Warriors Prefer Sustainable Success Over Amorphous Dynasty Label

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 291

Warriors Prefer Sustainable Success Over Amorphous Dynasty Label 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:17 pm

When players on the Golden State Warriors are asked about how long they expect their dynasty to last, they say they haven't thought about it.

“Not really,” Klay Thompson said when questioned. “We all believe in the power of now. I think if you think ahead, you distract yourself from the goals at hand.”

Thompson and Kevin Durant will be free agents this offseason while Draymond Green will be a free agent in 2020.

The expectation within and outside the Warriors is that Thompson will re-sign. The Los Angeles Lakers appear to be only team who believes they have a realistic chance of signing Thompson.

Anything less than a championship and people are going to say the dynasty’s over,” said Steve Kerr when asked if he wonders this will be the last year of their dynasty.

Kerr prefers looking at the Spurs' model for sustainable success, which he says is also the ambition of Bob Myers and Joe Lacob.

That’s Bob’s goal. That’s Joe’s goal. And if you think in the NBA, for 20 straight years you’re going to be a championship contender, I don’t know. I don’t think there’s ever been, even the Spurs, they haven’t been a championship contender every year,” Kerr said. “I’m pretty sure we’re not going to win 17 of the next 20 championships.” 

Via Ethan Strauss/The Athletic

njknicks
Pro Prospect
And1: 112

Re: Warriors Prefer Sustainable Success Over Amorphous Dynasty Label 

Post#2 » by njknicks » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:03 pm

Interesting to see how the reality of financial commitments are setting in for the Warriors ownership.

* New multi-billion dollar arena
* Renewed contracts for for their core stars : Curry, Thompson, Green potentially, KD potentially
* Role players opting out of re-signing (i.e. Patrick McCaw)

Initially, Joe Lacob boasted about being light years ahead of everyone, to now have members of the organization saying Spurs are the model for sustainable success. My how times have changed.

Warriors have had a tremendous run, but all good things must come to an end. The statistics and odds are stacked up against them this year for a 3peat - locker room combustion followed by unkown free agency has the franchise clamoring.

Interestingly enough, the Warriors could do the unthinkable - trade Kevin Durant / Draymond for a package including Anthony Davis?

Until then, lets enjoy this run while it lasts.
gh123
Sixth Man
And1: 1,197

Post#3 » by gh123 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:35 pm

So they are pretty much ready that either one or both of KD and Klay leaving.
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager
And1: 5,016

Post#4 » by GQ Hot Dog » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:56 pm

njknicks wrote:Interesting to see how the reality of financial commitments are setting in for the Warriors ownership.

* Renewed contracts for for their core stars : Curry, Thompson, Green potentially, KD potentially

Initially, Joe Lacob boasted about being light years ahead of everyone, to now have members of the organization saying Spurs are the model for sustainable success. My how times have changed.

Warriors have had a tremendous run, but all good things must come to an end. The statistics and odds are stacked up against them this year for a 3peat - locker room combustion followed by unkown free agency has the franchise clamoring.

Interestingly enough, the Warriors could do the unthinkable - trade Kevin Durant / Draymond for a package including Anthony Davis?

Thanks for the lovely epitaph. Could be a little premature?
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
alienpick
Starter
And1: 614

Post#5 » by alienpick » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:08 pm

gh123 wrote:So they are pretty much ready that either one or both of KD and Klay leaving.

Klay ain’t leaving, unless they have no money to pay him.
Spud2nique
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Post#6 » by Spud2nique » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:33 pm

Anyone else sensing Kerr panic? :lol: Sustained success..HA! You done son.
Spud2nique
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Post#7 » by Spud2nique » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:33 pm

The partyyyyyyyyy’s oooovvvverrrr for whiney Kerr and the Kawhi hunting Warriors. Cheaters *
sean1913
Sophomore
And1: 39

Post#8 » by sean1913 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:53 pm

what part of what he says makes anyone think they're not the clear faves to win it all? he said they can't win 17 of the next 20 for example and you can't be a champion contended for 20yrs straight but that's the goal..sustained success.
ya'll are lookin for somethin cuz your PHI, Bos, whoever haven't even got the path to get to them...we'll see in the playoffs right?
all the talent in the world and no heart equals nada
njknicks
Pro Prospect
And1: 112

Post#9 » by njknicks » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:26 pm

thinkingwarriors wrote:
njknicks wrote:Interesting to see how the reality of financial commitments are setting in for the Warriors ownership.

Thanks for the lovely epitaph. Could be a little premature?

No epitaph - enjoying the run while it lasts - just think that they maybe at the current height of their success given the 1 year deal for Cousins, uncertainty surrounding Durant and inability to retain retain their bench in McCaw. That coupled with impending free agency monster deals for Green / Thompson - its going to be interesting to see how they maneuver or retool.
Vegeta10176
Sixth Man
And1: 243

Post#10 » by Vegeta10176 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:45 pm

Why end your post with a stupid trade idea KD ans Draymond for AD... KD will be a free agent and not resign in NO so why in hell would NO do that.. why such stupid trade scenarios...
azwfan
RealGM
And1: 3,742

Post#11 » by azwfan » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:46 am

Except Kerr said that when he was introduced as head coach over 4 years ago. Nice try though.
LF75 wrote: It was a dumb idea..And yes I'm a dick.
Cookin Baskets
Sixth Man
And1: 265

Post#12 » by Cookin Baskets » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:36 am

All these stupid comments about the warriors panicking. They are going to be fine wow they are not the number 1 seed as back 2 back champs, so What?! Everyone forgetting that they have a superstar center in Cousins thats coming back this month.
I don't think I Trust The Process anymore! :banghead:
We are the originals! We are the Philadelphia 76ers!

Return to Wiretap Discussion