Kelly Oubre

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,853

Re: Kelly Oubre 

Post#1181 » by payitforward » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:31 pm

Rafael122 wrote:
payitforward wrote:...He's still only 22, so Zards might be going a little far in calling this "a make or break season... for him," but it's certainly a big season. The biggest, most important season in his career so far.../quote]
It's make or break in the sense that if his play doesn't improve or it tails off like it has at the end of the year then there's no sense in paying the kid $50 million, tying up your cap with more big salaries, when you have a kid like Brown who is 3 years younger waiting in the wings. Ideally you would love to keep everybody but Oubre and Sato are prime candidates to be traded with Mahinmi instead of having a pick involved.

Got it, & seen that way it makes perfect sense. How he plays this season will have a big effect on his next contract -- whether with us or someone else.

In any case, it will not be possible for us to to give him a big salary, no matter how he plays, if we still have all of W/B/P on our roster.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
trast66
Rookie
And1: 611

Post#1182 » by trast66 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:59 am

Justise Winslow extended 3 years $39M. That’s good move by Miami. Kelly will get more.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,506

Post#1183 » by closg00 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:35 pm

Portis over KO alumni raise your hands. Kieff would be expiring and Portis would be in that slot just as we said, instead we will most-likely lose KO for nothing, that's my prediction.
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,330

Post#1184 » by Kanyewest » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:05 pm

closg00 wrote:Portis over KO alumni raise your hands. Kieff would be expiring and Portis would be in that slot just as we said, instead we will most-likely lose KO for nothing, that's my prediction.

Portis is an expiring too. BTW, not sure how much Portis is going to play for the Bulls given that they just drafted Carter, signed Jabari Parker, and already drafted Lauri.
Eli Babak
Senior
And1: 506

Post#1185 » by Eli Babak » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:51 pm

Kanyewest wrote:
closg00 wrote:Portis over KO alumni raise your hands. Kieff would be expiring and Portis would be in that slot just as we said, instead we will most-likely lose KO for nothing, that's my prediction.

Portis is an expiring too. BTW, not sure how much Portis is going to play for the Bulls given that they just drafted Carter, signed Jabari Parker, and already drafted Lauri.

Lauri is out at least a month, Carter plays center and they see Portis as a 6th man/first big off the bench type of guy playing 20-30 minutes a game. Parker signing was odd but they're gonna play him as SF once Lauri comes back. If that experiment doesn't work out they just let him walk next summer.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,506

Post#1186 » by closg00 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:17 pm

Kanyewest wrote:

OUR situation having drafted Portis would have been preferable, we kept Kieff out of necessity, then recently drafted Brown.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,069

Post#1187 » by nate33 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:08 pm

Portis is the worst defensive big in the NBA. Even when he puts up numbers, he doesn't help you win. I don't see him ever being a significant contributor on a winning team.

Oubre's overall game has not lived up to his athletic potential, to be sure, but I still like his chances at panning out to be a solid NBA player eventually. He's got the prerequisites: length, athleticism, and effort. He's just got to get better at making decisions, making jumpers, and understanding his role.

We may end up losing Oubre for nothing, but that often happens to mediocre draft picks after 4 years.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,853

Post#1188 » by payitforward » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:45 pm

Well, if that's where we're going forget about Bobby Portis, who after all hasn't been all that good (in fairness, I thought Portis was going to be terrific -- far better than he's turned out so far). Plus, we didn't think Portis would be there at #19 (our spot that year).

Oubre was very highly rated, but he was a one-&-done w/ only @700 minutes of college ball, so he was certainly a risk. I had no problem with Ernie taking that risk.

OTOH, given that I thought Portis would be gone, the guy I wanted (as did CCJ) was Kevon Looney, who's proved to be a better player than Portis so far.

Of course, better than Portis, better than Oubre, & in fact better than any other player taken that year w/ the exception of the #1 pick Karl Anthony Towns, is Larry Nance Jr. who went #27.

Lets see... supposed we'd traded our #19 for the #27 & #32 (somehow...) -- we'd have Larry Nance & Montrezl Harrell.

But wait, there's more! Nance was quite good even as a rookie, as was Harrell. So, we'd have had no reason to trade our 2016 lottery pick for Kieff. Plus, we'd still have had our 2016 R2 pick. We would have traded both those picks to move up 2 spots in the 2016 draft & take Damontis Sabonis.

Plus, we'd still have our R2 pick next year, which also went in the Oubre deal.

Lemme see... that's Nance, Sabonis & Harrell plus the upcoming R2 pick, right? Of course, with those guys on board, we wouldn't have had to panic in the Summer of 2016 & sign Nicholson (no need, we've got Nance), Smith (no need, we've got Harrell) & Mahinmi (no need, we've got Sabonis).

But wait, there's even more more: we no longer have to trade away our 2017 R1 pick to hide the idiotic error of signing Nicholson! Oh man... this is looking good!!

We've already got a lot of bigs, right? So lets use our #22 pick in 2017 to nab Josh Hart. No... wait a minute. He wasn't rated that high. So, in fact, lets trade our #22 plus our 2018 R2 pick to the Lakers for their #27 & #30 picks -- & take Kyle Kuzma & Josh Hart.

Ok, hmmm, what have we got so far? Oh yeah... Larry Nance, Montrezl Harrell, Damontis Sabonis, Kyle Kuzma & Josh Hart. Those 5 guys are making a combined $14.3m this year. No Jason Smith, no Ian Mahinmi, no Morris, no Oubre, no Meeks either lets assume). That's $36.7m gone.

So, we'd be paying $22.5m less salary this year. No tax problems. Tons of trade assets.

Gotta love that hindsight, huh? WOW!

Plus, I am sure I could re-do this so that we wind up with Jordan Bell too.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,330

Post#1189 » by Kanyewest » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:55 am

2015 redraft from the Ringer. Of course this is before Oubre's 3 point shooting went to crap after the all star break. But they have Oubre at #5.

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2018/2/14/17010310/2015-nba-draft-karl-anthony-towns-devin-booker-kristaps-porzingis
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1190 » by nate33 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:18 am

Can somebody please find Kelly Oubre a shooting coach? He's down to 26.8% from 3-point range. And almost all of them are wide open looks.
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,223

Post#1191 » by NatP4 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:54 pm

I wonder what kind of value a Wall+Oubre+Morris+Rivers trade package would have
trast66
Rookie
And1: 611

Post#1192 » by trast66 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:47 pm

nate33 wrote:Can somebody please find Kelly Oubre a shooting coach? He's down to 26.8% from 3-point range. And almost all of them are wide open looks.

Kelly’s 3 point shooting huge disappointment. He is literally costing himself multi millions of $. And it looks like he knows it and its starting to get to him.

The whole team is shooting worse from 3 point so there may be some systematic reason. Maybe they are out of shape for example.

They have missed their share of open 3’s, 4th from bottom in very open (6 feet plus), and bottom third in 4-6 feet open per nba.com.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1193 » by Ruzious » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:16 am

trast66 wrote:
nate33 wrote:Can somebody please find Kelly Oubre a shooting coach? He's down to 26.8% from 3-point range. And almost all of them are wide open looks.

Kelly’s 3 point shooting huge disappointment. He is literally costing himself multi millions of $. And it looks like he knows it and its starting to get to him.

The whole team is shooting worse from 3 point so there may be some systematic reason. Maybe they are out of shape for example.

They have missed their share of open 3’s, 4th from bottom in very open (6 feet plus), and bottom third in 4-6 feet open per nba.com.

Yeah, he's shooting 27.6% from 3 - even with teams giving him the shot. It's time for him to stop taking it unless the shot clock is winding down. Or... start making an acceptable percentage.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1194 » by Ruzious » Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:12 pm

After shooting 22.4% from 3 in November on very high volume, he's making 47.4% in the firts 5 games of December on a lower volume. Overall this season, Kelly was solid in October, terrible in November, and very good so far in December. It's great to see him stepping up, but his inconsistency has been maddening.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1195 » by nate33 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:16 pm

Ruzious wrote:After shooting 22.4% from 3 in November on very high volume, he's making 47.4% in the firts 5 games of December on a lower volume. Overall this season, Kelly was solid in October, terrible in November, and very good so far in December. It's great to see him stepping up, but his inconsistency has been maddening.

Oubre up to an almost tolerable 31.1% from 3-point range. His TS% is a not awful .540.

Moving in the right direction.
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,033

Post#1196 » by queridiculo » Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:22 pm

Yet, even with the good outings I continue to take issue with his persistent gunning.

There's been plenty of situations late in the game last night, where perhaps it might have been smarter to keep the possession alive than to challenge Turner inside when he had swatted all kinds of attempts already.
youngWizzy
Rookie
And1: 481

Post#1197 » by youngWizzy » Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:17 pm

His road vs home splits are really polar opposites

Kelly Oubre's season splits

Road (15 games)
- 15.5 points
- 46.8% shooting
- 37.2% from 3

Home (12 games)
- 9.2 points
- 37.1% shooting
- 20.5% from 3
Twitter: @youngwizzydfs
prime1time
Analyst
And1: 1,868

Post#1198 » by prime1time » Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:24 am

How would people feel about bringing Oubre back?
WallToWall
Veteran
And1: 936

Post#1199 » by WallToWall » Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:32 am

prime1time wrote:How would people feel about bringing Oubre back?

I wouldnt mind that at all. Maybe the 1.5 years in Phoenix was good for him, and he grew in basketball terms, and maturity. I havent kept up with him, however looking at his numbers, he seems marginally better than when he was with us. Correct if wrong. He would bring a dimension that we currently dont have on the team.
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,561

Post#1200 » by pcbothwel » Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:25 pm

prime1time wrote:How would people feel about bringing Oubre back?

Ehhh, not enthused. He is the same guy as he was two years ago. He shot 35% from 3 instead of his usual 32%, but everything else looks the same. Gambling on D, more turnovers than assist, streaky...
He would take away minutes from Bonga and for an expensive price tag. Not really interested.

Return to Washington Wizards