The Robert Covington thread: "Big Shot Bob"

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

King Malta
Starter
And1: 1,547

Re: The Robert Covington thread: "Big Shot Bob" 

Post#81 » by King Malta » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:11 am

Klomp wrote:
Simmons25 wrote:Damn the Cov you saw today was the Cov I am glad we got rid of and why he used to get booed by the crowd. 1 for 18 shooting and no off switch... happened a lot at the sixers and these shooting slumps sometimes lasted for games at time. He could be a great player on defense alone... if only he knew when enough was enough in these games where he is cold and has no conscience. Can't carry dudes like this in the playoffs as we found to our detriment.

Should he maybe shoot less when he's struggling? Perhaps. But I thought he had a very solid game last night. Say what you want about the shooting, but 6 rebounds, 3 blocks and 3 steals is exactly what we want from him. Also, Minnesota lacks 3-point shooters. If he doesn't put them up, hardly anyone else will. He needs to stay aggressive and keep shooting. It helps the whole team with its spacing.

I don't think I will ever boo Covington for poor shooting as long as he plays as hard as he did last night. Then again, I would never boo Santa Claus either or throw beer cans at opposing fans or anything else that the Philadelphia fan base has become known for.

:lol: Quality Klomp.

Philly sports fans are worse than New Yorkers IMO
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,661

Post#82 » by KGdaBom » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:45 am

Rashodamus wrote:
shrink wrote:You somehow still do not understand that that buying two years of Butler is not “in effect” the same as selling one year of Butler.

You chose to make that equivalence.

You are backwards AF.

I am comparing Butlers value when we traded for him to Butlers value going forward. After a season of trying it out and determining if this will work you now have a pending UFA on your hands, you already lost value. THIS WAS KNOWN BEFORE YOU MAKE THE DEAL. :banghead:

Lavine/Dunn/Markkanen are the opposite, its quite likely their value INCREASES (as it did). We traded and appreciating asset for a depreciating one.

Wtf are we "buying 2 years of Butler" for? Did this team in any way scream "2 year window"? Did anything in the NBA tell us this was our time to strike? Did you seriously have delusions of Jimmy Butlers bum ass coming here and forming some super team which would matter in any way? Cmon man, jesus.

Give me cap space back, give me my 2018 1st, give me Lavine/Dunn/Lauri...go get a Doncic, go get a JJJ, cash the assets in on pieces which fit and keep building. Its tiring discussing it with people who cant see it beyond Butler vs Lavine/Dunn/Markkanen. If you cant grasp the other variables in play and how our team could be in much better shape then theres nothing here for me to talk about.

Is this a promise? You really should leave here. Don't waste your genius on us pathetic losers who simply can't match your intellect and wisdom.
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 26,694

Post#83 » by Domejandro » Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:31 am

Robert Covington was phenomenal last night, despite shooting 1-18. Anyone who disagrees legitimately did not watch that game, I don't think Zach scored on him once, he is insane defensively.

He is basically the anti-Wiggins, his scoring is supplementary to his value.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,751

Post#84 » by Stanford » Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:41 am

Domejandro wrote:Robert Covington was phenomenal last night, despite shooting 1-18. Anyone who disagrees legitimately did not watch that game, I don't think Zach scored on him once, he is insane defensively.

Very happy to see you guys appreciating Rock.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,472

Post#85 » by Worm Guts » Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:45 am

Domejandro wrote:Robert Covington was phenomenal last night, despite shooting 1-18. Anyone who disagrees legitimately did not watch that game, I don't think Zach scored on him once, he is insane defensively.

He played great defense but I don’t think you can be phenomenal if you shot 1-18.
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 26,694

Post#86 » by Domejandro » Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:50 am

Worm Guts wrote:

He’d played great defense but I don’t think you can be phenomenal if you shot 1-18.

"Phenomenal" is likely an overstatement, but he was still substantially net-positive impact-wise, the amount of deflections and ball-denials he got last night were pretty special.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,678

Post#87 » by minimus » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:19 pm

Read on Twitter
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,881

Post#88 » by theGreatRC » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:44 pm

minimus wrote:
Read on Twitter

His team/help defense truly is elite. I remember watching him ever since Sixers fans came on our board 1-2 years ago saying he was better than Wiggs and I kept an eye on him and wasn't impressed at all with his offense, but remember always going "This guy's pretty nasty" whenever he was on defense.
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
life_saver
General Manager
And1: 5,743

Post#89 » by life_saver » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:09 pm

RoCo is 2nd in DRPM so far this season.

1.Marc Gasol: 5.03
2.Robert Covington: 4.1
3.Hassan Whiteside: 3.91
4.Rudy Gobert: 3.2
5.Mason Plumlee: 3.09
6.DeAndre Jordan: 3.07
7.Anthony Davis: 3
8.Marcin Gortat: 2.94
9.Paul Millsap: 2.85
10.Boban Marjanovic: 2.81

RoCo is the only player in above list who isn't a C/PF. He is also the only player who isn't a C/PF in top15 DRPM list.
Phila Tough
Head Coach
And1: 2,819

Post#90 » by Phila Tough » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:25 am

King Malta wrote:
Klomp wrote:
Simmons25 wrote:Damn the Cov you saw today was the Cov I am glad we got rid of and why he used to get booed by the crowd. 1 for 18 shooting and no off switch... happened a lot at the sixers and these shooting slumps sometimes lasted for games at time. He could be a great player on defense alone... if only he knew when enough was enough in these games where he is cold and has no conscience. Can't carry dudes like this in the playoffs as we found to our detriment.

Should he maybe shoot less when he's struggling? Perhaps. But I thought he had a very solid game last night. Say what you want about the shooting, but 6 rebounds, 3 blocks and 3 steals is exactly what we want from him. Also, Minnesota lacks 3-point shooters. If he doesn't put them up, hardly anyone else will. He needs to stay aggressive and keep shooting. It helps the whole team with its spacing.

I don't think I will ever boo Covington for poor shooting as long as he plays as hard as he did last night. Then again, I would never boo Santa Claus either or throw beer cans at opposing fans or anything else that the Philadelphia fan base has become known for.

Used to get offended by statements like this but then as you get older you realize it takes a real idiot to group a bunch of people that you don't know in one whole alike. Especially a rather large fan base such as Philly. Also Santa? Batteries? What is this 2002? (was even outdated then)
King Malta
Starter

Post#91 » by King Malta » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:31 am

Phila Tough wrote:
King Malta wrote:
Klomp wrote:Should he maybe shoot less when he's struggling? Perhaps. But I thought he had a very solid game last night. Say what you want about the shooting, but 6 rebounds, 3 blocks and 3 steals is exactly what we want from him. Also, Minnesota lacks 3-point shooters. If he doesn't put them up, hardly anyone else will. He needs to stay aggressive and keep shooting. It helps the whole team with its spacing.

Used to get offended by statements like this but then as you get older you realize it takes a real idiot to group a bunch of people that you don't know in one whole alike. Especially a rather large fan base such as Philly. Also Santa? Batteries? What is this 2002? (was even outdated then)

Glad that you're no longer offended enough by those statements to take the time to post a butthurt reply :lol:

Also, I hope you're enjoying scanning through these boards for posts of mine you disagree with from 12 months ago and taking the time to And1 them so I know you've read them.

Typical petty Sixers fan :lol:
Phila Tough
Head Coach
And1: 2,819

Post#92 » by Phila Tough » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:45 am

King Malta wrote:
Phila Tough wrote:
King Malta wrote:[/b]

Glad that you're no longer offended enough by those statements to take the time to post a butthurt reply :lol:

Also, I hope you're enjoying scanning through these boards for posts of mine you disagree with from 12 months ago and taking the time to And1 them so I know you've read them.

Great reply.
King Malta
Starter

Post#93 » by King Malta » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:47 am

Phila Tough wrote:
King Malta wrote:
Phila Tough wrote:

Great reply.

I thought so too.

Give it an and1, you seem to enjoy throwing those my way.
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,293

Post#94 » by Crazy-Canuck » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:29 am

MVP

Hes turned the worst defense in the league into one of the best.
Murphs56
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,236

Post#95 » by Murphs56 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:32 am

Stanford wrote:

Very happy to see you guys appreciating Rock.

Best player on the court tonight against the Cavs
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,881

Post#96 » by theGreatRC » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:34 am

I love this guy
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
life_saver
General Manager
And1: 5,743

Post#97 » by life_saver » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:05 am

RoCo for DPOY...dude is just insane on defense.
TheProdigy
Starter
And1: 1,015

Post#98 » by TheProdigy » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:08 am

RoCo has a better RPM than Butler so far this year. :lol:
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,583

Post#99 » by Klomp » Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:16 am

The nickname JimPete mentioned during tonight's game fits Rob.....like a glove 8-)

Read on Twitter
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
thinktank
Analyst
And1: 1,625

Post#100 » by thinktank » Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:45 am

Klomp wrote:The nickname JimPete mentioned during tonight's game fits Rob.....like a glove

I came up with that. Ask Moses.

8-)
What would you pay a guy putting up 18 and 11 in the playoffs?

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves