Nick Foles Informs Eagles He\'ll Void Option For 2019

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Nick Foles Informs Eagles He\'ll Void Option For 2019 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Feb 6, 2019 1:24 pm

Nick Foles has informed the Philadelphia Eagles that he will void his $20 million option for 2019, according to a source.

The Eagles previously notified Foles they would be picking up his option.

Foles must pay the Eagles $2 million to opt out. The team is now expected to place the franchise tag on the quarterback, who is then likely to be shopped in a trade.

The tag number for next season for a quarterback is expected to be around $25 million.

Via Tim McManus/ESPN

Barcs
Veteran
And1: 712

Re: Nick Foles Informs Eagles He\'ll Void Option For 2019 

Post#2 » by Barcs » Wed Feb 6, 2019 5:32 pm

I don't understand this. He rejects the option only to get Franchise tagged for almost the same amount. This is going to backfire on the eagles. Nobody is going to give up a lot for a guy on a franchise tag for 1 year with a fully guaranteed contract.
SELL THE TEAM, JIM!!! :curse:
VancouverRaps
Head Coach
And1: 12,851

Post#3 » by VancouverRaps » Wed Feb 6, 2019 7:07 pm

Barcs wrote:I don't understand this. He rejects the option only to get Franchise tagged for almost the same amount. This is going to backfire on the eagles. Nobody is going to give up a lot for a guy on a franchise tag for 1 year with a fully guaranteed contract.

What other choice do they have? Losing him for nothing would be even worse.
We the Champs
mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,310

Post#4 » by mplsfonz23 » Wed Feb 6, 2019 7:24 pm

Barcs wrote:I don't understand this. He rejects the option only to get Franchise tagged for almost the same amount. This is going to backfire on the eagles. Nobody is going to give up a lot for a guy on a franchise tag for 1 year with a fully guaranteed contract.

I would say 5 million is not "almost the same amount." It was a good play by Foles, he either get an extra 5 mil, or he gets a longer term deal with a fresh start.
Barcs
Veteran

Post#5 » by Barcs » Wed Feb 6, 2019 7:56 pm

NUCKER101 wrote:

What other choice do they have? Losing him for nothing would be even worse.

But can't that screw them if nobody ends up trading? Is it worth the risk of investing $24 of cap space in him and doesn't that hurt their ability to sign other FAs this year?

I'm also genuinely curious why Foles would decline the option when it's almost the same amount. What does he really gain from that?
GaaBaaBoo
Senior
And1: 50

Post#6 » by GaaBaaBoo » Wed Feb 6, 2019 7:58 pm

mplsfonz23 wrote:

I would say 5 million is not "almost the same amount." It was a good play by Foles, he either get an extra 5 mil, or he gets a longer term deal with a fresh start.

Wouldn't he need to pay 2 mil first to void the thing? So he gets extra 3 mil only.
Barcs
Veteran

Post#7 » by Barcs » Wed Feb 6, 2019 7:58 pm

mplsfonz23 wrote:

5 million? The option was $20m and he has to pay $2m to decline it. The franchise tag is about $24m, so it's only a difference of $2m. I guess every little bit helps.
mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,310

Post#8 » by mplsfonz23 » Wed Feb 6, 2019 8:14 pm

GaaBaaBoo wrote:
mplsfonz23 wrote:

Wouldn't he need to pay 2 mil first to void the thing? So he gets extra 3 mil only.

You must be rich when you can use "only" with 3 million dollars. Pretty sure an extra 3 mil is going to help him live a little better.
Barcs
Veteran

Post#9 » by Barcs » Wed Feb 6, 2019 11:52 pm

mplsfonz23 wrote:
GaaBaaBoo wrote:
mplsfonz23 wrote:

You must be rich when you can use "only" with 3 million dollars. Pretty sure an extra 3 mil is going to help him live a little better.

I think he's pretty set regardless of whether he gets $24 or $22 million this year. Something tells me he'll still be able to live just as comfortably as he wants. A couple million seems low when you are talking about players that can make $20-30m annually, but I understand why every little bit helps. It's like negotiating an annual salary difference of 220,000 and 240,000 a year. One would be a fool not to try for the higher

I just don't know how many teams are willing to give up assets for a $24m fully guaranteed contract when he hasn't shown consistency throughout his career. The super bowl win was nice, but he's a very streaky player. He looked pretty bad early in the season.

I could see the Jags doing something that dumb. They trade a first and Foles ending up sucking, and the team is almost as bad as last year. Then they have no first next year to compensate and Foles walks anyway to sign as Philly's backup a year later.

Return to Wiretap Headlines Discussion