The Robert Covington thread: "Big Shot Bob" 

Post#1 » by minimus » Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:48 pm

Finally we have 3&D player

KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,790

Re: The Robert Covington thread: "Big Shot Bob" 

Post#2 » by KGdaBom » Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:54 pm

Not just any 3&D player. The best one in the league.
Shaka_Zulu
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,653

Post#3 » by Shaka_Zulu » Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:59 pm

Welcome! Really like him. Tho I'm prepared to be frustrated with his super streaky shooting.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Killboard
Analyst
And1: 943

Post#4 » by Killboard » Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:41 pm

Short video on Covington versatility and smarts on switches (I still dont know why Thibs has never tried that).

minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,705

Post#5 » by minimus » Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:02 pm

Killboard wrote:Short video on Covington versatility and smarts on switches (I still dont know why Thibs has never tried that).

I guess because you need someone like RoCo 6'9" with 7'1" wingspan to play switches. Also it is very difficult to execute for young players.
Killboard
Analyst
And1: 943

Post#6 » by Killboard » Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:06 pm

minimus wrote:
Killboard wrote:Short video on Covington versatility and smarts on switches (I still dont know why Thibs has never tried that).

I guess because you need someone like RoCo 6'9" with 7'1" wingspan to play switches. Also it is very difficult to execute for young players.

We tried it with Mitchell and worked out sometimes. Im not sure it can be any worse than now...
SixersMS
Junior
And1: 99

Post#7 » by SixersMS » Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:21 pm

KGdaBom wrote:Not just any 3&D player. The best one in the league.

Actually he's very limited offensively he can't create his own shot at all or drive to the basket and finish. Basically a standstill shooter who can play defense.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#8 » by KGdaBom » Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:33 pm

SixersMS wrote:

Actually he's very limited offensively he can't create his own shot at all or drive to the basket and finish. Basically a standstill shooter who can play defense.

Best 3&D player in the league. 3&D implies the player isn't an all around offensive force. If a player is an all around offensive force they aren't a 3&D player. They play defense and Covington was first team All NBA on that and shoot 3s and he is pretty good at that.
SixersMS
Junior
And1: 99

Post#9 » by SixersMS » Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:37 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
SixersMS wrote:

Best 3&D player in the league. 3&D implies the player isn't an all around offensive force. If a player is an all around offensive force they aren't a 3&D player. They play defense and Covington was first team All NBA on that and shoot 3s and he is pretty good at that.

Best 3 & D player in the league? LMAO

You're going full homer here bud. He's basically a standstill shooter he can't drive to the basket nor can he create his own shot you will find out. I have watched every single game he's played in a sixer uniform. Nice guy but very limited offensively.
akeefe03
Junior
And1: 403

Post#10 » by akeefe03 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:00 pm

SixersMS wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
SixersMS wrote:

You're going full homer here bud. He's basically a standstill shooter he can't drive to the basket nor can he create his own shot you will find out. I have watched every single game he's played in a sixer uniform. Nice guy but very limited offensively.

Did you even read what he said? He’s saying he’s just a 3 point shooter and defender.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#11 » by KGdaBom » Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:08 pm

SixersMS wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
SixersMS wrote:

I'm not disputing a word you said, but I'm not going full homer. Do you understand what a 3&D player is? Did you read anything I typed? Covington is the very definition of one. He is the best 3&D player in the league.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#12 » by KGdaBom » Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:09 pm

akeefe03 wrote:
SixersMS wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:Best 3&D player in the league. 3&D implies the player isn't an all around offensive force. If a player is an all around offensive force they aren't a 3&D player. They play defense and Covington was first team All NBA on that and shoot 3s and he is pretty good at that.

Did you even read what he said? He’s saying he’s just a 3 point shooter and defender.

Thank you. Judging by his reply he only read the first 8 words I typed.
alabamawolf
Senior
And1: 321

Post#13 » by alabamawolf » Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:18 pm

SixersMS wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
SixersMS wrote:

I’m not sure you understand what 3 & D is
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,705

Post#14 » by minimus » Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:55 pm

RoCo is not the best 3&D in the league. He is too inconsistent as shooter and not very athletically gifted. But he is a good, smart team player, which is the biggest need for us right now. His contract is fair. I guess we all need to have right expectations for him. As system product I can see him very struggling under Thibs in current situation, we probably should wait till ASG before some chemistry will appear.
Phila Tough
Head Coach
And1: 2,856

Post#15 » by Phila Tough » Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:31 pm

Yeah, RoCo is great and Def one of the better 3&D guys in the league, but he is not the best. He will be good for you guys though. Great off ball defense, good man on man defense. Excellent anticipation on pass lanes and switches. Low offensive iQ and takes a lot of suspect shots, but when he's on, it's a joy to watch. He's also a great locker room guy. Wouldn't surprise me if you guys actually got better with this trade. Good luck
Indomitable
RealGM
And1: 5,407

Post#16 » by Indomitable » Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:49 pm

SixersMS wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
SixersMS wrote:

He never claimed he was a 2 way player. He describe a 3D player. What are you talking about?
:banghead:
Rashodamus
Sophomore
And1: 111

Post#17 » by Rashodamus » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:35 pm

Yeah, the guy who shoots .359 from 3 on wide open looks for his career and never higher than .374 is the best 3&D guy in the NBA!

He was tied for 91st in 3pt % in the NBA with sharpshooters like Al Farooq Aminu and Marreese Speights and .001 better than the vaunted Jeff Teague!

The year before he was tied for 138th in the league.

The year before that he was tied for 87th in the league.

Hes mediocre at half of the "3&D" equation, cant jump over a phone book, and has little to no offensive game outside of wide open spot up 3's at league average success.

Wake up.
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,122

Post#18 » by Arsenal » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:38 pm

Sixer fan checking in who has watched most of RoCo's games the last several years.

He IS the best 3&D player in the league. If not then who is better? Best defensive wing in the league and a good volume 3 point shooter.

Intelligent Sixers fans are VERY sorry to see him go, but you have to give to get. RoCo provides very positive impact and will greatly help boost your win totals in the regular season. It's just that his skillset isn't as valuable in the playoffs because he can't create for himself on offense.

But overall he's a very good player and any team would be lucky to have him. Treat him well, he's one of our OG Process guys from the Hinkie era, and we have a lot of love for him and for Dario.
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,122

Post#19 » by Arsenal » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:39 pm

Rashodamus wrote:Yeah, the guy who shoots .359 from 3 on wide open looks for his career and never higher than .374 is the best 3&D guy in the NBA!

He was tied for 91st in 3pt % in the NBA with sharpshooters like Al Farooq Aminu and Marreese Speights and .001 better than the vaunted Jeff Teague!

Hes mediocre at half of the "3&D" equation, cant jump over a phone book, and has little to no offensive game outside of wide open spot up 3's at league average success.

Wake up.

You have no clue if you're comparing his 3 point shooting to Aminu and Speights.

Go ahead and name a better 3&D player in the league. You can't because he is the best one when you factor in BOTH offense AND defense.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,046

Post#20 » by Sixerscan » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:04 am

Rashodamus wrote:Yeah, the guy who shoots .359 from 3 on wide open looks for his career and never higher than .374 is the best 3&D guy in the NBA!

Wake up.

Here's the thing above Covington's shooting.

When he first got to Philly, obviously we were really bad. And the biggest reason why we were bad was the half court offense. No one could create anything, turnovers left and right, ect. So the Sixers decided the best (least worst) way to combat that was to have their three point shooters take shots the second they have any bit of daylight. Even if your feet aren't perfectly set. Even if you are 30 feet from the basket. Let it rip.

They first asked a guy named James Anderson to do it, but he was not comfortable shooting that much, so they got rid of him. Covington was the first guy to come in and really take to it. He would take tons of 3s that many guys would pass up. And the result was, even if they didn't go in, teams had to account for him wherever he was on the court, which opened space for everyone else. And they continued this practice even as Embiid and Simmons started playing, in part I'm sure because the team still lacked half court shot creation. (Something we are hoping Butler can provide)

He's a very good shooter. You watch him in warmups (He's the kind of guy that goes out 75 minutes before every game and does a long hard meticulous shooting routine) and he's draining everything. I have no doubt that if he took 3 3s a game only when he's wide open like Aminu does, he would shoot well above 40%. And if Thibs tells him to only shoot in those situations, I'm sure he will. But if they want him to continue to be aggressive, he'll shoot above league average on some of the highest volume of the league, which is itself valuable.

Since I'm already talking about him, in terms of his defense: You guys are getting a great defensive player, but you need to understand what he is and what he isn't. He's not Tony Allen. He's not a shutdown corner or a star stopper. His on ball defense is ok to good (was bad in the playoffs against the Celtics last year). His main value in that aspect is that he legitimately can play solid on ball defense on anyone 1-4.

But when it comes to team defense, he's legitimately one of the 3 or 4 best wings in the league. He is incredible at digging down on drives and getting his hands on balls. His steals and blocks numbers this year have been out of this world, and that's only the tip of the iceberg. He's consistently at the top the leaderboard in deflection rate and contested shots. He's always getting his hands on balls and causing turnovers.

Those two aspects made him somewhat of a controversial figure in Philly. If you didn't like him, it was because he was a chucker and was overrated defensively because he couldn't lock people down. If you liked him, he's a good shooter that was following orders to take shots, and his team defense more than made up for any deficiencies. As you can guess, I was in the latter camp.

I hope he does well. I am worried about Thibs playing him 45 minutes a game.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves