ImageImage

OT: Cutting the Cord 2.0 - ESPN/Fox/Warner Launching Combined Sports Streamer

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

ackypoo
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,355

Re: OT: Cutting the Cord 2.0 The Tutorial 

Post#561 » by ackypoo » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:44 pm

finally set up a pc running plex. i remote into it with my chromebook and download stuff. its continually connected through luxembourg. runs to every tv in my house w/ a roku or the samsung smart tv. plex is insanely easy. 9/10.
TroyD92
RealGM
And1: 10,593

Post#562 » by TroyD92 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:47 pm

BuckHole wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:
BuckHole wrote:Mr. Sober,
Can you repost the item on Spectrum speed? I can't locate it. I appreciate it.

I called about upgrading my speed to 100 mb, turns out the minimum is 200 mb down now. This is super helpful since I cut the cord, got a VPN and started torrenting the hell out of everything in the last week.

Thank you for bringing this up. After reading your post, I chatted with reps to verify what speed i'm paying for. It appears Spectrum upgraded to 200mbps. I ran speed tests showing under 100mbps. Rep stated I now have 200mbps. I reverified speed at under 100mbps. 3 reps troubleshot the modem and router; getting disconnected from them all of course so having to start over with a new rep each time. In the end, my router isn't able to handle the 200mbps speed and Spectrum is shipping me a new one that may arrive in a week or so.
This is what others should expect.
Thanks, Mr Sober.

You should just upgrade the router on your own. The cable company one's almost always suck and cost more than they are worth.
VooDoo7 wrote:
JEIS wrote:

Kidd would have curb stomped him.

Maybe if his name was Denise instead of Dennis.

Fotis St wrote:Wherever you are David, I love you man.
Treebeard
Head Coach
And1: 1,746

Post#563 » by Treebeard » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:01 pm

Anybody accessed Fox Sports Wisconsin via Hulu? If yes, what do you think?
0BobLobLaw0
Starter
And1: 2,018

Post#564 » by 0BobLobLaw0 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:24 am

Anyone have mikwaukee pc for internet service? My contract is almost up with uverse and I'm getting tired of playing the yearly switching/negotiating.

Seems like they are just one price, no contract.
Why should you go to jail for a crime someone else noticed? You don't need double talk... You need Bob Loblaw.
Sauce Boss
Assistant Coach
And1: 851

Post#565 » by Sauce Boss » Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:41 pm

Treebeard wrote:Anybody accessed Fox Sports Wisconsin via Hulu? If yes, what do you think?

Is that possible?

I randomly dropped in here to say I don't have cable and don't feel like paying ~$50+ a month for it or an option like Playstation Vue to simply watch Bucks games. League Pass has blackouts for local games, which defeats the entire appeal. I don't need a cable replacement, I just need Bucks games a la carte, essentially.
Stephen Jackson wrote:"I got a video off the French Montana beat that I shot in the condo. The condo was laid, man. I had a gate with a key...Yeah, Milwaukee is a nice place but the team sucked."
BMatt07
Starter
And1: 2,138

Post#566 » by BMatt07 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:09 pm

0BobLobLaw0 wrote:Anyone have mikwaukee pc for internet service? My contract is almost up with uverse and I'm getting tired of playing the yearly switching/negotiating.

Seems like they are just one price, no contract.

I have Spectrum and I really like it.

They upped the speed in my neighborhood, so it's 200 mbps baseline. Anytime I run a speed-test, I get around 230 mbps however, which I won't complain about.
Ill-yasova
RealGM
And1: 2,552

Post#567 » by Ill-yasova » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:39 pm

So I was having issues with the picture during the Packers game in the first half. I called up Dish, got disconnected twice, and was told that a service call would have to be made to figure out what the issue was. I was fine with that until the rep offered me a monthly paid service plan so I wouldn’t have to pay for service calls in the future...

Turns out she was going to dispatch a service tech at the cost of $95 to my home without informing me of the charge ahead of time.I told her that I pay $22 dollars a month for the direct cost of renting just the equipment in my home so when it stops working that’s not my responsibility. She offered to just send me a new Joey at the low cost of $15 instead.

Long story short, my service cancels next Monday and I’m currently watching the Pack, in flawless quality, on YouTube TV. 30 day free trial and I’ll save roughly $40 a month after the trial vs Dish. Peace out bitches.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,229

Post#568 » by MickeyDavis » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:31 am

Agree, charging for a service call when it's THEIR equipment is b.s.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
Shoot it FatBoy
Sophomore
And1: 4

Post#569 » by Shoot it FatBoy » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:51 pm

Can anybody confirm if local channels (Fox/NBC) are stream-able through Sling Blue package? I live in Waukesha and am looking to ditch Spectrum cable. Not sure which direction to go though. Sling is offering a $50 Roku Ultra (which I will need on one of my TV's) if you pre-pay 3 months. Otherwise, is YouTube TV worth the extra $10 a month? Thanks in advance.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,961

Post#570 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:38 pm

I don't know anything about Sling or youtubeTV, but I've had Hulu Live for a week and I love it.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#571 » by MickeyDavis » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:17 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:I don't know anything about Sling or youtubeTV, but I've had Hulu Live for a week and I love it.

Cloud DVR?
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,961

Post#572 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:17 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:I don't know anything about Sling or youtubeTV, but I've had Hulu Live for a week and I love it.

Cloud DVR?

50 hours, upgradeable to 200.

To me it was the easy choice because Hulu is what my girl and I watch most consistently. I was already paying $14 or so for the no commercials plan, so taking on some more cash to get Live TV was a no brainer.
Shoot it FatBoy
Sophomore

Post#573 » by Shoot it FatBoy » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:37 pm

I actually found a deal on Amazon to get 1 month of YouTube TV free with purchase of Roku Ultra $85. I might go that route instead of the pre-pay 3 months of Sling and get one for $50.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#574 » by MickeyDavis » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:45 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
MickeyDavis wrote:

Cloud DVR?

50 hours, upgradeable to 200.

To me it was the easy choice because Hulu is what my girl and I watch most consistently. I was already paying $14 or so for the no commercials plan, so taking on some more cash to get Live TV was a no brainer.

Cool. Sports is all I watch live. Everything else I record. I want all local channels, FSWI, BTN, ESPN, NFLN and Red Zone. The rest is gravy
BuckHole
Veteran
And1: 1,004

Post#575 » by BuckHole » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:49 pm

ackypoo wrote:finally set up a pc running plex. i remote into it with my chromebook and download stuff. its continually connected through luxembourg. runs to every tv in my house w/ a roku or the samsung smart tv. plex is insanely easy. 9/10.

It stinks that Plex dropped the plug-in/channel feature from their Roku app. Unable to now view my special service.
Plex is nice for having your library of movies, music, etc available everywhere. Also the sharing is neat if you can convince someone with a massive movie/tv library to share. The plug-in loss is a bummer.
I admit to being a terrible judge of talent and having minimal knowledge of the game of basketball.
AKA Da Thread Killa
bhchrist
Sophomore
And1: 97

Post#576 » by bhchrist » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:15 pm

Shoot it FatBoy wrote:I actually found a deal on Amazon to get 1 month of YouTube TV free with purchase of Roku Ultra $85. I might go that route instead of the pre-pay 3 months of Sling and get one for $50.

Have absolutely loved YouTube TV since I got it last March. Zero regrets at all. The unlimited cloud recording (without having to schedule every bloody event or worrying about an OT game) and up to 5 separate profiles is great and works really well.
Shoot it FatBoy
Sophomore

Post#577 » by Shoot it FatBoy » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:21 pm

bhchrist wrote:
Shoot it FatBoy wrote:I actually found a deal on Amazon to get 1 month of YouTube TV free with purchase of Roku Ultra $85. I might go that route instead of the pre-pay 3 months of Sling and get one for $50.

Have absolutely loved YouTube TV since I got it last March. Zero regrets at all. The unlimited cloud recording (without having to schedule every bloody event or worrying about an OT game) and up to 5 separate profiles is great and works really well.

For the separate profiles, does each one have a unique DVR? Can I censor what channels are available per profile? One thing I hate about Amazon Prime is my young kids sometimes see images for horror movies on the same screen as the kids shows and it scares the hell out of them for days.
bhchrist
Sophomore
And1: 97

Post#578 » by bhchrist » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:07 pm

Shoot it FatBoy wrote:
bhchrist wrote:

For the separate profiles, does each one have a unique DVR? Can I censor what channels are available per profile? One thing I hate about Amazon Prime is my young kids sometimes see images for horror movies on the same screen as the kids shows and it scares the hell out of them for days.

This is it exactly. Each profile has a separate Cloud DVR. It certainly has a recommendations algorithm based on what you record, watch, etc. My wife gets all of her Survivor, Bachelor, etc. shows front and center on her account and I have Bucks, Badgers, etc. for mine. My 16 year old only watches Twitch, YouTube, and Netflix, so he doesn't even use it.

There is a 9 month save period for recordings. There can be drift if you forget to switch account profiles. It is actually easy to switch on Roku once they are set up, but they are tied to emails/google accounts, so for your kids, you will likely need to set up a dummy account. Google also has their family plan service (https://support.google.com/families#topic=7327571) and you can filter searches by categories, as well as hiding channels and rearranging the order they appear on the live screen (scroll to the bottom of the "Live" screen guide and click customize. On the Roku, the default starting profile is whoever used it last, so keep that in mind.
BuckHole
Veteran
And1: 1,004

Post#579 » by BuckHole » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:13 pm

Sauce Boss wrote:
Treebeard wrote:Anybody accessed Fox Sports Wisconsin via Hulu? If yes, what do you think?

Is that possible?

I randomly dropped in here to say I don't have cable and don't feel like paying ~$50+ a month for it or an option like Playstation Vue to simply watch Bucks games. League Pass has blackouts for local games, which defeats the entire appeal. I don't need a cable replacement, I just need Bucks games a la carte, essentially.

Yes, I watch the Bucks on Hulu live TV. It has cloud DVR so it records games to watch later and multiple profile capabilities.
I admit to being a terrible judge of talent and having minimal knowledge of the game of basketball.
AKA Da Thread Killa
Shoot it FatBoy
Sophomore

Post#580 » by Shoot it FatBoy » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:17 pm

bhchrist wrote:
Shoot it FatBoy wrote:
bhchrist wrote:Have absolutely loved YouTube TV since I got it last March. Zero regrets at all. The unlimited cloud recording (without having to schedule every bloody event or worrying about an OT game) and up to 5 separate profiles is great and works really well.

This is it exactly. Each profile has a separate Cloud DVR. It certainly has a recommendations algorithm based on what you record, watch, etc. My wife gets all of her Survivor, Bachelor, etc. shows front and center on her account and I have Bucks, Badgers, etc. for mine. My 16 year old only watches Twitch, YouTube, and Netflix, so he doesn't even use it.

There is a 9 month save period for recordings. There can be drift if you forget to switch account profiles. It is actually easy to switch on Roku once they are set up, but they are tied to emails/google accounts, so for your kids, you will likely need to set up a dummy account. Google also has their family plan service (https://support.google.com/families#topic=7327571) and you can filter searches by categories, as well as hiding channels and rearranging the order they appear on the live screen (scroll to the bottom of the "Live" screen guide and click customize. On the Roku, the default starting profile is whoever used it last, so keep that in mind.

Sounds perfect for my family! Thanks for the info.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks