Rick Pitino Interested In Return To NBA

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 291

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:55 pm

Rick Pitino is hoping to become a candidate for an NBA job next offseason. Pitino has hired Drew Rosenhaus to represent him.

Just a month ago, Pitino said he was "finished coaching."

"I just want to be a part of an organization," Pitino told ESPN. "I want to develop young players. I want to be part of a team. I miss it terribly. I'm using this time to really study the NBA. If something opens up with a young basketball team, I'd have deep interest in it.

"I think the league is going to get younger and player development will become even more important to every organization. That's my forte. I believe I can help an organization find a pathway to success."

Pitino was fired at Louisville in the aftermath of the FBI probe into college basketball. 

Pitino was previously a head coach with the New York Knicks and Boston Celtics.

Via Adrian Wojnarowski/ESPN

Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,865

Re: Rick Pitino Interested In Return To NBA 

Post#2 » by Jeff Van Gully » Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:59 pm

bwaahahahahahahahahahaha
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#3 » by The_Hater » Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:22 pm

Stubhub is a good place for him to start...
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,274

Post#4 » by Clyde Frazier » Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:26 pm

good luck :lol:
macNcheese3
RealGM
And1: 6,915

Post#5 » by macNcheese3 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:28 pm

The_Hater wrote:Stubhub is a good place for him to start...

:lol: :lol:
Bentley1225
RealGM
And1: 1,562

Post#6 » by Bentley1225 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:45 pm

Im assuming he thinks he can just simply get the Cavs job.......time to retire bud
Mr.Raptorsingh
RealGM
And1: 27,759

Post#7 » by Mr.Raptorsingh » Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:46 pm

Yeah....good luck Richard.
hype_2004
RealGM
And1: 4,658

Post#8 » by hype_2004 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:10 pm

Long term career College coaches are useless in the NBA. They develop habits that they think can help grown men with million dollar contracts. The father-son relationship approach is not going to work in the NBA, most of these college guys fail because they tend to talk down to players like children. NBA teams ususally hire guys from small colleges who are young and can relate to younger players not old guys like Pitino from big college programs.
popfan
Junior
And1: 224

Post#9 » by popfan » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:27 pm

Young player development? Huh. Didn't Pitino have poor relationship with rookie Chauncey Billups in Boston?
Disinformation
Starter
And1: 3,076

Post#10 » by Disinformation » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:55 pm

As a Celtics fan I'll just say, I hope he comes back to the NBA, too -- as long as it's not to the Celtics.
Disinformation's Manifesto for the 2021 Offseason

It's a brave new world. No one knows what's going to happen, least of all me.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#11 » by ChokeFasncists » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:00 pm

Maybe try G-League first?
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
cheese318
Sixth Man
And1: 227

Post#12 » by cheese318 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:12 pm

hype_2004 wrote:Long term career College coaches are useless in the NBA. They develop habits that they think can help grown men with million dollar contracts. The father-son relationship approach is not going to work in the NBA, most of these college guys fail because they tend to talk down to players like children. NBA teams ususally hire guys from small colleges who are young and can relate to younger players not old guys like Pitino from big college programs.

Quinn Snyder is a great coach. Coach K/Tom Izzo could have been successful in the NBA. Look at Gregg Williams becoming an interrim head coach for CLE after bounty gate. Who would have expected that. If Pitino never gets fired in LOU it wouldn’t be so farsighted to think he could coach in the NBA again. It’s only since he got in trouble
Hoopzilla wrote:
Whether I was born or not when the Orlando Magic tried to form a Super Team means absolutely nothing to this conversation. One thing is pretty clear, you are the load your mother should have swallowed and moved on with her life... :nod:
hype_2004
RealGM

Post#13 » by hype_2004 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:22 pm

cheese318 wrote:
hype_2004 wrote:Long term career College coaches are useless in the NBA. They develop habits that they think can help grown men with million dollar contracts. The father-son relationship approach is not going to work in the NBA, most of these college guys fail because they tend to talk down to players like children. NBA teams ususally hire guys from small colleges who are young and can relate to younger players not old guys like Pitino from big college programs.

Quinn Snyder is a great coach. Coach K/Tom Izzo could have been successful in the NBA. Look at Gregg Williams becoming an interrim head coach for CLE after bounty gate. Who would have expected that. If Pitino never gets fired in LOU it wouldn’t be so farsighted to think he could coach in the NBA again. It’s only since he got in trouble

Wtf you talking about? Snyder started as an assistant coach with the Clippers and got back in the NBA at the young age of 39 yrs. Went the D league route and also coached in Europe, he's well traveled and experienced. He's not a career College coaches from big program that got into the league late in his career, LMFAO!
hype_2004
RealGM

Post#14 » by hype_2004 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:24 pm

hype_2004 wrote:
cheese318 wrote:

Wtf you talking about? Snyder started as an assistant coach with the Clippers and got back in the NBA at the young age of 39 yrs. Went the D league route and also coached in Europe, he's well traveled and experienced. He's not a career College coaches from big program that got into the league late in his career, LMFAO!

Oh an another thing Williams is a Football coach this is basketball were talking about wrong sport, lol!
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,418

Post#15 » by HarthorneWingo » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:55 pm

lol, yeah, I bet he is.

What about coaching high school boys? "NO!," you say?
Free Palestine
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,865

Post#16 » by Jeff Van Gully » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:09 pm

umm... and he's dirty as all hell.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
arasu
Rookie
And1: 147

Post#17 » by arasu » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:45 pm

hype_2004 wrote:
cheese318 wrote:

In Patino's first NBA head coaching stint he was a young coach on the rise with a fresh and controversial style, with heavy emphasis on three point shooting---a coach ahead of his time. The premature end to his Knicks coaching career led him to a successful return to college coaching. When the Celtics brought him into the mix, they gave him too much power and he wilted under the public pressure. The incredible stench of his total failure in Boston made him an NBA pariah. The idea that he could make a return seems a bit laughable. Though if he could return and find any success it would certainly be an incredible comeback story.
cheese318
Sixth Man

Post#18 » by cheese318 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:03 am

hype_2004 wrote:
cheese318 wrote:

Didn’t he coach Missouri for about seven seasons? He coached one season as assistant coach in 1992-93. Then spent about 13 years in college. You are acting as if I am ludicrous to name him as a successful college coach who transitioned to the NBA. Kind of ridiculous but congrats to you if that makes you sleep better

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Hoopzilla wrote:
Whether I was born or not when the Orlando Magic tried to form a Super Team means absolutely nothing to this conversation. One thing is pretty clear, you are the load your mother should have swallowed and moved on with her life... :nod:
cheese318
Sixth Man

Post#19 » by cheese318 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:31 am

hype_2004 wrote:
hype_2004 wrote:
cheese318 wrote:

Oh an another thing Williams is a Football coach this is basketball were talking about wrong sport, lol!

I was comparing a person who got in trouble in his profession and was able to come back from the public onslaught of #bountygate. If you asked people back then they probably would have said he would never coach again. Which is why I brought it up in regards to Pitino as he is trying to rebuild his image after his dismissal from Louisville

Hoopzilla wrote:
hype_2004
RealGM

Post#20 » by hype_2004 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:04 am

cheese318 wrote:
hype_2004 wrote:
cheese318 wrote:

Didn’t he coach Missouri for about seven seasons? He coached one season as assistant coach in 1992-93. Then spent about 13 years in college. You are acting as if I am ludicrous to name him as a successful college coach who transitioned to the NBA. Kind of ridiculous but congrats to you if that makes you sleep better

Not your typical college BIG Program coach, went to Europe and coached the d league and was a young NBA coach with international/ minor league experience, yeah I'll sleep good today! Oh and your Gregg Williams NFL anecdote is utterly laughable, yeah like comparing the NFL and NBA is like apples and oranges, lol!

Return to Wiretap Discussion