Off topic thread

Moderators: Dadouv47, retrobro90

Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,510
Location: Defending Planet Earth with a Jet-Pack & a Ray-Gun!

Re: Off topic thread 

Post#441 » by Mr. E » Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:10 pm

I came across this story and I'm adding to my website's reading list. I've been to OKC numerous times, but a lot of this history is new to me.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2018/08/how-oklahoma-city-was-born-in-a-day.html

Can anyone here verify if this is a fair/accurate telling of the origins of Oklahoma City? There are some off-hand swipes that you'd expect from something like NY Mag, so please don't think that I endorse those comments. We deal with that crap from the east & west coasts ourselves down in Texas.
"A fanatic is one who can't change their mind and won't change the subject."
- Winston Churchill
Andre Roberstan
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,623

Post#442 » by Andre Roberstan » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:02 pm

Mr. E wrote:I came across this story and I'm adding to my website's reading list. I've been to OKC numerous times, but a lot of this history is new to me.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2018/08/how-oklahoma-city-was-born-in-a-day.html

Can anyone here verify if this is a fair/accurate telling of the origins of Oklahoma City? There are some off-hand swipes that you'd expect from something like NY Mag, so please don't think that I endorse those comments. We deal with that crap from the east & west coasts ourselves down in Texas.

More or less. We've been getting some good press lately, especially with Nonesuch getting Bon Appetit's "Best New Restaurant" label (with the caveat of the regular big city swipes).

That article's an excerpt from a book that just came out and is getting great reviews from locals. I'm getting the book at some point—it looks good.

(BTW, if you're ever up here and want to grab a beer or something, let me know.)
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,199

Post#443 » by bondom34 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:00 am

MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,947

Post#444 » by slick_watts » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:31 am

lightning strike near my home decided to kill a majority of my home theater components a couple weeks ago. only had time to properly inventory the damage over the weekend. receiver, television, xbox, modem, router, one half of one surge protector, and my server's motherboard all not working. really annoying.

this was right before westbrook's knee scope was announced. coincidence?
Raijin
Freshman
And1: 105

Post#445 » by Raijin » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:16 am

That was me.

My aim needs work.

Pill,

If you're floating about, I need an invite to DT discord. PM that shiz.

Thanks,
ThunderYo
Atomic Punk
Pro Prospect
And1: 328

Post#446 » by Atomic Punk » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:43 am

slick_watts wrote:lightning strike near my home decided to kill a majority of my home theater components a couple weeks ago. only had time to properly inventory the damage over the weekend. receiver, television, xbox, modem, router, one half of one surge protector, and my server's motherboard all not working. really annoying.

this was right before westbrook's knee scope was announced. coincidence?

Apparently you still are able to access the internet so the collective will have to try harder next time.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#447 » by bondom34 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:04 pm

If anyone's interested, I tried the Athletic's free week trial. When you go to cancel after a week it offers a 2nd free week. Think I'm asking for it for Xmas, it's pretty good content.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Post#448 » by spearsy23 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:12 pm

bondom34 wrote:If anyone's interested, I tried the Athletic's free week trial. When you go to cancel after a week it offers a 2nd free week. Think I'm asking for it for Xmas, it's pretty good content.

I got a year's sub for 30 bucks. It's good but doesn't have the in depth basketball analysis I was hoping for. As far as thunder stuff goes Dawson is pretty good, he's not Katz and he's still stuck with the same limitations as other OKC beat writers, but he'll give you some good Donovan insight occasionally.

Also, I messaged him on Twitter and he was nice enough to find out Ferg and Dakari were starting for the blue when I was in OKC last season so i could decide rather we should go or not.
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
RalphSampsonJr
Pro Prospect
And1: 584

Post#449 » by RalphSampsonJr » Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:23 pm

Im from New Zealand and will be making another trip to OKC in March. Last years trip was just me and a mate getting drunk with our airbnb host, going to games then going to a bar down the street from the peak (whiskey chicks?)

Anyone willing to give me some local knowledge of good spots to check out? Bars, food,etc
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#450 » by bondom34 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:40 pm

spearsy23 wrote:
bondom34 wrote:If anyone's interested, I tried the Athletic's free week trial. When you go to cancel after a week it offers a 2nd free week. Think I'm asking for it for Xmas, it's pretty good content.

I got a year's sub for 30 bucks. It's good but doesn't have the in depth basketball analysis I was hoping for. As far as thunder stuff goes Dawson is pretty good, he's not Katz and he's still stuck with the same limitations as other OKC beat writers, but he'll give you some good Donovan insight occasionally.

Also, I messaged him on Twitter and he was nice enough to find out Ferg and Dakari were starting for the blue when I was in OKC last season so i could decide rather we should go or not.

Yeah so far I've been reading the national guys more and keeping up on the Butler news. But that's been really good IMO
spearsy23
RealGM

Post#451 » by spearsy23 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:50 pm

The athletic's baseball coverage has been extremely good, especially enjoying the articles about pitch tipping.
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,167

Post#452 » by ThunderBolt » Tue Nov 6, 2018 1:25 pm

This website was apparently designed on godaddy.com over a weekend. It’s so unstable I can hardly post anymore. Half of the time I have to type the post in another app and copy and paste to realgm before the page resets. This issue has been reported for months. I’m beyond fed up .
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
spearsy23
RealGM

Post#453 » by spearsy23 » Tue Nov 6, 2018 2:11 pm

Knrstz wrote:This website was apparently designed on godaddy.com over a weekend. It’s so unstable I can hardly post anymore. Half of the time I have to type the post in another app and copy and paste to realgm before the page resets. This issue has been reported for months. I’m beyond fed up .

That and redirects from malicious ads.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#454 » by bondom34 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:54 am

Only semi-OT but since I decided to kinda try to be a general fan and detach from the Thunder somewhat things have gone well for them and I'm taking credit. Its also been more fun to watch and not worry
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#455 » by ThunderBolt » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:34 pm

I love SVP and he speaks truth.

bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#456 » by bondom34 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:10 am

I agree when plain. But with fruit or (preferably) chocolate chips, pancakes >>>
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#457 » by ThunderBolt » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:43 am

bondom34 wrote:I agree when plain. But with fruit or (preferably) chocolate chips, pancakes >>>

You’re going on my ignore list!
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#458 » by bondom34 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:45 am

ThunderBolt wrote:
bondom34 wrote:I agree when plain. But with fruit or (preferably) chocolate chips, pancakes >>>

You’re going on my ignore list!

When I was in middle school I'd have my 3 friends sleep over every Friday. Every Saturday AM my mom made chocolate chip pancakes, and there's not a single thing I'd rather in the morning than warm chocolate chip pancakes. Sorry, can't beat em.
getrichordie
General Manager
And1: 2,308

Post#459 » by getrichordie » Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:47 pm

I know a lot of you guys probably hate me for how I discuss basketball, but I thought’d I’d share a really awesome piece of art:

https://youtu.be/m6PTnOQYy2A

Let me know what you guys think. I’ll be posting more music in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
[twitter] @thunderdustin
Old Man Game
Head Coach
And1: 4,284

Post#460 » by Old Man Game » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:56 pm

Stop putting Notre Dame in big bowl games. They can't handle it.

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder