ImageImageImageImageImage

Woj: Jeremy Lin to be bought out and sign with Toronto

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

PhilBlackson
RealGM
And1: 42,235

Re: Woj: Jeremy Lin to be bought out and sign with Toronto 

Post#801 » by PhilBlackson » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:28 am

Inevitable wrote:
Psubs wrote:
Read on Twitter

Raptors’ Head Coach Nick Nurse is David Nurse’s uncle. David is a close friend of Jeremy & David was the shooting coach for Nets when Lin joined Nets in 2016. David & Lin hang out a lot (see below)! I like this connection. Thanks to @CrazySweets678 for this information.

Apologize ahead of time but reminded me of this lol...

>>>SCOTTIEALLSTARSEASON<<< -- U KNOW THE VIBEZ :guitar: Club Shai Shai
Taking names of who OG will be better than Shaedon: DelAbbott, ThaCynic, pingpongrac, Los_29, OakleyDokley
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,331

Post#802 » by WuTang_OG » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:02 am

It's like JV died for us to get Lin

:(
StopitLeo
RealGM
And1: 6,605

Post#803 » by StopitLeo » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:08 am

Lord_Zedd wrote:
jas99_ca wrote:Wow JV is not even in the ground as yet and raptors letting someone else wear his number

Read on Twitter

Pretty classy of him to ask Jonas.
NBJ13
Head Coach
And1: 7,194

Post#804 » by NBJ13 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:25 am

anotherhomer wrote:having watching Jeremy lin from his earlier days, he dealt with a lot of officiating bias (i don't want to say the R word) but, with a John wall type of athletism, i felt he could had been an all-star early on in his career

Green font?
StopitLeo
RealGM

Post#805 » by StopitLeo » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:27 am

And1Skip wrote:https://www.forbes.com/sites/howardmegdal/2019/02/11/for-jeremy-lin-joining-toronto-raptors-will-pay-off-this-summer/#4fbf99e71ca8

But consider also the strengths Lin brings that far outpace what VanVleet has posted so far this season. Lowry is an elite finisher, in efficiency if not volume — 18.1 percent of his attempts are inside of three feet from the hoop, and he's shooting 64.9 percent on those attempts. VanVleet gets to the basket more — 25.2 percent of his attempts from inside three feet — but he's making just 50.3 percent of them, a huge dropoff from Lowry. Lin? 30.3 percent of his attempts are inside of three feet, and he's making 62.4 percent of those attempts. He remains one of the best in the league at getting those buckets at the rim on the drive, the engine of his Linsanity period.

Lin also edges VanVleet on assist percentage, rebound percentage, steal percentage — in virtually every way, Lin is an upgrade right now for a team with title aspirations. Moreover, VanVleet's availability is in question, as he'll be out for at least the next three weeks with an undisclosed ligament injury. Still, as long as Lin plays at the same level he's displayed in Atlanta, don't expect VanVleet to get those minutes back once he returns.

Now consider this from a Lin free agency perspective. In a contract season, Lin showed that he can come to a young team and provide wisdom and leadership in a losing situation. Now he gets to prove that he can play important minutes in a key role for a winning team. This is no small thing for the well-traveled Lin, who is likely to play multiple rounds in the playoffs for the first time in his career.

That makes his market virtually the entire NBA as we hit a summer with many teams both looking for point guards and with money to spend.

Thanks for posting this. It would be pretty interesting if he can out play Fred since the playoffs are not going to help him get to the rim and finish any better (Fred that is). Lin just needs to make some more 3s, which I think he will do as the looks he will get here will probably be better than those with the Hawks.

I wouldn't wish injuries on anyone but the timing of Fred's is pretty fortuitous in terms of letting Lin get minutes.

Seriously, did we just fix a bunch of deficiencies and upgrade our C and backup PG without giving up anything significant? We had PF depth issues before the trade deadline so that's not new. Guess that's the last thing on Masai/Bobby's list (here's hoping Miller can make some 3s).
anotherhomer
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,992

Post#806 » by anotherhomer » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:37 am

NBJ13 wrote:
anotherhomer wrote:having watching Jeremy lin from his earlier days, he dealt with a lot of officiating bias (i don't want to say the R word) but, with a John wall type of athletism, i felt he could had been an all-star early on in his career

Green font?

i'm kinda serious..but it's just my opinion ok
LoveMyRaps
RealGM
And1: 42,819

Post#807 » by LoveMyRaps » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:40 am

NBJ13 wrote:

Green font?

he's saying IF he were to have john wall type of athleticism, not that he does.
In Masai We Trust :meditate:
ThemCrookedRefs
Head Coach
And1: 11,190

Post#808 » by ThemCrookedRefs » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:04 am

FrozenLeafz wrote:
Scott Hall wrote:
Read on Twitter

Damn, I forgot I photoshopped that. lol
Roy Tarpley
Veteran
And1: 987

Post#809 » by Roy Tarpley » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:49 am

anotherhomer wrote:
NBJ13 wrote:

Green font?

From Michael Lewis’s “The Undoing Project”:

“[Lin] lit up our model,” said Morey. “Our model said take him with, like, the 15th pick in the draft.” The objective measurement of Jeremy Lin didn’t square with what the experts saw when they watched him play; a not terribly athletic Asian kid. Morey hadn’t completely trusted his model - and so had chickened out and not drafted Lin. A year after the Houston Rockets failed to draft Jeremy Lin, they began to measure the speed of a player’s first two steps: Jeremy Lin had the quickest first move of any player measured. He was explosive and was able to change direction far more quickly than most NBA players. “He’s incredibly athletic,” said Morey. “But the reality is that every **** person, including me, thought he was unathletic. And I can’t think of any reason for it other than he was Asian.”

Of course, this is all moot after the patellar tendon rupture.
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM
And1: 21,155

Post#810 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:52 am

StopitLeo wrote:
Lord_Zedd wrote:
jas99_ca wrote:Wow JV is not even in the ground as yet and raptors letting someone else wear his number

Read on Twitter

Pretty classy of him to ask Jonas.

Jonas' corpse is still warm.... :lol:
raf1995 wrote:I just don’t think he has that kind of potential. I think we will regret not trading him for a haul in a few years when he’s a mid-tier starter with nice playmaking and defense and a shaky jumper.
niQ
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 29,213

Post#811 » by niQ » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:59 am

Roy Tarpley wrote:
anotherhomer wrote:
NBJ13 wrote:
Green font?

From Michael Lewis’s “The Undoing Project”:

“[Lin] lit up our model,” said Morey. “Our model said take him with, like, the 15th pick in the draft.” The objective measurement of Jeremy Lin didn’t square with what the experts saw when they watched him play; a not terribly athletic Asian kid. Morey hadn’t completely trusted his model - and so had chickened out and not drafted Lin. A year after the Houston Rockets failed to draft Jeremy Lin, they began to measure the speed of a player’s first two steps: Jeremy Lin had the quickest first move of any player measured. He was explosive and was able to change direction far more quickly than most NBA players. “He’s incredibly athletic,” said Morey. “But the reality is that every **** person, including me, thought he was unathletic. And I can’t think of any reason for it other than he was Asian.”

Of course, this is all moot after the patellar tendon rupture.

https://m.scmp.com/sport/other-sport/article/2170300/deceptive-jeremy-lin-freakish-john-wall-and-why-we-need-mind-our

“Everything I’ve always done has been deceptive,” Atlanta Hawks guard Jeremy Lin told Stephen J Dubner in his recent interview with Freakonomics Radio. “So I’ve never been athletic, I’ve just been deceptively athletic. I’ve never been quick, I’ve only been deceptively quick.”

He’s talking about the view of him as an Asian-American, something which has shaped the way he has been described as a player. Never mind that he was tied with John Wall for speed when his numbers from the 2012 Portland Invitational Combine were compared, it was always “deceptive” with Lin, while African-American Wall got different descriptors.

“People call him freakishly athletic, freakishly quick and then I’m deceptively quick or deceptively athletic,” Lin explained.

But yes, this was before the injury.
cdnsailor
Sophomore
And1: 153

Post#812 » by cdnsailor » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:00 am

FrozenLeafz wrote:
Scott Hall wrote:
Read on Twitter

Pops ... he was one heck of a player for us off the bench !
TinmanZBoy
Head Coach
And1: 4,701

Post#813 » by TinmanZBoy » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:37 am

I am not kidding.... i always thought Nick Nurse was Lin's shooting coach, who suddenly became Toronto head coach..
Hi Clutchie, I love you... :kiss
sidsid
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,221

Post#814 » by sidsid » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:48 am

StopitLeo wrote:
And1Skip wrote:https://www.forbes.com/sites/howardmegdal/2019/02/11/for-jeremy-lin-joining-toronto-raptors-will-pay-off-this-summer/#4fbf99e71ca8

But consider also the strengths Lin brings that far outpace what VanVleet has posted so far this season. Lowry is an elite finisher, in efficiency if not volume — 18.1 percent of his attempts are inside of three feet from the hoop, and he's shooting 64.9 percent on those attempts. VanVleet gets to the basket more — 25.2 percent of his attempts from inside three feet — but he's making just 50.3 percent of them, a huge dropoff from Lowry. Lin? 30.3 percent of his attempts are inside of three feet, and he's making 62.4 percent of those attempts. He remains one of the best in the league at getting those buckets at the rim on the drive, the engine of his Linsanity period.

Lin also edges VanVleet on assist percentage, rebound percentage, steal percentage — in virtually every way, Lin is an upgrade right now for a team with title aspirations. Moreover, VanVleet's availability is in question, as he'll be out for at least the next three weeks with an undisclosed ligament injury. Still, as long as Lin plays at the same level he's displayed in Atlanta, don't expect VanVleet to get those minutes back once he returns.

Now consider this from a Lin free agency perspective. In a contract season, Lin showed that he can come to a young team and provide wisdom and leadership in a losing situation. Now he gets to prove that he can play important minutes in a key role for a winning team. This is no small thing for the well-traveled Lin, who is likely to play multiple rounds in the playoffs for the first time in his career.

That makes his market virtually the entire NBA as we hit a summer with many teams both looking for point guards and with money to spend.

Thanks for posting this. It would be pretty interesting if he can out play Fred since the playoffs are not going to help him get to the rim and finish any better (Fred that is). Lin just needs to make some more 3s, which I think he will do as the looks he will get here will probably be better than those with the Hawks.

I wouldn't wish injuries on anyone but the timing of Fred's is pretty fortuitous in terms of letting Lin get minutes.

Seriously, did we just fix a bunch of deficiencies and upgrade our C and backup PG without giving up anything significant? We had PF depth issues before the trade deadline so that's not new. Guess that's the last thing on Masai/Bobby's list (here's hoping Miller can make some 3s).

I don't think it's a matter of outplaying Fred. It's just replacing his role as the PG. Fred is fine as an off-ball player and with Lowry, Gasol and Lin on the roster, there should be no more excuses to not put him in that role full time. He should basically be our upgraded Miles now (an off-ball shooter who can actually dribble when run off the line).

Now he's fighting with Norm for SG minutes, and knowing Nurse, it's a fight Norm will lose no matter how he plays, but at least we don't get the bad version of FVV anymore (the overdribling, bad playmaking one).
Grape
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,247

Post#815 » by Grape » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:02 am

NBJ13 wrote:

Green font?

His combine measureables with Wall were almost identical I believe. There's a stigma with Asians being unathletic so people were quick to label him as a shooter when in fact shooting was his weakness and the main thing that got him into the league was his athleticism.

His peak athletic period was when he was with Houston, where he seemed to frequently attempt layups jumping from the elbow. And then there was this.

Anatomize
General Manager
And1: 6,167

Post#816 » by Anatomize » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:00 am

I don't get people who call Lin overrated, I just have to think it has to do with the opinion that he was overhyped after that Knicks run. This guy can be a very decent starter, he's already one of if not the best and most productive backups in the league.

He's never even been on a winning team, he's constantly surrounded by crappy teams, organizations, players. He's essentially a better version of Fred, so it's great that we get him while Fred is down because there is no loss there.

One thing that stands out to me about him is his in-between game. He plays the pick and roll very well, operates in the mid range and with floaters, puts defenders on his hip, good pull ups, he knows how to shift around screens and get a low base, he also averages good assist numbers from this because he generates kickouts off picks or backdoor passes. He reminds me of a lite version of Jrue Holiday.

We've needed a guy who can hit floaters and mid rangers off picks, we don't have a guard like that currently. Fred takes a little bit longer to set up his jumper, his inbetween game isn't as strong as Lin's. So I'm excited for this because we have people who operate in 3 point space, deep post, and now we have a guy for top of the key mid range operation where we can extend everyone out around it. Going to be real interesting.

He's crafty as well, can finish through contact, good isolation game. He averages 1.41 points per possession this year which puts him right next to Siakam and Karl Anthony Towns, Blake Griffin, and Dinwiddie. His true shooting percentage has him tied with Embiid, and right next to LeBron James. He's top 50 in the league in TS.

I like that he pushes as soon as he gets the ball, he helps speed up the tempo, he finishes well in transition and throws some nice alley oop lobs, sure some of that is by design since the Hawks have one of the highest paces in the league, but it shows he's a well conditioned athlete and he can help us push the ball more by setting the tempo as the lead guard off the bench, we have enough athletes that we should be running consistently, and we're very good at finishing on the fast break.

He gives us an additional shot creator which we've needed, he's a team guy with a great attitude, and there is the added benefit that he's going to create an Asian buzz around Toronto like never before. The whole city is going to be rallying behind he and the Gasol acquisitions, which will vault our morale to championship level. The game vs BKN was the loudest I've heard this crowd in a long time when Gasol went on that wild run. I had goosebumps when he hit that 3 and turned around and yelled to himself, the last time that happened to me was when Mo Pete hit that magical three against the Wiz, I became so desensitized in recent years and I'm glad to have my excitement back like when I was a kid and VC was dunking all over people.

per 36:

2016 shot chart:

TS% (sparkling this year):

gpoon
Pro Prospect
And1: 717

Post#817 » by gpoon » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:38 am

No balls.... Lin texted JV and asked if he could wear his number... if he was a real man he would have asked Lowry for number 7
OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 8,876

Post#818 » by OAKLEY_2 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:29 pm

gpoon wrote:No balls.... Lin texted JV and asked if he could wear his number... if he was a real man he would have asked Lowry for number 7

I'll have the Lin Len combo. On second thought I'll just have the Lin.
StopitLeo
RealGM

Post#819 » by StopitLeo » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:03 pm

sidsid wrote:I don't think it's a matter of outplaying Fred. It's just replacing his role as the PG. Fred is fine as an off-ball player and with Lowry, Gasol and Lin on the roster, there should be no more excuses to not put him in that role full time. He should basically be our upgraded Miles now (an off-ball shooter who can actually dribble when run off the line).

Now he's fighting with Norm for SG minutes, and knowing Nurse, it's a fight Norm will lose no matter how he plays, but at least we don't get the bad version of FVV anymore (the overdribling, bad playmaking one).

I just meant that if Lin can show he is able to come in and run the point effectively while Fred is out then the backup job would go to him over Fred. I think Lin would be more effective there than as a SG so hopefully he can make a clear case for it.

I completely agree with you that Fred can play as the off-ball guard. His 3P% is up to 37% after being below 30% during the start of the season. Hopefully his injury does affect his shot of course (fortunately it is his off hand which I think is slightly less important than his release hand). He will have difficulty guarding SGs because of his size though; I am not sure whether Lin can guard bigger 2s either.

It’s not just Norm and Fred competing as I think McCaw is in there at SG as well. He hasn’t shown the ability to shoot the 3 effectively but his size and length give him an advantage over the other two defensively. It also seems like he is going to thrive if gets to play with Gasol, probably influenced a lot by the ball-movement he played with in Golden State. I do think McCaw will also see time at the 3 against normal sized 3s (i.e., not Joe Johnson sized) so maybe it will be more Norm and Fred at the 2. That can work in terms of trading size defensively for ball-handling (as the primary differences).

I’m very excited to see Lin tonight.
Lorenzomax7
Rookie
And1: 243

Post#820 » by Lorenzomax7 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:05 pm

Can’t wait!

As a long-term Timmy/Spurs fan, I'm very pleased to see KL2 and Green playing with Lin.
Watch NBA since 1998. Huge fan of A.C. Fiorentina, Spurs & Tim Duncan, Yao Ming & Linsanity, Brooklyn & Coney Island. Former Brooklyn Chinese resident.

Return to Toronto Raptors