ImageImageImageImageImage

Assuming Durant leaves...build next years team.

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,182

Re: Assuming Durant leaves...build next years team. 

Post#101 » by xdrta+ » Thu Mar 7, 2019 7:14 pm

Kuya wrote:We need a major roster overhaul to be re-motivated.

Make sure Splash Bros stay together and then just build around that. Hopefully the front office can work some magic around our cap space.

What cap space is that?
likashing
Head Coach
And1: 1,959

Post#102 » by likashing » Thu Mar 7, 2019 8:19 pm

I’m still slightly above 50/50 that KD will stay. If he does want to go to Boston for a s&t, I wonder what we can get out of it.
Mark Jackson wrote:Playoff preparation is overrated... I’m going to get my rest. I’m not going to grow old and be stressed out and get gray hair.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#103 » by Mylie10 » Thu Mar 7, 2019 8:50 pm

likashing wrote:I’m still slight above 50/50 that KD will stay. If he does want to go to Boston for a s&t, I wonder what we can get out of it.

Not a real question, but one to think about would be Horford or Hayward.

Sign and trades are highly unlikely, but it might be a possibilty. And I don't think KD is looking to screw the Warriors by any stretch, so of it were the case it might be a helpful way to add a good player.

Im sure Statsman will come in hear and tell me I'm full of it, which is fine, be ause he knows his cap stuff.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
Phase 3
Veteran
And1: 758

Post#104 » by Phase 3 » Thu Mar 7, 2019 8:54 pm

There aren’t many ways to improve the team if KD leaves...especially if you want to keep Curry, Klay, and Draymond.

If you’re open to trading Draymond, I would probably try to get my hands on Aaron Gordon. Just like Oladipo and Tobias Harris, he’s the next Orlando Magic player that is ready to bust out somewhere else.

If you don’t move Dray, I would probably do something like this...
-Try to get a trade exception for KD from the Knicks. This could be EXTREMELY useful in matching salaries and bringing in talent via future trades.
-Offer Deandre Jordan the full MLE. He’s the only free agent center that I believe fits the modern NBA and fits what the Warriors need from the center position.
-If Deandre isn’t interested, I’d turn around and use the MLE on a wing. Rudy Gay, Trevor Ariza, ect...
-Bring back Javale on the vet minimum. His length and athleticism will be much needed with the departure of KD.
-Try to get a bench scorer via trade using the trade exception acquired earlier or by using Livingston’s contract plus a 1st round pick.

Bottom line, there’s no way to recover quickly from losing KD because the Warriors have very limited cap flexibility going forward and the championship window is probably closed.
likashing
Head Coach
And1: 1,959

Post#105 » by likashing » Thu Mar 7, 2019 9:11 pm

Mylie10 wrote:
likashing wrote:I’m still slight above 50/50 that KD will stay. If he does want to go to Boston for a s&t, I wonder what we can get out of it.

Sign and trades are highly unlikely, but it might be a possibilty. And I don't think KD is looking to screw the Warriors by any stretch, so of it were the case it might be a helpful way to add a good player.

Im sure Statsman will come in hear and tell me I'm full of it, which is fine, be ause he knows his cap stuff.

If KD wants to go to the Celtics and they have no cap space, then they have to do a sign and trade.

You don't see S&T often nowadays because there is no incentive to do so when the destination team has cap space. But for KD's case, that is the only way he can head to Boston.

Horford has a PO for $30m so I believe theoretically he can be the center piece for a S&T for KD onces Horford opts in.

KD also has a $31.5m PO as well. Maybe... just maybe... they can be traded for each other if they both opt-in, CP3 to the Rockets style. This way, Boston (or any other new team), will have KD's Bird's rights in 2020 summer.

Actually, thinking more about it, and how CP3 could opt-out after the season, rescind the opt-out, and got traded, makes me feel like KD has many more options than just the teams with cap space.

While I like Horford more because I think his playing style fits us, and his overall team impact, as well as filling a hole (center), the Celtics might want to shove Hayward to us instead.

18-19 Hayward looks like a rehab in progress. *but* if we 3-peat, and KD chooses to leave, and we have to choose Hayward or nothing... it will be hard to decide whether we should take the gamble on Hayward.
Mark Jackson wrote:Playoff preparation is overrated... I’m going to get my rest. I’m not going to grow old and be stressed out and get gray hair.
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,375

Post#106 » by ILOVEIT » Thu Mar 7, 2019 9:20 pm

Gordan Hayward and Jason Tatum for Durant :) :)
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
xdrta+
General Manager

Post#107 » by xdrta+ » Thu Mar 7, 2019 9:25 pm

Mylie10 wrote:

I'm not Statsman, but the reason an S&T would be difficult in this case is because of the rules on salary matching that apply. For the team receiving the player in a sign-and-trade, the full salary would apply for matching purposes. For the team trading the player, 50% of the new salary applies. So, assuming Durant signs for his max, about $38M, the full amount would count for Boston, but only $19M would count from the Warrior side. This means that Boston would have to send out about $29M in salary, which is more than the Warriors could take back. It would be extremely difficult to structure.

That is one reason there have been no S&Ts since the new CBA, added to the fact that teams can no longer sign the player to a full Bird contract, 5yr/8%raises, but are limited to what the new team can offer, 4yr/5% raises.
Phase 3
Veteran

Post#108 » by Phase 3 » Thu Mar 7, 2019 9:27 pm

I’d do Horford and Jaylen Brown.

Curry
Klay
Brown
Draymond
Horford

6th man: Iguodala

That team could still compete for the title.
Phase 3
Veteran

Post#109 » by Phase 3 » Thu Mar 7, 2019 9:30 pm

xdrta+ wrote:
Mylie10 wrote:

I'm not Statsman, but the reason an S&T would be difficult in this case is because of the rules on salary matching that apply. For the team receiving the player in a sign-and-trade, the full salary would apply for matching purposes. For the team trading the player, 50% of the new salary applies. So, assuming Durant signs for his max, about $38M, the full amount would count for Boston, but only $19M would count from the Warrior side. This means that Boston would have to send out about $29M in salary, which is more than the Warriors could take back. It would be extremely difficult to structure.

That is one reason there have been no S&Ts since the new CBA, added to the fact that teams can no longer sign the player to a full Bird contract, 5yr/8%raises, but are limited to what the new team can offer, 4yr/5% raises.

If true, that pretty much kills any S&T with Boston.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#110 » by Mylie10 » Thu Mar 7, 2019 9:42 pm

Mylie10 wrote:If we lose KD my first move is to fly to Australia and convince Bogut to come back on a vet minimum deal.

This year for the Sydney Kings Bogut has played all 26 games 30 minutes per game.

12 points, 12 rebounds, 3.4 assists, and 2.6 blocks per.

Looks like he's in good shape and he and Draymond together are formidable.

That's move 1.

Who is this dude quoting above ^^^ He seems like he has a pulse for the organization, lol

Just to let you know, I've reached out to Mo Speights about next season. Will let you know shortly.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,635

Post#111 » by Coxy » Thu Mar 7, 2019 9:50 pm

Phase 3 wrote:Bottom line, there’s no way to recover quickly from losing KD because the Warriors have very limited cap flexibility going forward and the championship window is probably closed.

What a load of garbage. We won without Durant, and set the regular season all time wins record along the way. Losing Durant just means we target players that can help us get back to what we were before, which specifically means a rim running, shot blocking C and another wing that is versatile on both ends. We sure up those 2 spots and we'll be right in the mix to compete for another title.

Add in the fact that there will be a loud bunch of naysayers out there proclaiming that the Warriors are now finished, and the core guys want to shove that notion up peoples fannies.

Fart sounds.
Phase 3
Veteran

Post#112 » by Phase 3 » Thu Mar 7, 2019 9:52 pm

Coxy wrote:
Phase 3 wrote:Bottom line, there’s no way to recover quickly from losing KD because the Warriors have very limited cap flexibility going forward and the championship window is probably closed.

What a load of garbage. We won without Durant, and set the regular season all time wins record along the way. Losing Durant just means we target players that can help us get back to what we were before, which specifically means a rim running, shot blocking C and another wing that is versatile on both ends. We sure up those 2 spots and we'll be right in the mix to compete for another title.

Add in the fact that there will be a loud bunch of naysayers out there proclaiming that the Warriors are now finished, and the core guys want to shove that notion up peoples fannies.

Fart sounds.

The truth hurts. Sorry I ruffled your feathers.
Coxy
RealGM

Post#113 » by Coxy » Thu Mar 7, 2019 9:52 pm

Mylie10 wrote:
Mylie10 wrote:If we lose KD my first move is to fly to Australia and convince Bogut to come back on a vet minimum deal.

This year for the Sydney Kings Bogut has played all 26 games 30 minutes per game.

12 points, 12 rebounds, 3.4 assists, and 2.6 blocks per.

Looks like he's in good shape and he and Draymond together are formidable.

That's move 1.

Who is this dude quoting above ^^^ He seems like he has a pulse for the organization, lol

Just to let you know, I've reached out to Mo Speights about next season. Will let you know shortly.

Don't suppose you have this guys phone number? :love:

Coxy
RealGM

Post#114 » by Coxy » Thu Mar 7, 2019 9:54 pm

Phase 3 wrote:
Coxy wrote:

Fart sounds.

My feathers are smooth as silk dude, you are the one proclaiming that we are probably finished if KD leaves. Chicken Little FTW.
Phase 3
Veteran

Post#115 » by Phase 3 » Thu Mar 7, 2019 9:56 pm

Coxy wrote:
Phase 3 wrote:
Coxy wrote:

Fart sounds.

My feathers are smooth as silk dude, you are the one proclaiming that we are probably finished if KD leaves. Chicken Little FTW.

Nah. I don’t think we’re “finished”...I still think they’ll be a good team. They won’t win another championship though unless Myers pulls off a miraculous trade or free agent signing.
Coxy
RealGM

Post#116 » by Coxy » Thu Mar 7, 2019 10:04 pm

Phase 3 wrote:
Coxy wrote:
Phase 3 wrote:The truth hurts. Sorry I ruffled your feathers.

Nah. I don’t think we’re “finished”...I still think they’ll be a good team. They won’t win another championship though unless Myers pulls off a miraculous trade or free agent signing.

Has Myers been so disappointing in his GMing to you that you think he, and our front office and players, can't reboot to surround the guys that won 73 wins in a single season to stay at the top? I have full faith in it happening, no reason not to.

Steph, Klay and Draymond's destinies were never linked to Kevin fricken Durant. He joined OUR party, not the other way around. Myers, Lacob and the gang will figure it out.
Phase 3
Veteran

Post#117 » by Phase 3 » Thu Mar 7, 2019 10:14 pm

Coxy wrote:
Phase 3 wrote:
Coxy wrote:

Has Myers been so disappointing in his GMing to you that you think he, and our front office and players, can't reboot to surround the guys that won 73 wins in a single season to stay at the top? I have full faith in it happening, no reason not to.

Steph, Klay and Draymond's destinies were never linked to Kevin fricken Durant. He joined OUR party, not the other way around. Myers, Lacob and the gang will figure it out.

It’s not about Bob Myers for me. It’s about Father Time. These guys have a lot mileage and they’re not in their mid 20’s anymore like they were during that 73 win team run. Curry will be turning 32 next season. Klay and Dray are turning 30 next season. Iguodala will be 36.

Unless you surround those guys with another young stud(kinda like when the Spurs drafted Kawhi), it’s going to be extremely tough for those guys to carry the same load they used to carry back in the day.

On top of all that, the league has gotten a lot better since 2015.

Look, I still think these guys can be a very good team for another couple of years. But I can’t see them winning another title without KD unless Myers happens to pull off something really great. Hopefully Myers has some magic left in him and I’m proven wrong.
xdrta+
General Manager

Post#118 » by xdrta+ » Thu Mar 7, 2019 10:20 pm

Coxy wrote:
Phase 3 wrote:
Coxy wrote:

Myers had a lot more to work with a few years ago. If he's going to reboot around those 3 guys he's got the taxpayer MLE and minimum salaries to offer reboot prospects. IMO, the salary cap actually works, it's very tough for a top team to stay on top unless they can hang onto their best players.
statsman
Analyst
And1: 438

Post#119 » by statsman » Thu Mar 7, 2019 10:45 pm

likashing wrote:If KD wants to go to the Celtics and they have no cap space, then they have to do a sign and trade.

You don't see S&T often nowadays because there is no incentive to do so when the destination team has cap space. But for KD's case, that is the only way he can head to Boston.

Horford has a PO for $30m so I believe theoretically he can be the center piece for a S&T for KD onces Horford opts in.

KD also has a $31.5m PO as well. Maybe... just maybe... they can be traded for each other if they both opt-in, CP3 to the Rockets style. This way, Boston (or any other new team), will have KD's Bird's rights in 2020 summer.

Actually, thinking more about it, and how CP3 could opt-out after the season, rescind the opt-out, and got traded, makes me feel like KD has many more options than just the teams with cap space.

A S&T for either team would be difficult because it hard caps a team receiving a S&T player from exceeding the apron (luxury tax threshold + $6.25M, estimated for 2019-20). Your idea about Horford and maybe Durant electing their PO would work, assuming both players would agree, because it eliminates the hard cap issue.

Durant might opt in under such a circumstance, but Horford may be looking to lock up guaranteed money this offseason, say for more seasons but less per season. Also not sure the Warriors want to take on Horford and his $30M for 2019-20.
SFrush
Sixth Man
And1: 778

Post#120 » by SFrush » Fri Mar 8, 2019 12:17 am

Phase 3 wrote:
Coxy wrote:
Phase 3 wrote:Nah. I don’t think we’re “finished”...I still think they’ll be a good team. They won’t win another championship though unless Myers pulls off a miraculous trade or free agent signing.

It’s not about Bob Myers for me. It’s about Father Time. These guys have a lot mileage and they’re not in their mid 20’s anymore like they were during that 73 win team run. Curry will be turning 32 next season. Klay and Dray are turning 30 next season. Iguodala will be 36.

Unless you surround those guys with another young stud(kinda like when the Spurs drafted Kawhi), it’s going to be extremely tough for those guys to carry the same load they used to carry back in the day.

On top of all that, the league has gotten a lot better since 2015.

Look, I still think these guys can be a very good team for another couple of years. But I can’t see them winning another title without KD unless Myers happens to pull off something really great. Hopefully Myers has some magic left in him and I’m proven wrong.

Agreed. Teams are taking and making a lot more 3's since then. It's much harder to just bury a team with 3's and go on those big runs like we used to in 2015.

Return to Golden State Warriors