ImageImageImageImageImage

Sure sounds like KD is leaving

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Re: Sure sounds like KD is leaving 

Post#21 » by Mylie10 » Thu Oct 4, 2018 4:57 am

When KD leaves it will be to Seattle to right the wrong in the NBA Universe, towards the Twilight of his career.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
Impuniti
General Manager
And1: 7,138

Post#22 » by Impuniti » Thu Oct 4, 2018 12:04 pm

A lot can change throughout a year, but yeah it's no longer certain he stays. If he does leave and Warriors win, fans should kiss his feet for helping assemble the greatest team of all time.
Impuniti
General Manager
And1: 7,138

Post#23 » by Impuniti » Thu Oct 4, 2018 12:05 pm

Frozzy wrote:I'm just gonna enjoy this season as best I can and not worry about KD leaving. I'll always be thankful for KD coming here, couldn't have had it any better after that Finals meltdown in 2016.

Enjoy the journey not just the ending, worry about it after the parade. :oops:
Little Digger
Head Coach
And1: 2,710

Post#24 » by Little Digger » Thu Oct 4, 2018 1:10 pm

Sure hope so.
ILOVEIT—Good 'ol Bob. Two things that will survive the next apocalypse - Cockroaches and Fitz.
DaHef
Pro Prospect
And1: 168

Post#25 » by DaHef » Thu Oct 4, 2018 4:57 pm

wco81 wrote:
That awkward moment at the parade is going to feed speculation.

What was the awkward moment at the parade? I didn't get a chance to see it.
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,891

Post#26 » by Samurai » Thu Oct 4, 2018 8:18 pm

We have no control over what KD wants to do. Let's just focus on getting the 3-peat and enjoying the parade; I trust Bob Myers to do the best he can with what he has to work with for the team.
hamncheese
Assistant Coach
And1: 849

Post#27 » by hamncheese » Thu Oct 4, 2018 8:51 pm

DaHef wrote:
wco81 wrote:
That awkward moment at the parade is going to feed speculation.

What was the awkward moment at the parade? I didn't get a chance to see it.

https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2018/6/12/17454050/kevin-durant-warriors-parade-contract-bob-myers
Bob Myers, June 7, 2018: "“It’s not in my job description to please NBA fans. It’s to win, end of story. I don’t need to be entertained, I just need to win. That’s all it is. That’s all I was hired to do. Win.”
LeonGenesis
Sixth Man
And1: 344

Post#28 » by LeonGenesis » Thu Oct 4, 2018 10:19 pm

He will leave... He is all about image and face... If anyone criticize him, then he'll fight back. I have a feeling he wants 3x rings like LeBron. And he wants to prove the world that he is the reason why Warriors won 2 rings with him. He'll try to win another ring elsewhere to prove a point.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,136

Post#29 » by wco81 » Thu Oct 4, 2018 10:26 pm

I don’t know what kind of moves thy can do but they better explore.

Maybe even consider trading him at trade deadline for whoever assets they could get.

At least look at some options including what to do next meme if they don’t trade and he ends up leaving.
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,578

Post#30 » by HiRez » Thu Oct 4, 2018 11:15 pm

wco81 wrote:I don’t know what kind of moves thy can do but they better explore.

Maybe even consider trading him at trade deadline for whoever assets they could get.

At least look at some options including what to do next meme if they don’t trade and he ends up leaving.

Trading him will be tricky. First, he may have some kind of no-trade clause or restricted-trade clause in his contract. Second, I doubt he will tell them in advance if he intends to leave, making it tricky to start trade negotiations without feelings getting hurt and you have to consider how the rest of the team will react to that. Third, you have to consider who would want to and could afford to take on a massive salary for a rental.

If he does leave, I have the bad feeling we will get nothing for him, and as I understand it, him leaving doesn’t really free up a ton of usable cap space either.

Probably will end up in NY.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,181

Post#31 » by xdrta+ » Thu Oct 4, 2018 11:41 pm

HiRez wrote:
wco81 wrote:I don’t know what kind of moves thy can do but they better explore.

Trading him will be tricky. First, he may have some kind of no-trade clause or restricted-trade clause in his contract. Second, I doubt he will tell them in advance if he intends to leave, making it tricky to start trade negotiations without feelings getting hurt and you have to consider how the rest of the team will react to that. Third, you have to consider who would want to and could afford to take on a massive salary for a rental.

If he does leave, I have the bad feeling we will get nothing for him, and as I understand it, him leaving doesn’t really free up a ton of usable cap space either.

Probably will end up in NY.

A trade would require Durant's consent. Although he doesn't have a no-trade clause, if a player is on a one year contract (excluding option years), and will have Larry Bird rights at the end of the season, a trade requires his consent. In such a case his Bird rights don't get traded with him. I don't think trading Durant is an option.

If he leaves, there will still be no cap space, assuming Klay signs. If they both leave there will be about $30MM in cap space.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,022

Post#32 » by Scoots1994 » Thu Oct 4, 2018 11:57 pm

If Klay signs early for far below his market value and KD leaves the Warriors will have a chance at cap space.
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager
And1: 5,016

Post#33 » by GQ Hot Dog » Fri Oct 5, 2018 12:12 am

Klay won't be signing far below his market value but if KD walks it will at least put us below the apron which will allow us to sign a contract starting at about $8 million. That's enough to get a competent starter looking to win a championship.
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,181

Post#34 » by xdrta+ » Fri Oct 5, 2018 12:41 am

thinkingwarriors wrote:Klay won't be signing far below his market value but if KD walks it will at least put us below the apron which will allow us to sign a contract starting at about $8 million. That's enough to get a competent starter looking to win a championship.

That's true, but the determination is made after the contract, do it can't take the team salary above the apron.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,136

Post#35 » by wco81 » Fri Oct 5, 2018 12:43 am

They could force the issue, ask him point blank if he plans to re-sign.

If he equivocates, trade him.

Problem is, you don't want to make an ultimatum like that unless you're ready to burn bridges.

But the Warriors did renounce some assets to be able to sign him so you can argue that they have to try to recover any assets if they think he's going to walk.

Of course if the season is going well, with them likely to get one of the top seeds and tracking for over 60 wins, they're not going to upset the apple cart, because trading him in February will hurt their chances to win another title if they're going well.

But if they have injuries or whatever other problems and they're having a real down season -- under 55 wins likely -- then they may have a hard decision to make.

Because if they fail to win, the owners may be less likely to pay what KD, Klay and Draymond wants, since there will be huge luxury tax bills.

Three titles they've won is great and as long-suffering Warriors fans, we should feel like we're playing with house money.

But for all the grief the players have gotten, especially KD, I think it would be a big let down. Not as big a letdown as the Heatles, who openly talked about 5, 6, ...

But still kind of a letdown. After they won in June and they were sitting down for the team picture, Iggy and several other players were holding up 3 fingers. So while they may not be overtly talking about it, they're keeping count for sure.
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,578

Post#36 » by HiRez » Fri Oct 5, 2018 2:23 am

Dubs already won a chip before KD came here and came close to a 2nd one they probably should have won. Even if KD walks for nothing, it’s a mistake to write them off as a top contender.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,022

Post#37 » by Scoots1994 » Fri Oct 5, 2018 3:57 am

If they win I think he's staying.
AdonalFoyle4Prez
Analyst
And1: 360

Post#38 » by AdonalFoyle4Prez » Fri Oct 5, 2018 4:13 am

Joe Lacob and Co. have expressed to get this well-oiled machine of a team to remain sustainable for years to come.

If KD leaves, and (depending on how well he responds and plays this upcoming season), I can see them offering DeMarcus Cousins a decent contract. But, the ultimate goal from what's written is that Warriors will go hard after AD.
SFrush
Sixth Man
And1: 778

Post#39 » by SFrush » Fri Oct 5, 2018 5:48 am

Trade him? :roll:
old rem
RealGM
And1: 1,080

Post#40 » by old rem » Fri Oct 5, 2018 3:05 pm

xdrta+ wrote:The fact that he signed a 1 yr contract means nothing. He had to if he wanted to get full Bird rights and be able to sign an absolute max contract with the Warriors next summer.
yeah. KD seemed rather happy here and......why not? i'd wonder...........if KD was to leave would that open a window for Cousins to re-up?

Whatever. I am in general VERY CONFIDENT.
CENSORED... No comment.

Return to Golden State Warriors