Cavaliers Could Have Interest In Avery Johnson

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Cavaliers Could Have Interest In Avery Johnson 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:56 pm

The Cleveland Cavaliers could have interest in pursuing Avery Johnson as head coach.

Dan Gilbert has had interest in hiring a college coach for several seasons with offers in the past to Tom Izzo, Bill Self and John Calipari. Johnson is in his fourth season at Alabama and has coached in the NBA previously with the Dallas Mavericks and Brooklyn Nets.

Johnson also coached Collin Sexton at Alabama.

Officials from the Cavaliers spent time with Johnson in advance of drafting Sexton.

Via Brian Windhorst/ESPN

Rek
Senior
And1: 128

Re: Cavaliers Could Have Interest In Avery Johnson 

Post#2 » by Rek » Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:13 pm

Could be a good fit. Sexton pretty clearly did well playing for him last year. Plus maybe Johnson isn't going to worry too much about their current roster if he really wants another chance coaching in the NBA. Have to assume that CLE will be trying to trade off several of the vets. So, whoever coaches there is going to have their work cut out.
FreeBoosie
Senior
And1: 119

Post#3 » by FreeBoosie » Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:59 pm

Always liked him and he definitely deserves another shot. That 2006 mavs team got robbed in the finals by the officials/NBA but atleast they got their payback a few years later.
I think Avery Johnson could help this young cavs team with their identity and play style the way Snyder helped the Jazz.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,847

Post#4 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:00 pm

Good luck with that. Avery coaches like its still 1989.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,066

Post#5 » by Lalouie » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:13 pm

if this was football, bama would fight it tooth and nail
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,066

Post#6 » by Lalouie » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:15 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:Good luck with that. Avery coaches like its still 1989.

but all the cavs current roster started their career in 1989
Grumpy Heat Fan
General Manager
And1: 8,321

Post#7 » by Grumpy Heat Fan » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:56 pm

FreeBoosie wrote:Always liked him and he definitely deserves another shot. That 2006 mavs team got robbed in the finals by the officials/NBA but atleast they got their payback a few years later.
I think Avery Johnson could help this young cavs team with their identity and play style the way Snyder helped the Jazz.

Nobody got robbed. Stop spreading disinformation and discrediting the 2006 Heat and Dwyane Wade. That 2006 Heat team was stacked from veterans and future Hall of Famers from top to bottom. And they had a prime D-Wade, whom the Mavericks could not stop.

2006 Heat championship team -

PG - Jason Williams, Gary Payton
SG - Dwyane Wade, Shandon Anderson
SF - Antoine Walker, James Posey
PF - Udonis Haslem
C - Shaquille O'Neal, Alonzo Mourning

Just right there, you have 4 Hall of Famers. Shaq, Alonzo Mourning, Gary Payton, and Dwayne Wade.

James Posey back then was one of the league's best 3&D role players.
Jason Williams... he's so underrated.
Antoine Walker was still a good player.
"As for me personally, I don't truly care how much I make these days, my main focus is on playing for a winner." - Dirk Nowitzki, July 2016
cheese318
Sixth Man
And1: 227

Post#8 » by cheese318 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:05 pm

Rek wrote:Could be a good fit. Sexton pretty clearly did well playing for him last year. Plus maybe Johnson isn't going to worry too much about their current roster if he really wants another chance coaching in the NBA. Have to assume that CLE will be trying to trade off several of the vets. So, whoever coaches there is going to have their work cut out.

Didn’t they just resign Love/Nance? Who’s getting traded? Hood or Hill? Thompson & Smith aren’t going anywhere. Unless someone wants to dump a longterm contract for an expiring. But I think it’s best for Cleveland to try to start over with drafting and smart free agent moves

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Hoopzilla wrote:
Whether I was born or not when the Orlando Magic tried to form a Super Team means absolutely nothing to this conversation. One thing is pretty clear, you are the load your mother should have swallowed and moved on with her life... :nod:
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#9 » by Stillwater » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:43 pm

cheese318 wrote:
Rek wrote:Could be a good fit. Sexton pretty clearly did well playing for him last year. Plus maybe Johnson isn't going to worry too much about their current roster if he really wants another chance coaching in the NBA. Have to assume that CLE will be trying to trade off several of the vets. So, whoever coaches there is going to have their work cut out.

Didn’t they just resign Love/Nance? Who’s getting traded? Hood or Hill? Thompson & Smith aren’t going anywhere. Unless someone wants to dump a longterm contract for an expiring. But I think it’s best for Cleveland to try to start over with drafting and smart free agent moves

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

:lol: Even if Hill and Smith don't hold enough value on the court in a trade scenario to get a worthwhile return both of their low guarantees in 19-20 will get them waived and fall off the books for the Cavs next summer. I think it's pretty likely Hill gets traded for like you said a longer term contract that is younger. I also think there is a small chance Smith's contract will be valued pretty high on draft night for teams buying cap space since he can still be traded for his full salary in 19-20 despite being only guaranteed a partial amount(old cba grandfathered).
Thompson is going to be a hard sell, so hopefully he plays hard and doesn't lose interest in the next 2 seasons. Hood will likely get some pretty decent offers in FA depending on how the season goes, but if his first game post Lue firing is any indication of the future; he's getting a decent contract either from CLE or elsewhere.
I think Korver & Frye are the most reasonable expectations to be traded sooner than later.
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#10 » by ChokeFasncists » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:46 pm

Grumpy Heat Fan wrote:
FreeBoosie wrote:Always liked him and he definitely deserves another shot. That 2006 mavs team got robbed in the finals by the officials/NBA but atleast they got their payback a few years later.

Nobody got robbed. Stop spreading disinformation and discrediting the 2006 Heat and Dwyane Wade. That 2006 Heat team was stacked from veterans and future Hall of Famers from top to bottom. And they had a prime D-Wade, whom the Mavericks could not stop.

PF - Udonis Haslem

Just right there, you have 4 Hall of Famers. Shaq, Alonzo Mourning, Gary Payton, and Dwayne Wade.

Got Pat as well!

OP: AJ needs to take some lessons from Pop.
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
dan-man
Sixth Man
And1: 364

Post#11 » by dan-man » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:21 pm

And yall "could" have interest in sucking my D... that kind of vague reporting doesn't get'r done.
dan-man
Sixth Man
And1: 364

Post#12 » by dan-man » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:24 pm

Grumpy Heat Fan wrote:

PF - Udonis Haslem

Was that one ref who got sent to the booty house for rigging games calling that series?
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#13 » by ChokeFasncists » Thu Nov 1, 2018 7:49 pm

dan-man wrote:And yall "could" have interest in sucking my D... that kind of vague reporting doesn't get'r done.

Maybe it's just the Cavs telling Drew to stfu.
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.

Return to Wiretap Discussion