Russell Westbrook Sets NBA Record With 10th Straight Triple-Double

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 291

Russell Westbrook Sets NBA Record With 10th Straight Triple-Double 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:22 am

Russell Westbrook set a new NBA record with his 10th consecutive triple-double in a 120-111 win over the Portland Trail Blazers.

Westbrook had 21 points, 14 rebounds, and 15 assists in the game. He broke Wilt Chamberlain's record of consecutive triple-doubles in a season.

The Thunder are 17-6 when Westbrook has a triple-double this season, and are 103-24 over his career when he posts a triple-double.

Via NBA.com

dzumaal
Junior
And1: 324

Re: Russell Westbrook Sets NBA Record With 10th Straight Triple-Double 

Post#2 » by dzumaal » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:52 pm

Impressive? Yes. Surprising at this point? No.
benhillboy
Sixth Man
And1: 1,635

Post#3 » by benhillboy » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:52 pm

The first names that come to mind when I think triple doubles are Grant Hill and Jason Kidd. They attained them out of supremely intelligent floor games and high IQ approach to the 5-on-5 concept. I’m sure neither could care less about their stat sheets during or after the games. I don’t think I could say the same about Russ. His triple double efforts are 85% physical ability. Coming from a guy who struggles to hit free throws it’s tough to swallow as some sort of great basketball accomplishment, especially when Wilt and his competition are seen as a great outlier.
taikibansei
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,633

Post#4 » by taikibansei » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:00 pm

benhillboy wrote:The first names that come to mind when I think triple doubles are Grant Hill and Jason Kidd. They attained them out of supremely intelligent floor games and high IQ approach to the 5-on-5 concept. I’m sure neither could care less about their stat sheets during or after the games. I don’t think I could say the same about Russ. His triple double efforts are 85% physical ability. Coming from a guy who struggles to hit free throws it’s tough to swallow as some sort of great basketball accomplishment, especially when Wilt and his competition are seen as a great outlier.

The hate is strong with this one....
THIN MAN HAS NO HEART!
macNcheese3
RealGM
And1: 6,915

Post#5 » by macNcheese3 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:51 pm

Triple doubles don’t seem as great as they once use too
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,494

Post#6 » by dice » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:16 pm

macNcheese3 wrote:Triple doubles don’t seem as great as they once use too

they're not. because players are actively seeking them to the detriment of their teams

i wish human beings had 6 fingers on each hand so we could stop with all this triple-double talk
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
arasu
Rookie
And1: 147

Post#7 » by arasu » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:29 pm

benhillboy wrote:The first names that come to mind when I think triple doubles are Grant Hill and Jason Kidd. They attained them out of supremely intelligent floor games and high IQ approach to the 5-on-5 concept. I’m sure neither could care less about their stat sheets during or after the games. I don’t think I could say the same about Russ. His triple double efforts are 85% physical ability. Coming from a guy who struggles to hit free throws it’s tough to swallow as some sort of great basketball accomplishment, especially when Wilt and his competition are seen as a great outlier.

There is something to be said about how today's pace, lack of defense, and guard oriented offenses inflates Westbrook's stats compared to other eras. The 60's would be the only era with comparably inflated stats. That said, Westbrook is averaging a career best assist to turnover ratio, and he is a major focus of opposing defenses that are specifically designed to reduce his efficiency. I think we need to appreciate this dude as a great PG, and leave it there. There are plenty of super quick and athletic players who can't do what he does. His timing and ability to read the floor is elite no matter what era we compare him with.
Rek
Senior
And1: 128

Post#8 » by Rek » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:13 pm

dice wrote:

they're not. because players are actively seeking them to the detriment of their teams

i wish human beings had 6 fingers on each hand so we could stop with all this triple-double talk

Plus the rules have been changed to make it far easier for players to achieve these days. Plug Russ into a team back in the 80's or 90's and let's see how his stats shake out. He'd still be a great player. But, there would be a significant difference.
dice
RealGM

Post#9 » by dice » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:18 pm

Rek wrote:
dice wrote:

Plus the rules have been changed to make it far easier for players to achieve these days.

i'm not sure that's true. it's certainly not easier to get rebounds. and scoring 10 points is rarely a hurdle when it comes to triple-doubles (unless you're jason kidd). are scorekeepers more generous with assists now? maybe so
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,310

Post#10 » by mplsfonz23 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:52 pm

Yeah considering PG13 had one in the same game. His was more impressive.
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,010

Post#11 » by Lalouie » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:35 pm

that's because westbrook made it so.
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,010

Post#12 » by Lalouie » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:43 pm

Rek wrote:
dice wrote:

Plus the rules have been changed to make it far easier for players to achieve these days. Plug Russ into a team back in the 80's or 90's and let's see how his stats shake out. He'd still be a great player. But, there would be a significant difference.

then don't compare rw to the past eras!! compare him to his peers like you should be doing. lebron f'ing has never even SNIFFED a season average tripleD, nor cp3, nor harden, nor anybody....nobody today comes close.

how come you all are so eager to ask if a past star could play in today's game and yet when it comes to rw you're all asking if he could play yesterday's game??

lebron averages a wimpy 7.5 apg on a year in year out basis. he's 6'8" 260 and he can't even average double digits in rebounding. he's too damn busy worrying about his ppg
dice
RealGM

Post#13 » by dice » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:16 pm

Lalouie wrote:
Rek wrote:
dice wrote:they're not. because players are actively seeking them to the detriment of their teams

then don't compare rw to the past eras!! compare him to his peers like you should be doing. lebron f'ing has never even SNIFFED a season average tripleD, nor cp3, nor harden, nor anybody....nobody today comes close.

how come you all are so eager to ask if a past star could play in today's game and yet when it comes to rw you're all asking if he could play yesterday's game??

lebron averages a wimpy 7.5 apg on a year in year out basis. he's 6'8" 260 and he can't even average double digits in rebounding. he's too damn busy worrying about his ppg

this is one of THE most misguided posts i have ever read

lebron doesn't give two s***s about his PPG. if he did he'd be averaging 30 every year. and rebounding has NOTHING to do with points! if anything, focusing on getting ORBs INCREASES a player's ability to score points

and you're seriously calling 7.5 assists per game wimpy? and for a guy as big as lebron? he's a more than willing passer and has excellent court vision. this has been the case since he was in high school and has always been widely acknowledged. what planet are you on?!

westbrook is a triple-double hunter. it's beyond obvious. if he's near a triple-double at the end of a game he and his team do everything possible to make it happen
Heat_team02
RealGM
And1: 2,895

Post#14 » by Heat_team02 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:13 am

Westbrook is the Mini Harden or is Harden the Mini Westbrook?
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Plutonashfan
Analyst
And1: 3,116

Post#15 » by Plutonashfan » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:23 am

WTF is wrong with you? Do you beat kittens. Like seriously you sound sad AF. WOOOOOWWW.
The Champ is HERE!!!

Return to Wiretap Discussion