OT: Cutting the Cord 2.0 - ESPN/Fox/Warner Launching Combined Sports Streamer

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,220

Re: OT: Cutting the Cord 2.0 The Tutorial 

Post#601 » by MickeyDavis » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:33 am

ReasonablySober wrote:FWIW, girlfriend and I have had major Hulu issues today. Her watching a show, me watching live TV. We both have excellent internet but Hulu's been buffering regularly and the live feed seems much more delayed than usual.

Good info. That's the problem, sometimes, with internet based TV. I've heard the buffering thing with several providers.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
jmuelly
Junior
And1: 88

Post#602 » by jmuelly » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:10 pm

I’d love to get rid of my directv, I absolutely hate paying expensive bills for both internet and tv especially when I really don’t use the tv to it’s fullest value imo. My issue is I am worried I won’t be able to watch the sports I care to watch primarily locally but also nationally. I got buddies who struggle to get bucks/brewers/packers without cable. Im not sure the mke market non cable users are different or not, I am in the gb market area.
bhchrist
Sophomore
And1: 97

Post#603 » by bhchrist » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:15 pm

jmuelly wrote:I’d love to get rid of my directv, I absolutely hate paying expensive bills for both internet and tv especially when I really don’t use the tv to it’s fullest value imo. My issue is I am worried I won’t be able to watch the sports I care to watch primarily locally but also nationally. I got buddies who struggle to get bucks/brewers/packers without cable. Im not sure the mke market non cable users are different or not, I am in the gb market area.

Testdrive YouTubeTV. I think I have posted just about everything I can up-thread as have a number of others. I switched due to the sports package. As a 15+ year DirecTV user, I have not missed it for one second the past year. Saving well over $100 per month.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,950

Post#604 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:34 pm

Hulu is dropping the price of their basic plan and adding the loss onto Live customers. Five bucks. I'm annoyed and it's enough to get me to rethink what streaming service I use.
jmuelly
Junior
And1: 88

Post#605 » by jmuelly » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:47 pm

bhchrist wrote:
jmuelly wrote:I’d love to get rid of my directv, I absolutely hate paying expensive bills for both internet and tv especially when I really don’t use the tv to it’s fullest value imo. My issue is I am worried I won’t be able to watch the sports I care to watch primarily locally but also nationally. I got buddies who struggle to get bucks/brewers/packers without cable. Im not sure the mke market non cable users are different or not, I am in the gb market area.

Testdrive YouTubeTV. I think I have posted just about everything I can up-thread as have a number of others. I switched due to the sports package. As a 15+ year DirecTV user, I have not missed it for one second the past year. Saving well over $100 per month.

Is there anyway to get nfl network? I don’t see it listed as an option with youtube.

Currently I am paying about $105 for 3 tvs total home dvr and the choice extra (I think)
It’s a nice service but seems there has to be cheaper close comparisons. Youtube tv seems decent but the exclusion of NFLN has me concerned.

What devices can stream youtube tv and is there a dvr like service?
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#606 » by MickeyDavis » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:01 pm

Do all of these services, Hulu, YouTube, etc... allow multiple streams? I currently have 3 TV's and will be adding one later this year.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,327

Post#607 » by crkone » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:04 pm

jmuelly wrote:
bhchrist wrote:

Is there anyway to get nfl network? I don’t see it listed as an option with youtube.

Currently I am paying about $105 for 3 tvs total home dvr and the choice extra (I think)
It’s a nice service but seems there has to be cheaper close comparisons. Youtube tv seems decent but the exclusion of NFLN has me concerned.

What devices can stream youtube tv and is there a dvr like service?

It has an unlimited cloud DVR.

MickeyDavis wrote:Do all of these services, Hulu, YouTube, etc... allow multiple streams? I currently have 3 TV's and will be adding one later this year.

3 simultaneous streams at once for YouTube TV.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,365

Post#608 » by M-C-G » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:09 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:Do all of these services, Hulu, YouTube, etc... allow multiple streams? I currently have 3 TV's and will be adding one later this year.

Pretty certain I have had Vue running on three separate tvs at the same time...definitely know for we run 2 all the time.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#609 » by MickeyDavis » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:28 pm

Cool. I don't care about phone, I never watch anything on it. Tough to find the right combo of stuff. I really need FSWI, NFLN, Red Zone, NBATV, MLBTV and the regular stuff. With a reliable DVR service as I record virtually everything other than sports.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#610 » by MickeyDavis » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:03 pm

My latest one year deal with Uverse expired and as usual and since none of the alternatives did it for me I got into an online chat and for the third year in a row my TV/internet package price went down. I'm paying less than if I had one of the alternatives along with stand alone internet and I get about 4X the channels. I get why people want to "cut the cord" to save money but the increased choices and competition means you can bargain the hell out of your current provider, at least Uverse.
buckboy
RealGM
And1: 7,898

Post#611 » by buckboy » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:25 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:Cool. I don't care about phone, I never watch anything on it. Tough to find the right combo of stuff. I really need FSWI, NFLN, Red Zone, NBATV, MLBTV and the regular stuff. With a reliable DVR service as I record virtually everything other than sports.

I have 6 TVs on Hulu. You have to pay $15/month extra if you want more than 2 screens at once

I switched a month or so ago and I have no idea why i waited so long.
"This is my home, this is my city...I'm blessed to be a part of the Milwaukee Bucks for the next 5 years. Let's make these years count. The show goes on, let's get it."
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#612 » by MickeyDavis » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:29 pm

buckboy wrote:
MickeyDavis wrote:Cool. I don't care about phone, I never watch anything on it. Tough to find the right combo of stuff. I really need FSWI, NFLN, Red Zone, NBATV, MLBTV and the regular stuff. With a reliable DVR service as I record virtually everything other than sports.

I have 6 TVs on Hulu. You have to pay $15/month extra if you want more than 2 screens at once

It's $10 extra per TV on Uverse (for me anyway) but yes I can see where 6 TV's you would maybe save some cash with Hulu. But I'm now paying $78 a month for 200 channels AND internet. On 4 TV's. I can't beat that anywhere else. I never have lag, never have issues. YMMV, I have had Uverse for several years and maybe that's a factor as well.
buckboy
RealGM
And1: 7,898

Post#613 » by buckboy » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:51 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:
buckboy wrote:

It's $10 extra per TV on Uverse (for me anyway) but yes I can see where 6 TV's you would maybe save some cash with Hulu. But I'm now paying $78 a month for 200 channels AND internet. On 4 TV's. I can't beat that anywhere else. I never have lag, never have issues. YMMV, I have had Uverse for several years and maybe that's a factor as well.

Yeah that's damn cheap. I'm at 120 with everything including HBO, netflix and a couple cheap apps for the little kids.

The DVR sucks. That's the only real disappointment I have. I'm assuming it'll improve.
"This is my home, this is my city...I'm blessed to be a part of the Milwaukee Bucks for the next 5 years. Let's make these years count. The show goes on, let's get it."
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 25,998

Post#614 » by paulpressey25 » Sun Jun 2, 2019 3:43 am

YouTube TV pushing the monthly price up to $49.99.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/04/10/youtube-tv-price-increases-to-50-a-month.html

Had started out at $35 a month initially.

True, they are adding “new channels” but not encouraging to see them move back towards cable prices.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
Ill-yasova
RealGM
And1: 2,552

Post#615 » by Ill-yasova » Sun Jun 2, 2019 3:59 am

paulpressey25 wrote:YouTube TV pushing the monthly price up to $49.99.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/04/10/youtube-tv-price-increases-to-50-a-month.html

Had started out at $35 a month initially.

True, they are adding “new channels” but not encouraging to see them move back towards cable prices.

That’s the thing. I don’t need new channels, I only use it for local sports, everything else is either Netflix or Hulu. Might have to cancel soon.
KidA24
General Manager
And1: 7,267

Post#616 » by KidA24 » Mon Jun 3, 2019 4:13 pm

Hitting a wall trying to get my MLB.tv to play locally without needing my laptop to stream it.

Got Kodi and the MLB.tv plugin for my raspberry pi and I cannot for the life of me get it to load smoothly. I think my wifi is the issue and I'm going to try to remedy that this weekend. We shall see.
Amos Barshad: "So you got a job, a place to live, a license? What’s left?"

Giannis: “Nothing. Just get a ring now.”
mlloyd10
General Manager
And1: 854

Post#617 » by mlloyd10 » Mon Jun 3, 2019 4:24 pm

Anyone know why im getting 230 mbps off my modem, but only 90 mbps off my Wifi router?

Have Netgear AC1000 for my Router
LittleRooster
General Manager
And1: 3,118

Post#618 » by LittleRooster » Mon Jun 3, 2019 11:55 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:
buckboy wrote:

I’m paying 138 for internet and cable with Spectrum, includes hbo/showtime, mlb network, but I don’t want to pay that much. When I asked about canceling the tv and just having internet, the price was like 80-90 dollars. I asked about an introductory price for the internet but was told I’d have to cancel and not get service for 3 months at my current place to do that. So I feel stuck. Anyone have suggestions?

If I had to do it over again, I would have just gotten internet and then gone with sling for 25 a month

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Aaron It Out
General Manager
And1: 3,101

Post#619 » by Aaron It Out » Tue Jun 4, 2019 12:04 am

mlloyd10 wrote:Anyone know why im getting 230 mbps off my modem, but only 90 mbps off my Wifi router?

Have Netgear AC1000 for my Router
What kind of device is it? Are you sure the wireless supports over 100mbps? Can you try using a different channel (5ghz vs 2.4ghz)? 2.4 is usually the default but you sacrifice a little speed for range. You'll have to go into your router to make sure 5ghz is enabled and has an SSID so you can find it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
EastSideBucksFan wrote:At some point this board is going to have to drop their stupid bullsht agendas and just enjoy the team for once.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,166
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#620 » by Kerb Hohl » Tue Jun 4, 2019 5:15 pm

Via contracts and other reservations (local channels on a service I wanted, etc.) I keep pushing back cutting DirecTV and going with a streaming service a year...I've been pushing it back for like 3 years.

Seeing these price increases makes me think I'll never do it.

Last year, I did do a free trial of DirecTVNow (needed the bigger channel lineup for the wife) and got my DirecTV price down for a calendar year to $50 because they were too dumb to realize I was on their other service when I threatened to cancel and cut the cord.

But back to the main point, Sling/Hulu and maybe PSVue are missing some key channels or local channels. Youtube and DirecTVNow almost cost as much as cable. Throw in buffering issues and the fact that I'd for sure be bumping up to fiber to combat that which has finally been installed in my area and it's suddenly not worth it anymore.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks