ImageImageImage

The offseason thread (Post Kawhi edition)

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

JojoSlimbiid
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,229

Re: The offseason thread (Post Kawhi edition) 

Post#1161 » by JojoSlimbiid » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:53 pm

What could they possibly be afraid of in terms of hiring from within for this GM spot? Just do it already and stop with the charade. If they were going to hire someone outside why is it taking so long?

I'm concerned with Brett liking the power too much and influencing ownership to keep this current arrangement. If you want to give Cohen the job or Eversley just announce it already.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,745

Post#1162 » by Negrodamus » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:14 pm

Just remember that 6 years ago on this day we traded for Bynum. Anything could still happen in late summer.
ProcessDoctor
RealGM
And1: 5,183

Post#1163 » by ProcessDoctor » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:08 am

Looking ahead to next offseason...

Would you offer Porzingis a max deal considering his ACL tear (among other injuries) and off-court baggage?
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Melton/Payne
Maxey/Hield/Downtin
Batum/Oubre/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
septahex
Pro Prospect
And1: 341

Post#1164 » by septahex » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:19 am

sixers238 wrote:Looking ahead to next offseason...

Would you offer Porzingis a max deal considering his ACL tear (among other injuries) and off-court baggage?
yes, i think his max would be 4y / 116m which isn't that bad. That 30% designated player extension would hurt though for sure. Fultz-Zhaire-porzingis-simmons-embiid 2 athletic guard defenders, a DPOY talent, elite rim protector and a guy that can switch 1-4.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,416

Post#1165 » by 76ciology » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:40 am

Well the alternative is Tobias Harris. Now you tell me.

If he doesnt fit, then i'd use him as an asset.

I'd rather bet on Kawhi leaving Tor to get here than KP leaving NY to get here
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
ivysixer2000
General Manager
And1: 2,016

Post#1166 » by ivysixer2000 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:18 pm

76ciology wrote:

Well the alternative is Tobias Harris. Now you tell me.

If he doesnt fit, then i'd use him as an asset.

I'd rather bet on Kawhi leaving Tor to get here than KP leaving NY to get here

Well another thing is KP is also restricted so I don't know why he was brought up but I don't mind offering RFAs. Now I do think the Knicks will match anything, but if KP was actually available, sure its a no brainer at his age.

Now the likelihood is very low though.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,080

Post#1167 » by Kobblehead » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:36 pm

I don't see the appeal in having two max contract bigs in this current NBA.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#1168 » by Kobblehead » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:50 pm

Also, there's nothing remotely impressive to me about Porzingis' 17.8 ppg on 53% true shooting. That's Andrew Wiggins/Harrison Barnes scoring efficiency without the benefits of being a wing that self-creates. Porzingis on a max has a high probability of being looked at as a bad contract pretty quickly after he signs it.
ivysixer2000
General Manager

Post#1169 » by ivysixer2000 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:57 pm

Kobblehead wrote:I don't see the appeal in having two max contract bigs in this current NBA.

Then we probably shouldn't have drafted 3 in a row.

But I digress, I'm not saying its a great idea or something we should do or even an option cause he's restricted, but he might be better than our alternatives if we totally strike out again....which could happen. We are talking about him as a free agent here.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#1170 » by Kobblehead » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:57 pm

Anthony Davis - worthy max
Joel Embiid - worthy max
Karl-Anthony Towns - worthy max
Nikola Jokic - worthy max
DeMarcus Cousins - I wouldn't do it, but I can see the argument.

Porzingis? Potential albatross contract.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,416

Post#1171 » by 76ciology » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:02 pm

Kobblehead wrote:Also, there's nothing remotely impressive to me about Porzingis' 17.8 ppg on 53% true shooting. That's Andrew Wiggins/Harrison Barnes scoring efficiency without the benefits of being a wing that self-creates. Porzingis on a max has a high probability of being looked at as a bad contract pretty quickly after he signs it.

More flash than substance on offense. Do you rather have Tyreke Evans on a cheaper contract?
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#1172 » by Kobblehead » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:06 pm

I don't really want Tyreke Evans.
ivysixer2000
General Manager

Post#1173 » by ivysixer2000 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:26 pm

Kobblehead wrote:Anthony Davis - worthy max
Joel Embiid - worthy max
Karl-Anthony Towns - worthy max
Nikola Jokic - worthy max
DeMarcus Cousins - I wouldn't do it, but I can see the argument.

Porzingis? Potential albatross contract.

Well getting a free agent for free will come at a cost. Is that cost a potentially bad contract?? Of course it can be a bad one, just like we could trade for a bad one (while giving up assets!!) like CJ, Wiggins, and such.

I'd rather get a bad contract for free than trade assets for a bad contract. Its a 'potentially' bad contract either way.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#1174 » by Kobblehead » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:14 pm

I'd be more open to risking a max for Porzingis if I was a team with no money allocated to the frontcourt. Like I mentioned, I don't see the point in investing so heavily in non-creator positions like bigs.
ivysixer2000
General Manager

Post#1175 » by ivysixer2000 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:29 pm

Kobblehead wrote:I'd be more open to risking a max for Porzingis if I was a team with no money allocated to the frontcourt. Like I mentioned, I don't see the point in investing so heavily in non-creator positions like bigs.

Guess my point is, I would rather invest in KP as a free agent than trade resources for Wiggins. You have to take into account what's available, not just some pie in the sky of what you want in every situation.

BTW, I've always wondered why you don't use the 'quote' function here....hard to keep up a conversation on here without using it yet I notice you never use it, just curious.
papajoe
Junior
And1: 360

Post#1176 » by papajoe » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:17 pm

Mik317 wrote:Fultz was a good fit because at the time no one believed the Ben is a PG hype....

while I personally still doubt it a bit, he is way more ball dominant than I think anyone expected...which makes him and Fultz fit more iffy. Now Fultz HAS to become an above average off ball shooter and mover...which after his episode of forgetting how to shoot at all...is waaaay more tenuous than first thought (unless you were Lloyd I guess).

Ben's ideal running mate is Super JJ Redick lol....one that can occasionally get his or others own shot. That guy does not grow on trees.

What I can see happening is that eventually we are going to have to make a choice between the two...but thats a ways off and isn't the worst choice to have to make if both are truly worthy of the main creator role.

But regardless both guys are going to need to become more versatile on offense to reach their true potential anyway. That means Fultz can't just be a ball dominant pnr heavy guard with an iffy shot, he has to be a deadly shot maker for him to reach his potential. Ben can't just be a fast break monster with amazing vision...he has to add some type of half court offense. Ideally both of these things happen and we can all go on every board and get banned by telling all the haters I TOLD YOU SOOOOOOO. But the reality is that 1 or neither happens and thus we will have to be ready pivot ASAP or else this thing hits its ceiling and all of this was for naught.

this is the tough part of the process. This is basically the "is Steph's ankles gonna hold up?" part of championship building. Or the do we trade Klay for Kevin Love part. But also real close to the Harden or Ibaka situation Presti **** up. We are getting to the point in which 4-5 year lockdown contracts start to get signed and thus or team finally has to pick a direction and hope it works out.

would be nice to have a GM for that lolololololol

Nonsense, we literally saw a preview of how Ben + another point guard can lead to good ball in game 4 with TJ & Ben and TJ can barely do the things Markelle can do.
papajoe
Junior
And1: 360

Post#1177 » by papajoe » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:20 pm

LloydFree wrote:
papajoe wrote:
Knicksfan20 wrote:Im not here to troll and ive always kinda liked the 76ers going back to the Iverson days...I just want to give my honest feeling because as a fan who has dealt with garbage front offices for years, it sucks to watch the 76ers fk things up as hard as they did.

Sam Hinkie had things under control... Just sucks to see what the 76ers had and what they could have had..to what they ended up with.

I hated the Fultz trade when they made it...maybe it pays off in the future and Fultz becomes an all star.
I hated the Mikal trade when they made it..maybe it pays off (Mikal was the perfect glue fit to round out your starting lineup)

I dont like the fit of Zhaire or Fultz on the 76ers team... At all.. I cant express how mad i actually was for the 76ers when they traded Mikal. He wont be an all star, but he is one of those ultimate glue guys that championship teams need...and he was a perfect fit and a hometown kid with his mom working for the organization also? No brainer to take him and make him apart of the future.

Smith with a fractured foot and Fultz has a fractured brain.. The 76ers front office really over thought things and shot theirselves in the foot. If they just let Hinke do what Hinkie do, then we would be talking about the 76ers as the top team in the east and a potential championship in the near future.

The trade for Fultz was bad but he fits perfectly and he is a bluechip talent, his talent is undeniable and I expect him to explode. I was not happy about the Zhaire smith trade but it was done in anticpation for trading for Kawhi which didnt work but got us another future pick which is always welcome. i don't rate Smith though.

Un.be.lievable. A year later guys are still repeating this. With no reason or support for it other than someone else said it on social media or a podcast.

Nonsense, we literally saw a preview of how Ben + another point guard can lead to good ball in game 4 with TJ & Ben and TJ can barely do the things Markelle can do. It will work.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,703

Post#1178 » by the_process » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:45 pm

Jokic is an undeniable talent who deserves a max in a vacuum, but IRL his lack of rim protection makes him very difficult to build a defense around. Which in turn makes it very difficult to win big or to be a real contender, regardless of his advanced stats. Wonder if you could get a rim protector and just try to hide Jokic on the opposing worst forward...
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#1179 » by Kobblehead » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:10 pm

Both Budenholzer and Stevens have built an elite defense with Al Horford. Denver's defensive problems are the sieves they have on the perimeter. Jokic can't protect the rim, but he's still a really good defender. Just like Big Al.
Ericb5
RealGM
And1: 3,377

Post#1180 » by Ericb5 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:12 am

76ciology wrote:A big only deserves the max if he can be elite two way player. Not buts and ifs. Just as last great bigs like Shaq, TD or Hakeem.

Not really true. Kat, and Jokic are Max players. They are both capable of defending the 4 at least serviceably so they need to play next to rim protectors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to Philadelphia 76ers