Justin Verlander: Free Agent System Is Broken

Moderator: TyCobb

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Justin Verlander: Free Agent System Is Broken 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:52 pm

Justin Verlander doesn\'t buy the theory that the market for big time free agents has been limited by rebuilding clubs this offseason.

\"100 or so free agents left unsigned. System is broken,\" Verlander tweeted on Monday. \"They blame “rebuilding” but that’s BS. You’re telling me you couldn’t sign Bryce or Manny for 10 years and go from there? Seems like a good place to start a rebuild to me. 26-36 is a great performance window too.\"

Bryce Harper and Manny Machado remain unsigned as spring training approaches. Last year, J.D. Martinez didn\'t sign with the Boston Red Sox until Feb. 20.

Via ESPN

Metallikid
RealGM
And1: 9,962

Re: Justin Verlander: Free Agent System Is Broken 

Post#2 » by Metallikid » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:05 pm

Verlander making himself look terrible here. 10 year contracts are indefensible and that's why no MLB team wants to offer one. The return on value in the MLB hasn't been good for a while in regards to free agents so people simply aren't signing them. That easy.
cheese318
Sixth Man
And1: 227

Post#3 » by cheese318 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:12 pm

Metallikid wrote:Verlander making himself look terrible here. 10 year contracts are indefensible and that's why no MLB team wants to offer one. The return on value in the MLB hasn't been good for a while in regards to free agents so people simply aren't signing them. That easy.

Umm stop acting like Machado/Harper are 31-32. They are 26. 8-10 year contract for them is exactly what I would request with out clauses for myself to secure another round of free agency if I prefer. To act like that’s unreasonable is ridiculous. Verlander is correct that the system is broken without a salary cap which of course the players prefer. It’s the most boring free agency in sports. It drags out. Any other sport 95% would have been signed 3 months ago. If they want to make baseball off season exciting again they need to make many changes to fix the system in place
Hoopzilla wrote:
Whether I was born or not when the Orlando Magic tried to form a Super Team means absolutely nothing to this conversation. One thing is pretty clear, you are the load your mother should have swallowed and moved on with her life... :nod:
Metallikid
RealGM

Post#4 » by Metallikid » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:09 am

cheese318 wrote:
Metallikid wrote:Verlander making himself look terrible here. 10 year contracts are indefensible and that's why no MLB team wants to offer one. The return on value in the MLB hasn't been good for a while in regards to free agents so people simply aren't signing them. That easy.

Umm stop acting like Machado/Harper are 31-32. They are 26. 8-10 year contract for them is exactly what I would request with out clauses for myself to secure another round of free agency if I prefer. To act like that’s unreasonable is ridiculous. Verlander is correct that the system is broken without a salary cap which of course the players prefer. It’s the most boring free agency in sports. It drags out. Any other sport 95% would have been signed 3 months ago. If they want to make baseball off season exciting again they need to make many changes to fix the system in place

Yeah, the change is going to be free agents realizing they aren't going to make as much and settling for less. In a few years time the market will find a balance. No team can afford to pay one player hundreds of millions of dollars (even Mike Trout!) and have enough money leftover to compete, so the longer contracts are becoming obsolete.
cheese318
Sixth Man

Post#5 » by cheese318 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:48 am

Metallikid wrote:
cheese318 wrote:

Yeah, the change is going to be free agents realizing they aren't going to make as much and settling for less. In a few years time the market will find a balance. No team can afford to pay one player hundreds of millions of dollars (even Mike Trout!) and have enough money leftover to compete, so the longer contracts are becoming obsolete.

Disagree. Certain players are always going to be valued at a certain rate. No way they take 5/100. Teams will be laying out a premium for these type players on short term deals. Is Harper worth $50-$60 Million over 3-4 year deal? I’d rather pay him 8-10 years at $35 Million per

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hoopzilla wrote:
Whether I was born or not when the Orlando Magic tried to form a Super Team means absolutely nothing to this conversation. One thing is pretty clear, you are the load your mother should have swallowed and moved on with her life... :nod:
Metallikid
RealGM

Post#6 » by Metallikid » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:48 am

cheese318 wrote:
Metallikid wrote:
cheese318 wrote:

Disagree. Certain players are always going to be valued at a certain rate. No way they take 5/100. Teams will be laying out a premium for these type players on short term deals. Is Harper worth $50-$60 Million over 3-4 year deal? I’d rather pay him 8-10 years at $35 Million per

But isn't the fact that they haven't signed yet indicative of not being given offers as high as they were expecting?
cheese318
Sixth Man

Post#7 » by cheese318 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:50 am

Metallikid wrote:
cheese318 wrote:
Metallikid wrote:

But isn't the fact that they haven't signed yet indicative of not being given offers as high as they were expecting?

No it’s just become more the norm. Didn’t JD wait? Could have sworn Grienke/Max Scherzer took a while for contracts. It’s gonna happen next year when half the free agents are free come February

Hoopzilla wrote:
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,702

Post#8 » by dougthonus » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:58 am

What is broken about the system? There is effectively no salary cap. Teams can decide far more directly (relative to other major sports) whether a guy's ROI is worth paying him or not. If a guy can generate 400 million in value for the franchise the teams can just pay that and come out ahead.

If a guy can't make that kind of ROI, then he's not really worth that much money to the team.

This isn't the NBA, NFL, or NHL where the various cap structures limit teams from paying guys as much as they would want to if they could.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
Plutonashfan
Analyst
And1: 3,120

Post#9 » by Plutonashfan » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:08 am

cheese318 wrote:

You are complete idiot. These contract are way too high and their need to a very hard cap in baseball hence why its in a steep decline. Ticket prices need to lowered as well. The fact you championing greedy **** is alarming. Small market teams have like 2 year window because POS like Ver and his slut wife. WOW
The Champ is HERE!!!
Plutonashfan
Analyst

Post#10 » by Plutonashfan » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:09 am

dougthonus wrote:What is broken about the system? There is effectively no salary cap. Teams can decide far more directly (relative to other major sports) whether a guy's ROI is worth paying him or not. If a guy can generate 400 million in value for the franchise the teams can just pay that and come out ahead.

If a guy can't make that kind of ROI, then he's not really worth that much money to the team.

This isn't the NBA, NFL, or NHL where the various cap structures limit teams from paying guys as much as they would want to if they could.

Your also an idiot
The Champ is HERE!!!
Plutonashfan
Analyst

Post#11 » by Plutonashfan » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:10 am

cheese318 wrote:

Once again your idiot these prices are too high
The Champ is HERE!!!
Plutonashfan
Analyst

Post#12 » by Plutonashfan » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:13 am

Look at the morons defend this. Unless your making mills too how could argue for this. I have family of 4 and would cost me 100 bucks to attend a game after parking while this greedy idiots make 400 million and that's not counting food you tards . Disguising, This way this isn't America pass=time any more,
The Champ is HERE!!!
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,703

Post#13 » by the_process » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:05 am

No team wants to do the 10 year 150M+ contracts anymore. Most of the time, by the third year you're already hating the deal you signed. Could Machado and Harper be different? Maybe.

Also factor in Boras is looking to set a record for either highest total deal or highest annual salary. That's 36M a year or 330M total. The highest reported offer is the White Sox at 10-200 for Machado. I'm sure the Phillies are above that, yet don't want to bid against themselves. Giants will come in over that as well.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,702

Post#14 » by dougthonus » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:02 pm

Plutonashfan wrote:
dougthonus wrote:What is broken about the system? There is effectively no salary cap. Teams can decide far more directly (relative to other major sports) whether a guy's ROI is worth paying him or not. If a guy can generate 400 million in value for the franchise the teams can just pay that and come out ahead.

Your also an idiot

*You're

Let me know if you need any more help on the insults or if you want some help with actual insight or relevant discussion. I'm happy to mentor you.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter

Return to Wiretap Headlines Discussion