Moderator: JaysRule15

Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,094

Re: Breaking: Jay trading Martin to Dodgers 

Post#21 » by Schad » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:34 pm

Hoopstarr wrote:No relation to Tilson Brito, thankfully

Never forgive you for beating me to a thematically-appropriate Tilson Brito reference.

We were never going to get a great deal for Martin. We got a low-minors flier with real upside, which is exactly the sort we should be chasing, and we added our 17th fringy AAA starter with solid peripherals. So a little something for everyone.
**** your asterisk.
wamco
Junior
And1: 46

Post#22 » by wamco » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:05 pm

Ha. I agree. We may need to purchase another aaa affiliate. Maile now back up or Reese?
C Court
RealGM
And1: 25,103

Post#23 » by C Court » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:04 pm

Jays are clearly tanking for RJ or Zion!
NBA Champion Toronto Raptors
vaff87
RealGM
And1: 70,824

Post#24 » by vaff87 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:08 pm

Centre Court wrote:Jays are clearly tanking for RJ or Zion!

Zion gonna play CF and rob home runs every week.
Tanner
Veteran
And1: 4,173

Post#25 » by Tanner » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:32 pm

It’s easier to trade vets like this when you have prospects ready to take over (Jansen for Martin, Gurriel for Tulo, etc). The Jays probably became a better team with these trades for that reason, not worse. Either way good move. Brito is exactly the type of prospect you hope shows flashes in the minors and then trade for a vet in 2-3 years when you need prospect capital to make trades.
wamco
Junior
And1: 46

Post#26 » by wamco » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:56 pm

Phelps addition is a slight break from the Mediterranean ave and Baltic ave signings of shoemaker and Richards.

Martin and Phelps are at least Connecticut ave type of real estate.

I’m not Canadian so I’m all about moving Martin .
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,498

Post#27 » by dagger » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:53 pm

Read on Twitter
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
So_Fresh
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,450

Post#28 » by So_Fresh » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:54 pm

Martin wasn't going to see any playing time this year anyways. He's probably 4th in the depth chart behind Jansen, Maile and MacGuire. It only made sense to part ways with him, but having to eat up 80% of his remaining contract sucks. But on the other hand it's not my money so I don't really care. :wink:
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#29 » by Schad » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:18 am

Read on Twitter
**** your asterisk.
hst420
Pro Prospect
And1: 429

Post#30 » by hst420 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:25 am

Martin regressed heavily with the Jays.. his last great year was with the Pirates.
SharoneWright
RealGM
And1: 12,497
Location: A low-variance future conducive to raising children

Post#31 » by SharoneWright » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:24 am

I'm fine with it.

Should have pushed for pitching though. We have roll of the dice SS prospects up the wazoo.
Is anybody here a marine biologist?
polo007
General Manager
And1: 2,652

Post#32 » by polo007 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:27 am

I want to thank the Blue Jays organization from top to bottom for the opportunity to play in my home country for the last 4 years. It was truly an amazing ride! I’ll miss this great team and staff. I am now looking forward to being back with the Dodgers where it all began for me. I would like to extend a very special thanks to the Toronto fans that followed me every step of the way. I am truly grateful for your continued support.
So_Fresh
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,450

Post#33 » by So_Fresh » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:29 pm

Martin is a class act! He gets to go to the team he started it all with and a chance to win a championship. Wishing him all the best! Maybe one day he will return to Blue Jays as a coach and a mentor.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#34 » by Schad » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:56 pm

SharoneWright wrote:I'm fine with it.

Should have pushed for pitching though. We have roll of the dice SS prospects up the wazoo.

Can never have too many defensive sound-to-excellent MI prospects with interesting power profiles, really. I'd have loved to get a high-upside young starter, but those aren't usually on offer for the likes of Martin.
**** your asterisk.
Cyrus
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors
And1: 3,471

Post#35 » by Cyrus » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:03 pm

Schad wrote:
SharoneWright wrote:I'm fine with it.

Can never have too many defensive sound-to-excellent MI prospects with interesting power profiles, really. I'd have loved to get a high-upside young starter, but those aren't usually on offer for the likes of Martin.

There is some conflicting reports on this guy:

"MLB Pipeline ranked Brito 23rd among Dodgers prospects, but according to Baseball America he’s “lethargic in the field sometimes and makes poor baserunning decisions.” In other words, the Blue Jays’ player development staff has plenty of work ahead."

Sounds very familar SS/ util infielder we just got rid of lol.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/russell-martin-trade-another-step-blue-jays-future/

Anyways, I hope Pillar is the next to move. Not sure what his value is, but think it's time to put Alford or Randal at Center, and bring up another kid.
-MetA4-
Head Coach
And1: 465

Post#36 » by -MetA4- » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:21 pm

You're going to get a lot of varying opinions on lower-tier Rookie ball prospects. Also, lets not kid ourselves: its not like guys like Brito get a ton of looks, so any opinion is going to be based off of limited exposure.

Here's what Eddy Almaguer from Prospects Live had to say:

RONNY BRITO, SS
Here’s what I wrote about Brito, who was #17 in my yet-to-be-released Dodgers Top 30:

The Dodgers handed Brito a $2 million signing bonus as part of the 2015 international free agent class. He had one of the most advanced gloves in that class and it’s only improved since then. From his footwork, to a strong arm and equally strong instincts, he’s a lock to stay at shortstop and compete for hardware one day.

While his numbers at the plate were impressive last year, it’s important to note this was his third consecutive year in rookie ball and his BABIP was north of .380. He sets up in a crouch with his hands slightly above the letters. Footage from 2018 Instructs showed he alternates between a substantial leg kick and a pivot and it’s unclear if the latter is his two-strike approach. He lacks bat speed and his path to the ball isn’t efficient. He pulls the bat head too far back and tends to be late on pitches and it leads me to believe fastballs will eat him up as he ascends, if not already.

He has fringe-average pop that’ll show itself in games infrequently, mediocre speed that lacks instincts on the basepaths and a below-average hit tool that’s capped thanks to his poor two-strike approach.

ANDREW SOPKO, RHP
A seventh-round pick in 2015, Sopko profiles as a depth starter thanks to his ability to spot his 91-93 mph fastball while mixing in a slider and curveball. His pitches grade between average to above-average and he has solid command and control. At 6-foot-2, 205 pounds he’s got a good frame to eat innings. He might start the year in Double-A but should reach Buffalo by midseason with the chance to contribute major league innings in 2020.

https://www.prospectslive.com/featured-articles/russell-martin-ronny-brito-andrew-sopko-trade-fantasy
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#37 » by Schad » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:25 pm

I mean, yeah, when you're trading fringy players, you're going to get prospects with a lot of question marks. Brito is a lump of clay that does a few things well, and then you hope that the coaching staff can get him to settle on a swing that makes contact with some regularity, and hope that maturity comes with age. We can do with a few lottery tickets.
**** your asterisk.
JaysRule15
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 119,997

Post#38 » by JaysRule15 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:27 pm

Water under the bridge now, but how much better might the haul have been had we traded the likes of Martin, JD, etc. in 2017. Truly a colossal mistake.
Cyrus
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors
And1: 3,471

Post#39 » by Cyrus » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:21 pm

But its just weird how variety the comments are some places are saying this kid got gold glove potential at SS, and others are saying, he's slow and lathergic, and not really good defensively. lol That's pretty big inconsistency.
Tanner
Veteran
And1: 4,173

Post#40 » by Tanner » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:25 pm

JaysRule15 wrote:Water under the bridge now, but how much better might the haul have been had we traded the likes of Martin, JD, etc. in 2017. Truly a colossal mistake.

For Martin? This is the best the Jays were ever going to get. No one was going to pay $40m for Martin’s age 35 and 36 seasons (if we traded him in 2017).

The only player the Jays F’d up on was Donaldson. They traded Happ when he was the best SP on the market (whether you like the return or not is a different story). They traded Osuna at the right time just wrong circumstances (out of their control). They waited until Jansen was ready and then immediately traded Martin for a package that quite frankly is better than I thought we’d get (I expected practically nothing). They bought low and sold high on Smith, Oh, and Diaz. Who am I missing?

Starting the rebuild a year earlier is a bit overblown. Definitely would have been better just by the JD return alone, and trading Osuna before he got in legal trouble, but it’s not like we were turning down pre breakout Juan Soto and Elroy Jimenez to contend in 2018.

The Jays had a lot of depleting veteran assets at a time when older players with less control are not highly valued. Even trading Tulo a year ago wasn’t going to happen. Teams don’t value big money older players. We will see what they get for Stro, Sanchez, Giles, and Grichuk who at least are all in their 20’s.

Return to Toronto Blue Jays