Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

shrink
RealGM
And1: 13,991

Re: The Robert Covington thread: "Big Shot Bob" 

Post#61 » by shrink » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:24 am

Rashodamus wrote:
shrink wrote:
Rashodamus wrote:The timberwolves traded Zach Lavine, Dunn, Lauri for Butler and Patton.

The timberwolves traded Butler and Patton for Roco, Saric, and Bayless.

So in effect the wolves traded Zach Lavine, Kris Dunn, and Lauri Markkenen for Roco, Saric, Bayless in a year.

Rasho, if you believe this, can you sell my car for me? I paid $20,000, drove it around for a year, and I want you to sell it for $20,000.

“in effect,” two years of Butler under contract is the same thing as one year of Butler, right?

Was his contract situation unknown? Could the lesser value of only 1 year of team control not be predicted? Its funny because its something I noted at the time of the trade.

Trust me, I knew Butlers value would be lower in a year, it was one of many obvious reasons for it being a stupid trade in the first place.

In fact in one of my quotes I bring up Paul George as a comparison and his one year remaining at the time.

Quit trying to sell me on the idiotic notion it was a good trade and that it didnt set us back. Open your eyes and see the big picture, it was low upside high risk trash.

You somehow still do not understand that that buying two years of Butler is not “in effect” the same as selling one year of Butler.

You chose to make that equivalence.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 26,692

Post#62 » by Domejandro » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:42 am

I just find the suggestion that Zach has massively improved to be amusing.
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,292

Post#63 » by Crazy-Canuck » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:47 am

shrink wrote:
Rashodamus wrote:
shrink wrote:Rasho, if you believe this, can you sell my car for me? I paid $20,000, drove it around for a year, and I want you to sell it for $20,000.

“in effect,” two years of Butler under contract is the same thing as one year of Butler, right?

Was his contract situation unknown? Could the lesser value of only 1 year of team control not be predicted? Its funny because its something I noted at the time of the trade.

Trust me, I knew Butlers value would be lower in a year, it was one of many obvious reasons for it being a stupid trade in the first place.

In fact in one of my quotes I bring up Paul George as a comparison and his one year remaining at the time.

Quit trying to sell me on the idiotic notion it was a good trade and that it didnt set us back. Open your eyes and see the big picture, it was low upside high risk trash.

You somehow still do not understand that that buying two years of Butler is not “in effect” the same as selling one year of Butler.

Id do rubio and udoh for Teague right now if Saric becomes the starter.
We'd have more than enough spacing and offense to cover Rubio.
Udoh would give us a tough defensive minded big that isnt totally useless.

While the Jazz get a second option for Mitchell.

Rubio/Rose
Wiggs/Okogie
Cov/Wiggs
Saric/Tolliver
Kat/Udoh
spikeslovechild
RealGM
And1: 5,901

Post#64 » by spikeslovechild » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:18 am

I like Roco he does a ton of things well on the defensive end of the floor. However he isn't the best 3 and D player in the league. He's extremely streaky and his career 3PT numbers are pretty much league average (.360) vs .362.

Part of Tibs job will be to make sure he takes less contested threes and doesn't force shots early in the shot clock. It was frustrating at times watching him play. Hope it works out for you folks. Hope the trade works out well for both of us.
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#65 » by Jedzz » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:20 am

Domejandro wrote:I just find the suggestion that Zach has massively improved to be amusing.

I do agree Dom.
If there is an improvement, it's that he's definitely more apt to finish at the rim. Finishing there also draws more fouls. That's more reliable than hoping your shot is warm all game. He's doing both steady now. I'll claim massive improvement if I see him using those leaps for more boards and figures out a way to defend a little stronger. He just might at some point.
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#66 » by Jedzz » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:23 am

Crazy-Canuck wrote:
shrink wrote:
Rashodamus wrote:

Id do rubio and udoh for Teague right now if Saric becomes the starter.
We'd have more than enough spacing and offense to cover Rubio.
Udoh would give us a tough defensive minded big that isnt totally useless.

While the Jazz get a second option for Mitchell.

Rubio/Rose
Wiggs/Okogie
Cov/Wiggs
Saric/Tolliver
Kat/Udoh

I don't know if I could handle Rubio starting over Rose at this point. Maybe an even split of time, starts based on the opponent matchup. They both have a history of getting injured so maybe that would help them both.
LibertyPrime
Starter
And1: 1,887

Post#67 » by LibertyPrime » Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:24 am

I think Ricky's best moments in the league will come when he's reached the ring-chasing part of his career and he leads an elite bench unit on a good team, where he can come in late first/early second quarter and provide a change of pace, kind of like a rich man's Fred Van Vleet, instead of being relied on as a primary provisioner of offense.
"The last domino falls here!"
Tukkerwolf
Starter
And1: 2,155

Post#68 » by Tukkerwolf » Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:55 pm

This topic dropped too much.
LordCovington33
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,629

Post#69 » by LordCovington33 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:13 am

SixersMS wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
SixersMS wrote:
Actually he's very limited offensively he can't create his own shot at all or drive to the basket and finish. Basically a standstill shooter who can play defense.

Best 3&D player in the league. 3&D implies the player isn't an all around offensive force. If a player is an all around offensive force they aren't a 3&D player. They play defense and Covington was first team All NBA on that and shoot 3s and he is pretty good at that.

Best 3 & D player in the league? LMAO

You're going full homer here bud. He's basically a standstill shooter he can't drive to the basket nor can he create his own shot you will find out. I have watched every single game he's played in a sixer uniform. Nice guy but very limited offensively.

He started driving more towards the end of his Philly days. He was getting quite good at it. I haven’t watched much ‘wolves ball, but hopefully he can continue to work on that part of his game.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,678

Post#70 » by minimus » Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:38 am

RoCo leads all SF/SGs in NBA with 1.56bpg. Wiggins is no slouch either with 0.6bpg
Killboard
Analyst
And1: 943

Post#71 » by Killboard » Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:32 pm

LibertyPrime wrote:I think Ricky's best moments in the league will come when he's reached the ring-chasing part of his career and he leads an elite bench unit on a good team, where he can come in late first/early second quarter and provide a change of pace, kind of like a rich man's Fred Van Vleet, instead of being relied on as a primary provisioner of offense.

He was very good here with youngs (and busts) around. The team standings were awful, but while he was played the team had a positive net rating in all his minutes. Utah doesn't have enough offensive talent but the system maked up a lot last season. I still thinking he should excel here, even more with Covington and Saric.
john2jer
RealGM
And1: 452

Post#72 » by john2jer » Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:41 am

Killboard wrote:Short video on Covington versatility and smarts on switches (I still dont know why Thibs has never tried that).

I absolutely love this video. Orgasmic.
basketball royalty wrote:Is Miami considered a big city in the States? I thought guys just went there because of the weather and the bitches?
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,881

Post#73 » by theGreatRC » Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:31 am

Big fan of RoCo. Love what he brings to the table. Wish we'd hit him more in transition, but he is the perfect type of role player for any team in this league. Low usage offensive player that takes the most valuable shot in basketball, defends at a high level and rebounds his position. Not to mention he seems like a great teammate and is vocal
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
Simmons25
Analyst
And1: 2,235

Post#74 » by Simmons25 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:18 am

Damn the Cov you saw today was the Cov I am glad we got rid of and why he used to get booed by the crowd. 1 for 18 shooting and no off switch... happened a lot at the sixers and these shooting slumps sometimes lasted for games at time. He could be a great player on defense alone... if only he knew when enough was enough in these games where he is cold and has no conscience. Can't carry dudes like this in the playoffs as we found to our detriment.
Tukkerwolf
Starter
And1: 2,155

Post#75 » by Tukkerwolf » Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:41 am

If Covington gets booed in Minny for playing hard, but missing shots I'll be heavily disappointed.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,583

Post#76 » by Klomp » Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:15 pm

Simmons25 wrote:Damn the Cov you saw today was the Cov I am glad we got rid of and why he used to get booed by the crowd. 1 for 18 shooting and no off switch... happened a lot at the sixers and these shooting slumps sometimes lasted for games at time. He could be a great player on defense alone... if only he knew when enough was enough in these games where he is cold and has no conscience. Can't carry dudes like this in the playoffs as we found to our detriment.

Should he maybe shoot less when he's struggling? Perhaps. But I thought he had a very solid game last night. Say what you want about the shooting, but 6 rebounds, 3 blocks and 3 steals is exactly what we want from him. Also, Minnesota lacks 3-point shooters. If he doesn't put them up, hardly anyone else will. He needs to stay aggressive and keep shooting. It helps the whole team with its spacing.

I don't think I will ever boo Covington for poor shooting as long as he plays as hard as he did last night. Then again, I would never boo Santa Claus either or throw beer cans at opposing fans or anything else that the Philadelphia fan base has become known for.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,661

Post#77 » by KGdaBom » Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:50 pm

Simmons25 wrote:Damn the Cov you saw today was the Cov I am glad we got rid of and why he used to get booed by the crowd. 1 for 18 shooting and no off switch... happened a lot at the sixers and these shooting slumps sometimes lasted for games at time. He could be a great player on defense alone... if only he knew when enough was enough in these games where he is cold and has no conscience. Can't carry dudes like this in the playoffs as we found to our detriment.

Players are supposed to keep shooting cold or not. His coach and his teammates wanted him to keep shooting or he wouldn't have. It is very strange that on his worst shooting night I bet ever he took his most shots ever. Or darn close to that.
McHalesBurner
Junior
And1: 499

Post#78 » by McHalesBurner » Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:54 pm

Let's just be thankful we won with our wings shooting 1-30. My god.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,661

Post#79 » by KGdaBom » Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:56 pm

McHalesBurner wrote:Let's just be thankful we won with our wings shooting 1-30. My god.

I wonder if any team ever before in NBA history has won with their wings shooting 1-30.
Rashodamus
Sophomore
And1: 111

Post#80 » by Rashodamus » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:00 am

shrink wrote:You somehow still do not understand that that buying two years of Butler is not “in effect” the same as selling one year of Butler.

You are backwards AF.

I am comparing Butlers value when we traded for him to Butlers value going forward. After a season of trying it out and determining if this will work you now have a pending UFA on your hands, you already lost value. THIS WAS KNOWN BEFORE YOU MAKE THE DEAL. :banghead:

Lavine/Dunn/Markkanen are the opposite, its quite likely their value INCREASES (as it did). We traded and appreciating asset for a depreciating one.

Wtf are we "buying 2 years of Butler" for? Did this team in any way scream "2 year window"? Did anything in the NBA tell us this was our time to strike? Did you seriously have delusions of Jimmy Butlers bum ass coming here and forming some super team which would matter in any way? Cmon man, jesus.

Give me cap space back, give me my 2018 1st, give me Lavine/Dunn/Lauri...go get a Doncic, go get a JJJ, cash the assets in on pieces which fit and keep building. Its tiring discussing it with people who cant see it beyond Butler vs Lavine/Dunn/Markkanen. If you cant grasp the other variables in play and how our team could be in much better shape then theres nothing here for me to talk about.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves