ImageImageImageImageImage

Soul Glo, the Afro Samurai - The Jarrett Allen Thread

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Re: Soul Glo, the Afro Samurai - The Jarrett Allen Thread 

Post#1161 » by Prokorov » Tue Oct 9, 2018 12:51 pm

Is he even 20 years old yet? i love how he stays in his lane and takes what comes to him and doesnt force it. You can tell he really pays attention to detail, he is always in the right spots. I think it will really help him to have levert starting, those two seem to have a really good chemistry and levert always keeps an eye out for him when he drives to the hoop.

One thing i think he can do better is that he seems like his hands are often down below his waist offensively in the paint and when he catches it sometimes he brings it down.

You can tell he isnt 100% confident yet. and he obviously will get stronger still. when those 2 things happen look out. as is right now he is an excellent role big who gets alot of blocks as a help defender. with size his 1 on 1 defense will improve and with confidence his numbers will increase across the board.

The most important thing is that he isnt a knucle head... typically this rolling/dunks and blocks bigs have nothing between the ears like mcgee or drummond. not the case with allen. and he puts in the work. last year we saw it show up big time at the FT line.
shakendfries
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,063

Post#1162 » by shakendfries » Tue Oct 9, 2018 3:38 pm

The Pistons responded to a Allen's emphatic denial of Blake Griffin by constantly forcing pressure inside and came up short more often than not. Towards the end of the game, Andre Drummond was left shooting midrange jumpers to stay out of Allen's paint.

Jarrett Allen is a defensive center in the Rudy Gobert role, but Allen is a better shooter. Super excited to watch him grow this season
ImageImage

"Kevin Durant is not coming to the Nets. If I'm wrong, I will change my avatar to anything you request no matter how humiliating it is." - MrDollarBills, 10/22/18
-soul fist-
Junior
And1: 96

Post#1163 » by -soul fist- » Tue Oct 9, 2018 5:41 pm

I took Allen really early on my fantasy team, only because his rank was so high that I didn’t want to risk him being taken by an auto-pick. Though, it might end up paying off because the det game is what I expect from allen on many nights. and yeah, I know it’s alot to ask for, but I see it happening.
Keith Van Horn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,175

Post#1164 » by Keith Van Horn » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:23 pm

I've been away for a while after FA died down.... but question: are we expecting typical bigs who abused us last year (ie Howard, Gobert type guys) to not have as much of a field day on Allen, and that's why we brought in Davis? or is Allen going to step up and slow down these dudes?

I saw the highlights of the Pistons game and things are trending upwards for Allen it seems.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,572

Post#1165 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:10 pm

Keith Van Horn wrote:I've been away for a while after FA died down.... but question: are we expecting typical bigs who abused us last year (ie Howard, Gobert type guys) to not have as much of a field day on Allen, and that's why we brought in Davis? or is Allen going to step up and slow down these dudes?

I saw the highlights of the Pistons game and things are trending upwards for Allen it seems.

Allen got physically destroyed by Enes Kanter in game 1. Versus Drummond he was much more assertive and aggressive and outplayed him on both ends. However, Drummond is not a skilled offensive scorer like Kanter so take from that what you will.

Davis was brought in to help with 2nd unit depth and the glass, but Allen is still going to be the one to have to step up and defend these dudes, not Ed Davis.

He's in for a good test tonight because Jonas Valanciunas is a bruiser and doesn't hesitate to take it to guys who are physically weaker.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
moonpie
General Manager
And1: 2,684

Post#1166 » by moonpie » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:10 pm

Read on Twitter
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Soul Glo, the Afro Samurai - The Jarrett Allen Thread 

Post#1167 » by Paradise » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:54 pm

DLo and Afro highlights.

vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,433

Post#1168 » by vincecarter4pres » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:39 pm

Listen, it's preseason, it's early going into Allen's second year, we don't have a ton to get excited about, but it's hard to not see the potential in this kid. He could legitimately wind up the best player out of his draft, or more realistically the 3rd best, maybe 4th. He could be the franchise player we're all hoping to land in the 2019 draft or through free agency that summer.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
kamaze
General Manager
And1: 1,315

Post#1169 » by kamaze » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:23 am

He's learning a lot from playing Ed Davis Allen is a great player. He moves like a guard but is 7 feet with the xtra long arms.
There's nothing he doesn't do.
I got the burner-Kevin Durant

Cream rises to the top-Nic Claxton
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#1170 » by vincecarter4pres » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:06 am

It also needs to be reiterated, from what I've been told, the Nets had Allen #2 overall on their big board June of '17.
#2 overall period.
They had Mitchell #1 and Tatum #3.
That's how highly they thought of this kid.
It doesn't mean they would have literally took him #2 if they had the 2nd overall pick, or took Mitchell #1, but they probably would have pulled an Ainge 2 or even 3 times and eventually wound up anywhere between 5 and 10 and took one of those 3 guys while restocking the war chest with even more high level assets and 1st round picks in the process.

What a stark difference between this regime and any in the past.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,572

Post#1171 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:19 pm

Seriously. When was the last time the Nets had a scouting department this good? LeVert and Allen were both steals considering where they were selected. Musa and Rodi could also end up being solid picks. And now going into the summer of 2019 we have control of our own pick and Denver's. Expect a massive infusion of talent.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,948

Post#1172 » by Trader_Joe » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:08 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:Listen, it's preseason, it's early going into Allen's second year, we don't have a ton to get excited about, but it's hard to not see the potential in this kid. He could legitimately wind up the best player out of his draft, or more realistically the 3rd best, maybe 4th. He could be the franchise player we're all hoping to land in the 2019 draft or through free agency that summer.

I think the top 3 will be Tatum, Mitchell, Markkaken, but after that... Allen could be near the top of the next tier along with Ball and DSJ.
Mikhail Prokhorov wrote:My posse usually needs another vacation after a vacation with me.
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#1173 » by Prokorov » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:12 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:Listen, it's preseason, it's early going into Allen's second year, we don't have a ton to get excited about, but it's hard to not see the potential in this kid. He could legitimately wind up the best player out of his draft, or more realistically the 3rd best, maybe 4th. He could be the franchise player we're all hoping to land in the 2019 draft or through free agency that summer.

So much to like... but for a young player his screen and roll game is outstanding. sets solid screens in the right spotos. lets the gaurd come to him... and his rolls have no arc to them, screen and then STRAIGHT line to the rim. thats how it should be done. great hands/finishing even with some struggle early last year. money from the FT line. doesnt ever go outside his role/abilities. good help defender.

i cant see how at worst he isnt a career 11/7/2 player with average defense. thats his floor.
kamaze
General Manager

Post#1174 » by kamaze » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:38 am

BigJ had a higher field goal percentage in his rookie year than Brook Lopez, Nenad Krstic and Buck Williams.

kamaze
General Manager

Post#1175 » by kamaze » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:41 am

Trader_Joe wrote:

I think the top 3 will be Tatum, Mitchell, Markkaken, but after that... Allen could be near the top of the next tier along with Ball and DSJ.

He'll be #1 in my book fans have a reason to be excited.

vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#1176 » by vincecarter4pres » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:06 am

Prokorov wrote:

So much to like... but for a young player his screen and roll game is outstanding. sets solid screens in the right spotos. lets the gaurd come to him... and his rolls have no arc to them, screen and then STRAIGHT line to the rim. thats how it should be done. great hands/finishing even with some struggle early last year. money from the FT line. doesnt ever go outside his role/abilities. good help defender.

i cant see how at worst he isnt a career 11/7/2 player with average defense. thats his floor.

I think that's his floor for this year. I'm in no way guaranteeing he'll be a straight star, but once he fills out a little more physically and has a couple more years under his cap mentally, even if he's leveled off skill wise to what he winds up this season I'd be surprised if he doesn't have a run of 7 seasons where he's too good to not leave out there 32 minutes a game minimum and he has the defensive mobility, the free throw shooting and should have the 3 point shooting to leave him out there late in games.
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Post#1177 » by Paradise » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:34 am

kamaze
General Manager

Post#1178 » by kamaze » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:52 am

Paradise wrote:

GreatWhiteStiff
RealGM
And1: 12,413

Post#1179 » by GreatWhiteStiff » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:43 am

Is this guy injured? My brother took him in fantasy and is worried... :lol: :oops:

Let's playin for 9th!

"OG puts the clamps on point guards like Trae Young." -DelAbbot
kamaze
General Manager

Post#1180 » by kamaze » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:54 am

Read on Twitter

Return to Brooklyn Nets