ImageImage

OT: DIY

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

Finn
Starter
And1: 2,254

Re: OT: DIY 

Post#201 » by Finn » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:36 pm

Depends on 3 important factors - [1] what's above (finished -vs- unfinished space), [2] which way your ceiling joists are running relative to the exterior wall you want to install the vent on, and [3] how accessible an electrical power supply is. If you have unfinished space above & you can run the vent in a joist bay, piece of cake. If not, the installation can get complicated real quick. Hope that helps. Good luck.
CountMe3Outs
Sophomore
And1: 219

Post#202 » by CountMe3Outs » Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:53 am

BMatt07 wrote:Does anyone have any experience with installing a bathroom exhaust fan in the ceiling? If so, how hard is it to do for someone with limited experience, lol.

Debating on trying to do it myself, but I'm leaning towards just paying someone to do it.

The house I purchased does not have one presently installed, for some odd reason.

The biggest issue will likely involve routing the fan exhaust (always vent a bath fan to the exterior).

You may want to outsource the job, if venting through a roof:
https://www.doityourself.com/stry/options-for-venting-a-bathroom-exhaust-fan

The electrical supply may be less hassle, but keep building code compliance in mind if ever considering "do it yourself" wiring.
Pachinko_
RealGM
And1: 23,684

Post#203 » by Pachinko_ » Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:56 am

Electrical fires inside walls are not fun at all man, get someone to do it for you
Jez2983
RealGM
And1: 7,879

Post#204 » by Jez2983 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:00 am

Pachinko_ wrote:Electrical fires inside walls are not fun at all man, get someone to do it for you

Electricity is not to be **** with. The other day a patient told me about a friend that was a sparky (electrician lol), cut what he thought was an internal wire under his house but was from the outside. He was killed.

I feel similarly about plumbing.
trwi7 wrote:Will be practicing my best Australian accent for tomorrow.

"Hey ya wankers. I graduated from Aranmore back in 2010 and lost me yearbook. Is there any way you didgeridoos can send anotha yearbook me way?"
Pachinko_
RealGM

Post#205 » by Pachinko_ » Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:08 am

Jez2983 wrote:
Pachinko_ wrote:Electrical fires inside walls are not fun at all man, get someone to do it for you

Electricity is not to be **** with. The other day a patient told me about a friend that was a sparky (electrician lol), cut what he thought was an internal wire under his house but was from the outside. He was killed.

Plumbing can get you in a tonne of trouble but at least usually you don't die from fkd plumbing LOL

Unless we're talking gas plumbing of course
Jez2983
RealGM

Post#206 » by Jez2983 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:38 am

Pachinko_ wrote:
Jez2983 wrote:

Plumbing can get you in a tonne of trouble but at least usually you don't die from fkd plumbing LOL

True that. But yes, lots of water + wood doesn't tend to end well.

"Hey ya wankers. I graduated from Aranmore back in 2010 and lost me yearbook. Is there any way you didgeridoos can send anotha yearbook me way?"
step3profit
Analyst
And1: 819

Post#207 » by step3profit » Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:19 pm

Pachinko_ wrote:
Jez2983 wrote:

I will admit to some morbid curiosity regarding discovering the most fatal single home water plumbing incident in history. I'm guessing it has to be with some kind of accidental power enema.
BMatt07
Starter
And1: 2,138

Post#208 » by BMatt07 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:21 pm

You've all convinced me to pay someone to do it for me, lol. Appreciate the input!
Pachinko_
RealGM

Post#209 » by Pachinko_ » Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:50 pm

Τhis was commissioned work for a boy as a gift for Xmas.

Generally I have zero interest in doing this kind of thing for others, but the mother asked really nicely... So that's what I did most of my free time the last week before Xmas, and I barely managed to deliver it for Xmas day.

This is the box, the Greek letter "φ" on the top lid is just the kid's initial.

I filled the inside with kamphor and huon pine shavings to keep the pieces from banging around but mostly because it smells great when you open the box :D

and there's the contents

pretty old school stuff :D

The hippo toy was not my idea, it's actually a traditional Scandinavian design that's been around since 1935. I never made one before and it was pretty hard to make one by hand going off just photos.

I designed the other 2 items to go as a set, but also to function individually for various purposes, eg the box can become a toy/lego/whatever box, the cart can be a pen/cigar/chocolate box, the hippo can be a pencil holder etc, so if something survives long term it might actually be worth keeping in the family.

Overall I'm proud of it and happy I did it, but damn it was a lot of work... glad it's all done LOL
jmart762
Pro Prospect
And1: 430

Post#210 » by jmart762 » Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:50 pm

Pachinko_ wrote:Τhis was commissioned work for a boy as a gift for Xmas.

Generally I have zero interest in doing this kind of thing for others, but the mother asked really nicely... So that's what I did most of my free time the last week before Xmas, and I barely managed to deliver it for Xmas day.

I filled the inside with kamphor and huon pine shavings to keep the pieces from banging around but mostly because it smells great when you open the box :D

and there's the contents

The hippo toy was not my idea, it's actually a traditional Scandinavian design that's been around since 1935. I never made one before and it was pretty hard to make one by hand going off just photos.

I designed the other 2 items to go as a set, but also to function individually for various purposes, eg the box can become a toy/lego/whatever box, the cart can be a pen/cigar/chocolate box, the hippo can be a pencil holder etc, so if something survives long term it might actually be worth keeping in the family.

Overall I'm proud of it and happy I did it, but damn it was a lot of work... glad it's all done LOL
Damn, that's inspiring! What Scandinavian designer is that?

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
HurricaneKid
General Manager
And1: 5,034

Post#211 » by HurricaneKid » Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:01 pm

BMatt07 wrote:Does anyone have any experience with installing a bathroom exhaust fan in the ceiling? If so, how hard is it to do for someone with limited experience, lol.

Debating on trying to do it myself, but I'm leaning towards just paying someone to do it.

The house I purchased does not have one presently installed, for some odd reason.
My buddy is an electrician and it took him an hour to put in my last one. So its not simple. Kind of depends on what you are doing. There are replacement fans that go right in existing boxes.

You might want to confirm there is suitable ventilation to put a fan in (exhaust). Its code but I'm a little shocked there isn't one in already.

Sent from my VS995 using RealGM mobile app
fishnc wrote:If I had a gun with two bullets and I was in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden, and LeBron, I would shoot LeBron twice.
stellation
RealGM
And1: 8,904

Post#212 » by stellation » Tue Dec 25, 2018 9:26 pm

Spoiler:

and there's the contents

That's really lovely work, dude. Great job- I'm sure φ will love it. :)
#FreeChuckDiesel
Pachinko_
RealGM

Post#213 » by Pachinko_ » Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:10 am

jmart762 wrote:Damn, that's inspiring! What Scandinavian designer is that?

Kay Bojesen I think
Ill-yasova
RealGM
And1: 2,552

Post#214 » by Ill-yasova » Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:13 am

Go on.....
Pachinko_
RealGM

Post#215 » by Pachinko_ » Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:17 am

LOL shut up :lol:
Jez2983
RealGM

Post#216 » by Jez2983 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:21 am

Pachinko_ wrote:LOL shut up :lol:

:lol:

jmart762
Pro Prospect
And1: 430

Post#217 » by jmart762 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:19 pm

Pachinko_ wrote:
jmart762 wrote:Damn, that's inspiring! What Scandinavian designer is that?

Kay Bojesen I think
Neat, that's what I suspected. I have one of her monkeys.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
BMatt07
Starter
And1: 2,138

Post#218 » by BMatt07 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:22 pm

HurricaneKid wrote:

My buddy is an electrician and it took him an hour to put in my last one. So its not simple. Kind of depends on what you are doing. There are replacement fans that go right in existing boxes.

You might want to confirm there is suitable ventilation to put a fan in (exhaust). Its code but I'm a little shocked there isn't one in already.

I was very shocked as well! The lady I bought the house from was an elderly lady with carpet in the bathrooms, so I guess I'm not overly surprised lol.
HurricaneKid
General Manager
And1: 5,034

Post#219 » by HurricaneKid » Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:48 pm

BMatt07 wrote:
HurricaneKid wrote:

I was very shocked as well! The lady I bought the house from was an elderly lady with carpet in the bathrooms, so I guess I'm not overly surprised lol.
The concern is that if they didn't put in a way to exhaust the fan that nothing you do will matter. They might have just removed the crappy fan and replaced it with a light in which case it should be there. Otherwise there might not be a way to ventilate the fan. And if you get an electrician there they are going to charge you. The fan is going to cost you. And it won't do anything.

fishnc wrote:If I had a gun with two bullets and I was in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden, and LeBron, I would shoot LeBron twice.
Finn
Starter
And1: 2,254

Post#220 » by Finn » Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:52 pm

I don't believe a licensed electrician will install a vent fan that is not vented properly to the outside of the building.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks