Image ImageImage Image

OT: Bears 2018 & 2019 Regular Season Thread

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

MalagaBulls
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,937
Location: Malaga, Spain (Where the Sun shines 300 days a year))

OT: Bears 2018 & 2019 Regular Season Thread 

Post#1 » by MalagaBulls » Sat Sep 1, 2018 2:59 pm

HearshotKDS
Sixth Man
And1: 881

Re: OT: Bears trade for Khalil Mack 

Post#2 » by HearshotKDS » Sat Sep 1, 2018 3:39 pm

Super excited, despite the large price tag. Don't know what OAK is doing.

With this though, timeline of expectations moves up drastically. Bears need to be deep in playoffs by next season at the latest.
RememberLu
RealGM
And1: 8,448

Post#3 » by RememberLu » Sat Sep 1, 2018 4:09 pm

NFL media seems to believe this was a coup for Chicago and Pace won the trade. We'll see. It makes me nervous to invest so much in one player, great as he is, it's still football and all it takes is one injury to turn this trade from a victory to a disaster.

But for now, there's no reason to be pessimistic. Let us celebrate the biggest trade the Bears have pulled off since the Cutler deal
Dresden
RealGM
And1: 5,857

Post#4 » by Dresden » Sat Sep 1, 2018 4:28 pm

The Bears defense could be exceptional this season, with Mack, Smith, Floyd and Hicks. That's 4 potentially very disruptive players. If they can stay healthy, they should be markedly improved on that side of the ball. Offense worries me, as Trubisky is still so unproven, and the O line is shaky. But this should take them from a 7-7 team to one that could win 9 or 10 and make the playoffs.
Stratmaster
RealGM
And1: 8,310

Post#5 » by Stratmaster » Sat Sep 1, 2018 4:40 pm

Yep I just changed my prediction from 7 wins to 9. A disruptive pass rusher is to me the 2nd most impactful player you can have.

Sent from my SM-G965U using RealGM mobile app
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,639

Post#6 » by sco » Sat Sep 1, 2018 4:49 pm

Did they really give-up 2 1st rounders?
:clap:
TheFinishSniper
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,244

Post#7 » by TheFinishSniper » Sat Sep 1, 2018 4:55 pm

Great move by Bears. They wouldnt trade two 1st if they werent sure they are ready. Which means they have huge trust in Trubisky.
CjayC
RealGM
And1: 1,141

Post#8 » by CjayC » Sat Sep 1, 2018 5:53 pm

Gruden has to be out of his mind. Supposedly he didn't make any effort to reach out to Mack since January. The pieces are in place, it depends on #10 stepping up now.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,702

Post#9 » by dougthonus » Sat Sep 1, 2018 6:13 pm

I hope it works out. I'm not optimistic though. Most times in the NFL when there is a multiple 1sts for ap layer, then team getting the picks wins.

This is for a few reasons:
1: 1st round picks are highly likely to be impact players on reasonable deals for 5 years. This gives you a good chance of 10 years of high talent, cost controlled assets.

2: The player will typically command a near league high salary if he's worth multiple picks and then even if he delivers on value, odds are that salary space will make the value only so-so.

I'd say your odds of this trade working for you when the player traded for is not a star quarterback are much lower still.

I have considerable fear that Pace knows the patience with his rebuild is done. He's had 3 losing years. He can't go for 4 and 5 and keep his job. The NFL simply is too parity driven to be lousy for 5 years and still be good at what you're doing. This looks to me like a move where he gave up way too much to get a guy that can hopefully push the team to 8 wins and start to show some progress.

On the plus side, even if this move is likely to be poor in the long run, the Bears will be more interesting this year.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,334

Post#10 » by fleet » Sat Sep 1, 2018 6:21 pm

NSFW
Spoiler:
Read on Twitter
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#11 » by fleet » Sat Sep 1, 2018 6:25 pm

sco wrote:Did they really give-up 2 1st rounders?

AND A PLAYER?

In the scheme of things, you would pay that price for a division winner/Conference finalist. So that's how you have to look at it. Pressure is enormous. I like it. I loved the Trubisky trade because Pace dared to be great, and he continues to dare to be great. I haven't been the biggest fan of his over his first few years, but the last year or so, hell yeah.
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,429

Post#12 » by Susan » Sat Sep 1, 2018 6:34 pm

dougthonus wrote:I hope it works out. I'm not optimistic though. Most times in the NFL when there is a multiple 1sts for ap layer, then team getting the picks wins.

This is for a few reasons:
1: 1st round picks are highly likely to be impact players on reasonable deals for 5 years. This gives you a good chance of 10 years of high talent, cost controlled assets.

2: The player will typically command a near league high salary if he's worth multiple picks and then even if he delivers on value, odds are that salary space will make the value only so-so.

I'd say your odds of this trade working for you when the player traded for is not a star quarterback are much lower still.

I have considerable fear that Pace knows the patience with his rebuild is done. He's had 3 losing years. He can't go for 4 and 5 and keep his job. The NFL simply is too parity driven to be lousy for 5 years and still be good at what you're doing. This looks to me like a move where he gave up way too much to get a guy that can hopefully push the team to 8 wins and start to show some progress.

On the plus side, even if this move is likely to be poor in the long run, the Bears will be more interesting this year.

Pass rushers at his age, at his level never become available.

Having an elite pass rusher in his prime is every bit as impactful as having an elite QB in his prime. All of the other moves Pace has made on the defensive side of the ball will all look a whole lot better with Mack causing so much disruption.

The rebuild is done. They've got an elite defense. They've got weapons on offense. They have two players on the entire roster over the age of 30 (Sherick McManus and our long-snapper) and a vast majority of this team is 26 & below. They're putting so much support around Mitch that it's going to be very hard for him to fail which is the exact opposite to what they did to Cutler.
Dresden
RealGM
And1: 5,857

Post#13 » by Dresden » Sat Sep 1, 2018 7:01 pm

I would disagree that first round picks are "highly likely to be impact players". Maybe top 5 picks, or top 8 picks. Even then, there are a fair amount of players that don't pan out (Kevin White, and so far Floyd has not been that impactful).

I think the big risk is the amount of salary they will need to commit to Mack to keep him. But they don't need to pay Trubisky for a number of years yet, so they have the room.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#14 » by fleet » Sat Sep 1, 2018 7:09 pm

I have a feeling the player is either Iggy or Trevathan. Iggy I guess. Thats what the Raiders need, an ILB. I had said I would only trade a 1st rounder and Iggy and some other mid pick(s). So I disagree with the compensation, but I don't veto approval. This is fun.
Susan
RealGM

Post#15 » by Susan » Sat Sep 1, 2018 7:14 pm

Read on Twitter

FRANCHISE PLAYER.
Repeat 3-peat
RealGM
And1: 14,568

Post#16 » by Repeat 3-peat » Sat Sep 1, 2018 7:36 pm

Read on Twitter

Bears get a 2nd round pick back.
Susan
RealGM

Post#17 » by Susan » Sat Sep 1, 2018 7:36 pm

Read on Twitter

We get back a 2nd in 2020 when the Raiders suck? Holy cow.
Betta Bulleavit
Head Coach
And1: 2,613

Post#18 » by Betta Bulleavit » Sat Sep 1, 2018 7:44 pm

Good trade. Good freaking trade. Guys like this one don’t come available in their prime very often. And we had competition for him. We just won on a deal that brings us a second rounder too. No complaints.
Chicago-Bull-E
RealGM
And1: 7,223

Post#19 » by Chicago-Bull-E » Sat Sep 1, 2018 7:54 pm

Getting the second rounder back helps quite a bit. They'll have 2 in 2020 and could use those pretty easily to trade back into the 1st round if they wanted to.

The Bears were 10th in defense last year, in large part due to Vic Fangio, and without a superstar on that end. Now, I'd expect this defense to be top 5 with all their starters returning, and adding Roquan and Mack. They'll be fun to watch.

Assuming health, this team will certainly be competing for a playoff spot.
KC: Do you still think you're a championship-caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if I'm wrong
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#20 » by fleet » Sat Sep 1, 2018 8:01 pm

Nice. No extra player added. And the Bears can still draft high in 2020. Good deal.

Roquan and Trevathan inside. Mack and Floyd outside. Jackson deep. This all makes me feel better about smallish Ilbs. The speed is what they need right now.

Return to Chicago Bulls