ImageImageImageImageImage

John Wall OUT for 12 months; Ruptured Achilles

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,992

Re: John Wall OUT for 12 months; Ruptured Achilles 

Post#141 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Feb 6, 2019 1:51 am

NatP4 wrote:Why would you give someone an extension 2 years before his current deal ends?

Wall is gonna make 40 million to do nothing next season
Stupid doesn't make correct mistakes because its motives are not quality and improved performance. Ignorance is blissful in doing the same.

Stupids perceive anything contrary to sycophancy as an attack. Ernie has been entrenched with his own ideas and his very persistent self-protection as the only direction.

He's obsessed with "stars" and "veterans". Once Wall made all star, EG did what he ALWAYS does. Knee-jerk, risk-averse, blind trigger move to keep HIS players.

It's been incredibly frustrating to see until I FINALLY STOPPED GIVING a you know what.

It was stupid to sign Wall when he did. Ten years earlier I went into very explicit detail BEFORE HE STUPIDLY SIGNED ARENAS the very same way.

This time?

Eat that contract, Wizards. Do not feel one iota of guilt or shame, John Wall.

Sent from my SM-J337T using RealGM mobile app
Bye bye Beal.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,868

Post#142 » by payitforward » Wed Feb 6, 2019 1:51 am

TheKingOfVa360 wrote:It has to be a way we can waive his contract. Hopefully he violated some term in the contract.

You want them to be able to screw a guy b/c he is hurt.

What's the matter with you, man?
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
RealGM

Post#143 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Feb 6, 2019 1:52 am

dorianwrite wrote:They won't do this, but:

1. At a minimum, trade Green and Ariza for something at the deadline -- expiring contracts, 2nd round picks.
2. If anyone will take Markieff Morris for basically anything (ham sandwich and a bag of chips?), do it as long as it helps with getting under the cap.
3. Keep Beal as the face of the franchise and its best player, as long as he hasn't firmly indicated that he has no interest in staying with Washington long-term. Try to sell him on being the team leader, though, because you won't get anything of remotely equal value right now by trading him. (If trading Beal, then proceed to full-on tank mode, Do Not Pass Go, Do Not Collect $200.)
4. Porter will never be significantly better than what he is. If we were seriously offered a first round pick by anyone, take it. If we were actually offered Harrison Barnes (roughly equivalent production and one less year of salary), take it.
5. Resign Sato if he's not asking for the world. If he is, letting him go isn't the end of the world (he'd never be a starter on a great team, who needs even a good starting point guard on a lousy team, and losing him would probably accelerate the tank job -- intentional or inadvertent -- that will be next season).
6. Get as many of the young energy guys to remain as you can, probably in this order: Bryant, Randle, McRae, Dekker, Robinson. (Bryant is the only one you offer much of a salary or for more than a year or two.) They all seem like good people and will be fun to root for while we lose a lot of games next year.
7. Wall stays because no one will take him off our hands. Brown stays because he's on a rookie deal and we still haven't figured out exactly what he is and could be.
8. Let Mahinmi expire after next season. Don't worry about what Dwight Howard decides to do, because if he leaves, there's no point handing over his cap money to anyone good if we're tanking, and if he stays, he's not good enough to interrupt the tank.

If we're lucky, Wall comes back as a very good player and someone loses their mind and decides to trade for his contract in a couple of years. If not, then hopefully our combination of first round picks and whichever young guys from this year we retain are all ready to compete in 4-5 years when Wall either gets us something decent in a trade because of his huge expiring contract or the contract runs its natural course.
Disagree on Porter. He's going to blow up.

Otherwise, good to hear from you!

Bye bye Beal.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#144 » by payitforward » Wed Feb 6, 2019 1:52 am

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:...
Eat that contract, Wizards. Do not feel one iota of guilt or shame, John Wall.

Damn straight, man.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
RealGM

Post#145 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Feb 6, 2019 1:53 am

1. At a minimum, trade Green and Ariza for something at the deadline -- expiring contracts, 2nd round picks.
2. If anyone will take Markieff Morris for basically anything (ham sandwich and a bag of chips?), do it as long as it helps with getting under the cap.
3. Keep Beal as the face of the franchise and its best player, as long as he hasn't firmly indicated that he has no interest in staying with Washington long-term. Try to sell him on being the team leader, though, because you won't get anything of remotely equal value right now by trading him. (If trading Beal, then proceed to full-on tank mode, Do Not Pass Go, Do Not Collect $200.)
4. Porter will never be significantly better than what he is. If we were seriously offered a first round pick by anyone, take it. If we were actually offered Harrison Barnes (roughly equivalent production and one less year of salary), take it.
5. Resign Sato if he's not asking for the world. If he is, letting him go isn't the end of the world (he'd never be a starter on a great team, who needs even a good starting point guard on a lousy team, and losing him would probably accelerate the tank job -- intentional or inadvertent -- that will be next season).
6. Get as many of the young energy guys to remain as you can, probably in this order: Bryant, Randle, McRae, Dekker, Robinson. (Bryant is the only one you offer much of a salary or for more than a year or two.) They all seem like good people and will be fun to root for while we lose a lot of games next year.
7. Wall stays because no one will take him off our hands. Brown stays because he's on a rookie deal and we still haven't figured out exactly what he is and could be.
8. Let Mahinmi expire after next season. Don't worry about what Dwight Howard decides to do, because if he leaves, there's no point handing over his cap money to anyone good if we're tanking, and if he stays, he's not good enough to interrupt the tank.

If we're lucky, Wall comes back as a very good player and someone loses their mind and decides to trade for his contract in a couple of years. If not, then hopefully our combination of first round picks and whichever young guys from this year we retain are all ready to compete in 4-5 years when Wall either gets us something decent in a trade because of his huge expiring contract or the contract runs its natural course.
Great post!

Couldn't agree more on Sato and the young guys. They're fun to watch and promising.

Bye bye Beal.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#146 » by payitforward » Wed Feb 6, 2019 1:55 am

AFM wrote:I really feel for John. It's quite possible that his career is over, in any meaningful sense. ...

Agree entirely!
RealGM

Post#147 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Feb 6, 2019 2:02 am

miller31time wrote:Is there any way his upcoming contract could be voided due to negligence?

I feel like, if HE wasn't properly caring for his injury, then why should we have to pay for him to sit on the sidelines?
This makes my ire raise up.

Void EG. Stop player hating!

Remember stop snitching? I do. :)

Negligence?

I'm gonna drop this at typical fan reversal. Love the exciting stud. Hate when stud turns into dud.

How many YEARS did so many here hate on ME FOR WALL BASHING WHEN ALL I DID WAS FORESEE THIS VERY Scenario...

Speedy guard approaching thirty...only Steve Nash when he left Dallas for Phoenix paid off (before he broke completely as a Laker). That was before super max deals.

Void the deal sounds like true management tactic. Sounds like do not pay fire or casualty after finding a technicality to void a good faith.

No. Make Teddy and minion EG deal with it.

Bye bye Beal.
Wizfanman
Freshman
And1: 72

Post#148 » by Wizfanman » Wed Feb 6, 2019 2:04 am

I think Wall could still be a top pg in terms of assist, even if he loses a step. Losing a step might force him to do what many fans want him to do and thats pass more and shoot a lot less.
JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,093

Post#149 » by JWizmentality » Wed Feb 6, 2019 2:09 am

Welp...it's Arenas all over again. Good luck to Wall.
ozthegap
Senior
And1: 159

Post#150 » by ozthegap » Wed Feb 6, 2019 3:08 am

doesnt insurance now pay his salary?
TheBabyMaker
Starter
And1: 852

Post#151 » by TheBabyMaker » Wed Feb 6, 2019 3:17 am

payitforward wrote:
TheKingOfVa360 wrote:It has to be a way we can waive his contract. Hopefully he violated some term in the contract.

I feel no sympathy for Wall, did he fall off his scooter?
TheBabyMaker
Starter
And1: 852

Post#152 » by TheBabyMaker » Wed Feb 6, 2019 3:20 am

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:

Disagree on Porter. He's going to blow up.

Otherwise, good to hear from you!

You mean Otto is finally going to grow into a body like Giannis? Yippee
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,730

Post#153 » by gambitx777 » Wed Feb 6, 2019 4:54 am

I think insurance covers the actual money, but not the cap hit. I would love if there was a way out of the contract due to this injury. But, it is guaranteed money. So any out due to inactivity, that EG may or may not have slipped into the contract, would clearly be a buy, out pay him and leave situation, to clear the cap hit, but they would have to pay the money. We don't want to screw the dude out of his money. I mean **** if anything this is a word of caution to anthony davis. What if wall was playing games like he was when this went down. The dude slipped and fell, not his fault and could happen to anyone. AD should consider just signing that super max with N.O. cuz at the end of the day, titles and rings are nice but that money... Look Wall was smart he didn't try to pull **** he said i wanna be here, and i want paid and he took his money. He should get paid that money.

Now if wall loses a step, he needs to adjust. He can be one of the best passers in the game if he tries, maybe this will make him tweak his game.
stilldropin20
RealGM
And1: 1,233

Post#154 » by stilldropin20 » Wed Feb 6, 2019 5:06 am

this is bull crap. professional athlete cant slip and fall and tear an achilles in their house. not possible. something else happened. he jumped, leaped, ran, sprinted, got drunk and tried dunking...something. something else happened.

also...the site was infected?? did he also not take his antibiotics? cuz there is NO WAY that he had bone spurs removed and the there was no 2 week regimen of antibiotic...which stay in his body for another 7-14 days...so im not buying any of it.

and no...i never liked arenas as a basketball player nor wall. immature selfish head down style of play is often and indicator and an immature human being. same with lavine, westbrook, kobe, MJ, and many others. few players are good enough to be selfish immature players and still win...and they usually do so because they are surrounded by a slew of players willing to fall on their sword for said player.

in the end...this could be a huge blessing in disguise if they simply embrace the tank and trade everyone for picks. tank now and draft for 2024-25!!

in 15 months...if wall makes it back for 3 good months.... some fool will trade for him....trade him then.
like i said, its a full rebuild.
ozthegap
Senior
And1: 159

Post#155 » by ozthegap » Wed Feb 6, 2019 5:15 am

stilldropin20 wrote:this is bull crap. professional athlete cant slip and fall and tear an achilles in their house. not possible. something else happened. he jumped, leaped, ran, sprinted, got drunk and tried dunking...something. something else happened.

also...the site was infected?? did he also not take his antibiotics? cuz there is NO WAY that he had bone spurs removed and the there was no 2 week regimen of antibiotic...which stay in his body for another 7-14 days...so im not buying any of it.

and no...i never liked arenas as a basketball player nor wall. immature selfish head down style of play is often and indicator and an immature human being. same with lavine, westbrook, kobe, MJ, and many others. few players are good enough to be selfish immature players and still win...and they usually do so because they are surrounded by a slew of players willing to fall on their sword for said player.

in the end...this could be a huge blessing in disguise if they simply embrace the tank and trade everyone for picks. tank now and draft for 2024-25!!

in 15 months...if wall makes it back for 3 good months.... some fool will trade for him....trade him then.

one report said he took the boot off to walk to the bath. If that is true I think they just used a wrong word when they said slip. He probably accidentally put weight on the wrong foot by accident, it hurt so he fell. From witnessing people getting used to a boot, I can easily picture that happening to anyone. Don't have proof but that's just my theory.
skones
RealGM
And1: 17,105

Post#156 » by skones » Wed Feb 6, 2019 5:37 am

FWIW, the only reason Mirza fell off our cap sheet this season is because he was forced into retirement. Given the nature of this injury, I don't think there's any hope of Wall doing that any time soon. You're likely two years minimum away from that being the case and even then HIGHLY unlikely. Though insurance should cover most of the payments it doesn't help you in the way of team building flexibility.

As a guy who's made a sports related ankle injury MUCH worse after taking the boot off to getting into bed, I don't find the way this was done implausible at all. It's easy to sit there and be like, "HOW DID THIS HAPPEN TOP DOCTORS MEDICINE BAH!" but as a person you never think you're just going to tweak it doing something stupid like washing yourself. **** happens.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,730

Post#157 » by gambitx777 » Wed Feb 6, 2019 7:59 am

stilldropin20 wrote:this is bull crap. professional athlete cant slip and fall and tear an achilles in their house. not possible. something else happened. he jumped, leaped, ran, sprinted, got drunk and tried dunking...something. something else happened.

I don't know what you do for a living. But, I myself am a medical professional. I don't have expertise or in depth knowledge of achilles injuries. But, I am rather versed in bacteria and infections. Surgical sites are tricky because antibiotics are not a magic bullet. certain bacteria are resistant to certain antibiotics. Some bugs can become resistant. Some people don't respond well to certain broad spectrum antibiotics, also there is not a blanket protocol for what doctors do for wound care post surgery in terms of antibacterial usage. It is generally irresponsible to just toss antibiotics into someone who may never get an infection from a surgical site.Every procedure I have ever been had, has been handled differently. You don't know what bacteria infected the site, where it came from. It Could have been hospital acquired, could he could have picked it up elsewhere. Might have been a contamination case, could have been normal flora that took advantage of him being compromised by the procedure. Maybe it was something else. But to blame a guy for getting sick, when you can get an infection easy even with the best and most proper wound care, is the absolute definition of stupid.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#158 » by Ruzious » Wed Feb 6, 2019 9:33 am

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
Ruzious wrote:I mean... how in the frikkin hell does a professional athlete let that happen to him when he knows he has to take the utmost care of his ankle? He still hasn't even reached the start of his 170 mil extension.

And going back before this... how in the hell did John and the team let him play if his ankle was as messed up before the operation?

How does the same organization have the Arenas re-injury and the Wall re-injury?
I have suffered a ruptured left Achilles.

It happened in 2008. Guess what still bothers me with pain and tendinitis? Same heel. Ruzious, think about what you are posting.

Did Kobe or Boogie Cousins let an injury happen? No. Certainly not.

It's the worst of injuries. Not anybody's fault.

S happens, man.

Not sure what you'r point is. He was in quite a different situation - he just had surgery and according to what the doctor said didn't follow insturctions - walking with the boot off - not to mention he's a professional athlete. I've never heard of anyone ever... getting injured that way. With DHall, there wasn't any report that he wasn't following doctor's orders. Fwiw - not much... I had chronic achilles tendonitis myself from long-distance running over a few years - I woke up every day in pain for a year - the tendon was totally warped and looked ridiculous, but when I finally got it looked at and treated, I managed not to slip in my own home and tear it. Of course I feel sorry for him, but in a situation that's so unusual like this, one's gotta question why it happened.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#159 » by Ruzious » Wed Feb 6, 2019 9:40 am

dble post
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#160 » by Ruzious » Wed Feb 6, 2019 9:53 am

payitforward wrote:

Oh stop being sanctimonious. He's getting paid either way, and we're talking about a guy who's already set for life and for generations. The point is that it's possible his negligence led to the achilles tear. It should be okay for fans to discuss that possiblity without others acting like we're inhuman for bringing it up.

Return to Washington Wizards