Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Re: The Tyreke Evans Problem 

Post#41 » by Topofthekey » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:51 pm

8305 wrote:Pacers trade
Tyreke Evans, Darren Collison, 2019 first
Memphis trades
Mike Conley

Clear upgrade to the weakest position in our starting lineup. The second ball handler we've talked about. Takes away most of the cap space for next summer but, I'm not sure what we could attract in that market would be better than Conley.

That is the question

Are we going to dream about signing Kemba Walker? Or do we feel it's a foregone conclusion that Pacers have no chance of signing him?
Vorda
Senior
And1: 131

Post#42 » by Vorda » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:46 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:
8305 wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
I mean, we’re not including a 1st for Conleys contract.

If Conley can be acquired with expiring contracts only great. But, if the objective is to better compete with Toronto (or Boston, Philly or the Bucks) I don't think you worry about a pick that will be 25 or later.

I think it does matter a little in that you'll need that 1st to dump McDermott's contract to avoid the tax going forward, or to acquire the rest of your roster, as you're effectively capped out by adding Conley's $32+m a year contract. I mean, in two years, you're capped out with just Conley, Oladipo, Turner, and trying to re-sign Dom. Avoiding the tax then will be quite difficult.

If you want to be contender paying more tax should not be a problem...
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,070

Post#43 » by Wizop » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:24 pm

Vorda wrote:If you want to be contender paying more tax should not be a problem...

right now we are paying zero tax. I believe the only time we paid any tax was during Reggie's final contract. we did it to honor Reggie more than to contend.

but we are contending right now. our record is something like 4th best in the entire league. sure we took a beating in Boston, but Boston took a beating the next night in Miami. playing back to back on the road is hard.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Pacers_Freak
Veteran
And1: 2,713

Post#44 » by Pacers_Freak » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:19 pm

I like Conley a lot. I don't see the Pacers investing that much of their cap into a guy that has had a hard time staying healthy and only getting older. I'm all for making moves to improve the team. I'm not sure this is it or if it is a direction the Pacers are interested in going.
Assistant Coach
And1: 602

Post#45 » by 8305 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:41 pm

Wizop wrote:
Vorda wrote:If you want to be contender paying more tax should not be a problem...

right now we are paying zero tax. I believe the only time we paid any tax was during Reggie's final contract. we did it to honor Reggie more than to contend.

but we are contending right now. our record is something like 4th best in the entire league. sure we took a beating in Boston, but Boston took a beating the next night in Miami. playing back to back on the road is hard.

Yes but 2 of our three best players are on rookie contracts. That's a bit of an fluke. There was a time when the Warriors were winning championship and under the cap. That can only last so long. When the rookie and under market contracts come due the tax typically comes into play for contending teams.
croat25
Sophomore
And1: 92

Post#46 » by croat25 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:15 am

I have never seen a player so willing and persistent to slash and attack the basket and miss every single layup. Is there any stat showing paint scoring ? Most selfish and lowest bb IQ on team.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,063

Post#47 » by Scoot McGroot » Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:07 am

croat25 wrote:I have never seen a player so willing and persistent to slash and attack the basket and miss every single layup. Is there any stat showing paint scoring ? Most selfish and lowest bb IQ on team.

37% of his FGA this season are inside of 3 feet, where he's made 51% of those attempts.

That's pretty horrible.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#48 » by pacers33granger » Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:16 pm

croat25 wrote:I have never seen a player so willing and persistent to slash and attack the basket and miss every single layup. Is there any stat showing paint scoring ? Most selfish and lowest bb IQ on team.

Take out Domas and our entire bench is pretty low IQ to be honest. A few of those guys are young so it's excusable, but it's really not for the vets.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#49 » by Wizop » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:43 am

there was a tweet from his brother/manager saying we weren't using him correctly. could be a trade request. expect a closed door meeting.

Sent from my phone.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#50 » by Wizop » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:52 pm

Read on Twitter
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#51 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:08 pm

Wizop wrote:
Read on Twitter

Honestly ok with that. If we’re gonna have a rough game shorthanded against the Warriors, lets have no reason not to play the young guys with a long leash and let them learn.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#52 » by Wizop » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:31 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Wizop wrote:
Read on Twitter

Honestly ok with that. If we’re gonna have a rough game shorthanded against the Warriors, lets have no reason not to play the young guys with a long leash and let them learn.
now hearing Sumner may start. I agree on seeing what they can do in a tough game.

Sent from my phone.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#53 » by Wizop » Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:32 am

Holiday, Sumner, and Leaf all show potential. I wouldn't hang up if someone called wanting Tyreke for something other than a bad contract. Bonus points for Holidays or Bruins.

Sent from my phone.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#54 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:55 pm

Wizop wrote:Holiday, Sumner, and Leaf all show potential. I wouldn't hang up if someone called wanting Tyreke for something other than a bad contract. Bonus points for Holidays or Bruins.

Sent from my phone.

If we could somehow snag Jrue Holiday out of New Orleans and play a 3 guard rotation of Jrue, Vic, and Aaron going forward? I'd be happy with that. Bonus points to snag Justin this offseason with the Room exception or BAE. :nod:

:wink:
Pacers_Freak
Veteran
And1: 2,713

Post#55 » by Pacers_Freak » Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:24 pm

I'll ask the question.... is he really hurt or are we saying he's hurt while exploring possible trades?
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#56 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:28 pm

Pacers_Freak wrote:I'll ask the question.... is he really hurt or are we saying he's hurt while exploring possible trades?

He's probably hurt. He's talked a lot about learning to manage injuries and his health over a full season several times in the media. I'm sure we're listening to trades, and maybe seeking some out, but he hasn't done anything to be "banished" from the team.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#57 » by Wizop » Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:59 pm

Pacers_Freak wrote:I'll ask the question.... is he really hurt or are we saying he's hurt while exploring possible trades?

it could be both. he's definitely not traveling with the team but McMillan says he could join them later if he feels better. Sumner will start in Washington. on balance, I hope he's hurt as I have a hard time thinking Pritchard judged his talent this badly. at this point, I'd trade him for what Vorda would take for Collison.
BooomBaby
Junior
And1: 198

Post#58 » by BooomBaby » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:26 pm

Evans sucks so bad, man.

I hate seeing him out there every time he's on the floor.

I wish we'd kept Lance on the cheap like we should've done.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#59 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:39 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#60 » by pacers33granger » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:58 pm

He clearly just has not fit in. It doesn't seem like he or anyone on the team dislike each other, but it seems everyone would be happier with him elsewhere unfortunately. I wonder if we'll just waive him or tell him to stay home.

Hard seeing him get more than a vet minimum next year. A few good playoff games could have really helped him, but oh well. At least we didn't give him multiple years.

Return to Indiana Pacers