ImageImageImageImageImage

Josh Donaldson traded to [the Indians] for something because Passan says so

Moderator: JaysRule15

Ado05
RealGM
And1: 5,930

Re: Josh Donaldson traded to [the Indians] for something because Passan says so 

Post#181 » by Ado05 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:53 pm

Read on Twitter

Just to add a little insult to injury lmao
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,094

Post#182 » by Schad » Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:44 am

Well, ****. I was all about a deal centered on Flaherty in the winter, and was told that they'd never offer that.
**** your asterisk.
Natural11
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,760

Post#183 » by Natural11 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:56 am

Adrian_05 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Your avatar sums that up nicely.
Tanner
Veteran
And1: 4,173

Post#184 » by Tanner » Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:39 am

I figured the Cards were offering Alcantara considering what their GM said about not trading six years of big league control for one year but yeah if they were offering Flaherty, then it was a screw up. That might explain the “we would have rebuilt a year ago” quote and subsequent rumors of Shapiro not seeing eye to eye with Rogers.

I still don’t buy it, that doesn’t seem like a Cardinals type of trade, but I’m going on the assumption that it’s true.
Scott Hall
RealGM
And1: 62,604

Post#185 » by Scott Hall » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:10 am

Adrian_05 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Cyrus
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors
And1: 3,471

Post#186 » by Cyrus » Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:46 am

ofcourse we turned it down, sounds like something we would do. Same thing will happen with Sanchez and Stro too.
VanWest82
RealGM
And1: 17,673

Post#187 » by VanWest82 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:26 am

I'm just here for the Jack Flaherty outrage.
torontoaces04
Analyst
And1: 518

Post#188 » by torontoaces04 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:47 pm

****. This might be the biggest kick in the nuts of the year.
Cyrus
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors

Post#189 » by Cyrus » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:48 pm

LOL only reason i think Jays could have turned it down, is because they thought they could get two Flaherty types. Like why would you turn down 7 years of control for a guy you know isn't going to be back at the end of the year, and you were planning to deal even if all things went well.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#190 » by Schad » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:15 pm

Cyrus wrote:LOL only reason i think Jays could have turned it down, is because they thought they could get two Flaherty types. Like why would you turn down 7 years of control for a guy you know isn't going to be back at the end of the year, and you were planning to deal even if all things went well.

Because we thought that we'd get big crowds and make money by pretending to compete. It, uh, didn't work out that way. From a long-term perspective, it never really made any sense.
**** your asterisk.
Tanner
Veteran

Post#191 » by Tanner » Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:46 am

Cyrus wrote:LOL only reason i think Jays could have turned it down, is because they thought they could get two Flaherty types. Like why would you turn down 7 years of control for a guy you know isn't going to be back at the end of the year, and you were planning to deal even if all things went well.

It's also a bit of hindsight. Flaherty was a very good prospect, B+/50 grade, but not a "holy **** we can't say no to this" type. Depends on who the rumored 2nd player would have been. He's turned into a really good pitcher, and JD got hurt, so it looks worse in hindsight, but I could understand holding out for something better.

If JD was healthy and traded in July, we probably don't get a Flaherty type, but we probably get a package that doesn't make the Flaherty trade look like a lost opportunity. Knowing what we know now, of course it's going to sting.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#192 » by Schad » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:41 pm

You're really contradicting yourself, though: you've been arguing all along that deadline rentals have little trade value, so it's hard to square that with the notion that we'd have gotten something approaching full freight for Donaldson in July.
**** your asterisk.
Tanner
Veteran

Post#193 » by Tanner » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:09 pm

Schad wrote:You're really contradicting yourself, though: you've been arguing all along that deadline rentals have little trade value, so it's hard to square that with the notion that we'd have gotten something approaching full freight for Donaldson in July.

How is that contradicting? I said all along they were looking at B/B- level prospects for JD if they waited until the deadline. That's not a huge haul. Machado got a deal centered on a B/B- type in Diaz. If the Jays got comparable to that, then yeah it wouldn't look as bad as taking whatever they could get on August 31, and likely less whining when hearing about Flaherty.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#194 » by Schad » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:10 pm

Tanner wrote:
Schad wrote:You're really contradicting yourself, though: you've been arguing all along that deadline rentals have little trade value, so it's hard to square that with the notion that we'd have gotten something approaching full freight for Donaldson in July.

How is that contradicting? I said all along they were looking at B/B- level prospects for JD if they waited until the deadline. That's not a huge haul. Machado got a deal centered on a B/B- type in Diaz. If the Jays got comparable to that, then yeah it wouldn't look as bad as taking whatever they could get on August 31, and likely less whining when hearing about Flaherty.

Flaherty was rated in the top 70 by BA/BP/MLBPipeline, top 40 in the latter; it would still look pretty bad getting someone's eighth-best prospect rather than a guy who'd have been our best pitching prospect from the day the deal went down.
**** your asterisk.
Cyrus
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors

Post#195 » by Cyrus » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:04 pm

Schad wrote:

Because we thought that we'd get big crowds and make money by pretending to compete. It, uh, didn't work out that way. From a long-term perspective, it never really made any sense.

But they would have saw the internal tickets numbers in the off season were down, and wasn't looking good anyway. Unless they thought they were going to get a bunch of walk ups because we were going to be on on fire.

And I think we started the season pretty good, or atleast good for us.
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,497

Post#196 » by dagger » Fri Oct 5, 2018 3:19 pm

As expected

Read on Twitter
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
SharoneWright
RealGM
And1: 12,497
Location: A low-variance future conducive to raising children

Post#197 » by SharoneWright » Tue Oct 9, 2018 4:40 pm

Hmmmm… Is saying "I'm going to take the high road" actually taking the high road?? (Actually, fairly muted comments here from Josh). Anyway, stick a fork in this story.
https://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/donaldson-blue-jays-exit-im-going-take-high-road/
Is anybody here a marine biologist?
polo007
General Manager
And1: 2,652

Post#198 » by polo007 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:39 am

Donaldson on departure from Jays: ‘It didn’t end the way I wanted it to end’ - TSN.ca

After winning the American League MVP in 2015 – his first season with the Jays – Donaldson played in just 36 games last season before he was dealt to the Cleveland Indians for minor league pitcher Julian Merryweather. Donaldson expanded on the way things ended Friday in a sit-down with SportsCentre’s Kara Wagland.

“It didn’t end the way that I wanted it to end in my time [in Toronto],” Donaldson said.

“The last couple years I’ve had to deal with injuries that happened on the field and that happened off the field and on rehab assignments. That’s not going to make me too thrilled about things. So at the end of the day I’m in control of my own body. I’ve learned some lessons and I’m just going to continue to try to adapt to the situation and continue to make myself the best that I can be.”

While he struggled with a calf injury last season, Donaldson says he is feeling good after signing a one-year, $23-million deal with the Atlanta Braves.

“I feel great. I’ve had a tremendous off-season. This has probably been the best off-season I’ve had in, you know, four or five years,” he said.

“Body is feeling great. I’ve made some pretty huge improvements physically and I’m feeling great going into spring training.”
phillipmike
Rookie
And1: 1,229

Post#199 » by phillipmike » Thu Oct 3, 2019 1:05 pm

Interesting tidbit from a MLB.com article. Many were upset that the Jays were have rumored to reject an offer of Jack Flahtery for Josh Donaldson - well there is this;

https://www.mlb.com/news/paul-goldschmidt-cardinals-braves-connection

When the Braves agreed to a one-year, $23 million deal with Donaldson around Thanksgiving, the Cardinals were denied their bid to land the former American League MVP Award winner. They attempted to acquire the veteran third baseman from the Blue Jays during the 2017 season, but they were never willing to include Jack Flaherty in the trade. Another attempt was made to complete a waiver deal in August '18.

This is in direct contradiction to this;

Read on Twitter

Wonder if there is any truth to any of this but if you believe the most recent report, the Jays were asking for Flaherty but the Cards didnt want to include him.
Black Watch
Bench Warmer
And1: 762

Post#200 » by Black Watch » Fri Oct 4, 2019 5:44 pm

That actually does make me feel better.

Now if only we can confirm that nobody was interested in Bautista for 2017, I'll feel better about giving up that supplemental pick we lost by not letting him sign with somebody else.
Black Watch and Hamyltowne, my former usernames, are tartan patterns. Nothing to do with any race or any city.

Return to Toronto Blue Jays