Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Re: The Washington Nationals Thread 

Post#361 » by Ruzious » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:02 pm

Wizardspride wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=19

And the one thing I thought he lacked was great base-running ability. The kid is an absolute phenom.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,857

Post#362 » by Wizardspride » Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:22 pm

Pay him.

Read on Twitter
?s=19
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#363 » by Ruzious » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:53 pm

And if they do re-sign him, who do they trade? Eaton's the likely man out, and he's got 3 years left on his contract. They could get a decent starting pitcher for him but probably not any more than that - considering his injury problems and the fact that he's going to turn 30 in December.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,650

Post#364 » by 80sballboy » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:50 pm

Ruzious wrote:And if they do re-sign him, who do they trade? Eaton's the likely man out, and he's got 3 years left on his contract. They could get a decent starting pitcher for him but probably not any more than that - considering his injury problems and the fact that he's going to turn 30 in December.

I would just let him go. Try and sign a couple of starters, beef up the middle relief, sign or trade for a catcher.
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#365 » by Wizardspride » Tue Dec 4, 2018 9:50 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19

Read on Twitter
?s=19
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#366 » by Ruzious » Tue Dec 4, 2018 11:36 pm

Wizardspride wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=19

Read on Twitter
?s=19

Full disclosure - I'm a Braves fan. So does signing Corbin to a very large deal make it much more likely that Haper's gone?

Regardless, gotta be impressed with what the Nats have done. That's a real impressive big 3 in Scherzer, Strass, and Corbin.
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#367 » by Wizardspride » Wed Dec 5, 2018 11:08 am

Ruzious wrote:
Wizardspride wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=19

Read on Twitter
?s=19

Full disclosure - I'm a Braves fan. So does signing Corbin to a very large deal make it much more likely that Haper's gone?

Regardless, gotta be impressed with what the Nats have done. That's a real impressive big 3 in Scherzer, Strass, and Corbin.

No. Corbin's contract shouldn't factor into signing Harper.
80sballboy
RealGM

Post#368 » by 80sballboy » Wed Dec 5, 2018 2:21 pm

I think Harper is gone. They will have to increase the offer tremendously. If they lose Harper but add a second baseman and trade Eaton to get another OF, they’ll have had a good offseason.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#369 » by Ruzious » Wed Dec 5, 2018 3:45 pm

80sballboy wrote:I think Harper is gone. They will have to increase the offer tremendously. If they lose Harper but add a second baseman and trade Eaton to get another OF, they’ll have had a good offseason.

Why trade Eaton to get another OFer? He's a very good all-around player with 3 reasonable years left on his contract. If Harper leaves, I'd think it would be important to keep Eaton.
80sballboy
RealGM

Post#370 » by 80sballboy » Wed Dec 5, 2018 10:44 pm

Ruzious wrote:
80sballboy wrote:I think Harper is gone. They will have to increase the offer tremendously. If they lose Harper but add a second baseman and trade Eaton to get another OF, they’ll have had a good offseason.

Why trade Eaton to get another OFer? He WAS a very good all-around player with 3 reasonable years left on his contract. If Harper leaves, I'd think it would be important to keep Eaton.

Fixed it for you. You probably can't get more than a prospect for him. Has had 470 at-bats the last two seasons. He can't move like he used to due to the injuries and he can't play center field. It's great that he can hit singles and get on base but he doesn't steal. I also would rather have more power in the corner outfield position. You replace Harper with every day Eaton and you lose about 30 home runs. Robles in center and Soto in left. Would like more power in right.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#371 » by Ruzious » Thu Dec 6, 2018 12:04 am

80sballboy wrote:
Ruzious wrote:

Why trade Eaton to get another OFer? He WAS a very good all-around player with 3 reasonable years left on his contract. If Harper leaves, I'd think it would be important to keep Eaton.

Fixed it for you. You probably can't get more than a prospect for him. Has had 470 at-bats the last two seasons. He can't move like he used to due to the injuries and he can't play center field. It's great that he can hit singles and get on base but he doesn't steal. I also would rather have more power in the corner outfield position. You replace Harper with every day Eaton and you lose about 30 home runs. Robles in center and Soto in left. Would like more power in right.

Yes, he's gotta stay healthy, but he's had his 2 highest OPS seasons with the Nats - .854 and .805, and while he's really NEVER... been a good CFer, he's STILL clearly above average defensively as a corner OFer. I didn't watch more than a third of the Nats games, and even I saw him making spectacular diving catches in RF towards the end of the season. As long as he stays healthy, he's essentially the same player he was when the Nats acquired him. Yeah, he's not a big power guy - and he NEVER was. If they're going to compete with kid OFers in LF and CF, it makes a lot of sense to go with a veteran leader who can play as well as Eaton - and Eaton was definitely a mentor for Soto last season.

Btw, don't change my quotes - I'm not cool with that.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#372 » by Ruzious » Fri Dec 7, 2018 10:16 pm

Looks like Harper is moving on. From mlbtraderumors.com;

Obviously, Harper and agent Scott Boras passed on the offer in favor of free agency. In the two and a half months since that offer was said to be put forth, the Nationals have added starter Patrick Corbin, catchers Kurt Suzuki and Yan Gomes, and relievers Trevor Rosenthal and Kyle Barraclough. Corbin was promised $140MM over a six-year term. Suzuki signed for two years and a total of $10MM, while Gomes is owed $9MM in 2019 and can earn as much as $27MM over the next three seasons by virtue of a pair of club options. Rosenthal received a $7MM guarantee, and Barraclough projects to earn $1.9MM next year.

While Nats president of baseball operations Mike Rizzo reiterated earlier that the club sees its negotiations with Harper as “independent” of the high-dollar signing of Corbin, as MLB.com’s Jamal Collier tweets, Lerner suggested some connectivity. In light of the team’s new commitments, he said, it “may very well be” that the $300MM offer to Harper is now off the table even in the event that he and Boras have a change of heart and wish to accept those terms.

Ultimately, Lerner dumped a big bucket of cold water on the notion of a reunion. “I really don’t expect him to come back at this point,” he stated. “I think they’ve decided to move on. There’s just too much money out there that he’d be leaving on the table. That’s just not Mr. Boras’ MO to leave money on the table.”
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,458

Post#373 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Sat Dec 8, 2018 2:20 am

He gone
In Rizzo we trust
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#374 » by Wizardspride » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:23 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#375 » by Wizardspride » Thu Jan 3, 2019 3:15 am

Read on Twitter
?s=19
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,961

Post#376 » by FAH1223 » Thu Jan 3, 2019 3:55 am

Wizardspride wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=19

BOras just trying to drive up the price for Bryce :wink:

White Sox and Phillies clearly ain’t overwhelming em it sounds like. :lol:
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#377 » by Wizardspride » Thu Jan 3, 2019 11:30 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19
trast66
Rookie
And1: 611

Post#378 » by trast66 » Thu Jan 3, 2019 11:57 pm

Sounds like 93 year old Ted Lerner still in charge, and Mark Lerner reseated at the children’s table.
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#379 » by Wizardspride » Sat Jan 5, 2019 1:49 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19

Read on Twitter
?s=19

Read on Twitter
?s=19
Dark Faze
Head Coach
And1: 2,006

Post#380 » by Dark Faze » Sun Jan 6, 2019 1:44 am

i wouldn't go over 300 million, transition that money from Bryce to others, along with our young outfield and we can win some games

starting to cut guys because of Bryce's contract when we couldn't win with him on a cheap deal would be a mistake

Return to Washington Wizards