Bellator General Discussion and Info

Moderator: lilfishi22

Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,473

Re: Bellator General Discussion and Info 

Post#1721 » by Bernman » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:53 pm

REDDzone wrote:Maybe the fight was hard to make for other reasons, but I really have a hard time seeing Daley ducking MVP, considering he has fought superior fighters in his career. Why would you willingly fight Rory and Lima and then duck MVP? It doesn't make sense.

Lima was a champ, Rory a UFC contender. MVP is a lesser known Bellator original who could still be considered a prospect. He can make more of a name off Daley. Whilst he's also very dangerous and can make some look like fools. Look how he made a warrior like Caveman say matte. Questionable risk-reward. I'm not saying he was the one doing the ducking, but those are reasons.

In any event, after all the pre-fight talk, looking forward to the fight now that it's finally here. Feel like it's getting overlooked because Bellator has 2 events and UFC makes their debut on ESPN on Saturday with an event that's no joke. You can dvr it all if you still have tv. Jam-packed MMA weekend.
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#1722 » by REDDzone » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:53 am

^^ I don't want to argue semantics but while I absolutely agree that those are reasons, I wouldn't say reasons like that would equal "ducking".

But yea, excited for a jam packed MMA weekend, including this fight.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Post#1723 » by cowboyronnie » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:45 am

Can't imagine that Daley closes the distance
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,429

Post#1724 » by Susan » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:54 am

Looking forward to seeing young hot prospect Erick Silva fight tonight. Can't believe the UFC let him walk!
spykelee
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,753

Post#1725 » by spykelee » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:21 am

That first-round in page vs Daley might have been the worst round in MMA history... Arguably worse than starnes and quarry

Sent from my LG-H873 using RealGM mobile app
spykelee
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1726 » by spykelee » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:48 am

What a snoozefest of a main card. Only the loureda fight was exciting to my eyes. Thought page and Daley wanted to fight? All this bad blood, blah blah blah, fight sucked. Prelim fights were pretty lit though.

High 5
RealGM
And1: 2,077

Post#1727 » by High 5 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:35 am

I was looking forward to the main event and then totally forgot about it. It sounds like I'm the real winner.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#1728 » by REDDzone » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:21 pm

cowboyronnie wrote:Can't imagine that Daley closes the distance

The fact that he was able to complete that first double leg was an absolute embarrassment for both of them. Him for even trying it and MVP for letting him actually complete it. TBH the fight felt like a big deal going in but ended up seeming pretty low level to me.

Daley has to feel like an idiot for losing by one round due to the fact that he didn't throw a single strike in the first, MVP won that by the one half ass push kick he threw.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
Bernman
RealGM

Post#1729 » by Bernman » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:36 pm

The whole weekend fell flat for Bellator from an entertainment and hype standpoint between the fouls, boring fights, and lack of well-roundedness displayed in the marquee fight of the weekend.

Page has poor knee bend. Don't think he'll ever be better than adequate at tdd. But on the ground he needs to work on putting feet on the hips or threatening with the sub to get up. And along the cage just show urgency to get to your knees and use the fence to prop you up. That would make a big difference. Best case scenario there is he's like Condit.

Don't think he's much of a threat to Lima given Douglas knows he could go that route and with the set up leg kicks can fight at distance unlike Daley and frankly he's better at it than Page. So much of Page's game is centered around countering blitzes with straights and flying knees.

He's a good major org fighter which maybe for the first time he proved last night. At the same time it may have been the worst for his stock because it shows in all likelihood he has a medium ceiling.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#1730 » by REDDzone » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:59 pm

Bernman wrote:The whole weekend fell flat for Bellator from an entertainment and hype standpoint between the fouls, boring fights, and lack of well-roundedness displayed in the marquee fight of the weekend.

Page has poor knee bend. Don't think he'll ever be better than adequate at tdd. But on the ground he needs to work on putting feet on the hips or threatening with the sub to get up. And along the cage just show urgency to get to your knees and use the fence to prop you up. That would make a big difference. Best case scenario there is he's like Condit.

Don't think he's much of a threat to Lima given Douglas knows he could go that route and with the set up leg kicks can fight at distance unlike Daley and frankly he's better at it than Page. So much of Page's game is centered around countering blitzes with straights and flying knees.

He's a good major org fighter which maybe for the first time he proved last night. At the same time it may have been the worst for his stock because it shows in all likelihood he has a medium ceiling.

But you'd think he'd get from F level to C level for takedown defense just due to the fact that he keeps his hands so low alone. He should be digging underhooks all day when guys shoot. Also he needs to watch Maia/Woodley for a master level disengagement strategy. Obviously he will never be Woodley, but what Woodley was doing in that fight to cleanly disengage from failed shots was actually very basic with transitioning hands methodically to the head and shoving Maias head into the ground and getting a clean break. Too many takedowns and conceding bottom last night from failed shots, and those are failed shots from a guy who frankly has no idea how to chain wrestle.
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,765

Post#1731 » by Cammo101 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:21 pm

I need Bellator to get their major fights off Dazn. Put the second tier cards on there and the big ones on Paramount Neetwork, not the other way around. It's killing my desire to watch Bellator.
Bernman
RealGM

Post#1732 » by Bernman » Mon Mar 4, 2019 7:52 pm

Sadly, Cro Cop was forced to retire after his Bellator debut victory, which capped off a 10-fight win streak. He had a stroke from a broken blood vessel that traveled to his brain. Apparently he'll be fine, but it's too risky to compete again. At least he went out on a win streak and not from too much damage in the cage (although he had plenty) unlike MMA'ists seldom do.
Jasen777
Head Coach
And1: 1,871

Post#1733 » by Jasen777 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:34 am

Tournament curse already.
spykelee
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1734 » by spykelee » Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:26 pm

Weird post fight interview with Rory. You know when your not one hundred percent into it, you need to step away. Might be his time and I wouldn't begrudge him at all for it. He hasn't really looked the part of elite fighter for quite some time now even with his belt...

kimuradragon
Ballboy
And1: 5

Post#1735 » by kimuradragon » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:54 pm

Ray Longo thinks Rory MacDonald should retire following Bellator 220. Agree?

Bernman
RealGM

Post#1736 » by Bernman » Fri May 10, 2019 6:55 am

This Saturday's card really trails off afterward, but the top few fights are better than the competing UFC ppv's.

Chandler-Pitbull: Great grudge match. "You want to fight me? I'll end you" - Chandler right after he ko'ed Pitbull's brother. I actually like Pit to get revenge and pull the upset. Pitbull has amazing timing and counter when Chandler gets over-aggressive, as he does. He doesn't fight long. Pitbull's a s**t brickhouse who is tough to take down, is smarter, and can counter w/ chokes. Also has better cardio.

Lima-MVP: Lima is more sound on the feet and superior on the ground. Pick your poison for MVP. Although if anybody can pull a rabbit out of a hat it's him.

McKee-Curran: Again, I like the underdog here, which is Paddy Mike. Score another one for the Bellator og's. McKee is talented but can get wild and Curran has great counters. Plus he has great tdd plus sub recognition. Similar equation as Pitbull-Chandler.
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,429

Post#1737 » by Susan » Sun May 12, 2019 2:58 am

RIP MVP
Jasen777
Head Coach
And1: 1,871

Post#1738 » by Jasen777 » Sun May 12, 2019 2:58 am

Nice.
Bernman
RealGM

Post#1739 » by Bernman » Sun May 12, 2019 3:02 am

I tuned out just for a minute, because of that humdrum first round, and I missed it live. Damn it.

Lima is probably the most potent ww in the world with single shots when they're presented. Don't give him the opportunity. Doesn't need much w/ his timing. Game-changers with both the kicks and punches. There the kick set up the punch. Devastating on each; savage.

Bernman
RealGM

Post#1740 » by Bernman » Sun May 12, 2019 3:20 am

I'm getting pumped for this one! Either it's going to be an early finish or barnburner. Hard to see it any other way.

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts