I worry that the Pacers will sell out and keep everybody this summer

Moderators: pacers33granger, boomershadow, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890

basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,911

Re: I worry that the Pacers will sell out and keep everybody this summer 

Post#21 » by basketballwacko2 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:22 am

pizza guy wrote:I've been on board the Kemba train for a long time now, and I'm getting giving up on that. I'm also interested in Bledsoe. And I'd be really interested in Dennis Smith Jr, if Dallas really wants to move him. I'm really starting to lean toward taking a significant risk at some point, if possible. Short of KD or Kawhi deciding Indy is where their heart is, we're going to be among the group fighting for first-runner-up. I'm not sure what that risk looks like just yet, but I think we'll have to do something aggressive if we're going to break into that next level.

The Pacers are not gonna get KD or Leonard. I do like Dennis Smith Jr. I think Kemba is past the point in his career that I'd give him a max offer, this would be something like 4 years $32 million.

When you're an Indiana, Milwaukee, Portland or Memphis or any team not NY, LA, or Miami or Chicago you're gonna have to build through the draft and trades.

What kind of players should the Pacers go after this off season? I don't know who all is gonna be free agents, but I'd go after younger, hard nosed speedy defender types. Everybody likes a high flying team that puts up 130 points a game, but no one wants to play in the House of Pain, where it's 48 minutes of Hell. I want a deep team that can get in your face and make you wish you were a baseball player. :nod:
Pacers_Freak
Veteran
And1: 2,711

Post#22 » by Pacers_Freak » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:58 pm

basketballwacko2 wrote:
pizza guy wrote:I've been on board the Kemba train for a long time now, and I'm getting giving up on that. I'm also interested in Bledsoe. And I'd be really interested in Dennis Smith Jr, if Dallas really wants to move him. I'm really starting to lean toward taking a significant risk at some point, if possible. Short of KD or Kawhi deciding Indy is where their heart is, we're going to be among the group fighting for first-runner-up. I'm not sure what that risk looks like just yet, but I think we'll have to do something aggressive if we're going to break into that next level.

The Pacers are not gonna get KD or Leonard. I do like Dennis Smith Jr. I think Kemba is past the point in his career that I'd give him a max offer, this would be something like 4 years $32 million.

When you're an Indiana, Milwaukee, Portland or Memphis or any team not NY, LA, or Miami or Chicago you're gonna have to build through the draft and trades.

What kind of players should the Pacers go after this off season? I don't know who all is gonna be free agents, but I'd go after younger, hard nosed speedy defender types. Everybody likes a high flying team that puts up 130 points a game, but no one wants to play in the House of Pain, where it's 48 minutes of Hell. I want a deep team that can get in your face and make you wish you were a baseball player. :nod:

DC is making 10 mil this year. There is no point in offering Kemba 8/year. It would be a non-starter.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 3,987

Post#23 » by Wizop » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:06 pm

Pacers_Freak wrote:DC is making 10 mil this year. There is no point in offering Kemba 8/year. It would be a non-starter.

there is no point in offering anyone less than we are paying DC and expecting a big upgrade. I suppose the one exception would be trading for someone still on their rookie contract, but then you'd have to ask if you were getting more than Holiday or Sumner. Dallas is offering a PG but why after a promising start are they giving up on him?
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,579

Post#24 » by pacers33granger » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:25 pm

Wizop wrote:
Pacers_Freak wrote:DC is making 10 mil this year. There is no point in offering Kemba 8/year. It would be a non-starter.

there is no point in offering anyone less than we are paying DC and expecting a big upgrade. I suppose the one exception would be trading for someone still on their rookie contract, but then you'd have to ask if you were getting more than Holiday or Sumner. Dallas is offering a PG but why after a promising start are they giving up on him?

If I'm reading his post correctly, he was saying that the max for Kemba would be in the neighborhood of 4 years starting at $32 mil/year, not that he wants to offer him $8 mil/year.

That kind of money is a legit concern for a guy who isn't a top 15 player, but if he's willing to come, we easily pay that.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,025

Post#25 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:29 pm

Pacers_Freak wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:

DC is making 10 mil this year. There is no point in offering Kemba 8/year. It would be a non-starter.

I think he meant a 4 year deal starting at $32m which is essentially a 4 year max contract for Kemba.

A max for Kemba May sound crazy, but it’s a little better in that we won’t have had to give up multiple 1sts or Dom in trade to get him. It’s kind of paying a premium to keep our other values parts. Or sub in Tobias or Middleton, or whomever for Kemba.
pacers70
Junior
And1: 69

Post#26 » by pacers70 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:49 pm

Kevin Pritchard is now team President. I don't think we need to worry about standing pat. If a deal is out there, he will make it.

It seems to me like bringing in Harris is a mistake. We are trying to get Turner and Sabonis in as our starting bigs.

Looking for a staring PG would be okay, but I think we have a future all-star in Aaron Holiday. If we could somehow bring in Walker for 2-3 years while Holiday is developing, that would be great...but it is very unlikely to happen.

In my opinion, we should be focusing on SF. I like Bojan but we need a more athletic SF. I would like to get Middleton but I don't see him leaving Milwaukee. Why would he leave one of the top teams in the Conference and one of the top players in the league?

I don't know who we could get but that's why KP gets paid the big bucks. I have confidence he will make a good move(s).
Pacers_Freak
Veteran

Post#27 » by Pacers_Freak » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:24 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Pacers_Freak wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:

I think he meant a 4 year deal starting at $32m which is essentially a 4 year max contract for Kemba.

A max for Kemba May sound crazy, but it’s a little better in that we won’t have had to give up multiple 1sts or Dom in trade to get him. It’s kind of paying a premium to keep our other values parts. Or sub in Tobias or Middleton, or whomever for Kemba.

My apologies.... damn it reading was my good subject.
Pacers_Freak
Veteran

Post#28 » by Pacers_Freak » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:41 pm

pacers70 wrote:Kevin Pritchard is now team President. I don't think we need to worry about standing pat. If a deal is out there, he will make it.

It seems to me like bringing in Harris is a mistake. We are trying to get Turner and Sabonis in as our starting bigs.

Looking for a staring PG would be okay, but I think we have a future all-star in Aaron Holiday. If we could somehow bring in Walker for 2-3 years while Holiday is developing, that would be great...but it is very unlikely to happen.

In my opinion, we should be focusing on SF. I like Bojan but we need a more athletic SF. I would like to get Middleton but I don't see him leaving Milwaukee. Why would he leave one of the top teams in the Conference and one of the top players in the league?

I don't know who we could get but that's why KP gets paid the big bucks. I have confidence he will make a good move(s).

Bold. Don't get me wrong I hope you are right. But bold.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 3,987

Post#29 » by Wizop » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:59 pm

Sumner is tearing up the G-League and yet they are keeping him in Ft Wayne while Holiday sits on the bench. They must really like Holiday or they'd send him down and bring Sumner up if only to give him game experience.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
xxSnEaKyPxx
RealGM
And1: 15,071

Post#30 » by xxSnEaKyPxx » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:25 pm

Pacers will 100% stand pat.

Thad and Bojan are playing well enough that the Pacers will be justified in bringing them back, especially since its unlikely we will be able to find an upgrade to them in the offseason.

We're a treadmill team, its just what treadmill teams do.
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#31 » by basketballwacko2 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:52 am

pacers33granger wrote:
Wizop wrote:

If I'm reading his post correctly, he was saying that the max for Kemba would be in the neighborhood of 4 years starting at $32 mil/year, not that he wants to offer him $8 mil/year.

That kind of money is a legit concern for a guy who isn't a top 15 player, but if he's willing to come, we easily pay that.

I'm kinda Wacky but not silly enough to think you can get Walker for $8 million per year. I was talking about max contracts as you said. Kemba is a good player but he'll be 29 in may and he's not worth that kind of money ($32 million per). He's the best player on a bad team let some other team make that mistake.
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#32 » by basketballwacko2 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:03 am

xxSnEaKyPxx wrote:Pacers will 100% stand pat.

Thad and Bojan are playing well enough that the Pacers will be justified in bringing them back, especially since its unlikely we will be able to find an upgrade to them in the offseason.

We're a treadmill team, its just what treadmill teams do.

IDK about stand pat. There will be changes, it depends on what is available. Teams that are currently over the cap and tax will want to sign the big names like KD and Leonard or Kemba and they will need to clear space to do it. We could be in a great position to take some teams player they goofed on and get paid to do it. I particularly look at Boston if they finish 4th or 5th after all the talk that when James was gone the east was theirs, they are gonna be going hard after Durant and or Leonard or trying to make the great AD trade. What if they want to move on from Hayward this summer? $32.7 and $34.2 million is a lot to take on but we might have the space and could we get a #1 or more to take him?
Jake0890
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 807

Post#33 » by Jake0890 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:10 am

I'm not advocating a max contract for Kemba (much rather see one for Middleton or Harris), but I think we have to sink some money into a single player. Condense our money, if you will.

As it stands, with our current depth, guys that need to be getting minutes, that should be getting minutes can't sniff the floor. With Edmund Sumner and Alize Johnson lighting it up in Ft. Wayne, them along with Aaron Holiday and dare I say TJ Leaf should be on the floor. We've got to see what we've got. Letting multiple pieces go and replacing them with a higher paid player allows us to "call up" those guys from the G League and let them see the floor.

Specifically with our guard rotation, as long as we've got Dipo, Joseph, DC, and Tyreke, Sumner and Holiday will never be able to get on the floor. There's just too many proven guys.
xxSnEaKyPxx
RealGM

Post#34 » by xxSnEaKyPxx » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:49 am

Jake0890 wrote:I'm not advocating a max contract for Kemba (much rather see one for Middleton or Harris), but I think we have to sink some money into a single player. Condense our money, if you will.

As it stands, with our current depth, guys that need to be getting minutes, that should be getting minutes can't sniff the floor. With Edmund Sumner and Alize Johnson lighting it up in Ft. Wayne, them along with Aaron Holiday and dare I say TJ Leaf should be on the floor. We've got to see what we've got. Letting multiple pieces go and replacing them with a higher paid player allows us to "call up" those guys from the G League and let them see the floor.

Specifically with our guard rotation, as long as we've got Dipo, Joseph, DC, and Tyreke, Sumner and Holiday will never be able to get on the floor. There's just too many proven guys.

Really? I'd take Kemba over Middleton or Harris 100 times out of 100.
Jake0890
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#35 » by Jake0890 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:08 am

xxSnEaKyPxx wrote:
Jake0890 wrote:I'm not advocating a max contract for Kemba (much rather see one for Middleton or Harris), but I think we have to sink some money into a single player. Condense our money, if you will.

Sure talent wise, Kemba > Middleton and Harris. Neither of them are scoring 60 points anytime soon.

But the last thing this team needs is a ball dominant scoring PG who takes shots away from Oladipo, Turner, and Sabonis. I've said it before and I'll say it again, Oladipo is the future starting ball handler on this team, whether he likes it or not. It only makes sense.

Tobias Harris is simply a better version of Thaddeus Young. He's my number 1 priority this offseason. He scores, rebounds, defends, can play both the 3 and 4. Middleton less so. If you think Bojan is the problem on this team, then Middleton is the guy for you. But either way, he's more talented too. The perfect 3-pt shooting SF in today's NBA.

In the end, Kemba is a 28 year old scoring point guard in a league that's slowly transitioning away from traditional point guards. Middleton is a 27 year old 3 point small forward with great length. Tobias Harris is a 26 year old SF/PF that can score, defend, and rebound. It's about fit on the team and the value of the players going forward. If we had a bad team that lacked a go-to scoring threat, Kemba is my guy. Otherwise, gimme the other two.

Serious question - can you imagine Kemba and Oladipo on the floor on the same time? How does that work? who's getting the ball in crunch time?
xxSnEaKyPxx
RealGM

Post#36 » by xxSnEaKyPxx » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:12 am

Jake0890 wrote:
xxSnEaKyPxx wrote:

Sure talent wise, Kemba > Middleton and Harris. Neither of them are scoring 60 points anytime soon.

But the last thing this team needs is a ball dominant scoring PG who takes shots away from Oladipo, Turner, and Sabonis. I've said it before and I'll say it again, Oladipo is the future starting ball handler on this team, whether he likes it or not. It only makes sense.

Tobias Harris is simply a better version of Thaddeus Young. He's my number 1 priority this offseason. He scores, rebounds, defends, can play both the 3 and 4. Middleton less so. If you think Bojan is the problem on this team, then Middleton is the guy for you. But either way, he's more talented too. The perfect 3-pt shooting SF in today's NBA.

In the end, Kemba is a 28 year old scoring point guard in a league that's slowly transitioning away from traditional point guards. Middleton is a 27 year old 3 point small forward with great length. Tobias Harris is a 26 year old SF/PF that can score, defend, and rebound. It's about fit on the team and the value of the players going forward. If we had a bad team that lacked a go-to scoring threat, Kemba is my guy. Otherwise, gimme the other two.

Serious question - can you imagine Kemba and Oladipo on the floor on the same time? How does that work? who's getting the ball in crunch time?

Kemba can be a good fit next to Dipo. He's very good defensively and can play with the ball or play off the ball. He's a good enough shooter to still space the floor. Dipo can still handle the ball, but obviously Kemba would get it a lot too. Gives two options who can play off each other well, while both being great defenders. Dipo would still get it in clutch situations, but if hes covered we have another great option.
Jake0890
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#37 » by Jake0890 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:07 am

xxSnEaKyPxx wrote:
Jake0890 wrote:
xxSnEaKyPxx wrote:Really? I'd take Kemba over Middleton or Harris 100 times out of 100.

Kemba can be a good fit next to Dipo. He's very good defensively and can play with the ball or play off the ball. He's a good enough shooter to still space the floor. Dipo can still handle the ball, but obviously Kemba would get it a lot too. Gives two options who can play off each other well, while both being great defenders. Dipo would still get it in clutch situations, but if hes covered we have another great option.

Kemba is 6'1", Dipo is 6'4". Despite their steal numbers, their defense isn't great and I'm not confident in their ability to defend the longer lineups we're seeing at the guard positions nowadays.

What I'd really love to see is getting Klay and Tobias, as unlikely as that is. Something like Dipo-Thomspon-Bojan-Tobias-Turner with Sabonis coming off the bench would be deadly. Dipo dominates the ball with spacing everywhere and Turner holding down the paint defensively.
xxSnEaKyPxx
RealGM

Post#38 » by xxSnEaKyPxx » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:09 am

Jake0890 wrote:
xxSnEaKyPxx wrote:
Jake0890 wrote:

Kemba is 6'1", Dipo is 6'4". Despite their steal numbers, their defense isn't great and I'm not confident in their ability to defend the longer lineups we're seeing at the guard positions nowadays.

What I'd really love to see is getting Klay and Tobias, as unlikely as that is. Something like Dipo-Thomspon-Bojan-Tobias-Turner with Sabonis coming off the bench would be deadly. Dipo dominates the ball with spacing everywhere and Turner holding down the paint defensively.

They both play much better defense than their size would suggest.

I mean, we aren't getting Kemba, or Klay, or Tobias, so its all just a giant fantasy anyway I suppose.
Grang33r
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 400

Post#39 » by Grang33r » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:24 am

Is Tobias on a max contract good value? I'm not so sure. I like the player a lot but that's a lot of $$$ for Harris imo.
The first rule of Basketball: Believe.
Follow on twitter @Grang33r
Vorda
Senior
And1: 131

Post#40 » by Vorda » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:08 am

Jake0890 wrote:
xxSnEaKyPxx wrote:

Oladipo is not enough for title run... he is struggeling against the best teams and he needs help from someone like Kemba... there will be enough balls for both of them... we despertly need more talent here... if we will have opportunity to take Kemba we have to do that...

Return to Indiana Pacers