ImageImageImage

World Series Champion Astros 2018 Game Thread

RaoulDuke79
RealGM
And1: 4,152

Re: World Series Champion Astros 2018 Game Thread 

Post#81 » by RaoulDuke79 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:35 pm

/me gives Jobu his rum back.

Hope that helps...also I sent a request to MLB to let us play every remaining game on the road.
We watched the tragedy unfold. We did as we were told, we bought and sold. It was the greatest show on Earth...but then it was over.
jackdog7
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#82 » by jackdog7 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:52 pm

The Astros suck. Look, I hate the Mariners with a passion, but this joke of a four game sweep revealed what the Astros are. Carlos Correa should retire from the game as a one-hit wonder. Go back on the DL, Carlos, where the rest of your teammates are. It really paid off to get rid of Giles. Now, Rondon is the new choker for the Astros, not the closer----the choker.

Yesterday's Mariner starter, Ramirez, had an ERA of 10.5 coming into the game. He pitched 5 scoreless innings against the joke Astros. Those guys should all go to AAA and bring up their Fresno farm club to finish the season. What a bunch of losers!!!!!
jackdog7
Ballboy

Post#83 » by jackdog7 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:51 pm

Correa should think about retiring immediately, instead of continuing to embarrass himself. He had one hit in the series and that was because the pitched ball hit his bat when he was checking his swing. Can't blame his injury, as he was only hitting .265 when he went on the DL. Maybe he can get a job in Miami as a little league coach based on the accomplishment of his one season when he was worth anything. Retire, Carlos, before your lifetime batting average falls below .230.

I can understand the excuse of having 3 of your starters on the DL, but, c'mon, the rest of the team can't hit Erasmo Ramirez and his 10.5 ERA. The rest of the American league found a way to go off on him and the Astros couldn't? Just more evidence of how far this team has fallen.

Verlander was going for career win 200 in his Thursday start. This was a start when his team desperately needed a win from him. So, what happened? The choker gave up 6 runs in 2 innings and a bad weekend was off to a bad start. Nice going, Justin.

From top to bottom, this team sucks right now and will not recover in time to even be a Wild Card. During the offseason, they should figure out why all their players go on the DL. Nice going, Springer, you come off the DL for your shoulder and you promptly mess up your thumb. Good timing, George. But, most of all, Correa must retire. If he won't do that, then he should be traded while Houston could at least get a couple of AA prospects for his sorry butt.
Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,510
Location: Defending Planet Earth with a Jet-Pack & a Ray-Gun!

Post#84 » by Mr. E » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:12 pm

The Astros are in a bad stretch right now, but I'm thinking that it would be a knee-jerk reaction to trade Correa.

Sometimes it takes time to get right again.
"A fanatic is one who can't change their mind and won't change the subject."
- Winston Churchill
jackdog7
Ballboy

Post#85 » by jackdog7 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:32 pm

Mr. E: You are thinking like a rational, sane person would think about Correa. My reaction was a knee-jerk reaction. However, as I pointed out, the guy was hitting .265 before he went on the DL in June. Is that the BA of a guy who is supposed to be the next super star of the game? Yes, I can understand the attitude of letting him play some more games to get used to seeing top notch pitching again. However, he could not hit Wade LeBlanc, who tops out at 85 mph; Mike Leake, who tops out at 89 and Erasmo Ramirez, who had a 10.5 ERA when he took the mound against the Astros.

What more could he want for his return? It was gift wrapped for a guy just off the DL and he could not hit those three losers. I still say give serious consideration to trading him while the other teams think he is still worth something. One would think that he would be so embarrassed about his Mariner performance that he would do the team a favor and just retire. However, it would be better to trade him as at least the team would get something back for him, instead of just salary relief. The guy is a one-hit wonder and needs to go.

Springer might want to think about taking tuba lessons, as the sport of baseball is too strenuous for him. I am so pissed at that team right now for this massive choke against the Mariners. Don't they have any pride? Or, are their salaries enough for them? Watch Verlander choke another one against the Rockies tomorrow night. It actually does not matter what he does because they have six games left against the Mariners and a bunch more against the A's and they will choke them all; or at least the vast majority of them. Gutless wonders!!!
RaoulDuke79
RealGM

Post#86 » by RaoulDuke79 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:17 pm

Solid suggestions, but personally I think it'd be easier just to have them all killed. It's not as if they don't deserve it for playing mediocre baseball during a short sample size of games, you know?

Also, fire Luhnow and Hinch immediately, as they've shown absolutely no ability to build or lead a contending team to the postseason, let alone deep into the postseason, let alone to a championship. Blow it up now, I say. Better than lingering in mediocrity for another decade clinging on to a bunch of scrub losers who have the audacity to struggle during a long, strenuous baseball season.

Maybe Springer is too busy focusing on helping kids overcome their speech impediments that he forgot he's supposed to be a baseball player first and foremost. Screw those kids, you're job is to entertain ME! I say we have him castrated on national television, but then again, he clearly has no balls to begin with so that would be a waste of time. What a complete taint, that guy!

Really it's all Altuve's fault anyways. If he had never gone on the DL we'd be undefeated right now. He should be promptly booed out of town and banned from MLB permanently, IMO. Guy ain't that good anyways, just another mediocre midget pretending to be a ball player.

What a bunch of talentless ass clowns, how dare they go through a tough stretch of games while trying to overcome injuries, and how dare they get injured in the first place! Don't they know they're supposed to perform exactly how I wish them to perform at all times without exception? Who the hell do these losers think they are?!

Damn them, damn them all to hell, I say...
We watched the tragedy unfold. We did as we were told, we bought and sold. It was the greatest show on Earth...but then it was over.
jackdog7
Ballboy

Post#87 » by jackdog7 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:14 am

I appreciate your sarcasm about my unrealistic suggestions. But, I'll stand by trading Correa while other teams still think he has value. Was going thru the whole post season last year too strenuous for him? That would explain his mediocre .265 BA and 3 HRs before he went on the DL for a sore back. A sore back at 23, or whatever? C'mon.

I don't need to be entertained by athletes, but I do expect that athletes that get accolades perform like they deserve them. There is no way to explain Verlander's choke except that even the best occasionally have bad games. But, at a time when the team desperately needs a good game from you, Justin, you go and choke one out by giving up 6 in two innings. That is inexcusable. Just like Correa has no excuse for being a choker in his three game return. He laughed at first base when his only hit occurred when the ball hit the bat when he was trying to check his swing. I would have been so damn embarrassed that I would have wanted to hide and not laugh my butt off at first base. That was better than his double plays at his other ABs.

C'mon, they couldn't get a few runs off LeBlanc, Leake and Erasmo (the Big ERA of 10.5) Ramirez? What the hell kind of choke was that for what is left of this sad bunch of chokers. They don't need to fire Hinch. What else can the guy do except play the chumps who are left on his bench after everyone decides to go all DL on him. Even one of his starting pitchers couldn't resist and went DL himself. Probably was just tired and needed some time off. Springer does great things for kids, but that does not excuse getting all injured when his team desperately needs him. As for Altuve, it is what it is and he is just another DL casualty which is very bizarre. We'll see what happens when he gets back, but it won't make much difference because they are still left with Springer hitting .250 and Correa hitting .250 also. Those two sickly BAs won't cut it against the Mariners and A's who are functioning from the top to the bottom of their lineups. The Astros can only wish they had Cruz or Davis or Segura at short instead of that sickly Correa.

I appreciate you calling me on bashing these guys during a tough stretch due to unwanted injuries. But, even you have to admit that Correa sucks this year. He is a guy who was supposed to be one of the next superstars of the game. He is hitting .250 and has 13 HRs. He had a chance to come back from the DL and show that he is superstar quality. What did he do instead? Choke, choke, choke and more chokes. That is a superstar? That is trade bait.

Here is another thing to think about. Ever hear of the 2005 White Sox. You should know plenty of them since you are a Houston fan. They won the WS in 2005 and have been horrible ever since. Every once in awhile, a team gets lucky and puts it all together. But, it cannot sustain excellence for any length of time. That is the story for Correa and Springer. Altuve is just great period and has been a star hitter forever. Springer and Correa were one-hit wonders who got it together for last year and, since then, have resumed their roles as mediocre performers. It happens and it is happening right now to the Astros.

None of this matters, because even if they somehow recover from this tailspin, they will get whacked by the Red Sox and have no hope of advancing beyond the ALCS. In fact, I would expect them to get bounced from their first playoff encounter this year, if they got lucky to get that far. But, at this rate, 3d in the AL West is not gonna get them there.
jackdog7
Ballboy

Post#88 » by jackdog7 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:35 am

Here is another take on the Astros. It is too bad that they are going through a tough stretch right now with three starters out (Altuve, McCann and Springer) and one who has just returned from the DL and needs to get his game back (Correa).

It is too bad that Verlander picked a lousy time to have that really bad game that even dominant pitchers occasionally have (this past Thursday).

It is too bad that the lineup the Astros had for the Mariner series could not hit LeBlanc, Leake and Ramirez, especially when Ramirez had an ERA of 10.5 coming into the game yesterday. But, I guess, just like Verlander had his unexpected bad game, Ramirez had his unexpected good game.

It is too bad that they have not had a MLB quality closer for over a year now and chose not to get someone to fill that role at the trade deadline. Instead, they stayed the course with Rondon, who even the Cubs got rid of. Of course, it was too bad that Rondon gave up the tying run in his closer role with two outs in the ninth yesterday by serving a fat pitch right down the middle that got whacked to somewhere near Lubbock.

It is too bad that they don't have guys on the bench who can hit mediocre pitching. But, there aren't too many teams who have quality guys on the bench who can step up for injured starters.

It is too bad that Springer and Correa are hitting .250 in their years after the WS win in which they were supposed to show just how good they are.

However, I am sure that despite all these negative occurrences, they will ultimately recover and rule the West again, even without a closer.

How is that for being optimistic and understanding and not expecting too much from a bunch of overpaid athletes?
jackdog7
Ballboy

Post#89 » by jackdog7 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:40 am

By the way, after the game yesterday, Correa said that the team would be okay when everyone got back because the team's players are too good not to do well. Why didn't he add that he hopes that the rest of guys could carry him while he continued to hit .250 and go basically hitless against three chump throwers? At some point, he has to own up to being a choker this year who is not doing squat. At least he would be putting the turd in the correct pocket. Don't just whine about guys being on the DL, Carlos, do something about it and do what you are supposed to be doing-----hit the damn ball for hits, not double plays.
macz
Ballboy

Post#90 » by macz » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:28 am

I think Correra's hand is still a concern. He is still better then 90 percent of the short stops out there, even hitting a mediocre .250 74 runs 20 hrs and 80 rbi's...no doubt he will bounce back strong here over the next 10-45 days and carry the Astros while they get Springer and Altuve back in action for the post season. Stop with the negativity, it is what it is, but complaining won't accomplish anything.
jackdog7
Ballboy

Post#91 » by jackdog7 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:22 am

So not only was/is his back a problem, but he also has a hand problem? Will these injuries ever stop? I think his big problem is that he is supposed to be a star and he is hitting .250 and has 3 HRs. To me, that is the problem.

By the way, the only thing I would blame the GM for is not getting a real MLB closer over the winter; or before this season's trade deadline. It was obvious to anyone following the game that even last fall, Giles sucked and had zero quality. I have no idea why they kept him, only to see him choke again. So, they failed to get themselves a real closer and it has cost them like it did last night. I can't see how they can expect to be a quality team without a closer and with "superstars" who are hitting .250. Why Correa could not hit Erasmo Ramirez with his 10.5 ERA is way beyond me.

It will be funny to see them close out the homestand with two losses to the Rockies and then off to Oakland and Seattle to get whacked again. By then, the season may be over for those guys. If not then, then it will be after they come home again and face the A's who will kick their butts at home as well as on the road. It is beginning to look like Altuve will not make it back this year. Knees are not a good thing to have a problem with and you know that the team is lying when they say he will recover. Just like they did when they said that Correa was ready to play after his rehab assignment. He should have stayed in the minors and learned how to hit again. If he couldn't hit Erasmo Ramirez, he needs a lot of help and practice.
RaoulDuke79
RealGM

Post#92 » by RaoulDuke79 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:37 am

jackdog7
Ballboy

Post#93 » by jackdog7 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:10 am

How about Tucker yesterday with no outs and the bases loaded? What does he do when he only has to get the bat on the ball? Of course, he takes a fast ball right down the middle of the plate-----strike three-----you are out, Kyle and should be on your way back to Fresno where Correa should join you for some seasoning and batting practice.
jackdog7
Ballboy

Post#94 » by jackdog7 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:29 pm

The Astros' problem is that either its injured players aren't coming back for a long, long time; or, if they do, they will not come back and succeed ala Correa. Correa, in 76 games this year, has struck out almost as many times as he stuck out last year when he played 109 games. I guess he missed a bunch of games last year due to injury also. Is he injury prone and destined to miss major portions of every season? That is a sure sign of his downfall and why he should be dumped. Or, he needs to start playing full-time and be the leader he is supposed to be, especially with Altuve, Springer and McCann out. Frankly, I don't think he has it in him to be that kind of leader when the chips are down. I know it is also reasonable to think he might come back in future years as he is young. Still, if he can't hit LeBlanc, Leake and Erasmo (MY ERA is 10.5) Ramirez any better than he did his past weekend, it is a sure sign that his star is fading fast. He is 1 for 11 since coming back and his only hit came on a check swing and that was against 3 of the weakest chuckers in baseball.

With the exception of Verlander, the Astros pitching during the Mariner series was decent. They lost because they could not hit and more of that is on the way with the absences of Altuve, McCann and Springer and Correa's inability to hit. When Altuve comes back, he will resume his great ways, but Springer, McCann and Correa are lost causes this year, so don't expect them to start scoring runs when, and if, those guys ever return. It was fun while it lasted. Now, it's over.
jackdog7
Ballboy

Post#95 » by jackdog7 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:57 pm

Ack, ack, ack, ack, ack.........What's that sound? It's the sound of Correa choking when the pressure is on. Another ofer night for the budding "superstar". This time it was 0 for 4. Maybe he should call Acuna of the Braves and see if he will give him any tips on how to hit. Or, more realistically, maybe the Astros should send him to AA to brush up on his hitting. Do not send him to AAA. That would be too difficult for him. He should spend the rest of the year at the AA level; or even rookie league. Then, he might be ready to come back to the Astros for spring training in 2019 and work on his hitting again after spending all winter in some Puerto Rican league honing the art. After all that, he could be a solid .250 hitter next year.

P.S. Carlos (The Next Superstar) Correa is now 1 for 15 since he return from the DL. That is a sweet .066 BA. His only hit came off a check swing. Maybe he should work on hitting with the check swing, instead of the full swing used by all the other hitters in the history of the game.

P.P.S. In reality, it is just a tragedy that the Astros have been hit with their rash of injuries, especially to all their star players. It ain't fair to have to put their weakened lineup on display every night. However, it is just as tragic that guys like Correa can't step it up to help the team while it is down. That is what stars are supposed to do-----carry a team when it is down. So, just reassess him and label him as an average player who is dependent on the rest of the team catching fire and can't lead the way.
jackdog7
Ballboy

Post#96 » by jackdog7 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:01 am

They won one yesterday with a lot of offense and even Correa got a hit. Hopefully, they can keep it going against the A's this weekend; and then the Mariners again next week.
jackdog7
Ballboy

Post#97 » by jackdog7 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:20 pm

No offense-----no closer-----no problem. Wrong! Correa still sucks as he got another 0fer last night. Of course, Rondon, blew his second save in a row and Sip was not much better. The GM should be fired immediately for not getting them a closer last winter; or before this summer's trade deadline. He should also be fired for not sending Correa back down to AA right now to learn how to hit; or at least bunt, since he just strikes out most of the time since he came back from the DL. Took one looking today and they are already on their way to losing another with only one hit thru 4. Correa truly should be benched or sent to the minors. The guy is a chump this year. Getting swept by the Athletics and then the Mariners should seal their unfortunate fate.
jackdog7
Ballboy

Post#98 » by jackdog7 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:22 am

Another 0fer for Correa. What is he like 2 for 30 since he got off the DL? Give it up, Carlos. It's over. The whole team got one hit off Trevor Cahill, who got dumped by the Mariners and the Cubs. Guess it does not take much to shut down the Astros these days. Unfortunately, it will take a lot more than the return of Altuve to revive this dead pile of muck. They'll never be able to prove me wrong, though, because Altuve ain't coming back this year. I wonder how he will be after his surgery. What a sad, sad team.

It reminds me of when Samuel Jackson blows off Robert Deniro's head in Jackie Brown. Just before he does it, he looks at DeNiro and asks him: "What the hell happened to you, you used to be so beautiful." Unfortunately, the Astros have to finish the season and experience the agony and torment. After the A's sweep them, the Mariners will repeat the process. Baseball games cannot be won without hitting and the Astros don't have it, so they don't win. Well, at least they had one good year and a great one it was. Maybe the Rockets can be the new darling in Houston, at least until Chris Paul goes AWOL again.
jackdog7
Ballboy

Post#99 » by jackdog7 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:08 pm

The offense busted out today and I am glad about it. Even the chump Correa got a hit. The A's still get a turn in the bottom of the ninth and I don't even the Astros' bullpen can blow this one with a 9-4 lead. Hopefully, the get Altuve back and in healthy condition and win some games in Seattle, altho I sure don't believe in them yet, especially as long as Correa is in the lineup. Verlander got whacked again, though. He certainly has fallen apart lately, just like the rest of the squad.
jackdog7
Ballboy

Post#100 » by jackdog7 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:43 pm

Another 0fer for Correa. Only this time, he also had a throwing error. Why doesn't he just go to HInch and tell him he sucks and should be sent down to the minors. He is a complete chump and is now hitting under .250. Cano was off for 80 games and he has come back and gotten several hits including the 3 run homer last night that won the game and showed that the Astro bullpen still sucks. Correa is one miserable supposed star and should either go to the minors to improve his game (if possible); or retire from baseball and get a job in the hospitality industry.

Return to Houston Astros