Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

kuclas
General Manager
And1: 3,847

Re: Zion Williamson 

Post#401 » by kuclas » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:31 pm

prime1time wrote:
kuclas wrote:
prime1time wrote:LOL! KD at 210 is not coming close to stopping Zion. In the era of small ball, if this guy develops a passable 3 point shot it's over. No one is stopping him in transition. No one is stopping him when he cuts hard to the hoop. And skinny guys like KD will go flying as soon as Zion puts his body on there's. Already, there's a lack of players that can actually guard him. If he works hard and improve his tallent, he has a chance to be a hof.

KD 2018 is a lot stronger than KD rookie. So don’t see guys who look lanky are weak.

That’s what Zion will have to deal with in the NBA. Taller guys he can’t bully. With rare exception of guys like Charles Barkley and to a lesser degree Larry Johnson. Short “explosive” 6 foot 6 “power forwards” who can handle the ball do not succeed in the nba

What about Charles Barkley? Also, KD was a twig when he came into the league. He's not stopping a 285 pound Zion.

I said KD 2018 can guard Williamson. Not skinny KD 2007. That’s who he would have to deal with if he’s trying to play bully ball. Zion will have to deal with the Morris brothers type of nba players. Guys who are bigger than him and put a body on him.

He’s got to develop a true post up game. That’s the problem with many youngsters these day. Many never are taught to post up anymore. The modern game of space.

Barkley had a post up game coming out of college and fine tuned it even more in the nba.

So it’s a matter how Zion can adjust to the next level of competition. Cause defenders will be bigger almost as quick and his advantage becomes smaller and smaller.
skiz2
Bench Warmer
And1: 184

Post#402 » by skiz2 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:05 pm

kuclas wrote:
prime1time wrote:
kuclas wrote:
KD 2018 is a lot stronger than KD rookie. So don’t see guys who look lanky are weak.

That’s what Zion will have to deal with in the NBA. Taller guys he can’t bully. With rare exception of guys like Charles Barkley and to a lesser degree Larry Johnson. Short “explosive” 6 foot 6 “power forwards” who can handle the ball do not succeed in the nba

What about Charles Barkley? Also, KD was a twig when he came into the league. He's not stopping a 285 pound Zion.

I said KD 2018 can guard Williamson. Not skinny KD 2007. That’s who he would have to deal with if he’s trying to play bully ball. Zion will have to deal with the Morris brothers type of nba players. Guys who are bigger than him and put a body on him.

He’s got to develop a true post up game. That’s the problem with many youngsters these day. Many never are taught to post up anymore. The modern game of space.

Barkley had a post up game coming out of college and fine tuned it even more in the nba.

So it’s a matter how Zion can adjust to the next level of competition. Cause defenders will be bigger almost as quick and his advantage becomes smaller and smaller.

I agree with a lot of this. Only thing I disagree with is that I think he can take KD in the post.
kuclas
General Manager

Post#403 » by kuclas » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:10 pm

skiz2 wrote:
kuclas wrote:
prime1time wrote:What about Charles Barkley? Also, KD was a twig when he came into the league. He's not stopping a 285 pound Zion.

I agree with a lot of this. Only thing I disagree with is that I think he can take KD in the post.

So if 2018 KD can’t handle him. Than aging iggy can still handle Zion or draymond.

He just can’t bully ball being undersize under he develops his game. I hope he does. Charles Barkley is my favorite player. But chuck worked on his game.

Zion is just very raw when it comes to offensive arsenal. But u know the history of these type of players. Gifted and over powering as 16-18 years old. Never advance their game and their game doesn’t translate to the nba.

If Zion were so good like 18 year old Lebron. Why isn’t he the consensus number 1 recruit?
skiz2
Bench Warmer
And1: 184

Post#404 » by skiz2 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:35 pm

kuclas wrote:
skiz2 wrote:
kuclas wrote:

So if 2018 KD can’t handle him. Than aging iggy can still handle Zion or draymond.

He just can’t bully ball being undersize under he develops his game. I hope he does. Charles Barkley is my favorite player. But chuck worked on his game.

Zion is just very raw when it comes to offensive arsenal. But u know the history of these type of players. Gifted and over powering as 16-18 years old. Never advance their game and their game doesn’t translate to the nba.

If Zion were so good like 18 year old Lebron. Why isn’t he the consensus number 1 recruit?

It’s physics my man. He will have a lower center of gravity than Durant and has 85 lbs on him. I agree that he could be checked by Durant out on the perimeter. In the post he would have a way hard time checking him, IMHO. The key to success for Zion is to know that when a player like KD is checking him to post up and when the Morris twins are checking him to attack them from the perimeter. This starts with him learning to be more comfortable in the post.

I never claimed Zion to be as good as Lebron or even the number 1 player in the country. I would put him at 4 currently (if you pressed me, my top five would be 1. Barrett 2. Little (dropoff) 3. Reddish 4. Zion 5. Grimes). As someone who goes to AAU tourneys all summer I do I just think he is a hard player to project.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,883
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#405 » by NO-KG-AI » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:28 am

Someone like Golden State would LOVE for Zion to have to shoot over Kevin Durant's long outstretched arms in the post all game, as Durant gets 3's and gets to the line at will with Zion having no chance to contest his shots.

He's a long way from having the post skills to exploit guys who have substantial wingspan advantages over him. LeBron James was a lot longer and more skilled, and he still wasn't able to exploit guys from the post until he was in Miami, about a decade into his career.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
ItsThatEasy
Analyst
And1: 5,031

Post#406 » by ItsThatEasy » Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:39 pm

skiz2 wrote:
kuclas wrote:
skiz2 wrote:

It’s physics my man. He will have a lower center of gravity than Durant and has 85 lbs on him. I agree that he could be checked by Durant out on the perimeter. In the post he would have a way hard time checking him, IMHO. The key to success for Zion is to know that when a player like KD is checking him to post up and when the Morris twins are checking him to attack them from the perimeter. This starts with him learning to be more comfortable in the post.

I never claimed Zion to be as good as Lebron or even the number 1 player in the country. I would put him at 4 currently (if you pressed me, my top five would be 1. Barrett 2. Little (dropoff) 3. Reddish 4. Zion 5. Grimes). As someone who goes to AAU tourneys all summer I do I just think he is a hard player to project.

You realize Zion isn't the first undersized explosive big right? Even LeBron has trouble powering through KD and finishing straight up without fading away or using a floater.

He can bully KD into the paint all he wants, he's gonna have the same problem they all have and that's finishing over length. No matter how close Zion gets to the basketball if he cant explode over KD without a head start then he's simply not going to get a clean look over KD's length.

There's a reason most 6'7 290 lbs athletes play Defensive End and not basketball, they rarely have the skill set or length to be successful.

Now Zion is definitely skilled, I'm a fan of the kid, but to suggest you could just throw him the ball down low and watch him work is just not true at the moment.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,314

Post#407 » by Duke4life831 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:00 pm

ItsThatEasy wrote:
skiz2 wrote:
kuclas wrote:

You realize Zion isn't the first undersized explosive big right? Even LeBron has trouble powering through KD and finishing straight up without fading away or using a floater.

He can bully KD into the paint all he wants, he's gonna have the same problem they all have and that's finishing over length. No matter how close Zion gets to the basketball if he cant explode over KD without a head start then he's simply not going to get a clean look over KD's length.

There's a reason most 6'7 290 lbs athletes play Defensive End and not basketball, they rarely have the skill set or length to be successful.

Now Zion is definitely skilled, I'm a fan of the kid, but to suggest you could just throw him the ball down low and watch him work is just not true at the moment.

Ya Zion is not going to be spending much time down low at Duke or in the NBA. Right now the dude is a slasher/cutter. I can tell you that he is not spending much time if any practicing down in the post on offense at Duke right now. He has been a force in practice when he can get any momentum behind him and his ball handling is coming along very well from what I have heard. Tossing the ball down to him in the post is automatically taking away his biggest strength right now and that is his first step and crazy explosion.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,126

Mt. Zion from the FT line 

Post#408 » by clyde21 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:30 pm

:o :o :o

Read on Twitter
duppyy
RealGM
And1: 13,102

Re: Mt. Zion from the FT line 

Post#409 » by duppyy » Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:35 pm

Duke games are gonna be exciting.
The_Toro
Analyst
And1: 1,621

Post#410 » by The_Toro » Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:36 pm

the kid will be a force
Thank You Turbo_Zone
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,082

Post#411 » by mademan » Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:39 pm

All he needs to do is take care of his body and have a strong motor, and this kid will be a star in the league. no doubt
Mamba Mentality
RealGM
And1: 19,184

Post#412 » by Mamba Mentality » Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:42 pm

Leaping ability at that size...that's just ridiculous. It would be an absolute shame if he didn't make something of himself in the NBA.
CelticsPride18
General Manager
And1: 10,858

Post#413 » by CelticsPride18 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:46 pm

Future Celtic
kuclas
General Manager

Post#414 » by kuclas » Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:48 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
ItsThatEasy wrote:
skiz2 wrote:

Ya Zion is not going to be spending much time down low at Duke or in the NBA. Right now the dude is a slasher/cutter. I can tell you that he is not spending much time if any practicing down in the post on offense at Duke right now. He has been a force in practice when he can get any momentum behind him and his ball handling is coming along very well from what I have heard. Tossing the ball down to him in the post is automatically taking away his biggest strength right now and that is his first step and crazy explosion.

If he’s slashing open court. Scoring dunking etc. That’s all fine and dandy.

Until real nba defense schemes eliminate Zion’s advantages.

He needs to develop his game cause he’s at a height disadvantage moving up the nba ladder with taller and almost just as athletic and stronger players. His advantage will become much smaller.

Just look what Boston did to Ben Simmons another open court guy who can run the pace and space modern game. When the game slows down. Boston sags off Simmons. And Simmons is 3 inches taller.

What’s Zion gonna to do when nba teams cut off the transition game and he has to create on offense or force to shoot.
D.Brasco
General Manager
And1: 9,184

Post#415 » by D.Brasco » Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:49 pm

lambchop
General Manager
And1: 9,131

Post#416 » by lambchop » Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:49 pm

thought he did that in game when I read the title. This used to be somewhat basic dunk for very athletic nba players, so I'm not surprised he can pull it off. Still impressive of course
So many people who attain the heights of power in this culture—celebrities, for instance—have to make a show of false humility and modesty, as if they got as far as they did by accident and not by ego or ambition.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,126

Post#417 » by clyde21 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:56 pm

Read on Twitter
jazzfan1971
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,043

Post#418 » by jazzfan1971 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:02 pm

I'm impressed. I've seen about 5 of these 'from the FT line' dunk threads. This is the first one that is actually from the FT line. All the others were about 4 inches past.
"Thibs called back and wanted more picks," said Jorge Sedano. "And Pat Riley, literally, I was told, called him a mother-bleeper and hung up the phone."
leftsyde
Junior
And1: 796

Post#419 » by leftsyde » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:04 pm

lambchop wrote:thought he did that in game when I read the title. This used to be somewhat basic dunk for very athletic nba players, so I'm not surprised he can pull it off. Still impressive of course

Man this isn’t a foot over the line, this is a legit ft dunk.
How on earth is this basic for athletic players. Please post a vid of some other dunks done from that spot, there should be hundreds since it’s so basic right?
Impuniti
General Manager
And1: 7,138

Post#420 » by Impuniti » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:05 pm

D.Brasco wrote:Image

That is **** NUTS. :oops:

Return to NBA Draft