ImageImageImage

The Knicks Scenario

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Captain_Caveman
RealGM
And1: 38,412

The Knicks Scenario 

Post#1 » by Captain_Caveman » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:49 pm

Starting to worry about this, the more that Durant to the Knicks rumors start to surface. Knicks can conceivably get to double max cap room land, and KD and Kyrie are pretty good friends. Kyrie would obviously love to play on a top Knicks team, too. What is worse is that the Knicks in the running for a top pick as well.

Money would be tight, but with cap maneuvering and dumping Courtney Lee and Hardaway, it is possible that Knicks could end up with:

Kyrie/Ntilikina
---
KD/Knox
Zion
Porzingis/Mitchell Robinson

No likey, even if the Knicks end up with RJ Barrett instead of Zion.
GoCeltics123
RealGM
And1: 32,676

Re: The Knicks Scenario 

Post#2 » by GoCeltics123 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:54 pm

Steve Mills said about a month ago about the Knicks only getting one free agent. But this is something I've been worried about all year.

You can't just assume a guy is staying because of words.
Jakeopp
General Manager
And1: 9,967

Post#3 » by Jakeopp » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:08 pm

Kyrie has vocally committed to playing with Gordon Hayward and this team multiple times this season. If he backs out on that, he really does belong with KD somewhere.
Turgon
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,607

Post#4 » by Turgon » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:15 pm

Not seeing it. At least not that easily. Porzingis is supposedly pissed because they're holding him back and if they issue a qualifying offer that's at least 8 million more (and someone will throw him money).
They also need to attach something to dump Hardaway and Lee and they don't have that much to offer. As for the pick, we'll have to wait and see but the new odds work against them.

In short, a lot of things would need to go their way in order to make things work.
K For Three
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 32,362

Post#5 » by K For Three » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:16 pm

Patsfan1081
RealGM
And1: 5,488

Post#6 » by Patsfan1081 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:21 pm

Honestly at the moment I have no clue what way this team should go but the last thing I'm worried about are the Knicks. They are extremely poorly run and Durant didn't even give them a meeting his last go around when the Knicks were closer to being a playoff team.
truth18
RealGM
And1: 42,830

Post#7 » by truth18 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:23 pm

Yeah, I'm not worried about the Knicks.
YOU LOSE
Captain_Caveman
RealGM

Post#8 » by Captain_Caveman » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:33 pm

Turgon wrote:Not seeing it. At least not that easily. Porzingis is supposedly pissed because they're holding him back and if they issue a qualifying offer that's at least 8 million more (and someone will throw him money).
They also need to attach something to dump Hardaway and Lee and they don't have that much to offer. As for the pick, we'll have to wait and see but the new odds work against them.

In short, a lot of things would need to go their way in order to make things work.

It assumes Porzingis would play ball. He'd already know if KD and Kyrie were coming, and would have a $17m cap hold.
Captain_Caveman
RealGM

Post#9 » by Captain_Caveman » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:34 pm

Patsfan1081 wrote:Honestly at the moment I have no clue what way this team should go but the last thing I'm worried about are the Knicks. They are extremely poorly run and Durant didn't even give them a meeting his last go around when the Knicks were closer to being a playoff team.

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/warriors/kevin-durant-free-agency-everyone-says-knicks-according-nba-agent

Warriors think so, too.
thelarrybirdx
Starter
And1: 1,962

Post#10 » by thelarrybirdx » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:36 pm

I wouldn't blame him. I've been worried for awhile that he's going to leave.
StojkoVrankovic
RealGM
And1: 9,600

Post#11 » by StojkoVrankovic » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:37 pm

Captain_Caveman wrote:
Turgon wrote:Not seeing it. At least not that easily. Porzingis is supposedly pissed because they're holding him back and if they issue a qualifying offer that's at least 8 million more (and someone will throw him money).

It assumes Porzingis would play ball. He'd already know if KD and Kyrie were coming, and would have a $17m cap hold.

It also assumes they can get rid of their trash contracts without giving up any assets. If it happened, which is almost impossible, their roster would be utter trash after the top 3.

There is another team in the same market that we have an easier time making it work
RIP texas celtic, 12/10/14 - 12/10/14
Captain_Caveman
RealGM

Post#12 » by Captain_Caveman » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:42 pm

StojkoVrankovic wrote:
Captain_Caveman wrote:

It also assumes they can get rid of their trash contracts without giving up any assets. If it happened, which is almost impossible, their roster would be utter trash after the top 3.

There is another team in the same market that we have an easier time making it work

The Nets don't have Porzingis, a top 5 pick and aren't getting KD, though.

The Knicks could also easily liquidate Hardaway and Lee, IMO. Trading Hardaway would probably even land them a pick in the process.
GoCeltics123
RealGM
And1: 32,676

Post#13 » by GoCeltics123 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:47 pm

Captain_Caveman wrote:
StojkoVrankovic wrote:
Captain_Caveman wrote:

The Knicks could also easily liquidate Hardaway and Lee, IMO. Trading Hardaway would probably even land them a pick in the process.

With his contract? Not sure about that
Green89
RealGM
And1: 26,621

Post#14 » by Green89 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:51 pm

truth18 wrote:Yeah, I'm not worried about the Knicks.

Me neither. The Post and other media outlets there seem to grasp at any narrative (like Kyrie's comments last night) and try to sway belief that their team will rise again one day. Don't see it happening.
StojkoVrankovic
RealGM
And1: 9,600

Post#15 » by StojkoVrankovic » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:52 pm

Captain_Caveman wrote:
StojkoVrankovic wrote:
Captain_Caveman wrote:

I think the rosters are almost irrelevant, they wouldn't leave their current teams if that was important.

They both leave their current situations for non basketball reasons in my opinion. The scary part is me actually seeing it as an option for both
RIP texas celtic, 12/10/14 - 12/10/14
Captain_Caveman
RealGM

Post#16 » by Captain_Caveman » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:23 pm

GoCeltics123 wrote:
Captain_Caveman wrote:
StojkoVrankovic wrote:It also assumes they can get rid of their trash contracts without giving up any assets. If it happened, which is almost impossible, their roster would be utter trash after the top 3.

So long as he is healthy, I don't see why not. He's a legit scorer, and lots of teams will have cap room. Can also just trade him for an expiring at the deadline.
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,716

Post#17 » by sully00 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:14 am

Captain_Caveman wrote:
GoCeltics123 wrote:
Captain_Caveman wrote:

So long as he is healthy, I don't see why not. He's a legit scorer, and lots of teams will have cap room. Can also just trade him for an expiring at the deadline.

That is what the issue will be for NYK. There are things you can do at the deadline that would make this idea plausible but the price is steep without having a guarantee that it is going to play out. The price of trying to do this in the middle of free agency is going to be prohibitive. Hardaway has a 15% trade kicker and an option year so he is going to be 22 mil a year after the trade. It might be cheaper to trade for another star than to free up the cap space to do this it would take multiple unprotected 1sts to free this money up going into free agency.
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,221

Post#18 » by djFan71 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:31 am

Screw it. Pre-emptive strike:

Kyrie, Morris, Bird for Lee, Lance, Knox, 2020 & 2022 firsts.
Knicks have space to sign KD, resign Morris & Kyrie (presumably - I didn't look at cap holds).

Turn around and send Yabu & a 2nd to DET for Zaza and we duck the tax.

Smart, Jaylen, Tatum, Al, Baynes
Terry, Lee, Hayward, Knox, Theis
Lance, Zaza, Semi, Williams, Wanamaker

Still a solid squad, and, we own all the picks.

* I'm only kidding unless Kyrie demanded it.
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,171

Post#19 » by brackdan70 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:33 am

Kyrie For Three wrote:Image

This.
Sign here
31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,954

Post#20 » by 31to6 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:44 am

As long as Dolan is the owner, the Knicks Scenarios hopefully will continue to play out as they have been. Emojis and poo.
Paul Pierce appreciation society.

Return to Boston Celtics