ImageImageImageImageImage

Woj Knicks plan to cut Noah - Update Pg 52: Noah Will Be Cut Next Wk

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 50,264

Re: Woj Knicks plan to not reincorporate Noah and cut him in September 

Post#241 » by Deeeez Knicks » Thu Aug 9, 2018 8:25 pm

cgf wrote:
Deeeez Knicks wrote:
GONYK wrote:
I don't agree with stretching him now without a hard commitment, but what else are the Knicks supposed to do if they don't want Noah on the team.

They can't just send him home for a year when he's healthy.

Keep him on the bench and sell him on mentoring the young players for the year. Can probably get some minutes as the 3rd C since there will be injuries or give him some of Kanter's minutes here and there.

Noah keeps saying he loves NY and wants to be here, so I would challenge him on that and tell him the best thing for NY is to help our young players.

Hard pass on letting Jo anywhere near our kids.

Would he really be that bad of an influence? I know he is just about done, but Noah had so much passion/heart and seemed like a good teamate. i think some of this is getting overblown. Its not like he can really derail the season when we will be bad anyway.
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
Jonathan starks
Bench Warmer
And1: 815

Post#242 » by Jonathan starks » Thu Aug 9, 2018 8:29 pm

PeoplesChamp wrote:
Jonathan starks wrote:There were some posters that wanted us to showcase him to see if he’s tradeable. Unfortunately his game has diminished so much that that isn’t worth trying. We’re going to regret stretching him instead of just letting him expire.

I'll never understand the devotion to Noah.

I kind of get it. He’s always repped ny and used to play with tremendous passion and grit. Having said that he’s never done anything good for the knicks, so I get the hate too.
RealGM
And1: 39,214

Post#243 » by 2010 » Thu Aug 9, 2018 8:29 pm

GONYK wrote:
cuyankees wrote:
GONYK wrote:
I agree that the show clearly signals that he wants to play next season.

I don't see any signs that the Knicks have any intention of paying him this summer, or really care if he plays this season or not.

Totally, Knicks don’t want to pay him until next FA. That’s obvious, but their hand gets forced if KP wants to play this season and offer the max. Do you really want to have that convo? “Hey, sit out the season and wait for your contract”.

I don't understand what leverage KP has to make the Knicks pay him.

They can simply say "Whether you play this season or not is entirely up to you. We will sign you to an extension after we've allocated the cap to improve the team next summer."

I don't understand why Porzingis would be mad about that. It doesn't affect when KP sees the extension money, and it gives him a shot to play with another all-star.

It's not like they are asking him to play another season on his QO or something.

I actually think Janis and Perry already have an understanding on this. Which is why Perry keeps saying this:

Knicks GM, Scott Perry wrote:"We continue to stay in touch with Kristaps and he's part of our long-term plan," he said, per Mike Vorkunov of The Athletic. "But we'll get all of that figured out at the appropriate time in terms of when we get into that negotiation. We're comfortable with where we're at with him. We'll work together with he and his representation to figure something out."

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2785457-knicks-gm-scott-perry-declines-comment-on-kristaps-porzingis-contract-extension

1: Young | Thompson | Vincent
2: Vassell | Mann | Primo | Butler
3: Murphy III | Hunter | Lewis
4: Wembanyama | Bridges | Wood
5: Gobert | Bitadze | Porter
cgf
RealGM
And1: 9,908

Post#244 » by cgf » Thu Aug 9, 2018 8:32 pm

Deeeez Knicks wrote:
cgf wrote:
Deeeez Knicks wrote:
Keep him on the bench and sell him on mentoring the young players for the year. Can probably get some minutes as the 3rd C since there will be injuries or give him some of Kanter's minutes here and there.

Noah keeps saying he loves NY and wants to be here, so I would challenge him on that and tell him the best thing for NY is to help our young players.

Would he really be that bad of an influence? I know he is just about done, but Noah had so much passion/heart and seemed like a good teamate. i think some of this is getting overblown. Its not like he can really derail the season when we will be bad anyway.

If he's undermining Fiz to the kids & teaching Mitch how to party, then he can absolutely derail a season when we will be bad anyway. Our record may not matter this year, but developing those kids does & initiating a culture shift matters.
cgmw wrote:Basically, in conclusion: I'd like Dolan to get off my lawn.

Capn'O wrote:We're not the kid cousin. We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,262

Post#245 » by DOT » Thu Aug 9, 2018 8:34 pm

2010 wrote:
GONYK wrote:
cuyankees wrote:Totally, Knicks don’t want to pay him until next FA. That’s obvious, but their hand gets forced if KP wants to play this season and offer the max. Do you really want to have that convo? “Hey, sit out the season and wait for your contract”.

They can simply say "Whether you play this season or not is entirely up to you. We will sign you to an extension after we've allocated the cap to improve the team next summer."

I don't understand why Porzingis would be mad about that. It doesn't affect when KP sees the extension money, and it gives him a shot to play with another all-star.

It's not like they are asking him to play another season on his QO or something.

I actually think Janis and Perry already have an understanding on this. Which is why Perry keeps saying this:

Knicks GM, Scott Perry wrote:"We continue to stay in touch with Kristaps and he's part of our long-term plan," he said, per Mike Vorkunov of The Athletic. "But we'll get all of that figured out at the appropriate time in terms of when we get into that negotiation. We're comfortable with where we're at with him. We'll work together with he and his representation to figure something out."

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2785457-knicks-gm-scott-perry-declines-comment-on-kristaps-porzingis-contract-extension

Yeah, I don't know why that guy keeps saying if KP plays a second this season, the Knicks have to extend him on the spot

I don't think there's a precedence for giving a player a max extension in the middle of the season. If it were to happen before next offseason, it'd be before the season starts, and we're not gonna extend him before this year, it just doesn't make any sense for us
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 42,049

Post#246 » by GONYK » Thu Aug 9, 2018 8:35 pm

cgf wrote:
Deeeez Knicks wrote:
cgf wrote:

If he's undermining Fiz to the kids & teaching Mitch how to party, then he can absolutely derail a season when we will be bad anyway. Our record may not matter this year, but developing those kids does & initiating a culture shift matters.

I think all parties can agree that Knicks management has more insight into how Noah can potentially affect the locker room.
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 100,581

Post#247 » by mpharris36 » Thu Aug 9, 2018 8:36 pm

Deeeez Knicks wrote:
cgf wrote:
Deeeez Knicks wrote:

I guess thats what Perry/Mills/Fiz have to decide and we have to trust they know more about the situation then us. So if they feel he will a big enough detriment and a bad influence on the young kids especially someone at his position like Mitch then they absolutely need to stretch and waive him.

Only they truly know the extent of not wanting Noah back and if they really need to do it now it probably means its pretty reconcilable.
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
F N 11
RealGM
And1: 61,920

Post#248 » by F N 11 » Thu Aug 9, 2018 8:36 pm

GONYK wrote:
K P 6 wrote:
cuyankees wrote:No, it’s obvious what he’s saying and won’t go down that rabbit hole w ya. :)

Word we are not the Rockets.

What do the Rockets have to do with anything?

Rockets always get great deals done to help them.
CEO of the not trading RJ club.
cuyankees
Veteran
And1: 1,274

Post#249 » by cuyankees » Thu Aug 9, 2018 8:38 pm

GONYK wrote:
cuyankees wrote:
GONYK wrote:
I agree that the show clearly signals that he wants to play next season.

I don't see any signs that the Knicks have any intention of paying him this summer, or really care if he plays this season or not.

Totally, Knicks don’t want to pay him until next FA. That’s obvious, but their hand gets forced if KP wants to play this season and offer the max. Do you really want to have that convo? “Hey, sit out the season and wait for your contract”.

In that scenario yes of course KP would do that, but you had said it would be dumb to pay him the max before seeing him play... So which is it? See the problem now? There’s risk on both sides and KP has the leverage...
F N 11
RealGM
And1: 61,920

Post#250 » by F N 11 » Thu Aug 9, 2018 8:38 pm

2010 wrote:
GONYK wrote:
cuyankees wrote:Totally, Knicks don’t want to pay him until next FA. That’s obvious, but their hand gets forced if KP wants to play this season and offer the max. Do you really want to have that convo? “Hey, sit out the season and wait for your contract”.

Exactly why would we extend him now? We save some for next year if we wait until next year. I'm sure KP knows that. Media just tryna stir chit up.
CEO of the not trading RJ club.
cuyankees
Veteran

Post#251 » by cuyankees » Thu Aug 9, 2018 8:40 pm

K-DOT wrote:
2010 wrote:
GONYK wrote:

Yeah, I don't know why that guy keeps saying if KP plays a second this season, the Knicks have to extend him on the spot

I don't think there's a precedence for giving a player a max extension in the middle of the season. If it were to happen before next offseason, it'd be before the season starts, and we're not gonna extend him before this year, it just doesn't make any sense for us

Wiggins & Embiid got extended during the season. That article means nothing as much as the Perry’s declination.
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#252 » by DOT » Thu Aug 9, 2018 8:42 pm

cuyankees wrote:
K-DOT wrote:
2010 wrote:

Wiggins & Embiid got extended during the season. That article means nothing as much as the Perry’s declination.

Embiid was extended October 9th. Wiggins October 11th

The season started October 17th
BaF Lakers:

Evan Mobley/Tari Eason

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
cgf
RealGM
And1: 9,908

Post#253 » by cgf » Thu Aug 9, 2018 8:42 pm

K-DOT wrote:
2010 wrote:
GONYK wrote:

He’s against signing anyone in 2019 and clinging to every road block he can to convince himself it’s impossible & Pills are dumb to even consider it
cgmw wrote:Basically, in conclusion: I'd like Dolan to get off my lawn.

Capn'O wrote:We're not the kid cousin. We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 42,049

Post#254 » by GONYK » Thu Aug 9, 2018 8:43 pm

cuyankees wrote:
GONYK wrote:

In that scenario yes of course KP would do that, but you had said it would be dumb to pay him the max before seeing him play... So which is it? See the problem now? There’s risk on both sides and KP has the leverage...

Not really.

We can be fine paying KP after we've hedged our bets by maximizing the cap and signing more talent.

Paying him before maximizing the cap is the scenario where risk resides for the Knicks, which is why they will avoid it.
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 50,264

Post#255 » by Deeeez Knicks » Thu Aug 9, 2018 8:46 pm

K-DOT wrote:
cuyankees wrote:
K-DOT wrote:Yeah, I don't know why that guy keeps saying if KP plays a second this season, the Knicks have to extend him on the spot

There is a deadline for when you can extend players on rookie salaries. Its usually Oct sometime. So we could not extend KP during the season
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#256 » by DOT » Thu Aug 9, 2018 8:49 pm

Deeeez Knicks wrote:
K-DOT wrote:
cuyankees wrote:Wiggins & Embiid got extended during the season. That article means nothing as much as the Perry’s declination.

There is a deadline for when you can extend players on rookie salaries. Its usually Oct sometime. So we could not extend KP during the season

Right, so if KP isn't extended by the time the season starts, we'll have max money next offseason unless we end up with like the 1st overall pick
BaF Lakers:

Evan Mobley/Tari Eason

cuyankees
Veteran

Post#257 » by cuyankees » Thu Aug 9, 2018 8:51 pm

K-DOT wrote:
cuyankees wrote:
K-DOT wrote:Yeah, I don't know why that guy keeps saying if KP plays a second this season, the Knicks have to extend him on the spot

Semantics have it!
cuyankees
Veteran

Post#258 » by cuyankees » Thu Aug 9, 2018 8:56 pm

cgf wrote:
K-DOT wrote:
2010 wrote:

He’s against signing anyone in 2019 and clinging to every road block he can to convince himself it’s impossible & Pills are dumb to even consider it

I’m playing being an irrational fanatic who thinks that players take discounts to come to the Knicks, players who have “understandings” about a max deal for delaying it, and thinking THJ & Lee have + value in any trade.
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#259 » by DOT » Thu Aug 9, 2018 8:59 pm

cuyankees wrote:
K-DOT wrote:
cuyankees wrote:Wiggins & Embiid got extended during the season. That article means nothing as much as the Perry’s declination.

Semantics have it!

Firstly, a week difference is not "semantics"

Secondly, as Deeeez posted, there is a deadline before the season starts for when you can agree to a rookie scale extension, so we literally can't extend KP mid season

According to Article VII, Section 7(b)(1) of the CBA, an extension of a rookie scale contract can only happen from 12:01pm Eastern on the last day of the July Moratorium to 6 p.m. Eastern on the day before the first day of the regular season of the second option year (fourth and final season) of the player’s rookie scale contract.
BaF Lakers:

Evan Mobley/Tari Eason

RealGM
And1: 39,214

Post#260 » by 2010 » Thu Aug 9, 2018 9:01 pm

cuyankees wrote:
cgf wrote:

I’m playing being an irrational fanatic who thinks that players take discounts to come to the Knicks, players who have “understandings” about a max deal for delaying it, and thinking THJ & Lee have + value in any trade.

Lets be real here. KP is going to get his money regardless. Every top lottery pick gets that extension. However, it's in his best interest to sign after the Knicks pair him with another established star. KP and Janis are very brand conscious. They know nothing matters unless he takes his game to the playoffs and wins there. Getting his signature on the contract months earlier and it costing him the ability to get more big time talent on the roster does him no favors. He is a student of the game. I don't think he wants to end up being the next Ewing or Melo by getting his extension inked months early at the expense of a supporting cast.

1: Young | Thompson | Vincent
2: Vassell | Mann | Primo | Butler
3: Murphy III | Hunter | Lewis
4: Wembanyama | Bridges | Wood
5: Gobert | Bitadze | Porter

Return to New York Knicks