ImageImageImageImageImage

Community Thread LXI: The President We Deserve

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb, Danny Darko

Landsberger
General Manager
And1: 1,969

Re: Community Thread LXI: The President We Deserve 

Post#1381 » by Landsberger » Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:33 pm

Kilroy wrote:Damn... How do you guys get drunk here in SoCal?... Good liquor is like 50-100% more expensive here than it was in Texas... Same bottles I used to buy regularly are like double... Is there a trick? Do the little mom/pop places have better deals?

The crap I can afford so far makes me question my existence...

I lived in SoCal in the mid to late 80's. Then off to Boston and DC.... at the time both places were a lot more expensive than SoCal. I longed to come back. Then, after nearly 30 years away I decided to get away from the East Coast and come back.... I had job offers in the Bay area and San Diego. At this point in my life these were pretty substantial offers however the cost of living is insane even compared to back East. If you actually "make" money in Cal these days you are separated from about 50% of it through taxation and that creeps into the cost of all goods and services.

Long story short..... I can get to my favorite places in SoCal in 4.5 hours living in the Phoenix area. I got a job for 90% of the offers in SoCal and the cost of living is about 50% less.... So.... I can afford the good stuff at Alberston's. Come on over and I'll pour you one. :lol: I can afford to share too....
dAdo dA dEvil
Sixth Man
And1: 476

Post#1382 » by dAdo dA dEvil » Tue Jan 1, 2019 1:09 am

Happy New Year everyone! Hope this will be a good one to all of us!
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,568

Post#1383 » by hermes » Tue Jan 1, 2019 4:20 pm

:party:
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,446

Post#1384 » by Slava » Sat Jan 5, 2019 9:43 am

I love traveling as much as the next dude but the dehydration and constipation after a long flight makes me think before booking the next trip.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
ardee
RealGM
And1: 5,235

Post#1385 » by ardee » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:26 pm

Kilroy wrote:Also... Womens' UFC... Cyborg/Nunes... Exciting and all that... But it was no Rousey/Tate...

The 'sexy' is officially gone.

Kinda makes you wonder where the whole thing is going... Now that the brutality of the sport has officially weeded out the weekend warrior/fitness model types, is it sustainably marketable? Who's watching now?

And it's a matter of time before a woman dies in the ring... Will the sport survive it?

Why would you say that?
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#1386 » by Kilroy » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:35 pm

ardee wrote:
Kilroy wrote:Also... Womens' UFC... Cyborg/Nunes... Exciting and all that... But it was no Rousey/Tate...

Kinda makes you wonder where the whole thing is going... Now that the brutality of the sport has officially weeded out the weekend warrior/fitness model types, is it sustainably marketable? Who's watching now?

And it's a matter of time before a woman dies in the ring... Will the sport survive it?

Why would you say that?

Because men have died relatively frequently in Boxing. There isn't a women's boxing on the level there's a women's UFC...

Women are not as physically strong as men in sports but a spinning back kick from a comparably sized male or female, generates equal force, because it's a inertia strike vs a strength strike...

And the top women in UFC are getting stronger and more skilled every day...

And even if you stripped that away... Take gender completely out of it... People die in combat sports...

So again, it's a matter of time before a woman maybe has an underlying issue, or gets caught by some weird strike, or someone falls weird in a choke hold... Hell, a girl a couple weeks ago damn near died during a weight cut...

All of which is why I say it's a matter of time... Honestly, it should be absolutely expected...

But that said, is this society really ready for female athletes to die as a relatively expected part of their sport, like the men?

It's an interesting sociology/social anthropology question...
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1387 » by Slava » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:40 pm

I was like wait a minute I watched a boxing match where a woman died and remembered immediately that was million dollar baby.
Wavy Q
RealGM
And1: 2,390

Post#1388 » by Wavy Q » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:32 pm

Kilroy wrote:
ardee wrote:

Why would you say that?

Because men have died relatively frequently in Boxing. There isn't a women's boxing on the level there's a women's UFC...

Women are not as physically strong as men in sports but a spinning back kick from a comparably sized male or female, generates equal force, because it's a inertia strike vs a strength strike...

And the top women in UFC are getting stronger and more skilled every day...

And even if you stripped that away... Take gender completely out of it... People die in combat sports...

So again, it's a matter of time before a woman maybe has an underlying issue, or gets caught by some weird strike, or someone falls weird in a choke hold... Hell, a girl a couple weeks ago damn near died during a weight cut...

All of which is why I say it's a matter of time... Honestly, it should be absolutely expected...

But that said, is this society really ready for female athletes to die as a relatively expected part of their sport, like the men?

It's an interesting sociology/social anthropology question...

For what its worth the 145 Womens division is probably done now that Cyborg lost. 145 was basically just Cyborg cleaning house for free and it was super boring. I'd bet Nunes goes back to 125 and 145 is dissolved.
tugs
RealGM
And1: 2,926

Post#1389 » by tugs » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:41 pm

I bet Rousey will be back to hurricanrana their asses
tugs
RealGM

Post#1390 » by tugs » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:44 pm

I love how our small town has a diverse cuisine and a variety of non-franchise stalls and restaurants. Lots of small pubs, roasted chicken and grilled pork, and 3rd wave coffeeshops
hermes
RealGM

Post#1391 » by hermes » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:20 pm

3rd wave?
tugs
RealGM

Post#1392 » by tugs » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:50 pm

hermes wrote:3rd wave?
"The third wave of coffee is a movement to produce high-quality coffee, and consider coffee as an artisanal foodstuff, like wine, rather than a commodity. "
hermes
RealGM

Post#1393 » by hermes » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:58 pm

:noway:

dang hippies
Mamba Mentality
RealGM
And1: 19,585

Post#1394 » by Mamba Mentality » Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:52 pm

Spoiler:
Sofa King
RealGM
And1: 3,034

Post#1395 » by Sofa King » Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:40 pm

Oh good. Everyone's still here
hermes
RealGM

Post#1396 » by hermes » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:08 am

:uhoh:
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1397 » by Slava » Mon Feb 4, 2019 10:01 am

Looks like LeBron drunk tweeting was the only thing I missed by preferring to sleep during the super bowl.
Mamba Mentality
RealGM
And1: 19,585

Post#1398 » by Mamba Mentality » Fri Feb 8, 2019 8:15 pm

Well damn....

Authorities seize record-setting 1.7 tons of meth worth $1.29 billion at Los Angeles port

A joint drug bust between Australian and U.S. authorities in mid-January resulted in a record 1.7 tons of methamphetamine being seized at Los Angeles/Long Beach seaport.

Customs and Border Protection announced the seizure of the three containers on Thursday, which were intended to be shipped to Australia before being searched on Jan. 11. The containers were filled with speakers "artfully" stuffed with the drugs.

In addition to the 3,810 pounds of meth, the shipment also contained 55.9 pounds of cocaine and 11.5 pounds of heroin. Australian officials said the total street value of the haul was $1.29 billion.

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/authorities-seize-record-setting-1-7-tons-meth-094603101--abc-news-topstories.html
hermes
RealGM

Post#1399 » by hermes » Sat Feb 9, 2019 1:50 am

$1 billion worth? holy cow that must have been some operation
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1400 » by Slava » Sat Feb 9, 2019 10:38 am

Heisenberg must be on cocaine to be making that much stuff.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers