Chris Paul: James Harden Is Still MVP Despite Loss To Bucks

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Chris Paul: James Harden Is Still MVP Despite Loss To Bucks 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:40 am

Chris Paul said that the Houston Rockets' 108-94 loss to the Milwaukee Bucks should have no impact on MVP voting between James Harden and Giannis Antetokounmpo.

"James went on a historic run. Know what I mean? Obviously I'm biased about the MVP and whoever or whatnot, but those of you that decide it on head-to-head games with a few games left in the season, good luck with that," said Paul.

Harden finished with 23 points, 10 assists, and 7 rebounds. Antetokounmpo had 19 points and 14 rebounds.

Eric Bledsoe and George Hill guarded Harden on his left hip throughout the game, forcing him to drive right. But Harden dismissed their defensive impact.

"I still got my shots up. I still was aggressive. I still did what I was supposed to do. Obviously, some shots didn't go in like every other game, but as a team we had our shots that we got. Tonight, they didn't go in. If they go in, it's a different ballgame," said Harden.

Via Tim MacMahon/ESPN

Vegeta10176
Sixth Man
And1: 243

Re: Chris Paul: James Harden Is Still MVP Despite Loss To Bucks 

Post#2 » by Vegeta10176 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:44 am

You lose games it does impact MVP decisions of course same if a team plays a good defensive strategy on you it does effect your play.. The bucks have no Mirotic no Brogdan and no Pay Carol.. Brogdan is the massive out and will hurt them come play off time but in this game Houston was smashed.. I personally think Giannis impact on both ends makes him MVP and DPOY he should win both awards his team is in first with no other periniel all star.. Hardens is putting out historic numbers but his usage rate is enormous and they are winning but are 4th in the West and what 7th in the comp.. Defo give it too Giannis
JH5
Junior
And1: 199

Post#3 » by JH5 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:08 am

Vegeta10176 wrote:You lose games it does impact MVP decisions of course same if a team plays a good defensive strategy on you it does effect your play.. The bucks have no Mirotic no Brogdan and no Pay Carol.. Brogdan is the massive out and will hurt them come play off time but in this game Houston was smashed.. I personally think Giannis impact on both ends makes him MVP and DPOY he should win both awards his team is in first with no other periniel all star.. Hardens is putting out historic numbers but his usage rate is enormous and they are winning but are 4th in the West and what 7th in the comp.. Defo give it too Giannis

Haha.

Milwaukee and last year’s champs split it 1-1

Houston vs last year’s champs is 3-1

Talk about losing.. right?
Nightfall
Sixth Man
And1: 2,278

Post#4 » by Nightfall » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:54 am

JH5 wrote:
Vegeta10176 wrote:You lose games it does impact MVP decisions of course same if a team plays a good defensive strategy on you it does effect your play.. The bucks have no Mirotic no Brogdan and no Pay Carol.. Brogdan is the massive out and will hurt them come play off time but in this game Houston was smashed.. I personally think Giannis impact on both ends makes him MVP and DPOY he should win both awards his team is in first with no other periniel all star.. Hardens is putting out historic numbers but his usage rate is enormous and they are winning but are 4th in the West and what 7th in the comp.. Defo give it too Giannis

Haha.

Well Bucks against Rockets 2-0 so there is that too.... :lol:

GusT15
Bench Warmer
And1: 3,271

Post#5 » by GusT15 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:03 am

Well,Chris Paul,you are absolutely correct on one point you made.

Last night's game didn't change anything about the MVP race.

James Harden was NOT the MVP before the game and he sure as hell was not the MVP after the game.
aboveAverage
RealGM
And1: 2,604

Post#6 » by aboveAverage » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:19 am

Giannis is the best player on the team with the best record in the league, putting up the most efficient 27/13/6 in history, with DPOY of the year defense. The MVP race is not even a race. The media is only spinning it this way for clicks and views.

If Giannis doesn't get it this year, the award is a travesty. And that's nothing against Harden, who's having an incredible season. Just happens to be less impactful than Giannis this season.
TheCage4
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 518

Post#7 » by TheCage4 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:06 pm

Naturally James Harden is still the MVP; because in today's world everyone wins and no one loses.

I won't be surprised to eventually see an MVP award for the East, and one for the West in the regular season. An MVP award for each round of the playoffs for each conference, and an MVP for the championship team and the runner up.

Hell, lets give everyone a trophy!
“And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission.” -Alan Moore
JH5
Junior
And1: 199

Post#8 » by JH5 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:22 pm

Nightfall wrote:
JH5 wrote:

Haha.

OHHHH...

you mean how the Bucks were swept this season by the worst team in the league Phoenix Suns 2-0.

How’s that for your broom
It Is I Folks
Junior
And1: 46

Post#9 » by It Is I Folks » Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:41 pm

CP3 is right
All this game prove was the fact that without Harden, Rockets are ass flakes.
Off night by BOTH players, but Bucks have players to back up Giannis. Rockets got garbage backing up Harden
Harden is more valuable to the Rockets. Back to back MVPs
SKG
Sixth Man
And1: 933

Post#10 » by SKG » Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:44 pm

JH5 wrote:
Nightfall wrote:
JH5 wrote:
Haha.

OHHHH...

you mean how the Bucks were swept this season by the worst team in the league Phoenix Suns 2-0.

Yup, makes you wonder how bad houston is when phoenix beat milwaukee but houston cant
BarneyGumble
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,210

Post#11 » by BarneyGumble » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:38 pm

Watch out if you are hanging out with Chris Paul when the MVP is announced. He will be looking for some nuts to punch....
It Is I Folks
Junior

Post#12 » by It Is I Folks » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:42 pm

SKG wrote:
JH5 wrote:
Nightfall wrote:

OHHHH...

Yup, makes you wonder how bad houston is when phoenix beat milwaukee but houston cant

But Houston easily handled Phoenix....what’s your point ?

NBA is about matchups....Milkwaukee is a bad matchup for Houston, as Phoenix is with Milwaukee.
br7knicks
Knicks Forum The Professor
And1: 10,629

Post#13 » by br7knicks » Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:13 pm

If you refuse to play defense, you should be refused a chance at MVP.

Should be between giannis and Paul George.
RIP, magnumt '19

PG: M Smart/E Bledsoe/I Smith
SG: D Russell/C LeVert/L Stephenson
SF: H Barnes/T Horton Tucker/
PF: T Harris/C Boucher/B Griffin/
C: J Valanciunas/J McGee/
br7knicks
Knicks Forum The Professor
And1: 10,629

Post#14 » by br7knicks » Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:16 pm

aboveAverage wrote:Giannis is the best player on the team with the best record in the league, putting up the most efficient 27/13/6 in history, with DPOY of the year defense. The MVP race is not even a race. The media is only spinning it this way for clicks and views.

If Giannis doesn't get it this year, the award is a travesty. And that's nothing against Harden, who's having an incredible season. Just happens to be less impactful than Giannis this season.

Someone else on realgm with a brain. Nice to see. But he's having a good offensive season, not season overall

Harden has no business being in the conversation. No defense, no nomination
RIP, magnumt '19

PG: M Smart/E Bledsoe/I Smith
SG: D Russell/C LeVert/L Stephenson
SF: H Barnes/T Horton Tucker/
PF: T Harris/C Boucher/B Griffin/
C: J Valanciunas/J McGee/
sdn40
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,418

Post#15 » by sdn40 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:42 pm

That's some smart journalism. Let's ask Harden's relatives their opinions too.
It Is I Folks
Junior

Post#16 » by It Is I Folks » Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:51 pm

br7knicks wrote:If you refuse to play defense, you should be refused a chance at MVP.

Should be between giannis and Paul George.

Paul George lol
Your brain is asenine
It Is I Folks
Junior

Post#17 » by It Is I Folks » Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:56 pm

aboveAverage wrote:Giannis is the best player on the team with the best record in the league, putting up the most efficient 27/13/6 in history, with DPOY of the year defense. The MVP race is not even a race. The media is only spinning it this way for clicks and views.

LOL less impactful holy s*** the vomit that spews out of some of ya.
Harden is the Rockets
That team sucks without him.
So I’d say he’s been more impactful to the team carrying them to a top 3-4 team in the loaded West with incredible historic offensive efficiency. So yea, I’d say that deserves MVP honors
luss54321
Starter
And1: 297

Post#18 » by luss54321 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:34 pm

It Is I Folks wrote:

Harden is the Rockets
So I’d say he’s been more impactful to the team carrying them to a top 3-4 team in the loaded West with incredible historic offensive efficiency. So yea, I’d say that deserves MVP honors

Clint Capela is a 1st Team All Defensive player with a PER of 23.31
Chris Paul is a 1st ballot Hall of Fame player with a PER of 22.34
Eric Gordon is the reigning 6th man of the year averaging 16 PPG

Stop acting like Harden doesn't have help... that storyline was already proven false. He's literally playing with one of the best point guards in the NBA. Harden CHOOSES not to trust his teammates and he CHOOSES to jack up 40 shots per game.

Also how is the West loaded...? The Jazz are the 6 seed, the Clippers are the 5 seed, and Houston is the 4 seed... So congratulations on finishing with a better record than the Jazz and Clippers...?
Cookin Baskets
Sixth Man
And1: 265

Post#19 » by Cookin Baskets » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:05 pm

Give it to Giannis this year, it's the Year of the Greek Freak!!!!

GREEK FREAK!!!
GREEK FREAK!!!

:rockon:
I don't think I Trust The Process anymore! :banghead:
We are the originals! We are the Philadelphia 76ers!
arasu
Rookie
And1: 147

Post#20 » by arasu » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:40 pm

luss54321 wrote:
It Is I Folks wrote:

Harden is the Rockets

Clint Capela is a 1st Team All Defensive player with a PER of 23.31
Chris Paul is a 1st ballot Hall of Fame player with a PER of 22.34
Eric Gordon is the reigning 6th man of the year averaging 16 PPG

Stop acting like Harden doesn't have help... that storyline was already proven false. He's literally playing with one of the best point guards in the NBA. Harden CHOOSES not to trust his teammates and he CHOOSES to jack up 40 shots per game.

Also how is the West loaded...? The Jazz are the 6 seed, the Clippers are the 5 seed, and Houston is the 4 seed... So congratulations on finishing with a better record than the Jazz and Clippers...?

Both teams need their MVP and would be pretty bad without them. I don't think Giannis is as far ahead of Harden in deserving the MVP as some suggest, but I do think it should go to Giannis this season. The best player on the best team aspect, combined with the statistical efficiency and defense, plus his general perception as the new big thing are all major factors.

As for help surrounding Harden, CP3 is excellent. His 23 points and 17 assists that led the Harden-less Rockets in a win over a full-strength Warriors squad shows that Harden does have some elite level teammates. Their 8-6 record without him over the last two seasons isn't impressive though. And Harden does trust his teammates. He's 5th in the league in total assists, but with a .610 TS%, there's no reason he shouldn't take a lot of shots. His coach encourages it, and even Steve Nash regrets not being more of a scorer like Harden.
"Nellie [launched] my career in pushing me to be aggressive and score the ball. But I never took it to the heights that the numbers validate in today's day and age, where I probably should have shot the ball 20 times a game. It probably would have made a lot more sense."

"Nash was a purist," said Mike D'Antoni, who coached Nash with the Suns from 2004 to 2008. "Steve's a Hall of Fame point guard. He was unbelievably good. I just think instead of averaging 15 or 16 [points], he could have averaged 30 for us.

As for the loaded West, there are fewer really bad teams in the West. That's obvious. 3 of the 4 teams that have been in pure tank-mode all season are in the East. And the Southeast Division doesn't have a single winning team. The top 8 in the West can all hang with just about any team in the East. The Bucks are great though, and the top 5 in the East are legit comparable to the top 8 in the West, but that pretty much illustrates the difference between the conferences. It's weighted 8 to 5 in favor of the West.

Return to Wiretap Discussion