2018 Offseason Thread

Moderators: Dadouv47, retrobro90

slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,947

Re: 2018 Offseason Thread 

Post#3101 » by slick_watts » Thu Aug 9, 2018 7:23 pm

alex abrinese sucks. he's a daequan cook level role player. even past his prime kyle korver is way better than him.
getrichordie
General Manager
And1: 2,308

Post#3102 » by getrichordie » Thu Aug 9, 2018 9:43 pm

NYG wrote:
getrichordie wrote:
retrobro90 wrote:
Nah Abrines gives us most of that utility while being much younger. Both he and Singler are expiring and we shouldn't be in the market of trading away more future seconds after the summer we just had.

Fair point. Yeah, given Roberson's uncertain future, I think you have to retain Abrines.

There’s also a luxury tax savings involved too in this deal. Almost $14 Million

Did not realize this. That certainly changes things. In fact, as dumb as it makes me look, I'm pretty sure I posted this exact same trade offer or something close to it and it didn't get any love lol.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
kdthunderup
Pro Prospect
And1: 533

Post#3103 » by kdthunderup » Thu Aug 9, 2018 9:49 pm

getrichordie wrote:Does anyone expect Abrines to improve going into his 3rd year in the NBA or is he is what he is at this point? With a ton of wings on the roster now, are we expecting Abrines to stay in his role or will we see his minutes increase?

I see Ferguson taking Abrines's minutes if he doesn't improve going into this season.
spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Post#3104 » by spearsy23 » Thu Aug 9, 2018 9:50 pm

retrobro90 wrote:
NYG wrote:Neutral fan, would you trade Abrines, Singler and two 2nds for Kyle Korver?

Nah Abrines gives us most of that utility while being much younger. Both he and Singler are expiring and we shouldn't be in the market of trading away more future seconds after the summer we just had.

If I could dump singler and abrines for two seconds i'd be all over it, getting korver back is gravy.
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,546

Post#3105 » by NYG » Thu Aug 9, 2018 10:11 pm

spearsy23 wrote:
retrobro90 wrote:
NYG wrote:Neutral fan, would you trade Abrines, Singler and two 2nds for Kyle Korver?

If I could dump singler and abrines for two seconds i'd be all over it, getting korver back is gravy.

Would keeping the seconds and trade the pair of playera (again no picks and lux savings) for Lance Thomas make any sense?
Atomic Punk
Pro Prospect
And1: 328

Post#3106 » by Atomic Punk » Thu Aug 9, 2018 10:52 pm

NYG wrote:
spearsy23 wrote:
retrobro90 wrote:

Would keeping the seconds and trade the pair of playera (again no picks and lux savings) for Lance Thomas make any sense?

Maybe, but Korver fills a more immediate need. BTW: I couldn’t care less about the future SRP’s. This team is in win now mode.
hardenASG13
Analyst
And1: 1,310

Post#3107 » by hardenASG13 » Thu Aug 9, 2018 11:28 pm

kdthunderup wrote:
getrichordie wrote:Does anyone expect Abrines to improve going into his 3rd year in the NBA or is he is what he is at this point? With a ton of wings on the roster now, are we expecting Abrines to stay in his role or will we see his minutes increase?

I see Ferguson taking Abrines's minutes if he doesn't improve going into this season.

Definately a make or break year for abrines, he's gotta become alot more reliable. I thought his defense looked better at the end of last season, it would really elevate the bench if he and Ferguson could develop into solid rotation level players. I'm hoping 1 can, gotta think Ferguson has been working on attacking the basket/handle in the offseason.
Atomic Punk
Pro Prospect
And1: 328

Post#3108 » by Atomic Punk » Thu Aug 9, 2018 11:43 pm

hardenASG13 wrote:
kdthunderup wrote:

Definately a make or break year for abrines, he's gotta become alot more reliable. I thought his defense looked better at the end of last season, it would really elevate the bench if he and Ferguson could develop into solid rotation level players. I'm hoping 1 can, gotta think Ferguson has been working on attacking the basket/handle in the offseason.

I thought his defense, or at least his effort on D looked better as the season progressed. Still.....
spearsy23
RealGM

Post#3109 » by spearsy23 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:01 am

NYG wrote:
spearsy23 wrote:
retrobro90 wrote:

No. Abrines is better, younger, and cheaper.
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
thekaoswithin
Junior
And1: 240

Post#3110 » by thekaoswithin » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:18 am

Why are we paying to trade expirings? Everyone wants an expiring contract, it's not a negative asset that we should be paying to get out of.
retrobro90
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 906

Post#3111 » by retrobro90 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:26 am

I think Abrines' improvement is understated by guys like Lowe and Royce. He started the year coming off an injury from Eurobasket then got healthy and started showing real feel on defense. And not just improved quickness from getting healthy but getting into the lane with good timing for charges/verticality. That's something our collection of teenagers really doesn't know how to do but Roberson and Abrines actually have some legitimate help instincts. Alex will always have trouble containing stronger perimeter players no matter how hard he hits the weight room but I like how reliable he is doing the little things and how confident he is in his role. Korver is going to be 38 on his current contract and everyone still has rose colored glasses from the playoffs when he was (for stretches) the only other Cavalier who could put the ball in the basket. The Warriors completely neutralized Korver in the finals. He hit one shot through 4 games. Is Alex better than that? Maybe/maybe not but it's not a sure enough bet for it to be worth $5mil and two future seconds when our liquid asset warchest is near empty. Not to mention all our additions are meant to play young and fast. Doesn't improve the ceiling of this team enough and tightens their already tight handcuffs around their flexibility.
getrichordie
General Manager
And1: 2,308

Post#3112 » by getrichordie » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:33 am

retrobro90 wrote:I think Abrines' improvement is understated by guys like Lowe and Royce. He started the year coming off an injury from Eurobasket then got healthy and started showing real feel on defense. And not just improved quickness from getting healthy but getting into the lane with good timing for charges/verticality. That's something our collection of teenagers really doesn't know how to do but Roberson and Abrines actually have some legitimate help instincts. Alex will always have trouble containing stronger perimeter players no matter how hard he hits the weight room but I like how reliable he is doing the little things and how confident he is in his role. Korver is going to be 38 on his current contract and everyone still has rose colored glasses from the playoffs when he was (for stretches) the only other Cavalier who could put the ball in the basket. The Warriors completely neutralized Korver in the finals. He hit one shot through 4 games. Is Alex better than that? Maybe/maybe not but it's not a sure enough bet for it to be worth $5mil and two future seconds when our liquid asset warchest is near empty. Not to mention all our additions are meant to play young and fast. Doesn't improve the ceiling of this team enough and tightens their already tight handcuffs around their flexibility.

True. Those are fair points.

Korver wouldn't fit our style of play. Yeah, he can stretch the floor, but I guarantee Alex can get up and down the floor faster and provide better help defense. I'll take the young Abrines over Korver in terms of fit. I don't want a 38 y/o on the team unless it is for locker room reasons which we do not need. The only reason I would make this trade is if OKC's owners are really forcing Presti to cut some cost, but I doubt that. In fact, I'd say there are better ways to cut cost.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,199

Post#3113 » by bondom34 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:18 am

Korver is a much better defender than Abrines. And he's not good, but he's much better.

And when he was on court the Cavs played at a pace faster than what OKC did with Russ on court, he can run too. Abrines ceiling in a few years might be old Korver.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
spearsy23
RealGM

Post#3114 » by spearsy23 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:53 pm

thekaoswithin wrote:Why are we paying to trade expirings? Everyone wants an expiring contract, it's not a negative asset that we should be paying to get out of.

Because it saves 15 million dollars?
Pillendreher
RealGM
And1: 9,952

Post#3115 » by Pillendreher » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:06 pm

spearsy23 wrote:
thekaoswithin wrote:Why are we paying to trade expirings? Everyone wants an expiring contract, it's not a negative asset that we should be paying to get out of.

Because it saves 15 million dollars?

"I don't know of any player that, when the shot goes up, he doesn't want it to go in," Donovan said
retrobro90
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#3116 » by retrobro90 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:13 pm

bondom34 wrote:Korver is a much better defender than Abrines. And he's not good, but he's much better.

And when he was on court the Cavs played at a pace faster than what OKC did with Russ on court, he can run too. Abrines ceiling in a few years might be old Korver.

Korver is bigger than Abrines. Both are a liability as you've noted. The difference between their impact is hardly as massive as you say though and Abrines ended the season much better on D than he started. Honestly thought he did better on D Mitchell in the playoffs than Brewer/Russ etc. Let's also consider again Kyle will be 37 next year.

I'd rather compare lineup data with Russ without Melo rather than Korver + Bron. Obviously neither Korver nor Abrines is some slow footed 7 footer but that stat makes it sound like Kyle pushes the pace more than Westbrook which is obviously not the case.

Outside of these points there's also the fact that we're out our 2019 and potentially 2022-2025 SRPs as of our transactions this summer. If we trade two future 2nds they'd be 2020 and 2021 leaving us with 7 straight years of owed SRPs and a ton of salary wrapped up. Not ideal for a small market team with no future cap room.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,199

Post#3117 » by bondom34 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:16 pm

retrobro90 wrote:
bondom34 wrote:Korver is a much better defender than Abrines. And he's not good, but he's much better.

Korver is bigger than Abrines. Both are a liability as you've noted. The difference between their impact is hardly as massive as you say though and Abrines ended the season much better on D than he started. Honestly thought he did better on D Mitchell in the playoffs than Brewer/Russ etc. Let's also consider again Kyle will be 37 next year.

I'd rather compare lineup data with Russ without Melo rather than Korver + Bron. Obviously neither Korver nor Abrines is some slow footed 7 footer but that stat makes it sound like Kyle pushes the pace more than Westbrook which is obviously not the case.

Outside of these points there's also the fact that we're out our 2019 and potentially 2022-2025 SRPs as of our transactions this summer. If we trade two future 2nds they'd be 2020 and 2021 leaving us with 7 straight years of owed SRPs and a ton of salary wrapped up. Not ideal for a small market team with no future cap room.

Russ/Abrines and no Melo: 97.4 pace

Korver and Lebron: 96.0

So still not a big gap, and Korver can run. He's still a beter defender right now, and AA at his peak might be that good not to mention the shooting.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
retrobro90
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#3118 » by retrobro90 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:22 pm

bondom34 wrote:
retrobro90 wrote:

Russ/Abrines and no Melo: 97.4 pace

Korver and Lebron: 96.0

So still not a big gap, and Korver can run. He's still a beter defender right now, and AA at his peak might be that good not to mention the shooting.

For sure. That's a fair point about Korver's transition play. I just know OKC had a massive difference in pace with and without Melo this past season so I knew it was skewed. I stand by the fact that this proposed trade is not something OKC should do to help them marginally in the near term.
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,487

Post#3119 » by Kizz Fastfists » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:37 pm

I just took the stat to mean that Korver wouldn't slow OKC down. I don't think anyone expects him to be the reason for it speeding up.
"The secret to success is to offend the greatest number of people." -George Bernard Shaw
retrobro90
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#3120 » by retrobro90 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:51 pm

Kizz Fastfists wrote:I just took the stat to mean that Korver wouldn't slow OKC down. I don't think anyone expects him to be the reason for it speeding up.

Agreed, I mentioned that based on dom's phrasing initially which I misinterpreted. However, no matter how many underwater boulders Korver moves in the offseason (if you're familiar with his wild conditioning exercises) he's still not going to defeat father time in the end. 37 year old Korver who didn't do much against the switch heavy western conference defense doesn't entice me enough to give them our only other good floor spacing wing (not named Paul George) and two 2nds just to clear the difference on Singler's expiring. ~$3mil in salary. Not sure what that is in repeater tax.

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder