ImageImageImage

Kelly Oubre news and highlights

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

How has Oubre performed in regards to your expectations for him so far this season?

Exceeded my expectations
55%
About where I expected him to perform
41%
Subpar performance so far
5%

Total votes: 44

TASTIC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,329

Re: Welcome Kelly Oubre!! 

Post#21 » by TASTIC » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:00 pm

New NBA is all wings who can defend and shoot 3s.

He has a NICE looking stroke but percentages were lower than I thought they'd be. Still, last 6 games all off the bench he's averaged 17.7pts 4.5reb 1.3stl 0.8blk 1.8x3pt (41%) and 51/79 splits. 4 attempts at the line too, so he uses that athleticism.

He definitely passes the eye test as others have said, if we can retain him for a reasonable price (something like 3yrs $25m (probably cost MUCH more than that, ie 4yr $45m), then he could be a key rotation guy.

Won't surprise me at all if he's dealt for a protected 1st though. Pelicans could use him especially.

I just want to say again I am LOVING the influence of Crawford and can admit I was totally wrong about him. A real team first guy with a mentoring ability we haven't seen since Nash and Hill (and Dudley I guess).
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,798

Post#22 » by Saberestar » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:13 pm

In Phoenix, Oubre already knows fellow Kansas product Josh Jackson and star Devin Booker, the latter of whom was in his high school recruiting class. Booker went two picks ahead of Oubre in the 2015 NBA Draft.

Oubre expects to fit in well with a wing-heavy rotation that aims to use his length and athleticism to its advantage.

“Defense leads to offense. Just focus on that, just continue to keep that gameplan solid,” Oubre said. “I’m a confident individual but one thing I know I can control everyday is my effort and my energy. I will do that each and every night. My offense will follow. I’m not really worried about that because I know I can play.”

http://arizonasports.com/story/1776057/suns-kelly-oubre-wants-destroy-everyone/amp/?__twitter_impression=true
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,660

Post#23 » by WeekapaugGroove » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:32 pm

Saberestar wrote:
In Phoenix, Oubre already knows fellow Kansas product Josh Jackson and star Devin Booker, the latter of whom was in his high school recruiting class. Booker went two picks ahead of Oubre in the 2015 NBA Draft.

Oubre expects to fit in well with a wing-heavy rotation that aims to use his length and athleticism to its advantage.

“Defense leads to offense. Just focus on that, just continue to keep that gameplan solid,” Oubre said. “I’m a confident individual but one thing I know I can control everyday is my effort and my energy. I will do that each and every night. My offense will follow. I’m not really worried about that because I know I can play.”

http://arizonasports.com/story/1776057/suns-kelly-oubre-wants-destroy-everyone/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

He's saying all the right things so that's a good first step. Now actions mean way more than words so lets see it on the court. Really if he's smart he should come in guns blazing because this is an audition for a team that has the money to pay him and if they don't it's an audiition to 28 other teams (he ain't going back to Wash).
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
SwingMan1938
Junior
And1: 246

Post#24 » by SwingMan1938 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:11 pm

ImNotMcDiSwear wrote:
sunsfever68 wrote:I think there is minutes for everyone in the future especially since Troy Daniels, Jamal Crawford, and Ryan Anderson will be gone next year.

You can play Booker Bridges Warren Jackson Oubre at the 2-4 spots
Melton and Okobo at the 1

Ayton and Holmes at the 5

Are we sure Crawford's not returning next season?

Damn on the money - if Crawford decides to play next year (and however long beyond), he's more than earned a place here. Getting rid of the benign tumors that were Chandler and Ariza has put a (deserved) spotlight on Jamal's positive and infectious leadership and mentoring. This team *needs* him.
SwingMan1938
Junior
And1: 246

Post#25 » by SwingMan1938 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:25 pm

On a side note, for the awesome Wizards fans dropping by with a comprehensive profile on Kelly Oubre, I feel like I'm almost obligated to apologize, on behalf of Suns fans, for subjecting them to Markieff Morris. :lol:

IIRC though, this is the last year of his current deal, so you'll be rid of him in a few months, anyways.....
darealjuice
Suns Forum Future All Star
And1: 8,784

Post#26 » by darealjuice » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:23 am

bwgood77 wrote:
Kerrsed wrote:
stoo wrote:
You think it means he s stayin.. That was the deal with our front office and him prior to trade proabbly (or right after)

Yeah, i think he is staying. We got rid of our "Power Forward", and Warren has been playing great as our makeshift undersized stretch 4, so that creates opportunity at SF. Pretty much SG/SF/PF is position-less on our team. We have Warren/Bridges/Jackson and now Oubre that will be in the game playing anyone of those positions (Maybe notso much SG when Booker is in).

I think he might stay if we play well, but given we didn't ask for him initially I am guessing our plan isn't to keep him.

Weren't the Wizards getting Ariza and 2 second round picks for Rivers and Oubre in the original deal though? It's possible he wasn't going to us in the original trade because the Wizards were trying to get more than just Ariza for him.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,364

Post#27 » by bwgood77 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:38 am

darealjuice wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
Kerrsed wrote:
Yeah, i think he is staying. We got rid of our "Power Forward", and Warren has been playing great as our makeshift undersized stretch 4, so that creates opportunity at SF. Pretty much SG/SF/PF is position-less on our team. We have Warren/Bridges/Jackson and now Oubre that will be in the game playing anyone of those positions (Maybe notso much SG when Booker is in).

I think he might stay if we play well, but given we didn't ask for him initially I am guessing our plan isn't to keep him.

Weren't the Wizards getting Ariza and 2 second round picks for Rivers and Oubre in the original deal though? It's possible he wasn't going to us in the original trade because the Wizards were trying to get more than just Ariza for him.

Yes, but if we really wanted him it seems we would have been willing to throw in 2 second round picks ourselves. He may fit in well and may be reasonably priced if we want him but I don't know if we have any definitive plans to keep him already.
Blonde
Veteran
And1: 3,723

Post#28 » by Blonde » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:45 am

I said trade asset initially but now I think we’ll keep him throughout the season. I don’t see a scenario where we would keep both Oubre and Jackson however. Wouldn’t mind moving forward with Oubre if we can get a decent trade for Josh returning either a PG or PF.
darealjuice

Post#29 » by darealjuice » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:55 am

bwgood77 wrote:
darealjuice wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

Yes, but if we really wanted him it seems we would have been willing to throw in 2 second round picks ourselves. He may fit in well and may be reasonably priced if we want him but I don't know if we have any definitive plans to keep him already.

Maybe. I don't think we'd offer more just to do it though, especially when we thought we were getting a comparable player in Dillon Brooks, and our second round pick(s) are more valuable than a potential playoff team like Memphis. We only had to give up a mid-second round pick for Payton last year, so I wouldn't be surprised if we felt a high second round pick was too much for Oubre.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#30 » by bwgood77 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:02 am

darealjuice wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
darealjuice wrote:

Maybe. I don't think we'd offer more just to do it though, especially when we thought we were getting a comparable player in Dillon Brooks, and our second round pick(s) are more valuable than a potential playoff team like Memphis. We only had to give up a mid-second round pick for Payton last year, so I wouldn't be surprised if we felt a high second round pick was too much for Oubre.

Sure, I think they may have had them pretty equal and because of contracts wanted Brooks. I just was responding to Kerrsed who said he thought Oubre was staying, that I don't think anything is definitive. It's nice to have wing depth but we don't have much depth in other areas, so I think we will possibly play it out in RFA and see what happens, or may deal him if we get a really good offer. But he may be a great fit, give us more depth, etc. I don't really see him ever starting though and he may want to start somewhere. Though I'm not sure where he would start except for maybe the Hawks or 1 or 2 other teams.
darealjuice

Post#31 » by darealjuice » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:25 am

bwgood77 wrote:Sure, I think they may have had them pretty equal and because of contracts wanted Brooks. I just was responding to Kerrsed who said he thought Oubre was staying, that I don't think anything is definitive. It's nice to have wing depth but we don't have much depth in other areas, so I think we will possibly play it out in RFA and see what happens, or may deal him if we get a really good offer. But he may be a great fit, give us more depth, etc. I don't really see him ever starting though and he may want to start somewhere. Though I'm not sure where he would start except for maybe the Hawks or 1 or 2 other teams.

Oh I know, I'm just spit balling. I don't think him staying is guaranteed either, regardless of if we wanted him or not. He's basically getting a tryout like Elfrid Payton last year, except he has competition and isn't getting handed a starting spot.
Qwigglez
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 13,637

Post#32 » by Qwigglez » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:18 am

I think KO should make an easy transition to our team. Everyone is around the same age, and with Jackson and Bridges struggling to maintain consistency should give KO an easy opportunity to show his worth.

I'm still not sure why several of ya would prefer a protected pick or see him as a trade asset in that fashion. When you draft in the 2nd half of the 1st round you are hoping for a player like Oubre. I'm assuming he'll get a contract in the $10-$12M range and I think he could be well worth that.
Fo-Real
General Manager
And1: 4,911

Post#33 » by Fo-Real » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:18 pm

Blonde wrote:I said trade asset initially but now I think we’ll keep him throughout the season. I don’t see a scenario where we would keep both Oubre and Jackson however. Wouldn’t mind moving forward with Oubre if we can get a decent trade for Josh returning either a PG or PF.

Basically one small forward (Ariza) for another (Oubre), we already were operating with this mix. I dont see a reason why he and Josh cancel each other out so to speak. Now if you mean we can get a more useful player with one or the other as an asset then cool.
ImNotMcDiSwear
General Manager
And1: 6,087

Post#34 » by ImNotMcDiSwear » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:57 pm

Fo-Real wrote:
Blonde wrote:I said trade asset initially but now I think we’ll keep him throughout the season. I don’t see a scenario where we would keep both Oubre and Jackson however. Wouldn’t mind moving forward with Oubre if we can get a decent trade for Josh returning either a PG or PF.

Basically one small forward (Ariza) for another (Oubre), we already were operating with this mix. I dont see a reason why he and Josh cancel each other out so to speak. Now if you mean we can get a more useful player with one or the other as an asset then cool.

Some have said they didn't see Ariza dogging it. BS. I saw him quit on a ton of plays this year. Honestly, I'm not gonna put that on him too much. This was on Koko and McD picking the wrong guy. Koko's offense highlighted some of Trevor's weaknesses, and that combined with the losing got in Trevor's head. I think the FO saw what this board saw in TJ and Mikal being so much better than Trevor (and Ryan) that they wanted to bench him. Instead he occasionally stayed at home until we could move him.

Now we got a guy who can fill in for Trevor to a large extent, but who evidently is okay earning his minutes with effort, and starting off behind some other players in the rotation. He is also a LOT like Josh on paper and may push Josh to improve or push him out (which is perhaps why the delicate dance with Memphis? I've been petting that conspiracy theory notion with my tin-foil hat from time to time though I haven't mentioned it... the Rivers signing doesn't really hurt that thinking, does it?).

Finally, Oubre's RFA rights hold residual value after the season, so from a pure value standpoint I think it's pretty clear we won the deal. But in terms of what happens on the court - Oubre is just, like, younger, man!
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,660

Post#35 » by WeekapaugGroove » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:07 pm

It's going to be such a different make up of a team for Oubre from what he's been used to in Washington. They have traded away so many picks that for most of his 3 plus years in Washington he was one of the only young guys on the team. Now he goes to a team that has a couple guys his age a couple of old heads and mostly guys that are younger than him. Just a very different dynamic and I'm curious if he looks at it as a chance to be a little more of a leader than he ever could be in Washington.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
sunsfever68
Sixth Man
And1: 310

Post#36 » by sunsfever68 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:49 pm

Illmatic12 wrote:
Qwigglez wrote:

Kelly's high fg% at the rim is due to wide open dunks in transition and things of that nature, not because he's good on drives. His off-ball game is pretty solid in terms of making opportunistic cuts and knowing how to fill lanes, when Wall & Beal are on the court he could sneak around unnoticed and get himself easy baskets. The issue is any type of contested layup/dunk attempt.

He is a poor finisher on drives because 1) he hasn't developed his right hand at all and 2) he's a strictly 2-footed jumper and unable to explode off of 1 foot. Simply put, Oubre's lack of balance around the basket is the most frustrating thing about his game - athleticism without body control is nothing. You'll see that's what separates him from someone like say, TJ Warren who has a natural sense of balance and shooting touch.

Oubre is a very hyperactive player on the court, both in good and bad ways. He has unnaturally quick reflexes for a player his size and can make Kawhi-esque deflections due to his length and twitchy hands+feet. When he's sicc'ed on smaller opposing PGs he turns into an attack dog and can absolutely harrass them with length and quickness . Examples:

That does NOT mean he's a plus defender though - he loses focus off the ball and usually lets players drive by him in 1v1 situations (the only explanation I can think of is that he's self-conscious about getting into foul trouble). Unfortunately he realized, as Jabari Parker put it, they don't play guys to play defense and despite lip service in interviews he seems more interested in being a scorer in his contract year.

Despite his overall inconsistency KO will definitely have some big games every now and then where his threes are falling. His jumper is mechanically beautiful from the waist up but he often doesn't set his feet before shooting, which should be an easy fix if he can ever get it down.

KO was not an issue in the locker room and was well liked by his teammates. Wall and Beal particularly were sad to see him go bc they worked out in the summers and spent a lot of time off the court. Markieff loved him (Kansas Jayhawks fraternity), he even hung out with the G-League guys on our team. The issue is his lack of awareness ON the court about his game and understanding what he is good at, it has nothing to do with any locker room friction. Kelly aspires to be a flashy scorer and fashion modeling mogul , and I think the interest in growing his "brand" has sort of blurred the vision of how he should be playing. He has to embrace that young Ariza or Marcus Smart-type role instead of trying to be a Devin Booker or Jason Tatum in this league.

All told, I very much enjoyed Oubre's personality and general verve for life - I wish him the best and will continue checking in to follow his career. He's a hard-worker and will be well-liked around the Phoenix organization once people get to know him (assuming they don't trade him again). Also, if you attend Suns games expect to see a devoted fan section of teenage girls in Oubre jerseys and middle aged aunties screaming his name :lol:

Nice breakdown of KO, thx for the time invested.

Great point about good shot upper body wise, but doesn't set feet. DeAndre Ayton does that sometimes, so I get what u mean.

KO just has to come in here work hard, play good defense, fit in well and not try to take over games, play in the flow of the game.
Blonde
Veteran
And1: 3,723

Post#37 » by Blonde » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:44 pm

Fo-Real wrote:

Sure we were operating with this many SFs before, but we were never going to keep Ariza beyond this season. From an asset and money perspective we don’t want to invest in both long term when both are projected to fill similar roles off the bench. So, we should try to use one to address our weak areas.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#38 » by bwgood77 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:51 pm

Blonde wrote:
Fo-Real wrote:

Sure we were operating with this many SFs before, but we were never going to keep Ariza beyond this season. From an asset and money perspective we don’t want to invest in both long term when both are projected to fill similar roles off the bench. So, we should try to use one to address our weak areas.

Yeah, not sure if we need to spend $20+ million on two backup wings when we could probably use a real PF and a starting caliber PG (unless one of our rookies becomes good team starting caliber).
darealjuice

Post#39 » by darealjuice » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:22 pm

Read on Twitter
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,798

Post#40 » by Saberestar » Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:55 am

Read on Twitter