

Less Bulls, MORE books!!
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 119,053

Post#183 » by 3toheadmelo » Thu Aug 9, 2018 12:56 am

GONYK wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:
K-DOT wrote:The issue is how much are you willing to pay for him? And will his contract block us from being able to open up a max spot in the future?

Y'all know I don't really like Burke, but if he plays good all of next year, no reason not to keep him around, I just don't want him to be what keeps us from being able to go after AD or Giannis in a couple years

i have no clue. it really depends on how he plays this season. I also don’t really look into our salary cap and stuff like that anymore so you asking the wrong person lol. but I say we should try to keep him at all costs if he has something like a 20 ppg/10 assists type season imo. we also have his bird rights so that’s good

What does this mean?

Would you MAX out Burke or shift Kyrie money towards him?

maybe. we'll have to see by then. but ill give him whatever he deserves if he balls out.

anyways my original point is that we may not have to go after kyrie/kemba if burke shows that last season wasn't a fluke.
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
HEZI
RealGM
And1: 26,893

Post#184 » by HEZI » Thu Aug 9, 2018 2:14 am

2010 wrote:
HEZI wrote:I see people are paranoid about giving money to these guys because of their "mileage" but what superstars are we realistically going to get that will come with low mileage, young age and are going to be injury proof? No matter who we use the money on there is going to be a risk involved, one way or another. There is no playing it safe. Even the Celtics signed 30 year old Al Horford to a huge deal that people made fun of back when it happened and now it looks like one of the best bargain deals in the league meanwhile the 27 year old they signed a year later came over with a clean bill of health, no injuries and ends up breaking his foot in the first game of the season and costs them 31 million dollars last year for 5 minutes of play all year.

All the free agents need to go through a physical exam and if they pass then the rest is out of our control, que sera sera. Our young players can go down with injuries too just like Porzingis has so there is no fail proof plan no matter what direction we go.

My only thing is we should hold on to our assets and future draft picks and not give them up in trades but as far as outright signing free agents like Kyrie and Butler we should be all over it if it's possible but at this moment it doesn't seem realistic because we just don't have the cap space to sign both so we would be better off just keeping our assets and seeing who we can sign outright. If Kyrie wants to come by himself then that's cool, if not then that's cool too, if we strike out in 2019 then wait until 2020 or 2021 but just be aware that when we do wait, we're basically gonna have to sign another 28 year old with mileage. There is no young stud in his early 20s to be had via free agency so the same risk will have to be made sooner or later.

I hear what you saying but all 28 year olds aren't created equal. Again, look at Jimmy Butler year-to-year mpg avg and compare it to a guy like Klay Thompson. The career mpg is similar but the year-to-year mpg avg tells the complete story. Butler is a riskier contract to hand out at max dollars. Especially when every star player coach Thibs has touched has flamed out prematurely due to injuries.

I'd down with signing KD, Kyrie, Klay, Kawhi to the max. Butler and Kemba not so much.

It's not really fair to compare other players to the Warriors in this situation because the Warriors are just so used to blitzing teams by the end of the 3rd quarter that they can afford to rest guys. When you look at other star players throughout the league, Butler is no different really

Giannis
AD
Lillard
Beal

If those are the guys we are looking at in 2020/2021 then their minutes should be a concern too then, no? They will all be at least 27+ years old in the next 2-3 years and their MPG are basically the same as Butler at 36/37 MPG

This is also why I don't want to strip the roster down, having depth is so important, you can preserve your star players and play them less minutes if you have dependable depth.
DENVER NUGGETS
Kyrie Irving/Josh Green/Dennis Schroder
Demar Derozan/Gordon Hayward/Amir Coffey
Torrey Craig/Gary Harris/Cedi Osman
Jarace Walker/Larry Nance Jr./Dominick Barlow
Xavier Tillman/Charles Bassey/Nick Richards
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,441

Post#185 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Aug 9, 2018 2:37 am

Let me hear you beg, Jimmy. How bad do you really want to play for the Knicks?
Free Palestine
Adelheid
RealGM
And1: 6,787

Post#186 » by Adelheid » Thu Aug 9, 2018 3:11 am

Amare v2.0

Knicks would never learn their lesson.

Imagine one or both of Ky and Jimmy got signed as Knicks and got injured...they would be occupying large portion of cap so we are hamstrung again for the upteenth time.
DLTGWH
Sixth Man
And1: 670

Post#187 » by DLTGWH » Thu Aug 9, 2018 3:15 am

Jimmy butler about to turn 29, not 35. Beggars can’t be choosers and knicks are definitely in the beggars row. Is jimmy my #1 one choice this offseason, no... but if it’s between him or no one, gimme JB on a max all day every day.

Frank
Jimmy
Knox
KP
Mitch

THard - 6th man

That’s Length and D for days with decent scoring too
NYKnicksTAPE
RealGM
And1: 13,426

Post#188 » by NYKnicksTAPE » Thu Aug 9, 2018 4:00 am

DLTGWH wrote:Jimmy butler about to turn 29, not 35. Beggars can’t be choosers and knicks are definitely in the beggars row. Is jimmy my #1 one choice this offseason, no... but if it’s between him or no one, gimme JB on a max all day every day.

Frank
Jimmy
Knox
KP
Mitch

THard - 6th man

I only want Butler if he’s coming in addition to another star

just Jimmy by himself is meh...not that exciting
FemaleDogPlease
Veteran
And1: 1,473

Post#189 » by FemaleDogPlease » Thu Aug 9, 2018 4:10 am

I'm fine with Butler but how are his knees. Guy has tore his meniscus twice now I think.
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 60,866

Post#190 » by Clyde_Style » Thu Aug 9, 2018 5:13 am

HEZI wrote:
2010 wrote:
HEZI wrote:I see people are paranoid about giving money to these guys because of their "mileage" but what superstars are we realistically going to get that will come with low mileage, young age and are going to be injury proof? No matter who we use the money on there is going to be a risk involved, one way or another. There is no playing it safe. Even the Celtics signed 30 year old Al Horford to a huge deal that people made fun of back when it happened and now it looks like one of the best bargain deals in the league meanwhile the 27 year old they signed a year later came over with a clean bill of health, no injuries and ends up breaking his foot in the first game of the season and costs them 31 million dollars last year for 5 minutes of play all year.

All the free agents need to go through a physical exam and if they pass then the rest is out of our control, que sera sera. Our young players can go down with injuries too just like Porzingis has so there is no fail proof plan no matter what direction we go.

My only thing is we should hold on to our assets and future draft picks and not give them up in trades but as far as outright signing free agents like Kyrie and Butler we should be all over it if it's possible but at this moment it doesn't seem realistic because we just don't have the cap space to sign both so we would be better off just keeping our assets and seeing who we can sign outright. If Kyrie wants to come by himself then that's cool, if not then that's cool too, if we strike out in 2019 then wait until 2020 or 2021 but just be aware that when we do wait, we're basically gonna have to sign another 28 year old with mileage. There is no young stud in his early 20s to be had via free agency so the same risk will have to be made sooner or later.

I hear what you saying but all 28 year olds aren't created equal. Again, look at Jimmy Butler year-to-year mpg avg and compare it to a guy like Klay Thompson. The career mpg is similar but the year-to-year mpg avg tells the complete story. Butler is a riskier contract to hand out at max dollars. Especially when every star player coach Thibs has touched has flamed out prematurely due to injuries.

I'd down with signing KD, Kyrie, Klay, Kawhi to the max. Butler and Kemba not so much.

It's not really fair to compare other players to the Warriors in this situation because the Warriors are just so used to blitzing teams by the end of the 3rd quarter that they can afford to rest guys. When you look at other star players throughout the league, Butler is no different really

Giannis
AD
Lillard
Beal

If those are the guys we are looking at in 2020/2021 then their minutes should be a concern too then, no? They will all be at least 27+ years old in the next 2-3 years and their MPG are basically the same as Butler at 36/37 MPG

This is also why I don't want to strip the roster down, having depth is so important, you can preserve your star players and play them less minutes if you have dependable depth.

You know what's fair to compare to re: GS?

They built a championship team without signing one free agent max cat. KD joined them later so is irrelevant.
ImageImageImage
PeoplesChamp
Bench Warmer
And1: 943

Post#191 » by PeoplesChamp » Thu Aug 9, 2018 1:41 pm

All this rebuilding resulting in Butler would be a massive disappointment
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#192 » by Dr. Detfink » Thu Aug 9, 2018 1:43 pm

Here’s the thing, does paying Jimmy Butler at age 29, make the Knicks a championship contender, ASSUMING all this young talent pays off?

I’d rather throw money at the Unibrow, the Greek Freak or someone who isn’t “comfortable.”

By now, Butler has hit his ceiling. He’s serviceable but let’s not forget he played like GARBAGE for the Wolves in the playoffs. That was shocking.
HEZI
RealGM
And1: 26,893

Post#193 » by HEZI » Thu Aug 9, 2018 1:53 pm

Clyde_Style wrote:
HEZI wrote:
2010 wrote:

Giannis
AD
Lillard
Beal

They built a championship team without signing one free agent max cat. KD joined them later so is irrelevant.

What's your point? I've been saying don't trade the core pieces and future draft picks because I want us to build a nucleus through the draft. Adding a free agent or two that could help take us over the top should still be an option

KP
Knox
Frank
Mitchell
2019 Pick

That's the homegrown nucleus

You're saying that if we added a superstar on a max deal to that core that it would somehow be a bad thing?
DENVER NUGGETS
Kyrie Irving/Josh Green/Dennis Schroder
Demar Derozan/Gordon Hayward/Amir Coffey
Torrey Craig/Gary Harris/Cedi Osman
Jarace Walker/Larry Nance Jr./Dominick Barlow
Xavier Tillman/Charles Bassey/Nick Richards
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#194 » by Clyde_Style » Thu Aug 9, 2018 3:56 pm

HEZI wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
HEZI wrote:

Giannis
AD
Lillard
Beal

What's your point? I've been saying don't trade the core pieces and future draft picks because I want us to build a nucleus through the draft. Adding a free agent or two that could help take us over the top should still be an option

KP
Knox
Frank
Mitchell
2019 Pick

That's the homegrown nucleus

You're saying that if we added a superstar on a max deal to that core that it would somehow be a bad thing?

It was a point directed to the thread as a whole, not just your post, so it was a piggyback comment.

It felt relevant to point out there is more than one model for building a championship team and it does not always include signing a max cat in free agency.

It appears sometimes in these threads the majority thinks that is the ONLY way things can work out successfully and I believe they are wrong to assume that.

That is all
ImageImageImage
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,868

Post#195 » by Jeff Van Gully » Thu Aug 9, 2018 4:07 pm

NYKnicksTAPE wrote:
DLTGWH wrote:Jimmy butler about to turn 29, not 35. Beggars can’t be choosers and knicks are definitely in the beggars row. Is jimmy my #1 one choice this offseason, no... but if it’s between him or no one, gimme JB on a max all day every day.

Frank
Jimmy
Knox
KP
Mitch

THard - 6th man

jimmy butler alone is not worth it to me.

kd, kawhi, and kyrie are the only players i'd consider using this cap space on solo. in that order. only because of kyrie's extensive injury history despite his relative youth.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,441

Post#196 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Aug 9, 2018 4:19 pm

Adelheid wrote:Amare v2.0

Imagine one or both of Ky and Jimmy got signed as Knicks and got injured...they would be occupying large portion of cap so we are hamstrung again for the upteenth time.

Amare' wants to make a comeback. :D
Free Palestine
god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 126,384

Post#197 » by god shammgod » Thu Aug 9, 2018 4:26 pm

Jeff Van Gully wrote:
NYKnicksTAPE wrote:

Frank
Jimmy
Knox
KP
Mitch

THard - 6th man

jimmy butler alone is not worth it to me.

kd, kawhi, and kyrie are the only players i'd consider using this cap space on solo. in that order. only because of kyrie's extensive injury history despite his relative youth.

i'm of the same feeling. butler on his own is pointless. with kyrie, kp, the young kids we have and a likely top 5 pick. you're basically built to probably be the best team in the east next year. how we accomplish getting him and kyrie i have no idea. not unless you use a bunch of protected future firsts.
Knicks Byke
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,224

Re: Joe Budden: 

Post#198 » by Knicks Byke » Thu Aug 9, 2018 4:27 pm

BowlRips wrote:
cgmw wrote:Fans are going to act all gangster about holding out for a bigger star or waiting for next year, but this has Steve Mills deadline trade written all over it.

I’m okay with w deadline trade depending on what the trade is.
If you can move Noah in the deal even if it costs you a first rounder it may make sense

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

no it doesnt make sense. wtf wrong w you. trading our firsts away.
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#199 » by Clyde_Style » Thu Aug 9, 2018 4:27 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Adelheid wrote:Amare v2.0

Amare' wants to make a comeback. :D

Ben Stiller, Do It, oh never mind
ImageImageImage
robillionaire
RealGM
And1: 48,041

Post#200 » by robillionaire » Thu Aug 9, 2018 4:29 pm

noah is getting waived, look for I look for Lee and THJ to be on the block all year

Return to New York Knicks