ImageImageImage

The Robert Covington thread: "Big Shot Bob"

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,428

Re: The Robert Covington thread: "Big Shot Bob" 

Post#41 » by shrink » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:05 am

Rashodamus wrote:The timberwolves traded Zach Lavine, Dunn, Lauri for Butler and Patton.

The timberwolves traded Butler and Patton for Roco, Saric, and Bayless.

So in effect the wolves traded Zach Lavine, Kris Dunn, and Lauri Markkenen for Roco, Saric, Bayless in a year.

Rasho, if you believe this, can you sell my car for me? I paid $20,000, drove it around for a year, and I want you to sell it for $20,000.

“in effect,” two years of Butler under contract is the same thing as one year of Butler, right?
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
Killboard
Analyst
And1: 943

Post#42 » by Killboard » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:23 pm

Rashodamus wrote:
Arsenal wrote:
Rashodamus wrote:
I dont hate him, but you are insane if you take him over Lavine which is what some people here are saying. Lavine can create for himself with the best of them, hes also a better shooter than Roco. Ones a very good role player, one could be a star and might be already and some are slow to realize it.

No one until now has ever accused Zach Lavine of being a 3&D player.

The timberwolves traded Zach Lavine, Dunn, Lauri for Butler and Patton.

So in effect the wolves traded Zach Lavine, Kris Dunn, and Lauri Markkenen for Roco, Saric, Bayless in a year.

I would rather have Zach Lavine alone than Saric/Roco.

Do you understand? You all caught up now?

The Butler trade would look a lot better if Patton had good wheels. Despite he wasn't in my bord I can blame anyone for his health, and It could happen with any pick.

If the trade was Zach, Dunn and Mark for Saric, Covington and Anunoby I would do it any day of the week even without mention their salaries.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,422

Post#43 » by 76ciology » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:52 am

Phenomenal team defender and one of the league’s best spot up shooter. Lock down defender to some players like Kemba but I find him to struggle on more of the star wings in the league.

Having KAT and Wiggins would lessen possessions where he’s asked to do things outside his abilities.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Grubie024
Junior
And1: 411

Post#44 » by Grubie024 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:03 am

shrink wrote:
Rashodamus wrote:The timberwolves traded Zach Lavine, Dunn, Lauri for Butler and Patton.

Rasho, if you believe this, can you sell my car for me? I paid $20,000, drove it around for a year, and I want you to sell it for $20,000.

“in effect,” two years of Butler under contract is the same thing as one year of Butler, right?

Don't even bother trying to talk sense into this guy. Winless battle. Too arrogant and delusional.
AirP.
RealGM
And1: 28,549

Post#45 » by AirP. » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:46 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
dorkestra
RealGM
And1: 12,674

Post#46 » by dorkestra » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:48 am

Philly never quite appreciated Covington in the way that he deserved. I hope you guys treat him well. He's a really nice player.
folks who quote what I wrote get choked
sky4it
Junior
And1: 83

Post#47 » by sky4it » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:09 am

dorkestra wrote:Philly never quite appreciated Covington in the way that he deserved. I hope you guys treat him well. He's a really nice player.

yeah hes a nice add. it was great to see his team mates smiling again too. your never really do miss defense that much, until its not there at all.
King Malta
Starter
And1: 1,547

Post#48 » by King Malta » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:33 am

dorkestra wrote:Philly never quite appreciated Covington in the way that he deserved. I hope you guys treat him well. He's a really nice player.

He's been admired from afar by a few on this board for a while. We'll treat him well mate!
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,790

Post#49 » by KGdaBom » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:12 am

King Malta wrote:

He's been admired from afar by a few on this board for a while. We'll treat him well mate!

My first hope when Jimmy requested a trade was RoCo and Saric. Absolutely admired RoCo's game.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#50 » by KGdaBom » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:13 am

Grubie024 wrote:
shrink wrote:

Don't even bother trying to talk sense into this guy. Winless battle. Too arrogant and delusional.

Which guy are you referring to as arrogant and delusional? Rasho or Shrink?
MN7725
Veteran
And1: 1,076

Post#51 » by MN7725 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:15 am

Good first game

As JimPete pointed out, gives great effort getting to his spots in transition. Hopefully can get some more spot up shots when other players get use to that

Was weird seeing the Wolves running multiple dribble hand-offs for RCov, not really his game
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#52 » by KGdaBom » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:15 am

To me this game reiterated that we got excellent fit in the trade for RoCo and Saric. Of course RoCo would be an excellent fit on any team. I bet the 76ers are thinking after tonight's game how they could sure use a player like RoCo.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,830

Post#53 » by Klomp » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:24 am

I just hope fans don't expect Robert to fill the Butler role in terms of scoring and offensive usage, and thus judge the trade by his lack of offensive usage. I think tonight was a good example of what we can see from him going forward.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Grubie024
Junior
And1: 411

Post#54 » by Grubie024 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:36 am

KGdaBom wrote:
Grubie024 wrote:
shrink wrote:Rasho, if you believe this, can you sell my car for me? I paid $20,000, drove it around for a year, and I want you to sell it for $20,000.

Rasho of course! Shrink is legit
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,830

Post#55 » by Klomp » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:59 am

Similar to the size thing I brought up in the Saric/Bjelica comp, I think it's important to note the length of Covington.

As great a grinder as Butler is, he's not someone who was blessed with all of the physical gifts. Butler and Covington are essentially the same height (Covington was measured 0.25" taller without shoes), but Covington has a wingspan that is over 6 inches longer than the wingspan of Butler (7'1.75" vs. 6'7.5"). Not quite freaky level like Okogie, but not far off either.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,067

Post#56 » by shangrila » Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:28 am

MN7725 wrote:Good first game

As JimPete pointed out, gives great effort getting to his spots in transition. Hopefully can get some more spot up shots when other players get use to that

Was weird seeing the Wolves running multiple dribble hand-offs for RCov, not really his game

This is something I was concerned about. Thibs isn't know for his flexibility and his offensive system is designed around getting wings/guards penetrating into the key. If Covington starts getting forced into things he isn't good at it could cause problems.

Something to keep an eye on going forward at least.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#57 » by KGdaBom » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:43 pm

Grubie024 wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
Grubie024 wrote:Don't even bother trying to talk sense into this guy. Winless battle. Too arrogant and delusional.

Rasho of course! Shrink is legit

Just making sure. :D
MN7725
Veteran
And1: 1,076

Post#58 » by MN7725 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:34 pm

shangrila wrote:
MN7725 wrote:Good first game

This is something I was concerned about. Thibs isn't know for his flexibility and his offensive system is designed around getting wings/guards penetrating into the key. If Covington starts getting forced into things he isn't good at it could cause problems.

Something to keep an eye on going forward at least.

It was during the disaster 3rd quarter when not much was working

It was concerning that in the limited time they had to integrate the new players, dribble-handoffs for RCov would something prioritized

We'll see though

But yet another reason to start Saric is that Wig/RCov are both pretty mediocre dribblers for wings, which puts A LOT of pressure on Teague. Saric can do some point forward things, even just bringing the ball up against opposition
Rashodamus
Sophomore
And1: 111

Post#59 » by Rashodamus » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:15 am

dred926 wrote:
Rashodamus wrote:
The timberwolves traded Zach Lavine, Dunn, Lauri for Butler and Patton.

I would rather have Zach Lavine alone than Saric/Roco.

Do you understand? You all caught up now?

you are so smart... if we didnt trade for butler we would never have been to the playoffs last year and even with markanen and lavine and dunn we would never make it either. we gambled for butler to make the playoffs dont kid yourself

Thanks for backing the deal also costing us the 2018 FRP we sent to Atlanta. :P
Rashodamus
Sophomore
And1: 111

Post#60 » by Rashodamus » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:17 am

shrink wrote:

Was his contract situation unknown? Could the lesser value of only 1 year of team control not be predicted? Its funny because its something I noted at the time of the trade.

Trust me, I knew Butlers value would be lower in a year, it was one of many obvious reasons for it being a stupid trade in the first place.

In fact in one of my quotes I bring up Paul George as a comparison and his one year remaining at the time.

Quit trying to sell me on the idiotic notion it was a good trade and that it didnt set us back. Open your eyes and see the big picture, it was low upside high risk trash.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves