ImageImageImageImageImage

Brandon Ingram Thread (merged)

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

What should the Lakers do with Brandon Ingram and his extension this summer?

No extension, let him hit Restricted Free Agency in 2020
52%
Lock him up to a $20mil+ extension
27%
Trade him for max player or for improved future cap flexbility
22%

Total votes: 64

Landsberger
General Manager
And1: 1,969

Re: Can Brandon Ingram really take the next step? 

Post#621 » by Landsberger » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:44 am

Kilroy wrote:
wco81 wrote:Listening to The Ringer NBA podcast.

Holy cow, Ingram's condition could be career-threatening?

They said the same condition ended Teletovic and Bosh's careers.

I think they're jumping the gun for click bait... Technically, what Ingram has isn't a 'condition' yet... Bosh and Teletovic both had a recurring problem with blood clots... And Teletovic had the much more serious complication that they were in both his lungs...

Ingram has had a single occurrence, which isn't that uncommon and can be treated and never recur... If it happens again, then yes, it's a condition that could end his career...

When I hear recurring blood clots, I think PEDs... So we'll have to watch that too I guess... He sure turned it on after the all star break...

I don't discount the click bait take here, but there is a genetic test that is pretty quick and very accurate to show if you have one of the more serious Hypercoagulable conditions. You don't have to have it reoccur to have the condition.
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 9,813

Re: Brandon Ingram Thread (merged) 

Post#622 » by TyCobb » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:18 pm

Read on Twitter
Read more, learn more, change your posts.
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 9,813

Post#623 » by TyCobb » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:19 pm

We need you BI. You're gonna be a beast next season. Guaranteed All-Star.
Read more, learn more, change your posts.
TylersLakers
RealGM
And1: 2,809

Post#624 » by TylersLakers » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:40 pm

TyCobb wrote:We need you BI. You're gonna be a beast next season. Guaranteed All-Star.

I'm still hesitant on BI but that stretch the last month and a half by him was on another level from what he's shown in the past. I'm hoping we learn more information about the surgery and the recovery timeline. He needs to take another giant leap and having a full off-season to get better is something that's crucial for him. If that's impacted by this surgery, that's a major blow.
iQon
Senior
And1: 168

Post#625 » by iQon » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:33 am

Great news all around. Wishing him a healthy recovery.
what would jack bauer do?
Veteran
And1: 295

Post#626 » by what would jack bauer do? » Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:48 am

I need to hear more information on the procedure he had. They deem every surgery a success, but the recovery is always up in the air. I honestly think Ingram is going to be a superstar in the league, but a serious injury at this stage of his career just puts a damper on that.
zuju
Senior
And1: 120

Post#627 » by zuju » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:43 am

My impression tells me that Kobe once hurt his right arm/hand and he then trained his left hand handling, finishing and shooting.

Hope Imgram do the same, also learn to read the defense better (for off ball movrments and iso plays) and strengthen his body & legs. He still have a lot to do even with the right shoulder injured
Ballerhogger
RealGM
And1: 16,798

Post#628 » by Ballerhogger » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:07 am

Says he will be ready in few months . Glad he’s ok . His furtire is really up in the Air though . Oof . He will be traded by draft I think ...
Worst_to_First
RealGM
And1: 8,326

Post#629 » by Worst_to_First » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:48 am

This is very great news. BI has made great strides this season and am wishing him the best in his career. He has developed an unstoppable move and I think may still end up as a better player than Tatum given BI’s higher defensive upside.
evilpimp972
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,760

Post#630 » by evilpimp972 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:27 am

Ballerhogger wrote:Says he will be ready in few months . Glad he’s ok . His furtire is really up in the Air though . Oof . He will be traded by draft I think ...

Trading him doesn't make sense, no team will give up valuable assets for him with his injury concern.
Tinseltown wrote:
True Story wrote:KD is the best player in the NBA.

Kevin Durant is a better scorer than Jordan

MJ was never this efficient
Ballerhogger
RealGM
And1: 16,798

Post#631 » by Ballerhogger » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:55 am

evilpimp972 wrote:
Ballerhogger wrote:Says he will be ready in few months . Glad he’s ok . His furtire is really up in the Air though . Oof . He will be traded by draft I think ...

Trading him doesn't make sense, no team will give up valuable assets for him with his injury concern.

From out standpoint I hope we don’t but I think it will be pretty decent to good return once he fully cleared . . With his father unhappy with his son contract it could big a factor . Now if there’s any hiccups then your right we shouldn’t.
TylersLakers
RealGM
And1: 2,809

Post#632 » by TylersLakers » Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:42 pm

"This couldn't have been a better set of facts for a clot," Ingram's agent, Jeff Schwartz of Excel Sports Management, told ESPN.

With uncertainty surrounding Ingram's condition in the past week, former NBA players who were forced to retire because of blood clot issues -- namely Chris Bosh and Mirza Teletovic -- were often cited as comparable cases to Ingram. However, Ingram, the Lakers' No. 2 pick out of Duke in 2016, had a condition that was linked to the makeup of his body, not the makeup of his blood.

"It's a night-and-day difference between a hematological issue, or a blood issue however you want to put it, and a structural issue," Schwartz told ESPN. "This was not related to his blood producing something that would cause blood clots. This was purely structural."

Very good news. Hopefully it's not just agent speak of trying to calm the waters, especially with Ingram up for an extension. But this doesn't seem likely at all to be an issue going forward. The article also speaks about him being ready to resume basketball activities in 8 weeks, and then he'll be able to progress to full contact stuff in 12 weeks. That would give him a full off-season to improve his game. Hopefully the coaching staff we put in place is better in player development and he can spend more time in Los Angeles this off-season, compared to what he did last off-season.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26281414/ingram-surgery-ready-2019-20
Landsberger
General Manager
And1: 1,969

Post#633 » by Landsberger » Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:54 pm

TylersLakers wrote: "This couldn't have been a better set of facts for a clot," Ingram's agent, Jeff Schwartz of Excel Sports Management, told ESPN.

With uncertainty surrounding Ingram's condition in the past week, former NBA players who were forced to retire because of blood clot issues -- namely Chris Bosh and Mirza Teletovic -- were often cited as comparable cases to Ingram. However, Ingram, the Lakers' No. 2 pick out of Duke in 2016, had a condition that was linked to the makeup of his body, not the makeup of his blood.

"It's a night-and-day difference between a hematological issue, or a blood issue however you want to put it, and a structural issue," Schwartz told ESPN. "This was not related to his blood producing something that would cause blood clots. This was purely structural."

Very good news. Hopefully it's not just agent speak of trying to calm the waters, especially with Ingram up for an extension. But this doesn't seem likely at all to be an issue going forward. The article also speaks about him being ready to resume basketball activities in 8 weeks, and then he'll be able to progress to full contact stuff in 12 weeks. That would give him a full off-season to improve his game. Hopefully the coaching staff we put in place is better in player development and he can spend more time in Los Angeles this off-season, compared to what he did last off-season.

At the very least the 2 are related from what I know of my Brother-in-law's situation. The other answer here is what Kilroy noted.... PED's. That has been known to cause clots and muscles that are growing naturally fast.

As for Agent speak.... Agents are Attorneys. Need I say more? :lol:
kobe_vs_jordan
General Manager
And1: 4,481

Post#634 » by kobe_vs_jordan » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:17 pm

PEDs don't make you shoot better. Also wouldn't cause a structural blood clot from my understanding.
gts1
Starter
And1: 1,232

Post#635 » by gts1 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:48 pm

TylersLakers wrote: "This couldn't have been a better set of facts for a clot," Ingram's agent, Jeff Schwartz of Excel Sports Management, told ESPN.

I was reading about this last night.. what happens is when he had the injury it pinched off a vein stopping or limiting blood flow thus forming a clot, it has something do with how the rib bone and collar bone attach so they fix the structural problem which will prevent this from happening again
Wife: "you haven't heard a single thing I said"
Me: that's a funny way to start a conversation...
Slink
Bench Warmer
And1: 948

Post#636 » by Slink » Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:02 am

Funny that people are thinking PEDs. BI must be taking the wrong ones, because he's still a stick figure.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,194

Post#637 » by wco81 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:29 am

Until he has a full season without issues, there’s going to be a cloud over him.

I would think that the Lakers or any team would be wary about committ8ng big, long term money unless he can show that this problem is gone.
karkinos
Head Coach
And1: 2,058

Re: Can Brandon Ingram really take the next step? 

Post#638 » by karkinos » Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:10 pm

Landsberger wrote:I don't discount the click bait take here, but there is a genetic test that is pretty quick and very accurate to show if you have one of the more serious Hypercoagulable conditions. You don't have to have it reoccur to have the condition.

clotting disorders are more complicated that genetic tests.
genetic tests are only one facet of the equation and quite frankly, of those most common ones, aren't that serious.

young athlete with millions of dollars on the line with an upper extremity clot, which is already more rare than the standard lower extremity dvt or pulmonary embolism? when you hear hooves, think horses, not zebras.

all this talk about anatomy of vessels or that someone hit him...possible but unlikely. underlying anatomy predisposing one to recurrent clots is a very specific condition called may thurner syndrome and it is in a very specific location, which happens to be nowhere near the arm. trauma causing a clot typically manifests after a major injury causing structural damage such as a fracture.

the other possibility is that he had instrumentation, such as a catheter placed, that could also provoke a clot.

it is almost too easy to work in the media with zero accountability for whatever garbage they put out as "news".
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,646

Post#639 » by dockingsched » Tue Apr 9, 2019 6:40 pm

Was reading an old article about the Jim/Mitch firing, I had totally forgotten that Magic was actually brought on before Jim/Mitch were fired, and supposedly Jeanie didn’t decide to fire them until after witnessing how Jim and Mitch handled that deadline.

https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/98223130

One of the huge issues that Jeanie and Magic apparently had was that Mitch and Jim didn’t keep them in the loop regarding the Cousins-Kings trade, where Mitch refused to include Ingram. If it were up to Jeanie and Magic, Ingram would’ve been shipped out.

Couple of years later, you guys feel like Mitch deserves credit for preventing that trade, blame, or hard to tell?
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#640 » by Kilroy » Tue Apr 9, 2019 7:08 pm

dockingsched wrote:Was reading an old article about the Jim/Mitch firing, I had totally forgotten that Magic was actually brought on before Jim/Mitch were fired, and supposedly Jeanie didn’t decide to fire them until after witnessing how Jim and Mitch handled that deadline.

https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/98223130

One of the huge issues that Jeanie and Magic apparently had was that Mitch and Jim didn’t keep them in the loop regarding the Cousins-Kings trade, where Mitch refused to include Ingram. If it were up to Jeanie and Magic, Ingram would’ve been shipped out.

Couple of years later, you guys feel like Mitch deserves credit for preventing that trade, blame, or hard to tell?

Wouldn't Cousins have prevented us from signing LeBron without moving other guys?

Cousins contract with GSW is about what I'd be comfortable paying him... He's a numbskull who needs a strong core ahead of him to keep him in line... So the youngsters here would have been a disaster scenario for him...

I'm glad we didn't do it. And it doesn't even have that much to do with Ingram for me... I'm just glad Cousins is someone else's headache.

That said, if we can't land Davis, but do land Kawhi or KD, adding Cousins as a 3rd option on a tight leash, wouldn't be the worst thing in the world for the right money.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...

Return to Los Angeles Lakers