Lakers Executives Believe Rival Teams Are Subversively Damaging Their Reputation

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Lakers Executives Believe Rival Teams Are Subversively Damaging Their Reputation 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Mar 6, 2019 6:48 am

Los Angeles Lakers executives believe that rival teams are going out of their way to sabotage their standing within the league, according to Sam Amick.

"From Jeanie on down, there is a growing belief that rival teams like New Orleans have gone to great lengths to do the kind of subversive damage that is nearly impossible to prove. Johnson himself has said that he doesn’t believe the Pelicans negotiated in good faith, and it certainly was unique to see trade packages with remarkable specificity being reported throughout the process," writes Amick.

Those accusations come on the heels of Jeanie Buss calling out the media for leaking false rumors during their trade talks for Anthony Davis at the MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference.

“The biggest challenge…(is) the fake news about how we were supposedly trading our entire roster for a certain player, which is completely not true,” said Buss over the weekend.

Via Sam Amick/The Athletic

Magic Giannison
RealGM
And1: 27,027

Re: Lakers Executives Believe Rival Teams Are Subversively Damaging Their Reputation 

Post#2 » by Magic Giannison » Wed Mar 6, 2019 7:30 am

Yeah, lets absolutely blame everyone and everything but ourselves....

No Lakers, you've done **** it up.
teke184
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,391

Re: Lakers Executives Believe Rival Teams Are Subversively Damaging Their Reputation 

Post#3 » by teke184 » Wed Mar 6, 2019 7:50 am

Sour grapes.

They’re still pissed that the Pelicans didn’t take a below market offer to ship AD out to LA. And the Pels are STILL going to finish the season with a better record.

If anyone is damaging LA’s reputation, it is Magic by continuing to run his mouth. Several high profile overtures toward PG13, Kawhi, and AD failing because the Lakers refused to send out an appropriate trade package under the auspices of “We’ll just sign them as free agents if you don’t take this deal” has turned the LA front office into a clown show more than Jim Buss and Mitch Kupachik throwing money at Mozgov and Deng.

And BTW, when a team doesn’t pick up the phone for several days when you call and the clock is ticking on the trade deadline, that’s kind of a sign they don’t want to talk with you or trade with you. At that point you either back off or make a massive “Godfather” offer to make them change their minds, not piss and moan that they won’t take players who are vocally opposed to going there like Lonzo.
likashing
Head Coach
And1: 1,959

Post#4 » by likashing » Wed Mar 6, 2019 8:01 am

Buss is technically correct because they didn’t include LeBron for any AD package, so they didn’t offer the entire roster for AD.

Seriously, how low can an organization go. Reputation is earned, not given. I scratch my head when they say others try to damage their reputation...
Mark Jackson wrote:Playoff preparation is overrated... I’m going to get my rest. I’m not going to grow old and be stressed out and get gray hair.
LukaMagic
Senior
And1: 679

Post#5 » by LukaMagic » Wed Mar 6, 2019 8:13 am

Cry me a river
TheBallsDeeper
Starter
And1: 2,114

Post#6 » by TheBallsDeeper » Wed Mar 6, 2019 8:34 am

I'm pretty sure it's their on-court performance that is doing the damage.
Nutty Nats Fan
General Manager
And1: 4,947

Post#7 » by Nutty Nats Fan » Wed Mar 6, 2019 8:36 am

“The biggest challenge…(is) the fake news about how we were supposedly trading our entire roster for a certain player, which is completely not true,” said Buss at the MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference.

Wow, how the Lakers have fallen, taking a play out of Trump's book and crying fake news.

They screwed up, tried to force NO to trade AD, and it backfired. But it's the media's fault! :lol:
SeanDaRyan
Junior
And1: 130

Post#8 » by SeanDaRyan » Wed Mar 6, 2019 8:49 am

The mainstream media is all FAKENEWS!
CycklopsGT
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,729

Post#9 » by CycklopsGT » Wed Mar 6, 2019 9:20 am

Why would they negotiate in good faith when you tampered with their player?
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,048

Post#10 » by Lalouie » Wed Mar 6, 2019 9:32 am

paranoia

but in any case, this all started with the davis statement. that was ground zero. that's when demps started getting "advice" and it's easy to see how that could snowball. it ain't happening with the clips....they're in a big market too, the exact market as lal to be precise.

magic and lebronklutch were walking about with impunity
IAMZOOTED2
Analyst
And1: 2,414

Post#11 » by IAMZOOTED2 » Wed Mar 6, 2019 9:54 am

Hard to prove allegations, huh? That anything like hard to prove tampering allegations?
A single sharp pepper is better than a basketful of gourds.
ptpablo
Bench Warmer
And1: 124

Post#12 » by ptpablo » Wed Mar 6, 2019 10:52 am

The NBA should never use a Trump slogan.
benhillboy
Sixth Man
And1: 1,649

Post#13 » by benhillboy » Wed Mar 6, 2019 12:01 pm

Lakers exceptionalism died with Dr. Jerry Buss that’s for sure. Losing Jerry West from the front office, who has more basketball acumen and media savvy than everyone in that facility combined, didn’t help either.
rtblues
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,577

Post#14 » by rtblues » Wed Mar 6, 2019 12:14 pm

Weak sauce, lamest B.S. I've heard in a long time.
At least fellow incompetent NBA executive, Bulls GM John Paxson just stands up there and takes it up the ass, and then says something loud and defensive. But this, it's new heights in ridiculous excuses. Jeannie Buss gets the Oscar! MVP!
Wow, just wow.
"I wouldn’t call it a rebuild; more of a retool.” - Gar Forman, June 2016
arasu
Rookie
And1: 147

Post#15 » by arasu » Wed Mar 6, 2019 12:58 pm

likashing wrote:Buss is technically correct because they didn’t include LeBron for any AD package, so they didn’t offer the entire roster for AD.

Seriously, how low can an organization go. Reputation is earned, not given. I scratch my head when they say others try to damage their reputation...

Reputation can be earned, but frequently it's given and made up out of thin air. That said, sniveling and whining usually won't improve one's reputation.
Elnegron
Rookie
And1: 366

Post#16 » by Elnegron » Wed Mar 6, 2019 1:09 pm

ptpablo wrote:The NBA should never use a Trump slogan.

Like make the nba great again?. I didn't know fake news was a slogan
Myth
General Manager
And1: 8,426

Post#17 » by Myth » Wed Mar 6, 2019 1:40 pm

Lakers brass sounds as entitled as many of their fans.
12footrim
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,316

Post#18 » by 12footrim » Wed Mar 6, 2019 1:42 pm

Wait the lackers show up to the MIT Sloan conf now. :lol: I'm sure the people in the room give a $hit what J. Buss and Magic have to say. Do they even know what PER, RPM, O. Rating etc are.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
birdlives_ma
Senior
And1: 779

Post#19 » by birdlives_ma » Wed Mar 6, 2019 1:55 pm

Good. Stop tampering with other teams' players...
agkagk
Analyst
And1: 1,880

Post#20 » by agkagk » Wed Mar 6, 2019 2:21 pm

birdlives_ma wrote:Good. Stop tampering with other teams' players...

seriously, are the lakers complaining because the rest of the league out lakered them.

those in glass houses and all that..... :crazy:

Return to Wiretap Discussion