76ers Still Hope To Re-Sign Jimmy Butler

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 291

76ers Still Hope To Re-Sign Jimmy Butler 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:31 pm

The Philadelphia 76ers still hope to re-sign Jimmy Butler this offseason.

The 76ers knew they were acquiring a player who can be mercurial when they traded Robert Covington and Dario Saric to Minnesota for Butler.

Sources say Butler also spoke out during a film session only after an assistant coach nudged T.J. McConnell to speak about his concerns. Butler mentioned McConnell's role as well as his own.

Via Zach Lowe/ESPN

Rek
Senior
And1: 128

Re: 76ers Still Hope To Re-Sign Jimmy Butler 

Post#2 » by Rek » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:32 pm

Dueling media leaks. Ready. Go!
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,047

Post#3 » by The_Hater » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:36 pm

If Philly now wanted to let Butler walk just 6 weeks after they traded 2 quality starters to get him, what a complete and utter disaster that would be. They need to do everything possible to keep him.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Quattro
Assistant Coach
And1: 7,705

Post#4 » by Quattro » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:23 pm

Can't wait to see how this ends when Philly gets bounced in the playoffs. Barring further moves or injuries to key players, I don't see how they beat any of the Raptors, Bucks or Celtics in a 7 game series. I'm sure Jimmy will take that well.
texasholdem
Lead Assistant
And1: 404

Post#5 » by texasholdem » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:39 pm

Butler for cp3 please. Both are trade eligible next week.
Harden is still a work-in-progress. He can score, but he can't help his teammate that much - Yao Ming
GeorgeMarcus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,045

Post#6 » by GeorgeMarcus » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:45 pm

Lol no **** they do. Would be a failure of epic proportion if they didn’t.
The Legend of George Marcus

"Where I'm from, bullies get bullied." - Zach Randolph
mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,310

Post#7 » by mplsfonz23 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:49 pm

Does Brown agree?
mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach

Post#8 » by mplsfonz23 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:56 pm

The_Hater wrote:If Philly now wanted to let Butler walk just 6 weeks after they traded 2 quality starters to get him, what a complete and utter disaster that would be. They need to do everything possible to keep him.

Yeah, but Jimmy want the max deal. Would you pay $190 over 5 years to a 30 year old Jimmy.
It's not as if he has 5 prime years left.
The_Hater

Post#9 » by The_Hater » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:01 pm

mplsfonz23 wrote:
The_Hater wrote:If Philly now wanted to let Butler walk just 6 weeks after they traded 2 quality starters to get him, what a complete and utter disaster that would be. They need to do everything possible to keep him.

Yeah, but Jimmy want the max deal. Would you pay $190 over 5 years to a 30 year old Jimmy.

I’d they weren’t willing to pay that much then they never, ever should have traded for him. The two players they dealt were both on undervalued, team controlled contracts.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach

Post#10 » by mplsfonz23 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:11 pm

The_Hater wrote:
mplsfonz23 wrote:

I’d they weren’t willing to pay that much then they never, ever should have traded for him. The two players they dealt were both on undervalued, team controlled contracts.

Maybe they chanced their mind. I agree, the two players we got were great deals, considering the position JB put us in.
Just saying, maybe they think the can resign JB for less than the max. That will be interesting.
The_Hater

Post#11 » by The_Hater » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:20 pm

mplsfonz23 wrote:
The_Hater wrote:
mplsfonz23 wrote:

Maybe they chanced their mind. I agree, the two players we got were great deals, considering the position JB put us in.
Just saying, maybe they think the can resign JB for less than the max. That will be interesting.

If they’ve changed their minds about that after 6 weeks then the entire front office should be fired this summer. Cleaned out. I’m not joking. Paying Butler was a decision that needed to be decided in stone before you traded two good young players away, and I’m sure that was the what they did.

And if Butler hadn’t acted like such a child in Minnesota and was still in a Wolves uniform, they would also be doing everything under their power to re-sign him next summer. There just aren’t a lot of players of his caliber walking around.
Masai is overrated.

April 14th, 2019.
Ballerhogger
RealGM
And1: 16,798

Post#12 » by Ballerhogger » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:34 pm

If it’s McConnell or Butler . Butler is staying
mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach

Post#13 » by mplsfonz23 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:36 pm

The_Hater wrote:
mplsfonz23 wrote:
The_Hater wrote:

If they’ve changed their minds about that after 6 weeks then the entire front office should be fired this summer. Cleaned out. I’m not joking. Paying Butler was a decision that needed to be decided in stone before you traded two good young players away, and I’m sure that was the what they did.

And if Butler hadn’t acted like such a child in Minnesota and was still in a Wolves uniform, they would also be doing everything under their power to re-sign him next summer. There just aren’t a lot of players of his caliber walking around.

I agree.
Sounds good in theory.
RoundMound
Sophomore
And1: 56

Post#14 » by RoundMound » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:14 pm

The Sixers now have a few real NBA players, it’s time to get a real NBA coach. If they lose Butler because Brown can’t figure it all out and keep Brown, I’m done with the 76ers.
TheBoi10
General Manager
And1: 11,891

Post#15 » by TheBoi10 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:07 pm

Imagine if the Sixers drafted Tatum instead of Fultz.

They wouldn't have needed to do that Butler trade. Simmons/Redick/Tatum/Covington/Embiid wtih Saric off the bench would be better than what they have now.
IAMZOOTED2
Analyst
And1: 2,414

Post#16 » by IAMZOOTED2 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:37 pm

Brother armchair GMs,

The Sixers FO absolutely mad early the right call trading 2 great role players for one superstar, regardless of whether that superstar can be a bear poker. That's a deal you do 10 times of out ten, even if said superstar walks at the end of the season. The Process was (and still is) about acquiring talent and putting themselves in the best position to compete for and win championships. Jimmy Butler is a superstar with the talent to help them achieve that goal. The danger of Jimmy being disgruntled or unhappy was always a possibility, but it was a known risk.. everybody knew about Jimmys baggage.

That said, it shouldn't be hard to give jimmy more p&r plays or touches o the block or where ever he wants to operate... just give thing some a little more time. The Lowe report Andy previous leak told us nothing... because this story is nothing!
A single sharp pepper is better than a basketful of gourds.
IAMZOOTED2
Analyst
And1: 2,414

Post#17 » by IAMZOOTED2 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:31 pm

The_Hater wrote:
mplsfonz23 wrote:

The report says nothing about the Sixers not wishing to resign Jimmy. In fact, based on their trades it seems like they plan to do the deal. Also, trading two role players for a superstar is a reasnoable approach. Saric has not had much impact in Minny and Roco has been slightly worse, too
A single sharp pepper is better than a basketful of gourds.
LOBoom1
Ballboy
And1: 2

Post#18 » by LOBoom1 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:32 am

I wouldn't feel pressured to re sign him. Even though they made a PREMATURE and STUPID decision to trade for him. I'd let him walk, save cap space and bite the bullet. Build around Simmons, Embiid and cap space. Dude is a BAD fit. Philly have really turned the GREAT position Hinkie put them into something subpar
BigTex
Senior
And1: 79

Post#19 » by BigTex » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:16 am

texasholdem wrote:Butler for cp3 please. Both are trade eligible next week.

Horrible trade for the 76ers. CP3 is going to have one if the worst contracts in the league in short order. If Butler walks, Philly took a chance and he left. No big deal. But if they get saddled with the out years of a bad, big contract, the damage is long term. And frankly, I’m not that impressed with Butler. His style of play isn’t a good fit for where the game is, and is heading. And he shows no sights of wanting to adapt.

LOBoom1 wrote:I wouldn't feel pressured to re sign him. Even though they made a PREMATURE and STUPID decision to trade for him. I'd let him walk, save cap space and bite the bullet. Build around Simmons, Embiid and cap space. Dude is a BAD fit. Philly have really turned the GREAT position Hinkie put them into something subpar

Spot on. I agree 100%. Regarding signing him, you point is what I call The First Rule of Holes. The first rule when you find yourself in a hole is, “QUIT DIGGING.” It was a marginal decision to trade for him at the price they did. But it only compounds that mistake to go out of your way to sign a player who is a bad fit and has a bad attitude to a max or near max contract. QUIT DIGGING!!
Vegeta10176
Sixth Man
And1: 243

Post#20 » by Vegeta10176 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:27 am

BigTex wrote:
texasholdem wrote:Butler for cp3 please. Both are trade eligible next week.

Horrible trade for the 76ers. CP3 is going to have one if the worst contracts in the league in short order. If Butler walks, Philly took a chance and he left. No big deal. But if they get saddled with the out years of a bad, big contract, the damage is long term. And frankly, I’m not that impressed with Butler. His style of play isn’t a good fit for where the game is, and is heading. And he shows no sights of wanting to adapt.

LOBoom1 wrote:I wouldn't feel pressured to re sign him. Even though they made a PREMATURE and STUPID decision to trade for him. I'd let him walk, save cap space and bite the bullet. Build around Simmons, Embiid and cap space. Dude is a BAD fit. Philly have really turned the GREAT position Hinkie put them into something subpar

Spot on. I agree 100%. Regarding signing him, you point is what I call The First Rule of Holes. The first rule when you find yourself in a hole is, “QUIT DIGGING.” It was a marginal decision to trade for him at the price they did. But it only compounds that mistake to go out of your way to sign a player who is a bad fit and has a bad attitude to a max or near max contract. QUIT DIGGING!!

The trade was ok they lost Covington who was on a good contract but no biggy and Saric is in his last year anyway so would have been looking for decent pay which he would get somewhere but 76ers would be crazy to match.. They really are missing Beleni and Iglosova however you spell their names they should try and trade for Beal.. There biggest mistake was that dumb arse Fultz trade to get the number 1 pick which screwed them for assets this coming year that said the Miami 2021 pick could be juicy..

Return to Wiretap Discussion