ImageImageImageImageImage

Assuming Durant leaves...build next years team.

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,375

Assuming Durant leaves...build next years team. 

Post#1 » by ILOVEIT » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:37 pm

I think Durant is gone...all makes sense...and I'm not really that disappointed.

You are Bob Meyers...what moves do you make and what does your starting 5 look like next year?
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
Swift21
General Manager
And1: 454

Re: Assuming Durant leaves...build next years team. 

Post#2 » by Swift21 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:56 pm

Call up my old buddy Travis Schlenk and hope he does me a favor taking Evans/Jones and our 2019 First round pick for Taurean Prince. Try to convince Cousins to take the one year 6 mil non bird raise to play a full season with Steph and Klay.

Bottom line Myers will be in a tough position if KD leaves because he won't have much flexibility.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#3 » by Mylie10 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:57 pm

I want to play your game, but without someone like statsman confirming what money would be available and who's due what, I would only be guessing on what we can offer and to whom.

So if we can get a break down, not who we could sign, but the actual dollars and cents of it all first, it would be helpful.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
SFrush
Sixth Man
And1: 778

Post#4 » by SFrush » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:03 pm

Mylie10 wrote:I want to play your game, but without someone like statsman confirming what money would be available and who's due what, I would only be guessing on what we can offer and to whom.

So if we can get a break down, not who we could sign, but the actual dollars and cents of it all first, it would be helpful.

Assuming Klay re-signs Myers will only have the taxpayers MLE.
ILOVEIT
RealGM

Post#5 » by ILOVEIT » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:04 pm

I'll take a shot...preference would be team 1 option. The basic premise is that Draymond Green's value is less next year and without Durant Warriors need more offense from that position.

Team 1 - Trade Draymond and Livingston to Cavs for Love....(Love has 4 years and Cavs will suck with or without him and want out from under contract....Draymond and Livingston are both 1 year left.
Find a way to keep Cousins one more year.

Curry, Klay, Love, Cousins as your core.

Team 2 - Trade Draymond and Iggy for Nick Batum and Tony Parker. Solves small forward and back up point spot.
As in team 1, get Cousins to stick around.

Curry, Klay, Batum and Cousins...move Looney to PF and Damion Jones at backup Center.
BW32
Lead Assistant
And1: 761

Post#6 » by BW32 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:11 pm

ILOVEIT wrote:I'll take a shot...preference would be team 1 option. The basic premise is that Draymond Green's value is less next year and without Durant Warriors need more offense from that position.

Team 1 - Trade Draymond and Livingston to Cavs for Love....(Love has 4 years and Cavs will suck with or without him and want out from under contract....Draymond and Livingston are both 1 year left.

Team 2 - Trade Draymond and Iggy for Nick Batum and Tony Parker. Solves small forward and back up point spot.

Curry, Klay, Batum and Cousins...move Looney to PF and Damion Jones at backup Center.

Looking at these trades I'm not sure you've been watching basketball last few years.
statsman
Analyst
And1: 438

Post#7 » by statsman » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:19 pm

SFrush wrote:
Mylie10 wrote:I want to play your game, but without someone like statsman confirming what money would be available and who's due what, I would only be guessing on what we can offer and to whom.

Might be able to use the non-taxpayer MLE (est. $9M) if Livingston is traded or bought out for 2019-20 ($2M). Doing so would cap the team at the apron for 2019-20.

Other than that, pray for a miracle like the Knicks doing the Warriors a favor (assuming KD goes there) and arrange a S&T. Having a substantial TPE to work with could help greatly.

Swift21 wrote:Bottom line Myers will be in a tough position if KD leaves because he won't have much flexibility.

Short of a miracle S&T, yep.
SFrush
Sixth Man

Post#8 » by SFrush » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:28 pm

statsman wrote:
SFrush wrote:

Might be able to use the non-taxpayer MLE (est. $9M) if Livingston is traded or bought out for 2019-20 ($2M). Doing so would cap the team at the apron for 2019-20.

Other than that, pray for a miracle like the Knicks doing the Warriors a favor (assuming KD goes there) and arrange a S&T. Having a substantial TPE to work with could help greatly.

Pretty unlikely if Klay gets the full max though.
statsman
Analyst

Post#9 » by statsman » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:34 pm

SFrush wrote:
statsman wrote:
SFrush wrote:Assuming Klay re-signs Myers will only have the taxpayers MLE.

Assuming Klay signs for a 30% max (est. $32.7M for 2019-20) and Livingston's $2M buyout is stretch waived, the Warriors would be $14.5M below the apron assuming everyone else on the bench is retained for their QO/vet minimum (or replaced with like contracts).

Looney is the biggest unknown. Not sure how much it will cost to retain him. Bell is a wildcard. He isn't worth much, but some team might pitch him a contract the Warriors aren't interested in matching.

As I said, "might". I didn't say it was an absolute guarantee.
SFrush
Sixth Man

Post#10 » by SFrush » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:37 pm

statsman wrote:
SFrush wrote:
statsman wrote:Might be able to use the non-taxpayer MLE (est. $9M) if Livingston is traded or bought out for 2019-20 ($2M). Doing so would cap the team at the apron for 2019-20.

Assuming Klay signs for a 30% max (est. $32.7M for 2019-20) and Livingston's $2M buyout is stretch waived, the Warriors would be $14.5M below the apron assuming everyone else on the bench is retained for their QO/vet minimum (or replaced with like contracts).

Looney is the biggest unknown. Not sure how much it will cost to retain him. Bell is a wildcard. He isn't worth much, but some team might pitch him a contract the Warriors aren't interested in matching.

As I said, "might". I didn't say it was an absolute guarantee.

Neither did I.
ILOVEIT
RealGM

Post#11 » by ILOVEIT » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:54 pm

BW32 wrote:
ILOVEIT wrote:I'll take a shot...preference would be team 1 option. The basic premise is that Draymond Green's value is less next year and without Durant Warriors need more offense from that position.

Looking at these trades I'm not sure you've been watching basketball last few years.

What a contribution BW32 ;) Any time you'd like to put forth your more informed opinion I'm sure we'll resist dumping on it like you did mine :)
Dom801e
Veteran
And1: 861

Post#12 » by Dom801e » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:10 pm

If Durant decides to leave, then I would try to make it a sign and trade to create a large trade exception for future flexibility.

If he were going to NY for example. Durant for Lance Thomas. This saves NY some money and allows GS to trade for a player making up to $28M in the future.
LeonGenesis
Sixth Man
And1: 344

Post#13 » by LeonGenesis » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:10 pm

Other teams are climbing the top quickly while GS is going to be in a crisis mode without KD and Cousins next year. Iggy and Livingston are both old.... Green has no offense....Klay is inconsistent....Cousins is gone.... Curry is the only superstar...and he can't do it all alone.

I'll recruit Damian Lillard...a Bay Area guy....and win 5 more rings and exceed KD's ring :)

Jacob needs to start offering part ownership of Warriors if he wants to be "light years" hahaha.
Little Digger
Head Coach
And1: 2,710

Post#14 » by Little Digger » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:50 pm

Long run I have no doubt the Warriors are screwed.. ..Nick Young and Rent-A-Gimp were truly awful moves ..Twardzick level bad ..They are so unbelievably fortunate to have Curry-Thompson-Green-Durant- on the roster..Once they start leaving, GSW will enter a new DARK AGES.

Ego’s get out of control during a dynasty period. Goof balls who had little do with the success gain power and all of a sudden become geniuses in the public eye..Carmen Policy comes to mind
ILOVEIT—Good 'ol Bob. Two things that will survive the next apocalypse - Cockroaches and Fitz.
statsman
Analyst

Post#15 » by statsman » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:03 pm

In a sense, I think the Warriors are somewhat hindered by their success, assuming Durant does leave. In most instances, a team would likely make major trades in order to adjust for losing a player of Durant's caliber. Might require at least a few seasons to adjust.

But with the Warriors opening in Chase Center for 2019-20 and Curry with a few prime years left, partially gutting the team now isn't what Lacob and Co. had in mind.
likashing
Head Coach
And1: 1,959

Post#16 » by likashing » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:53 am

We will become LeBron/Wade/Bosh mode. Top heavy with min/exemption players.

With KD gone, one thing we can sell is there will actually be minutes to be had, unlike right now. This is why bigger name buy-outs are not joining us at the moment.

However, our players/playing style/team culture, etc, attracted Iguodala before and recently KD. Maybe there is some solid wing/centers willing to join for exemptions and play 30-35 min with Steph/Klay/Draymond.

Joining our KD-less team will now have less stigma. It won't be chasing a cheap ring like some say right now.
Mark Jackson wrote:Playoff preparation is overrated... I’m going to get my rest. I’m not going to grow old and be stressed out and get gray hair.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,182

Post#17 » by xdrta+ » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:55 am

Interestingly, if worse comes to worst, and both KD and Klay leave, there is still not much room to rebuild. Leaving Livingston out and assuming all FAs are renounced, there are 5 guaranteed salaries totaling a little over $80M. Added to this, a cap hold for their #1 pick, the incomplete roster charge (for under 12 players) of about $11M, the MLE and Bi-Annual Exceptions (added to team salary when under the cap) of about $13M, and the team salary balloons to well over $100M. With a projected cap of $109M, this leave the Warriors about 4 or 5 million in cap space, an MLE, and minimum salaries to fill around 9 roster spots. That's a challenge for any GM.
ILOVEIT
RealGM

Post#18 » by ILOVEIT » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:10 am

xdrta...thanks for breaking this down.

It feels like the only way to put a championship team back on the floor if Durant leaves is to make trades to reshape. That's why I suggested the Draymond move....trying to translate him into a more offensive PF like Love....or maybe for two players like Batum and a backup Parker.

Again, assuming that Durant is leaving....I have GOT to think Myers already is planning for that with a proactive strategy to re-shape next years roster.
GswStorm3
Assistant Coach
And1: 308

Post#19 » by GswStorm3 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:41 am

1)Beg Cousins to stay one more season.

1A)Hire Draymond a shooting coach in the offseason. It's time to fix his awful hunched shooting motion.

2)Get the best 3&D forward you can with the MLE.

3)Re-sign Looney.
cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,793

Post#20 » by cdubbz » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:03 am

Might have to pop in my 2k19 to see.
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.

Return to Golden State Warriors