What grade do you give the Pacers for their offseason?

RealGM Polls
Veteran
And1: 10

What grade do you give the Pacers for their offseason? 

Post#1 » by RealGM Polls » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:05 pm

1. A
2. B
3. C
4. D
5. F
jk31
Rookie
And1: 658

Re: What grade do you give the Pacers for their offseason? 

Post#2 » by jk31 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:59 am

B? What could have possibly went better? They kept their core together and upgraded at every backup spot, where they needed a new player. Compared to what could be expected, this was the perfect offseason for the Pacers.
Lakafanfoeva
Ballboy
And1: 8

Post#3 » by Lakafanfoeva » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:46 pm

jk31 wrote:B? What could have possibly went better? They kept their core together and upgraded at every backup spot, where they needed a new player. Compared to what could be expected, this was the perfect offseason for the Pacers.

They got some 3 Point shooting, Mcdermott and Evans (much improved shooter) shot fairly well last year , plus Kyle O'Quinn is a nice scrappy big man to back up Turner. However I still voted C, which isn't bad but not necessarily good either, they did solid.
Cassius
RealGM
And1: 3,951

Post#4 » by Cassius » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:48 pm

That much cap room should get you more than Doug & Reke. Aaron Gordon would have fit like a glass slipper for just about the same money if they didn't plan to address SF.
I_Like_Dirt wrote:The whole comparison to Kevin McHale is ridiculously close, imo... And that's without more hilarious aspects of the comparison, e.g. if Wally Sczerbiak were 7 feet tall with the slower reflexes that came with the additional height, he'd be Bargnani.
jk31
Rookie

Post#5 » by jk31 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:35 pm

Cassius wrote:That much cap room should get you more than Doug & Reke. Aaron Gordon would have fit like a glass slipper for just about the same money if they didn't plan to address SF.

So you would've given an unproven young player a max contract, who plays at the same position as 2 of your best players (thad young and sabonis)? Not to mention that Orlando likely would've matched the offer, as Gordon was a RFA.
Cassius
RealGM

Post#6 » by Cassius » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:14 pm

jk31 wrote:
Cassius wrote:That much cap room should get you more than Doug & Reke. Aaron Gordon would have fit like a glass slipper for just about the same money if they didn't plan to address SF.

So you would've given an unproven young player a max contract, who plays at the same position as 2 of your best players (thad young and sabonis)? Not to mention that Orlando likely would've matched the offer, as Gordon was a RFA.

If Aaron Gordon is unproven, then I'm not sure what that makes Doug McDermott. Sabonis is more 5 than 4, and Thad is 30. I think having a top 4 of Vic, Turner, Gordon and Sabonis has much higher upside today and moving forward than Vic, Turner, Sabonis and any of Young/Doug/Reke. Gordon could run 4/5 pick and rolls with Turner or Sabonis. I also doubt that Doug was going to get signed right away if Indiana hadn't ponied up that cash, but I could be wrong there.

Turner
Gordon
Bogdan
Vic
Collison

Is a very good defensive starting lineup with lots of speed, ballhandling and plenty of shooting.
I_Like_Dirt wrote:The whole comparison to Kevin McHale is ridiculously close, imo... And that's without more hilarious aspects of the comparison, e.g. if Wally Sczerbiak were 7 feet tall with the slower reflexes that came with the additional height, he'd be Bargnani.
jk31
Rookie

Post#7 » by jk31 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:36 pm

Cassius wrote:
jk31 wrote:

If Aaron Gordon is unproven, then I'm not sure what that makes Doug McDermott.

As far as I know the Pacers didn't offer McDermott a max deal nor do they plan to use him as a starter. Also they wouldn't have been able to get Evans, if they get Gordon.
Cassius
RealGM

Post#8 » by Cassius » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:24 pm

jk31 wrote:
Cassius wrote:
jk31 wrote:

If Aaron Gordon is unproven, then I'm not sure what that makes Doug McDermott.

As far as I know the Pacers didn't offer McDermott a max deal nor do they plan to use him as a starter. Also they wouldn't have been able to get Evans, if they get Gordon.

I mean, we could start a poll, but I wouldn't be surprised if most people think that Aaron Gordon is more likely to provide value at $19M than Doug will at $7M. Actually, I put it up. Let's continue the discussion in the thread below... And no malice/shade at all, I've always been high on Gordon as a guy who was just drafted to the wrong team at the wrong time.

viewtopic.php?f=64&t=1748624

Return to Polls Discussion