Zion Williamson Settling In As No. 1 Prospect Of 2019 NBA Draft Class

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 291

Zion Williamson Settling In As No. 1 Prospect Of 2019 NBA Draft Class 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:31 pm

Zion Williamson is settling in as the No. 1 prospect in the 2019 NBA Draft class.

Williamson's blend of skill, size, strength and athleticism makes him one of the most unique prospects in recent memory.

"Don't overthink this one," said one high ranking executive.

"Don't pass up on another unicorn," said another.

Williamson has exceeded expectations over his first few weeks with Duke.

Via Mike Schmitz/ESPN

The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,047

Re: Zion Williamson Settling In As No. 1 Prospect Of 2019 NBA Draft Class 

Post#2 » by The_Hater » Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:19 pm

Reddish has no chance of being the top pick, this is a 2 man race.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
gordoncatrell
Sixth Man
And1: 178

Post#3 » by gordoncatrell » Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:29 pm

He plays like a high motor Julius Randle...
Not bad - but the hype is excessive.
stinger14
Starter
And1: 768

Post#4 » by stinger14 » Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:19 pm

The_Hater wrote:Reddish has no chance of being the top pick, this is a 2 man race.

I agree, Reddish is super talented but he needs to be more aggressive. Zion and Barrett are battling this out. I still have Barrett as the best prospect.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,047

Post#5 » by The_Hater » Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:42 pm

stinger14 wrote:
The_Hater wrote:Reddish has no chance of being the top pick, this is a 2 man race.

I agree, Reddish is super talented but he needs to be more aggressive. Zion and Barrett are battling this out. I still have Barrett as the best prospect.

I sounded a bit harsh on Reddish, he’s a great prospect, but not during a draft with two players possessing HOF potential.

I still have Barrett on top as well but his inefficiency and bouts of selfishness are bothering me.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
stinger14
Starter
And1: 768

Post#6 » by stinger14 » Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:59 pm

The_Hater wrote:
stinger14 wrote:

I sounded a bit harsh on Reddish, he’s a great prospect, but not during a draft with two players possessing HOF potential.

I still have Barrett on top as well but his inefficiency and bouts of selfishness are bothering me.

I believe he will grow out of that, and some of the selfishness could be by design in the system at Duke. I also think that he gets fouled a lot without calls being made so far this year. Yes he has shot some free throws, but if you go back and watch games you will see a lot missed also. His ability to attack will benefit him well at the next level, and at his age he will improve his jump shot.
m haynes
Junior
And1: 133

Post#7 » by m haynes » Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:10 pm

Zion Williamson will have a much harder time in the pros. He will have to deal with players that won't be intimated and have the size to match. Auburn game really concerns me. It's the 1st time he didn't face cupcakes and he didn't look like a force everyone is claiming. Now RJ Barrett, Wow, IMO he is the number one pick, hands down the best.
ShaqFu
Sophomore
And1: 41

Post#8 » by ShaqFu » Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:34 pm

No disrespect intended. To me, he's another Aaron Gordon, with a slightly higher ceiling. Gordon is an underrated player in my opinion, but he's not a player that is a first or second option on a team trying to win a championship. Zion is shorter too, and in my opinion, Aaron Gordon is the superior defender. Really a very underrated defender too. Still a good player, not a star. Might win a dunk contest.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,882
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#9 » by NO-KG-AI » Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:02 pm

m haynes wrote:Zion Williamson will have a much harder time in the pros. He will have to deal with players that won't be intimated and have the size to match. Auburn game really concerns me. It's the 1st time he didn't face cupcakes and he didn't look like a force everyone is claiming. Now RJ Barrett, Wow, IMO he is the number one pick, hands down the best.

Like who? Who can play on the perimeter at 270+?
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
jimmy keys
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,889

Post#10 » by jimmy keys » Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:25 pm

The #2 pick in this year's draft will be easiest # 2 pick since Durant in 2007. Just take whoever drops and be grateful you didn't have to make the hard choice between Zion & RJ.
gordoncatrell
Sixth Man

Post#11 » by gordoncatrell » Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:51 pm

NO-KG-AI wrote:
m haynes wrote:Zion Williamson will have a much harder time in the pros. He will have to deal with players that won't be intimated and have the size to match. Auburn game really concerns me. It's the 1st time he didn't face cupcakes and he didn't look like a force everyone is claiming. Now RJ Barrett, Wow, IMO he is the number one pick, hands down the best.

Like who? Who can play on the perimeter at 270+?

He'll need to lose weight to avoid injury and survive the grind of the NBA season...
Themaster007_v2
Freshman
And1: 49

Post#12 » by Themaster007_v2 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:59 am

ShaqFu wrote:No disrespect intended. To me, he's another Aaron Gordon, with a slightly higher ceiling. Gordon is an underrated player in my opinion, but he's not a player that is a first or second option on a team trying to win a championship. Zion is shorter too, and in my opinion, Aaron Gordon is the superior defender. Really a very underrated defender too. Still a good player, not a star. Might win a dunk contest.

I agree. I think the comparison to Barkley is crazy. His style of play offensively (minus the dunks and athletic plays) reminds me of Julius Randle (a poor man version). Don't get me wrong, I love the passion, attitude, and energy that Zion brings but I don't think his game will transition well mainly because he relies a lot on his athleticism and size to bully college kids around. But his teammate though, RJ Barrett, is my no. 1 choice. His athleticism, speed and ability to take the defender off the dribble has impressed me the most.

The funny thing is, of the trio of Zion, Barrett and Reddish, I think Reddish will be the better player in the long run of the three despite not getting the same hype like Zion and Barrett. This kid shows a lot of composure, better shot selection and does all the little things.
streets talking
Senior
And1: 31

Post#13 » by streets talking » Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:37 pm

Zion
I know you gonna read this
You need to develop a postgame like kobe bryant paul pierce

Its gonna open up the game for you and you can spin out of the post to drive

U need a floater like curry to score over the traffic

If a slim PG like shaun livingston can masterize it, u can do everything better than him
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,062

Post#14 » by Dat2U » Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:38 pm

gordoncatrell wrote:He plays like a high motor Julius Randle...

I've never seen Julius Randle fly.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,062

Post#15 » by Dat2U » Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:46 pm

Themaster007_v2 wrote:
ShaqFu wrote:No disrespect intended. To me, he's another Aaron Gordon, with a slightly higher ceiling. Gordon is an underrated player in my opinion, but he's not a player that is a first or second option on a team trying to win a championship. Zion is shorter too, and in my opinion, Aaron Gordon is the superior defender. Really a very underrated defender too. Still a good player, not a star. Might win a dunk contest.

I agree. I think the comparison to Barkley is crazy. His style of play offensively (minus the dunks and athletic plays) reminds me of Julius Randle (a poor man version). Don't get me wrong, I love the passion, attitude, and energy that Zion brings but I don't think his game will transition well mainly because he relies a lot on his athleticism and size to bully college kids around. But his teammate though, RJ Barrett, is my no. 1 choice. His athleticism, speed and ability to take the defender off the dribble has impressed me the most.

The funny thing is, of the trio of Zion, Barrett and Reddish, I think Reddish will be the better player in the long run of the three despite not getting the same hype like Zion and Barrett. This kid shows a lot of composure, better shot selection and does all the little things.

Sure, he bullies college kids. But what stops him from bullying grown men too? He's 280 lb attacking off the dribble at full speed with the athleticism of someone 230 lb. All you have to do is apply simple physics to see that anyone is going to literally bounce off this guy as he attacks the lane. And that's if they even get in the way!

The thing your not realizing is he is a unicorn. He's not Julius at all. Julius is a big with some perimeter skill. Julius moves well for his size but doesn't have anywhere near the explosion or lift Zion has. Zion is a wing that's the size of a big. His handle and passing ability are a couple of notches ahead of Julius. And then there's the weight difference!
Sprewell4Three
General Manager
And1: 4,771

Post#16 » by Sprewell4Three » Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:16 pm

Julius Randle has never jumped out the gym like Zion.
Sprewell4Three
General Manager
And1: 4,771

Post#17 » by Sprewell4Three » Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:18 pm

Dat2U wrote:
Themaster007_v2 wrote:

Sure, he bullies college kids. But what stops him from bullying grown men too? He's 280 lb attacking off the dribble at full speed with the athleticism of someone 230 lb. All you have to do is apply simple physics to see that anyone is going to literally bounce off this guy as he attacks the lane. And that's if they even get in the way!

The thing your not realizing is he is a unicorn. He's not Julius at all. Julius is a big with some perimeter skill. Julius moves well for his size but doesn't have anywhere near the explosion or lift Zion has. Zion is a wing that's the size of a big. His handle and passing ability are a couple of notches ahead of Julius. And then there's the weight difference!

Zion is a chiseled brick house, he's already bigger then Lebron right now. Yet people think he can't dominate grown men?
tbhawksfan1
Analyst
And1: 2,013

Post#18 » by tbhawksfan1 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:54 pm

"Some scouts believe the No. 1 pick will come down to Williamson and Cam Reddish, not RJ Barrett."

Yeah and all the scouts who don't think that one of RJ / Zion / Cam will go #1 need to be replaced asap...
gordoncatrell
Sixth Man

Post#19 » by gordoncatrell » Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:55 pm

Sprewell4Three wrote:

Julius Randle has never jumped out the gym like Zion.

Hes not an ingame highflying vinsanity act.
He plays Brutish half court sets or high motor open court. Hes very much like Randle (A Gordon maybe)....both kids are very good players...

When someone Comps Z to two young up and coming players who may be all stars one day; that's not an insult, nor is it an insult to say to comps to lebron magic shaq are excessive.

Larry Johnson is another good comp...Larry's 90s style game would be curtailed in today's NBA and wouldn't be as impactful.

Either way u slice it - this Z kid is good.
CobraCommander
RealGM
And1: 13,760

Post#20 » by CobraCommander » Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:28 pm

Waters wet-

Return to Wiretap Discussion