Patrick McCaw Agrees To Two-Year, $6M Deal With Cavaliers

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 291

Patrick McCaw Agrees To Two-Year, $6M Deal With Cavaliers 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:35 pm

Patrick McCaw has agreed to sign a two-year, $6 million offer sheet with the Cleveland Cavaliers.

McCaw has been holding out this season as a restricted free agent with the Golden State Warriors.

Via Shams Charania/The Athletic

ktzdaman
Ballboy
And1: 3

Re: Patrick McCaw Agrees To Two-Year, $6M Deal With Cavaliers 

Post#2 » by ktzdaman » Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:33 pm

The ultimate way to call Golden State’s “we will match anything” bluff is to say “I’m willing to go to Cleveland!”
DAWill1128
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,685

Post#3 » by DAWill1128 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:36 pm

Man, this is nice payback by the Cavs. McCaw could of really helped.
bqmuzik
Junior
And1: 62

Post#4 » by bqmuzik » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:22 pm

All that over 3M a season?
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,047

Post#5 » by The_Hater » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:20 pm

bqmuzik wrote:All that over 3M a season?

I know that most NBA players make a lot of money compared to the rest of us and we lose sight of the actual figures sometimes because it seems like monopoly money, but if Golden State offers you say a $1.7 million qualifying offer and you just signed a contract for $6 million, the extra money just set you up for life. And McCaw isn't exactly Steph Curry, that's a lot of money.

You'd probably leave your job for another for how much? An additional $25,000 per anum? Less?
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,726

Post#6 » by HotelVitale » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:28 pm

'All that' was just not playing professional basketball for 2.5 months, and he gets an extra $1.3m this year and $3m next for it. I'd love to do all that for that payout.
macNcheese3
RealGM
And1: 6,915

Post#7 » by macNcheese3 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:40 pm

Lol
jason bourne
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,602

Post#8 » by jason bourne » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:55 pm

What's puzzling and interesting sorta is I heard the whole contract is non-guaranteed. McCaw still loses his prorated money for the year, but can become an UFA if the Cavs cut him before Jan 7. It's a tryout deal for the Cavs. However, if the Warriors match, then it would be a huge lux tax hit of around $11 M.
“The most contrarian thing of all is not to oppose the crowd but to think for yourself.” Peter Thiel

ImageImage
GBPackers47
Starter
And1: 1,255

Post#9 » by GBPackers47 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:57 pm

HotelVitale wrote:

'All that' was just not playing professional basketball for 2.5 months, and he gets an extra $1.3m this year and $3m next for it. I'd love to do all that for that payout.

Cost of living in Cleveland is also just a tad bit less than the Bay area. Dude got 2 rings. Enjoy the extra money and playing time. No reason to hate on this.
likashing
Head Coach
And1: 1,959

Post#10 » by likashing » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:10 pm

The_Hater wrote:

I know that most NBA players make a lot of money compared to the rest of us and we lose sight of the actual figures sometimes because it seems like monopoly money, but if Golden State offers you say a $1.7 million qualifying offer and you just signed a contract for $6 million, the extra money just set you up for life. And McCaw isn't exactly Steph Curry, that's a lot of money.

You'd probably leave your job for another for how much? An additional $25,000 per anum? Less?

The Warriors offered him $5.2m/2 and he declined. McCaw is determined to go to Cleveland.
Mark Jackson wrote:Playoff preparation is overrated... I’m going to get my rest. I’m not going to grow old and be stressed out and get gray hair.
donemilio21
Veteran
And1: 763

Post#11 » by donemilio21 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:49 pm

he needs playing time right now. 10mpg at warriors won't do any good to you to get to a big money 4 year contract. if he does well with Cavs, he could get a much bigger contract in 2020.
NashtyNas
RealGM
And1: 1,887

Post#12 » by NashtyNas » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:51 pm

likashing wrote:
The_Hater wrote:

The Warriors offered him $5.2m/2 and he declined. McCaw is determined to go to Cleveland.

Because he can practically 2x his playing time and production in Cleveland and get 3x that contract 2 years from now.
He's essentially betting on himself, can you blame the man for that?

The underappreciated greats:

Some seek fame cause they need validation, some say hating is confused admiration - Nasty, nasty Nas
The_Hater

Post#13 » by The_Hater » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:04 pm

donemilio21 wrote:he needs playing time right now. 10mpg at warriors won't do any good to you to get to a big money 4 year contract. if he does well with Cavs, he could get a much bigger contract in 2020.

Unless the extra playing time exposes weaknesses and makes him look less intriguing.

I have a feeling he’s not very good myself.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
tigerae
Rookie
And1: 232

Post#14 » by tigerae » Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:47 am

The_Hater wrote:
donemilio21 wrote:he needs playing time right now. 10mpg at warriors won't do any good to you to get to a big money 4 year contract. if he does well with Cavs, he could get a much bigger contract in 2020.

Unless the extra playing time exposes weaknesses and makes him look less intriguing.

I have a feeling he’s not very good myself.
Maybe he is, maybe he isn't, but obviously the Warriors see something special in him since they has said numerous times that they will match any deal and to this day have said they want him back.

As a young player you want to get more minutes to show you belong. That's the same for most people, we all want promotions and more money.

Also, 6 million vs. 5.2 million means an extra 800 thousand which is quite a bit more money for most of us.

Sent from my SM-G935T using RealGM mobile app
cheese318
Sixth Man
And1: 227

Post#15 » by cheese318 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:17 pm

Agreed this is all for him to showcase his skills with a bad team and double his playing time minutes. We will see what happens. GSW might decide to match as I believe this is one of the weaker bench units and McCaw could improve that
Hoopzilla wrote:
Whether I was born or not when the Orlando Magic tried to form a Super Team means absolutely nothing to this conversation. One thing is pretty clear, you are the load your mother should have swallowed and moved on with her life... :nod:
GreatWhiteStiff
RealGM
And1: 12,405

Post#16 » by GreatWhiteStiff » Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:01 pm

likashing wrote:
The_Hater wrote:

Maybe he's determined not to sit the year after getting a decent offer. Maybe he wanted to play for the warriors but he felt he was being lowballed so he decided not to sign. Now he wants to play, and is getting a decent contract.

Let's playin for 9th!

"OG puts the clamps on point guards like Trae Young." -DelAbbot
The_Hater

Post#17 » by The_Hater » Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:16 pm

GreatWhiteStiff wrote:
likashing wrote:
The_Hater wrote:

Maybe he's determined not to sit the year after getting a decent offer. Maybe he wanted to play for the warriors but he felt he was being lowballed so he decided not to sign. Now he wants to play, and is getting a decent contract.

For all we know, his agent told him his market value was $15/3 or higher back in the summer so he felt insulted by the Warriors.

He’s lucky he got this offer mid season, there are countless examples of players turning down huge extensions only to find the marketplace had nothing close to that figure waiting for them. Noel was the best (worst?) example but JParker and KCP left a lot of money on the table too.
Masai is overrated.

April 14th, 2019.
gordoncatrell
Sixth Man
And1: 178

Post#18 » by gordoncatrell » Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:36 pm

GreatWhiteStiff wrote:
likashing wrote:
The_Hater wrote:

Recall Fisher behind Payton 2004?
The kid wants a chance to establish a career and contend for starter minutes to see if he can produce starter-results...and he has a 2 yr runway to do it...let him go..
Pickled Prunes
Head Coach
And1: 1,197

Post#19 » by Pickled Prunes » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:42 pm

cheese318 wrote:

Agreed this is all for him to showcase his skills with a bad team and double his playing time minutes. We will see what happens. GSW might decide to match as I believe this is one of the weaker bench units and McCaw could improve that

No one does well with these Cavs. But 16 minutes a night for the GSW will be better for his rep than 26 minutes with the Cavs. A third ring won't hurt either!

And yes, I would expect GSW to match... and since his deal is prorated this season he will be making less than GSW's best offer.

Foolishness!
hyberx
Starter
And1: 384

Post#20 » by hyberx » Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:40 am

Let him go. McKinnie is playing great and can take all of McCaw's time at SF and then some. We also have Jacob Evans in development, no need for McCaw anymore.

Return to Wiretap Discussion