Dirk Nowitzki Hasn't Ruled Out Returning For 19-20 Season

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 291

Dirk Nowitzki Hasn't Ruled Out Returning For 19-20 Season 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:06 pm

Dirk Nowitzki hasn't ruled out returning to the Dallas Mavericks for the 19-20 season.

Nowitzki has maintained that he plans to wait until the summer before making a final decision. Nowitzki has begun to feel better of late for the first time since undergoing ankle surgery last spring.

Nowitzki also would like the chance to play with Luka Doncic and Kristaps Porzingis.

"I'd love to be there for the young guys one more year, but I think it depends on how the body feels," Nowitzki said. "I've had some issues, obviously, this year. I had some knee swelling here the last few weeks, actually before the All-Star break, so it's not all great. But like I said, I am feeling better. I am feeling a little stronger.

"I think I'm going to make that decision later on, but I think the future's bright. I think Luka and KP, if they stay healthy, stay together, they should be a great combo. They should play great off each other. Both have an incredible skill set for their size, incredible playmaking ability for their size. They should jell well, but we have to see how it goes next year."

Porzingis has quietly lobbied for Nowitzki to play next season. Porzingis grew up idolizing Nowitzki. 

Via Tim MacMahon/ESPN

gh123
Sixth Man
And1: 1,197

Re: Dirk Nowitzki Hasn't Ruled Out Returning For 19-20 Season 

Post#2 » by gh123 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:18 pm

Yeah but KP doesn't pass and wants to be the man, so I don't really understand where Dirk is coming from.
TheCage4
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 509

Post#3 » by TheCage4 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:23 pm

Returning....as a coach?
“And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission.” -Alan Moore
Shackattack
Freshman
And1: 60

Post#4 » by Shackattack » Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:28 pm

He shouldn't retire just because the league wants him too. He should play if he wants and his team is willing to have him.
CycklopsGT
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,729

Post#5 » by CycklopsGT » Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:32 pm

The natural choice is for him to come back as a member of the team staff, Assistant coach etc. He obviously doesn't want to change his lifestyle at the moment, so traveling with the team, attending games etc. would help the transition for him.
oligo
Sophomore
And1: 59

Post#6 » by oligo » Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:54 pm

This is just ridiculous. Having Dirk one more year on the roaster means prolongation of the rebuilding process for one more year. If he really wants to help that team, he can do that offcourt - on million different ways. I hope Mark Cuban will do some quiet diplomacy and convince him to retire. Maybe he will realize it's a win-win situation.
#FireVlade
Durant Durant
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,094

Post#7 » by Durant Durant » Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:19 pm

he's good enough to 'ring-chase' with another team next season.

plus it will make Doc look like a... :D
No no yes yes
Dirkules
Sophomore
And1: 110

Post#8 » by Dirkules » Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:21 pm

gh123 wrote:Yeah but KP doesn't pass and wants to be the man, so I don't really understand where Dirk is coming from.

A. KP wants Dirk to come back.
B.KP isn't going to "be the man" whether Dirk comes back or not. It's going to be Luka who will be the man.
C. Dirk has said the he might stick around for 1 more year to mentor Luka and KP.

It's not as if Dirk came back for another year he'd be taking minutes away from anyone. More just to give them a breather here and there during games but more importantly, let KP learn a few things from him for a full season and Luka for a second season and ride off into the sunset. That's where Dirk is coming from.

Who knows. If the Mavs play their cards right this offseason and with a little luck from the draft lottery gods, Dirk could find himself in the midst of a deep playoff run before he hangs it up.
Dr Dunc
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#9 » by Dr Dunc » Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:36 pm

He might need to come back to play the 30 games that KP misses, show KP how to pass, how to rebound...
Dave_From_NB
Starter
And1: 1,535

Post#10 » by Dave_From_NB » Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:09 pm

I said the same thing about Pierce at the end of his career - it would be a shame to see an all time great get a string of DNP-CD's or even worse, not be even on the game roster to finish his career.
puja21
Bench Warmer
And1: 184

Post#11 » by puja21 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:33 pm

oligo wrote:This is just ridiculous. Having Dirk one more year on the roaster means prolongation of the rebuilding process for one more year. If he really wants to help that team, he can do that offcourt - on million different ways. I hope Mark Cuban will do some quiet diplomacy and convince him to retire. Maybe he will realize it's a win-win situation.

The comment is ridiculous. He's the 14th/15th man. There is no team in the league where a player that low in the rotation has any tangible impact on the immediate W/L record

Dirk's huge physical limitations are tremendously outweighed by the intangibles a respected veteran adds which aid in the growth/development of young players. Being a veteran on his last legs is absolutely not the same as being an assistant coach or even a 'consultant' a la Steve Nash to the Warriors. When you're physically "on the roster" every day there is a completely different level of trust/respect than when you put on a suit and don't have to even "try" to take care of your body anymore, let alone be held accountable to do so. He's actually in the training room every day, and eating the right things, doing the sleep science things. These are massive lessons for young players like Doncic and KP. It's totally different to say "do as I say, not as I do" compared with walking the talk.

This is as silly a take as people who "don't want to 'watch' their heroes degrade," but are comfortable telling their 'heroes' how to live their lives. If he has to the clout to demand and get a roster spot, he can and should do whatever he wants.
Phreak50
Lead Assistant
And1: 10,960

Post#12 » by Phreak50 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:42 pm

Just makes the All Star inclusion even more of a joke.
The Laker Kid
General Manager
And1: 6,490

Post#13 » by The Laker Kid » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:03 pm

He should play until he's 72.
MaxwellSmart wrote:I hate to say this, but Go Lakers....
GeorgeMarcus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,045

Post#14 » by GeorgeMarcus » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:48 pm

I'm gonna get emotional when Dirk does decide to hang it up
The Legend of George Marcus

"Where I'm from, bullies get bullied." - Zach Randolph
cavs4872
Senior
And1: 242

Post#15 » by cavs4872 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:49 pm

Wouldn't it be awkward if he came back, with stuff like Doc stopping the game and the special All-Star treatment? Now seems like the right time.
Pickled Prunes
Head Coach

Post#16 » by Pickled Prunes » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:57 pm

cavs4872 wrote:Wouldn't it be awkward if he came back, with stuff like Doc stopping the game and the special All-Star treatment? Now seems like the right time.

Awkward for Doc... and all others that have assumed he would hang it up. Never assume anything.
gh123
Sixth Man

Post#17 » by gh123 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:20 pm

Dirkules wrote:
gh123 wrote:Yeah but KP doesn't pass and wants to be the man, so I don't really understand where Dirk is coming from.

A. KP wants Dirk to come back.
B.KP isn't going to "be the man" whether Dirk comes back or not. It's going to be Luka who will be the man.
C. Dirk has said the he might stick around for 1 more year to mentor Luka and KP.

It's not as if Dirk came back for another year he'd be taking minutes away from anyone. More just to give them a breather here and there during games but more importantly, let KP learn a few things from him for a full season and Luka for a second season and ride off into the sunset. That's where Dirk is coming from.

Who knows. If the Mavs play their cards right this offseason and with a little luck from the draft lottery gods, Dirk could find himself in the midst of a deep playoff run before he hangs it up.

Are you KP's mom? Coz you're certainly not his brother lol
DarthTeufel
Junior
And1: 641

Post#18 » by DarthTeufel » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:32 pm

It’s disgusting how the leagues been trying to force him out. Everyone giving him tributes and acting like he’s gone for sure when he’s never even said anything of the such. From things he’s ACTUALLY said there is more reason to believe he is still loving the nba lifestyle and wants to keep playing.
eureca20
Junior
And1: 81

Post#19 » by eureca20 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:44 pm

DarthTeufel wrote:It’s disgusting how the leagues been trying to force him out. Everyone giving him tributes and acting like he’s gone for sure when he’s never even said anything of the such. From things he’s ACTUALLY said there is more reason to believe he is still loving the nba lifestyle and wants to keep playing.

So if someone praises someone while they have the chance it is forcing him out? Tim Duncan left without a word. Maybe people just want to show their respect in case he retires?

Obviously Dirk has played the most seasons in NBA history and he is not a good player anymore. It is not as if they are praising him this much in his 13th season. The man is in year 21. Obviously he may retire until he confirms otherwise. People want to show their respect for one of the greatest to ever do it.
TheProfessor
Starter
And1: 1,012

Post#20 » by TheProfessor » Fri Mar 1, 2019 1:09 am

Dirk has been brutal this year, if he takes a mentor role and never ever see's the floor then sure.

Return to Wiretap Discussion