ImageImageImage

The Tyler Johnson Thread

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

Fo-Real
General Manager
And1: 4,911

Re: The Tyler Johnson Thread 

Post#21 » by Fo-Real » Fri Feb 8, 2019 1:47 pm

Got no problem with Tyler, if we werent going to buy out Anderson anyway then his contract is a push. People who keep saying he takes anything away money wise arent seeing the fact that WE WERE NOT GOING TO BUY ANDERSON OUT! An UN-bought out Anderson next year would cost us 21.2 mil and Johnson's contract next year costs us 19.2 (I dont know if trade kicker is involved?). That money was going to be on our books anyway, might as well have a dude who actually plays basketball, Anderson luckily for us has not seen the floor in a LOOOOONG time! That being said, we need a floor general. One who we assign to absolutely focus on grooming Ayton and teaching him the nuances of position basketball. Someone who treats him like an understudy, when he does not roll properly on the pick and roll pulls him aside and points the **** out right then and EVERY time ON THE COURT, play by play. Same with other aspects of the two man game, someone like Rondo (not saying I want Rondo specifically, HOLD YOUR FLAME THROWER). Someone who absolutely forces two man game on him and grooms him to form. Screw all this top of the key dribble hand offs, straight two man game to start every play with Ayton and a pg, with everything else (cutters, open shots) coming off of it.
jcsunsfan
Head Coach
And1: 4,822

Post#22 » by jcsunsfan » Fri Feb 8, 2019 2:22 pm

I think someone has given Sarver a dose of reality. Too many teams will have free agent money this summer. The Suns would have to significantly overpay to draw a free agent in that market. But the Suns have assets and can make desires changes through trades.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
MathiasPW
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,805

Post#23 » by MathiasPW » Fri Feb 8, 2019 2:36 pm

Bullets:

- None of his top 10 plays (mostly dunks) were against the Suns! Yay
- Is there a chance where, if he fits in well, he opts out of his PO for a cheaper but longer contract? I mean, the Heat weren't finding many suitors for him in the 1st place, he might value long-term safety. If so, does he become a FA or do we have some sort of bird right and/or cap hold?
- He's a lefty.
- Defense and transition are things Koko has tried to implement (at times, specially during our "win streak"), which makes sense cause it's a system that depends less on stellar playmaking and enhances youth and athleticism.Tyler is a good addition in that context.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,660

Post#24 » by WeekapaugGroove » Fri Feb 8, 2019 2:53 pm

jcsunsfan wrote:I think someone has given Sarver a dose of reality. Too many teams will have free agent money this summer. The Suns would have to significantly overpay to draw a free agent in that market. But the Suns have assets and can make desires changes through trades.

Yeah one of the first things i thought about after this trade was this was be a sign that Jones talked to agents and they aren't getting to the table with any of the max guys so waiving and stretching Anderson immediately in July wasn't something they felt they needed to do. I never thought they would be a player for the max guys because every major market has open max slots so it was going to be a tough summer to get into that game.

Basically I didn't think the Suns had any shot at the top end guys who can get the same contract from multiple teams and they also aren't going to be in the running for the old vets who have made their money and are now ring chasing. But I don't think they will need to significantly over pay when it comes to the middle class type FA's like Rubio, Collison, Joseph, Satoransky, ect. With that class of player they will simply go to a team that gives them the most money and opportunity. You don't need to significantly over pay them you just need to be the highest bidder. And when it comes to PG in this class with Orlando now less of a suitor some of these PG's agents will absolutely target the Suns because they are the best shot to get their client both money and playing time.

Now all of this could change by the start of FA because there will be a handful of PG options available for trade around draft time so they might go that route instead.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#25 » by WeekapaugGroove » Fri Feb 8, 2019 3:26 pm

I want to start by saying I don't think point Booker is the answer long term nor to I think Johnson is a long term answer at all but when it comes to giving point Book one more look Tyler is the right kind of person to play next to him. He can guard PG's, moves well without the ball, and can hit an open 3. That's pretty much what you would want next to point Booker, now someone does all this but who's simply more talented than Johnson would be the route if you did this long term but he kind of has all the traits you would look for in that role.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
jcsunsfan
Head Coach

Post#26 » by jcsunsfan » Fri Feb 8, 2019 6:21 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:I want to start by saying I don't think point Booker is the answer long term nor to I think Johnson is a long term answer at all but when it comes to giving point Book one more look Tyler is the right kind of person to play next to him. He can guard PG's, moves well without the ball, and can hit an open 3. That's pretty much what you would want next to point Booker, now someone does all this but who's simply more talented than Johnson would be the route if you did this long term but he kind of has all the traits you would look for in that role.

The kid is pretty talented and a hard worker. It would be nice if he was better at running an offense. I could see it working out playing next to Book though. At least Tyler will command some attention from opposing defenses.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#27 » by WeekapaugGroove » Fri Feb 8, 2019 11:16 pm

Lol

Read on Twitter

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,613

Post#28 » by lilfishi22 » Fri Feb 8, 2019 11:38 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:Lol

Read on Twitter

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app

That's 5 days after injecting one marijuana
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
jcsunsfan
Head Coach

Post#29 » by jcsunsfan » Sat Feb 9, 2019 12:25 am

I am sorry. It is just one of the worst beards I have ever seen on a human being. Beards are in, I get it, but some people should NOT wear them.
sunskerr
General Manager
And1: 5,340

Post#30 » by sunskerr » Sat Feb 9, 2019 4:43 am

He will be a bench player for us going forward but we need all the depth we can get. He's at least a rotation player in the NBA which is more than we can say for most of our squad, so we actually got a talent upgrade.

The big thing here to keep in mind is that we no longer need to play Melton, Okobo and Crawford any significant minutes.
DroughtsOverPHX
Junior
And1: 357

Post#31 » by DroughtsOverPHX » Sat Feb 9, 2019 2:11 pm

jcsunsfan wrote:I am sorry. It is just one of the worst beards I have ever seen on a human being. Beards are in, I get it, but some people should NOT wear them.

I don't see it as homeless or even hipster. It's something a bit more magical.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,365

Post#32 » by bwgood77 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:11 am

Read on Twitter
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,799

Post#33 » by Saberestar » Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:43 pm

RunDogGun
No Sham, More Cam
And1: 5,437

Post#34 » by RunDogGun » Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:37 pm

Well being one of the more critical people here on Tyler (well really only his shooting and his contract), I have to say he had a good game the other night. I hope he can keep it up.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#35 » by WeekapaugGroove » Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:56 pm

Some good quotes from Johnson in this: https://theathletic.com/842610/2019/02/28/heat-check-weekly-dwyane-wade-changed-my-life-booker-says/

Before the Suns left for their recently completed road trip, Tyler Johnson had a candid message for his new teammates. The outside perception, Johnson said, is that as long as an opponent plays hard for 48 minutes, Phoenix will eventually give up.
Johnson said he was so direct because “I’m in it now, too.” He acquired that knowledge and experience while immersed in Miami’s culture for four-plus seasons before being traded to Phoenix at the deadline.
An example? While out with a torn rotator cuff for half of his rookie season, Johnson would sit with Chris Bosh — who had just been diagnosed with blood clots — and dissect film before every Heat game.
“It’s a whole other side of basketball,” Johnson said, “that, when you’re young, you’re like, ‘This doesn’t even make any sense.’ It’s like a different language. Luckily, I had people ahead of me, and that’s what I’m trying to do is just pass down what I’ve learned from them.”

And off the floor, Johnson is not afraid to keep having “difficult conversations” with his new teammates.
“There’s gonna be a lot of things that we don’t want to talk about or don’t want to address,” Johnson said. “It’s not finger-pointing. It’s just these are the things (that are the difference between winning and losing).
“It’s not me nit-picking at you. It’s just that we need a little bit more attention to detail during this play, so that doesn’t happen and understanding that nobody is picking at somebody.”
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#36 » by Saberestar » Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:59 pm

Tyler Johnson has been a great addition for the Suns.
He has played already 12 games for us and these are his raw stats:

10.8 points, 4.0 rebounds, 4.3 assists, 1.2 steals and just 0.8 turnovers per game.

0.8 turnovers per game is amazing for a guy who is playing PG and averaging over 31 mpg.
Frank Lee
RealGM
And1: 9,145

Post#37 » by Frank Lee » Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:17 pm

You bird in the hand this dude... reset his deal to 4 X 44 with a descending pay out. Hes a keeper for his on the court and locker room impact.
What ? Me Worry ?
cberry78
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,420

Post#38 » by cberry78 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:54 pm

Frank Lee wrote:You bird in the hand this dude... reset his deal to 4 X 44 with a descending pay out. Hes a keeper for his on the court and locker room impact.

Can this be done with the 4th year a team option? Guarantee him more than 19 mil over the first 3 years, so he has more security, and the last year can be picked up later?
"Never argue with an idiot. You'll never convince the idiot that you're correct, and bystanders won't be able to tell who's who." - Mark Twain
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,613

Post#39 » by lilfishi22 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:04 pm

cberry78 wrote:
Frank Lee wrote:You bird in the hand this dude... reset his deal to 4 X 44 with a descending pay out. Hes a keeper for his on the court and locker room impact.

Can this be done with the 4th year a team option? Guarantee him more than 19 mil over the first 3 years, so he has more security, and the last year can be picked up later?

If you can get him to agree (with or without the TO) that would be great but I don't see why a guy his age would give up on $19m for a 4/44 kind of deal. If he could make 4/44 now, he could probably make 4/44 next off season. For him to agree to something long term (and reduce our cap figure this off season) he's probably going to need closer to 4/60 to be worth his time.
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#40 » by Saberestar » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:46 pm

Read on Twitter

Return to Phoenix Suns