ImageImageImageImageImage

Woj: Jeremy Lin to be bought out and sign with Toronto

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

nabbs
RealGM
And1: 19,365

Re: Woj: Jeremy Lin to be bought out and sign with Toronto 

Post#721 » by nabbs » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:35 pm

steady wrote:
TrustFundBaby wrote:
SFour wrote:Here's Delon vs Lin comparison.

Delon was a strong defender though

Idk about Lins defense

the offensive stats suggest he's a big upgrade on Delon

Steve Clifford says his defense is what Hornets missed most. His defense was why they could have him close next to Kemba. Will give Nurse a lot of options.

https://soaringdownsouth.com/2019/02/11/atlanta-hawks-jeremy-lin-sign-raptors-linsanity/

According to BBall Index’s sortable player grades, Lin grades out with an A in the perimeter defense and playmaking categories – the only player on the Atlanta Hawks to receive such high scores in both areas. Beyond that, the grades give Lin an A- in post play, a B+ in finishing and a B in one-on-one offense.

2018 My Top Guys (no particular order): Doncic, JJJ, Zhaire Smith, Miles Bridges, Knox, Wendell, Bamba, Ayton, Sexton, Brown, Huerter, Okogie, Svi,
LiSTWithLani
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,151

Re: Woj: Lin to Toronto 

Post#722 » by LiSTWithLani » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:35 pm

mtcan wrote:
lstern wrote:
SHFT wrote:I was at this game! My buddy bought tix for my bday...we had no idea it was Valentine's day lmao.

Sent from my LG-H915 using RealGM mobile app

Me too, I was at the game, as I'm usually gifted tickets on the 13th (my birthday - tomorrow)!

Rewatching that clip over and over again...it was truly a unique experience. But let's analyze that moment in time a bit deeper:

1) Look at that line-up on the floor to close a game: Jose Calderon, Demar DeRozan, Leandro Barbosa, Linas Kleiza, Amir Johnson...and compare with the closing line-up last evening. We have come a LONG way since then. Can you make out who was on the bench? I see Andrea Bargnani in street clothes, Joey Graham and Aaron Gray...amongst others. Then there's Sam Mitchell in his oversized suit and TV Tom Sterner (miss that guy still!). Those truly were dark days....

2) And check out Landry Fields when he was still useful. Little did Steve Novak know...he would be a part of Raptors history in another year as part of a package in the infamous Andrea Bargnani trade.

3) And remember the days when the reason to go to a Raptors game was to see and cheer for the other team's players? ACC blew UP when Lin hit that shot. All the Asians stood up in anticipation of the big shot...all the Tawianese flags flying. I guess for the next few months...all of those fans will be in sync with the rest of the home crowd.

Coach: Mitchell
Johnson/ Gray
Bargnani/ Kleiza
DeRozan/ Graham
Barbosa/ Fields
Calderon/ ?

Coach: Nurse
Gasol/ Ibaka
Siakam/ Anunoby/ Boucher
Leonard/ Powell/ Miller
Green/ VanVleet/ McLemore
Lowry/ Lin/ V^V
(Rumours of Markieff Morris joining us)

*Started from the bottom...
nabbs
RealGM

Post#723 » by nabbs » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:35 pm

For those who claim Lin is a sieve defensively

https://soaringdownsouth.com/2019/02/11/atlanta-hawks-jeremy-lin-sign-raptors-linsanity/

According to BBall Index’s sortable player grades, Lin grades out with an A in the perimeter defense and playmaking categories – the only player on the Atlanta Hawks to receive such high scores in both areas. Beyond that, the grades give Lin an A- in post play, a B+ in finishing and a B in one-on-one offense.

2018 My Top Guys (no particular order): Doncic, JJJ, Zhaire Smith, Miles Bridges, Knox, Wendell, Bamba, Ayton, Sexton, Brown, Huerter, Okogie, Svi,
mtcan
RealGM
And1: 20,432

Post#724 » by mtcan » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:37 pm

lstern wrote:
mtcan wrote:
lstern wrote:Me too, I was at the game, as I'm usually gifted tickets on the 13th (my birthday - tomorrow)!

Rewatching that clip over and over again...it was truly a unique experience. But let's analyze that moment in time a bit deeper:

1) Look at that line-up on the floor to close a game: Jose Calderon, Demar DeRozan, Leandro Barbosa, Linas Kleiza, Amir Johnson...and compare with the closing line-up last evening. We have come a LONG way since then. Can you make out who was on the bench? I see Andrea Bargnani in street clothes, Joey Graham and Aaron Gray...amongst others. Then there's Sam Mitchell in his oversized suit and TV Tom Sterner (miss that guy still!). Those truly were dark days....

2) And check out Landry Fields when he was still useful. Little did Steve Novak know...he would be a part of Raptors history in another year as part of a package in the infamous Andrea Bargnani trade.

3) And remember the days when the reason to go to a Raptors game was to see and cheer for the other team's players? ACC blew UP when Lin hit that shot. All the Asians stood up in anticipation of the big shot...all the Tawianese flags flying. I guess for the next few months...all of those fans will be in sync with the rest of the home crowd.

Johnson/ Gray
Bargnani/ Kleiza
DeRozan/ Graham
Barbosa/ Fields
Calderon/ ?

Gasol/ Ibaka
Siakam/ Anunoby/ Boucher
Leonard/ Powell/ Miller
Lowry/ Lin/ V^V

No Fields on the Raptors yet...he's in a Knicks uniform in that clip. But 5 months later.....
firelogic
Senior
And1: 740

Post#725 » by firelogic » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:41 pm

HEKTOR wrote:When is this expected to be official?

Kingsway_fan wrote:Does he playwednesday?

He clears waivers at 5pm Wed. He can play against Washington. There was speculation that the Raps may not sign him until after the break to save 170k but since FVV is out, they'll probably take the hit and have him available against the Wizards is my guess.
LiSTWithLani
Lead Assistant

Post#726 » by LiSTWithLani » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:45 pm

mtcan wrote:
lstern wrote:
mtcan wrote:

Johnson/ Gray
Bargnani/ Kleiza
DeRozan/ Graham
Barbosa/ Fields
Calderon/ ?

Gasol/ Ibaka
Siakam/ Anunoby/ Boucher
Leonard/ Powell/ Miller
Lowry/ Lin/ V^V

No Fields on the Raptors yet...he's in a Knicks uniform in that clip. But 5 months later.....

:thumbsup: Thanks for clarifying my poor reading comprehension haha

Point remains, we have become uber talented and not only on one side of the ball!
SFour
RealGM
And1: 58,421

Post#727 » by SFour » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:48 pm

I see some fans that think Lin will be a 3rd stringer behind FVV.....do they not realize we’ve been running 2-pg lineups all season.
mtcan
RealGM
And1: 20,432

Post#728 » by mtcan » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:48 pm

lstern wrote:
mtcan wrote:
lstern wrote:
Johnson/ Gray
Bargnani/ Kleiza
DeRozan/ Graham
Barbosa/ Fields
Calderon/ ?

Gasol/ Ibaka
Siakam/ Anunoby/ Boucher
Leonard/ Powell/ Miller
Lowry/ Lin/ V^V

:thumbsup: Thanks for clarifying my poor reading comprehension haha

Point remains, we have become uber talented and not only on one side of the ball!

And I stand corrected...that's Dwane Casey in that huge suit. LOL
nabbs
RealGM

Post#729 » by nabbs » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:49 pm

SFour wrote:I see some fans that think Lin will be a 3rd stringer behind FVV.....do they not realize we’ve been running 2-pg lineups all season.

He takes Delon's spot which means Norm moves up to 3 unless Nurse loves Mccaw that much. What probably ends up happening while fred is out we go Lin/Mccaw/Norm/OG/Gasol and once Fred comes back, Mccaw is the odd man out

raptorstime
RealGM
And1: 43,280

Post#730 » by raptorstime » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:02 pm

nabbs wrote:For those who claim Lin is a sieve defensively

thats amazing nabbs, im excited
Bankai
RealGM
And1: 26,485

Post#731 » by Bankai » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:16 pm

Lots of people who have followed Lin claim he is actually a capable man on man defender, its his help defense and P&R defense that has issues. What he brings to the Raptors on offense will counter any lack of lateral quickness he might have. Especially if Ibaka, Powell, OG, is on the floor with him.
Double Helix
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 28,754

Post#732 » by Double Helix » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:21 pm

SFour wrote:I see some fans that think Lin will be a 3rd stringer behind FVV.....do they not realize we’ve been running 2-pg lineups all season.

It’s true. Lin can function as a combo guard SG when not playing PG. Depending on his hair style he can be anywhere from 6’3 to 6’5.
And1Skip
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,742

Post#733 » by And1Skip » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:23 pm

firelogic wrote:
HEKTOR wrote:When is this expected to be official?

Kingsway_fan wrote:Does he playwednesday?

He clears waivers at 5pm Wed. He can play against Washington. There was speculation that the Raps may not sign him until after the break to save 170k but since FVV is out, they'll probably take the hit and have him available against the Wizards is my guess.

LOL that's funny, the $$$ MLSE will make from merchandise for the next 2 weeks if Lin starts playing tomorrow will far exceed $170K.
LiSTWithLani
Lead Assistant

Post#734 » by LiSTWithLani » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:23 pm

Bankai wrote:Lots of people who have followed Lin claim he is actually a capable man on man defender, its his help defense and P&R defense that has issues. What he brings to the Raptors on offense will counter any lack of lateral quickness he might have. Especially if Ibaka, Powell, OG, is on the floor with him.

People rarely play P&R defense anymore. Everything is switched these days, it actually boggles my mind! I'm from the fight through, stay with your man era. Today, these guys have every trick in the book to get a foul call, so instead coaches insist on switching, fair enough. I'm not worried about his defense, our team is full of incredible defenders:
Gasol/ Ibaka/ Siakam/ OG/ Leonard/ Green/ Powell/ McCaw/ Lowry/ FVV
nabbs
RealGM

Post#735 » by nabbs » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:24 pm

Bankai wrote:Lots of people who have followed Lin claim he is actually a capable man on man defender, its his help defense and P&R defense that has issues. What he brings to the Raptors on offense will counter any lack of lateral quickness he might have. Especially if Ibaka, Powell, OG, is on the floor with him.

Just means Lin and Ibaka probably cannot play together all that much. Can't have both guard and screen defender being poor PnR defenders. Recipe for disaster

Grape
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,247

Post#736 » by Grape » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:37 pm

Lin is quite honestly a shell of himself athletically. He's gone from being one of the most athletic players in his prime (with measureables comparable to John Wall), to one of the more athletic players in recent years, and now to basically being one of the most unathletic players in the NBA.

Even last year before his injury his playing style was as a slasher and finisher who could occasionally pull up for three. Now he's become a much more finesse based player who will maneuver through pick and rolls and relies on his short range floaters/jumpers and layups to score a majority of his points.
MEDIC
RealGM
And1: 8,968

Post#737 » by MEDIC » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:43 pm

kieferli wrote:
Read on Twitter

Haha. Sweet! Congrats!

Great work you big Lithuanian you!
* Props to the man, the myth, the legend......TZ.
everdiso
General Manager
And1: 10,125

Post#738 » by everdiso » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:46 pm

Lin is a truly terrible defender, but we have a bunch of great defenders on the bench so nurse should be able to mix and match as needed.

Lin-Ibaka should be a nice PnR combo offensively off the bench.
"I wasn't gonna act surprised - cuz I wasn't surprised."
Grape
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,247

Post#739 » by Grape » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:49 pm

everdiso wrote:Lin is a truly terrible defender, but we have a bunch of great defenders on the bench so nurse should be able to mix and match as needed.

Lin-Ibaka should be a nice PnR combo offensively off the bench.

I think he's regressed defensively as a result of regressed athleticism - and it seems that way through the eye test. However his defensive advanced metrics are pretty good somehow if I remember correctly. He takes charges and has active hands but his lateral quickness is a weakness now.
And1Skip
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,742

Post#740 » by And1Skip » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:54 pm

https://www.forbes.com/sites/howardmegdal/2019/02/11/for-jeremy-lin-joining-toronto-raptors-will-pay-off-this-summer/#4fbf99e71ca8

But consider also the strengths Lin brings that far outpace what VanVleet has posted so far this season. Lowry is an elite finisher, in efficiency if not volume — 18.1 percent of his attempts are inside of three feet from the hoop, and he's shooting 64.9 percent on those attempts. VanVleet gets to the basket more — 25.2 percent of his attempts from inside three feet — but he's making just 50.3 percent of them, a huge dropoff from Lowry. Lin? 30.3 percent of his attempts are inside of three feet, and he's making 62.4 percent of those attempts. He remains one of the best in the league at getting those buckets at the rim on the drive, the engine of his Linsanity period.

Lin also edges VanVleet on assist percentage, rebound percentage, steal percentage — in virtually every way, Lin is an upgrade right now for a team with title aspirations. Moreover, VanVleet's availability is in question, as he'll be out for at least the next three weeks with an undisclosed ligament injury. Still, as long as Lin plays at the same level he's displayed in Atlanta, don't expect VanVleet to get those minutes back once he returns.

Now consider this from a Lin free agency perspective. In a contract season, Lin showed that he can come to a young team and provide wisdom and leadership in a losing situation. Now he gets to prove that he can play important minutes in a key role for a winning team. This is no small thing for the well-traveled Lin, who is likely to play multiple rounds in the playoffs for the first time in his career.

That makes his market virtually the entire NBA as we hit a summer with many teams both looking for point guards and with money to spend.

Return to Toronto Raptors