ImageImageImageImageImage

Josh Donaldson traded to [the Indians] for something because Passan says so

Moderator: JaysRule15

Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,097

Re: Josh Donaldson traded to [the Indians] for something because Passan says so 

Post#121 » by Schad » Sun Sep 2, 2018 2:33 am

BramptonYute wrote:would merryweather be on trade waivers and get claimed tho?

No, because no team would execute a trade waivers claim on a player who won't be healthy until the offseason.
**** your asterisk.
rotty
Head Coach
And1: 35,090

Post#122 » by rotty » Sun Sep 2, 2018 4:34 am

Fairview4Life wrote:
So_Fresh wrote:this is what i don't **** understand. Why was it a good risk to go for it this season? We were one of the oldest teams in baseball before the start of this season. With Boston and NY having a superior team in all areas like pitching, hitting and fielding. This organization is delusional. **** them.

Basically the story was that there was enough talent to compete for WC#2 without signing anyone big and without hurting the farm. So we could have it both ways by stealth rebuilding on the fly. And then if it didn’t work we’d be able to move our big names like Donaldson at the deadline to push the rebuild, or if it did work we’d have another exciting September. But that would have required everything to go right to compete, which is only a thing that happens to the Royals, and then guys like Donaldson and Osuna to not have their value go into the tank before August. Which obviously didn’t happen. So we’re in the worst case scenario, which was probably the second most likely scenario ahead of actually competing.

The worst case scenario also isn’t terrible. Still have a bunch of good prospects, just couldn’t get more for Donaldson or Osuna.

Trying to compete for the wildcard in 2018 wasnt totally a bad decision. Part of the reason this season sucked so much was because Stroman, Donaldson were injured and Osuna had his assault thing happen. But then again I didnt think the second wild card would be so far away.

Didnt expect Oakland and Seattle to be as good as they are. I was also being optimistic about the season. And then everything that could go wrong, went wrong.
Tanner
Veteran
And1: 4,173

Post#123 » by Tanner » Sun Sep 2, 2018 10:45 am

Schad wrote:
BramptonYute wrote:would merryweather be on trade waivers and get claimed tho?

No, because no team would execute a trade waivers claim on a player who won't be healthy until the offseason.

I don’t think it’s even possible to put an injured player through waivers (hence why JD had to rehab a few days before the deadline). So if it is Merryweather then they can’t announce him until the season is over.

I think there’s an outside chance it could be someone else on Cle’s 40 man (Diaz, Mercado, Chang), but there seems to be smoke to the Merryweather stuff.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#124 » by Schad » Sun Sep 2, 2018 11:38 am

Donaldson was still on the 60-day; can't see why you wouldn't be able to do so, and his rehab stint was probably more about demonstrating to potential suitors that he still had legs and stuff.
**** your asterisk.
Scorpion King
Lead Assistant
And1: 666

Post#125 » by Scorpion King » Sun Sep 2, 2018 12:47 pm

I am tired of this FO and Ownership. If they only traded Donaldson, Happ, Estrada, Smoak and Stroman earlier.

I am hoping people boycott bluejays game moving forward until they put quality young players. Hopefully this sends a message to FO to rebuild completely. Get rid of Morales, Tulo they are dead weight in the offseason.
So_Fresh
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,450

Post#126 » by So_Fresh » Sun Sep 2, 2018 12:51 pm

Atkins believes Blue Jays will be competitive in 3 years. Does he really believe fans will have the patience and understanding to wait for another 3 years for this team to be competitive?
C Court
RealGM
And1: 25,109

Post#127 » by C Court » Sun Sep 2, 2018 1:43 pm

johanliebert wrote:
Scott Hall wrote:
Read on Twitter

To sell tickets..or mediocrity as he put it lmao.

These local journalists talk like they have front office experience. Why would a company nit want to bank on the great attendance they had in those years do these guys ever consider the business aspect?

Too many journalists in this city speak on things above their pay grade quite often. Whether it’s about the moves aa made or shatkins recent decisions.

Jeff Simmons is not a real journalist. He is Steve Simmons’ son and he’s in his 20’s. He was writing for Sportsnet, but was let go. So when he says “what I’ve seen in a long time”, he means “what I’ve seen in the past 10 years”.

Edit: Simmons has been selling life insurance for the last couple of years. So he’s not a journalist.
NBA Champion Toronto Raptors
C Court
RealGM
And1: 25,109

Post#128 » by C Court » Sun Sep 2, 2018 2:07 pm

While I understood why the Jays didn’t trade Josh at the end of last year, in hindsight it was a big mistake not moving him. That said, Josh’s health didn’t help the situation.

I heard Brunt late last week talk about the change in MLB that occurred after the Pujols signing. While there was the Price signing, almost no one is willing to hand out multi-year, big dollar contracts for older players. Apparently, the players are considering filing a collusion case against the owners, depending on how the upcoming free agent signing season goes. But, like Brunt said (even though he’d love to see the owners lose a collusion case), the fact is that not one over-30 free agent in recent years, has been worth a long, mega-dollar contract.

Bautista and Edwin turned down deals from the Jays that were better than what they settled for. While we don’t know the terms of Josh’s extension offer, it likely will be equal to or less than what he signs for this off season.

Based on his health and age, Brunt said that Donaldson spent the year watching hundred dollar bills fly away each day as he ages/remains hurt. That’s the new MLB. Teams want young controllable assets, not aging, big money, fading stars.
NBA Champion Toronto Raptors
Brinbe
RealGM
And1: 35,477

Post#129 » by Brinbe » Sun Sep 2, 2018 2:32 pm

Yeah, that's just sports in general. Most players/athletes, regardless of sport, usually peak in their mid-late 20s, so teams now know there's usually no sense in overpaying for past results. There's always outliers like a Cronaldo/LeBron/Mayweather but they're freaks of nature who dedicate themselves year round to maintaining their bodies and even they've lost a step or two. Time and aging. It's inescapable.

Which is a roundabout way to say that it was doubly dumb not to ship out our aging guys a few years ago while they still had value. Always better to be too early then too late.

And I think fans would've been more receptive to a rebuild then this muddled mess they've left for us. Pick a direction, a vision, a focus, market it correctly and don't treat your paying customers like idiots. The Astros/Cubs showed the model and it's not half-arsing a rebuild. http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/22815820/houston-astros-chicago-cubs-set-path-winning-losing
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#130 » by Schad » Sun Sep 2, 2018 3:04 pm

So_Fresh wrote:Atkins believes Blue Jays will be competitive in 3 years. Does he really believe fans will have the patience and understanding to wait for another 3 years for this team to be competitive?

The fans don't have a choice. We can't snap our fingers and be competitive, and trying would be foolish.
**** your asterisk.
bluerap23
Head Coach
And1: 6,574

Post#131 » by bluerap23 » Sun Sep 2, 2018 4:49 pm

Scorpion King wrote:I am tired of this FO and Ownership. If they only traded Donaldson, Happ, Estrada, Smoak and Stroman earlier.

I am hoping people boycott bluejays game moving forward until they put quality young players. Hopefully this sends a message to FO to rebuild completely. Get rid of Morales, Tulo they are dead weight in the offseason.

This is likely the result of ownership meddling. Keep in mind that when Shapiro was first joining the organization we were already primed for a tear down. Then AA stripped the farm and we had two good seasons out of nowhere. I'm sure ownership liked those $$ coming in and have forced managements into this middle road.

Now that the teardown is imminent (and hopefully ownership on board) we should see what Shatkins can do with the gloves off.

Re: ticket sales
That is already happening. My father-in-law is not renewing for the first time since 77. And the numbers are way down. Ownership will get the message.
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,406

Post#132 » by WuTang_OG » Sun Sep 2, 2018 5:44 pm

Rogers and Shatkins are a bunch of morons.

JD was never going to be re-signed by them, they knew this, yet they decided to not trade him the off-season and take a risk and let him play it out this year and deal him at the deadline.

Bafoons.

Get these guys out of here.
Mehar
Analyst
And1: 2,228

Post#133 » by Mehar » Sun Sep 2, 2018 7:51 pm

WuTang_OG wrote:Rogers and Shatkins are a bunch of morons.

JD was never going to be re-signed by them, they knew this, yet they decided to not trade him the off-season and take a risk and let him play it out this year and deal him at the deadline.

Bafoons.

Get these guys out of here.

Total idiotic move. It is funny to hear the Blue Jays apologists like Mike Shillner, and others on the Rogers Payroll defend trading
a former MVP for a player to be named later. I and a couple of other posters in this forum said last November/December, when the Cardinals were dangling their top prospects in a package for Donaldson, that it was the time to make a deal with St. Louis. Instead of a couple of top high ceiling Cardinals prospects in a package, we are left with a PTBNL. Even if Donaldson had a monster year, he was not going to be signed by Shatkins. Absolute horrible asset management. This franchise has little to show for Bautista, EE, and now Donaldson. Absolute disgrace.
-MetA4-
Head Coach
And1: 465

Post#134 » by -MetA4- » Sun Sep 2, 2018 8:54 pm

This isn't a regular PTBNL, so I'm not sure why that term keeps getting thrown around maliciously. They didn't send nearly $3 million with Donaldson to get back a AAAA arm. Even if its the Merryweather kid, read the reports on his actual stuff. They know that system well and most of that Cleveland core you see today was built around supposed throwaway acquisitions who ended up actually being outstanding scouting decisions. Billy McKinney has been worth nearly the twice the wins of Happ since that trade went down.
JaysRule15
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 120,003

Post#135 » by JaysRule15 » Sun Sep 2, 2018 10:00 pm

It's tough see us waste every single asset we had. Happ, JD, Estrada, Smoak, Osuna, etc., all of these guys should've been moved last year to jump start the next generation. Instead, we made the asinine decision to contend while making zero major upgrades last offseason. And were relying on a bunch of aging vets to take us to the playoffs, in a division where we all saw the Yankees and Red Sox re-establishing themselves as bonafide contenders. It was stupidity to the extreme.

The sad part is that you didn't even need to be an expert to see this train wreck coming. Read the posts from last season, the majority of this board saw this team struggling to win games this season. There just weren't enough "sure things" on the roster, and we were relying way too hard for people to bounce back, stay healthy and for everything else to go right. Things hardly work out like that in real life.
Mehar
Analyst

Post#137 » by Mehar » Sun Sep 2, 2018 10:52 pm

JaysRule15 wrote:It's tough see us waste every single asset we had. Happ, JD, Estrada, Smoak, Osuna, etc., all of these guys should've been moved last year to jump start the next generation. Instead, we made the asinine decision to contend without making zero major upgrades last offseason. And were relying on a bunch of aging vets to take us to the playoffs, in a division where we all saw the Yankees and Red Sox re-establishing themselves as bonafide contenders. It was stupidity to the extreme.

The sad part is that you didn't even need to be an expert to see this train wreck coming. Read the posts from last season, the majority of this board saw this team struggling to win games this season. There just weren't enough "sure things" on the roster, and we were relying way too hard for people to bounce back, stay healthy and for everything else to go right. Things hardly work out like that in real life.

Well said. I remember you and i were one of the few ones in this forum, calling for major moves last off-season to start the rebuild (trading Donaldson, Osuna, etc.) in the Winter. I never thought they would actually contend for a WC spot, and you are right- you did not need to be an expert to see this train wreck coming. The Cardinals were dangling their top prospects in a package for Donaldson, and i was urging these goofs to pull the trigger. Now 9 months later, i bet Shapiro and Atkins wished they would have made the deal with St. Louis. Atrocious asset management.
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,611

Post#138 » by Fairview4Life » Sun Sep 2, 2018 11:59 pm

The best part of any Blue Jay trade is the ensuing 4 years of Mehar begging for a **** cookie.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
Mehar
Analyst

Post#139 » by Mehar » Mon Sep 3, 2018 12:10 am

Fairview4Life wrote:The best part of any Blue Jay trade is the ensuing 4 years of Mehar begging for a **** cookie.

Approaching nearly 50,000 posts. Well done man. Quite a feat. Last time you responded to my post, you were slightly over 30,000. Looking forward to seeing you getting your 100,000th post in due time. Keep it up.
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,611

Post#140 » by Fairview4Life » Mon Sep 3, 2018 1:09 am

I'm sure the respect from this board you think you so richly deserve is coming. Some day my guy. Some day. Keep reaching for that rainbow.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.

Return to Toronto Blue Jays