Post#86 » by Cactus Jack » Wed Dec 5, 2018 1:21 am

Scott Hall wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:
Scott Hall wrote:
Congrats big day

IT'S OFFICIAL!!!!

Read on Twitter

To bad they don't play for 3 years that's a long time was hoping for 2020

Yeah, the expected completion of the Arena has pushed it back a year. It's not projected to be finished until the Spring of 2021.

The downside of course is the location (Seattle Center). It's located near Amazon's HQ. But, it's also the worst spot in the city for traffic & parking. A headache for most fans who commute into that area. It's a bummer for a lot of fans who preferred the other Arena proposal (Which is located conveniently next to both Safeco & Century Link stadiums). Best case: Watch from home! :(
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
thugcityballa
Sophomore
And1: 30

Re: NHL Seattle Expansion 

Post#87 » by thugcityballa » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:15 am

$eaTTLe has the best fan base these days
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,399

Post#88 » by Cactus Jack » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:12 am

Scott Hall
RealGM
And1: 62,604

Post#89 » by Scott Hall » Mon Apr 1, 2019 11:14 am

Cactus Jack wrote:

Nice! are Seattle fans still bitching it's not at Sodo or are they finally accepting that Key Arena is gonna
get pimped out and have to deal with traffic like every major big city?
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#90 » by Cactus Jack » Mon Apr 1, 2019 5:16 pm

Scott Hall wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:

Nice! are Seattle fans still bitching it's not at Sodo or are they finally accepting that Key Arena is gonna

Yeah, I personally avoid that area (Seattle Center). It's a nightmare (traffic). Especially for those who dont live in the city & have to commute. It's a hassle. But, it's something that most people will just have to live with. Accept. :wink:
Scott Hall
RealGM

Post#91 » by Scott Hall » Mon Apr 1, 2019 7:16 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
Scott Hall wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:

Yeah, I personally avoid that area (Seattle Center). It's a nightmare (traffic). Especially for those who dont live in the city & have to commute. It's a hassle. But, it's something that most people will just have to live with. Accept. :wink:

I think it's pretty much the same with any team that has their arena in a downtown location
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#92 » by Cactus Jack » Mon Apr 1, 2019 8:24 pm

Scott Hall wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:
Scott Hall wrote:

I think it's pretty much the same with any team that has their arena in a downtown location

Well...Key Arena/Seattle Center is kind of unique. There really isn't easy access to & from (No immediate highways/freeways). For those that commute in from the North/East/South, you have to migrate through Amazon's HQ which is a very congested area itself.

The Sodo neighborhood (Other location) does not have this problem. Both Century Link Stadium (Seahawks/Sounders) & T-Mobile Park (Mariners), have easy access to & from (I-5/405 Freeway's). It's also closer/easier to access the downtown & water front, etc. More parking & public transportation (Metro/Light Rail).

The public outcry against Key Arena/SC is very justified.

The city ultimately chose to protect it's own investment (Key Arena) over what many believe is/was a much better solution. But, the city of Seattle has always tended to operate in this fashion. :roll:

FWIW, I live on the East-side (Suburbs) & my commute to Seattle Center can take anywhere from 1-2 hours or even longer during heavy rush hour traffic. Where as Sodo (C-link/T-Mobile Park) could take 20-30 minutes for a commute, on most days.

Below is a photo of Key Arena/Seattle Center. As you can see it's located in a neighborhood (Queen Anne) essentially. Not downtown.

SODO/Stadium district (Other location) is below...

Scott Hall
RealGM

Post#93 » by Scott Hall » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:25 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
Scott Hall wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:Yeah, I personally avoid that area (Seattle Center). It's a nightmare (traffic). Especially for those who dont live in the city & have to commute. It's a hassle. But, it's something that most people will just have to live with. Accept. :wink:

Well...Key Arena/Seattle Center is kind of unique. There really isn't easy access to & from (No immediate highways/freeways). For those that commute in from the North/East/South, you have to migrate through Amazon's HQ which is a very congested area itself.

The Sodo neighborhood (Other location) does not have this problem. Both Century Link Stadium (Seahawks/Sounders) & T-Mobile Park (Mariners), have easy access to & from (I-5/405 Freeway's). It's also closer/easier to access the downtown & water front, etc. More parking & public transportation (Metro/Light Rail).

The public outcry against Key Arena/SC is very justified.

The city ultimately chose to protect it's own investment (Key Arena) over what many believe is/was a much better solution. But, the city of Seattle has always tended to operate in this fashion. :roll:

FWIW, I live on the East-side (Suburbs) & my commute to Seattle Center can take anywhere from 1-2 hours or even longer during heavy rush hour traffic. Where as Sodo (C-link/T-Mobile Park) could take 20-30 minutes for a commute, on most days.

Below is a photo of Key Arena/Seattle Center. As you can see it's located in a neighborhood (Queen Anne) essentially. Not downtown.

SODO/Stadium district (Other location) is below...

Yeah that looks pretty bad... I've never seen an arena in a middle of a neighborhood before. What was it like going
to Sonics games back in the day? Have you been watching the NHL playoffs at all?
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#94 » by Cactus Jack » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:36 pm

Scott Hall wrote:Yeah that looks pretty bad... I've never seen an arena in a middle of a neighborhood before. What was it like going
to Sonics games back in the day?

An absolute headache. Most people will tell you that Key Arena (It's location) is the reason why the team left. Not just because of it's size (Smallest in the league), but the location of Key/Seattle Center is a major reason why the team ultimately was sold & left.

Unless you live/work in a certain part of town, it's very difficult to commute to/from. Finding Parking is also a hassle.

Amazon especially has really taken over that area since the team departed. It's an absolute madhouse during peak rush hours.

Most people roll their eyes when you bring up the City & Key Arena talk.

Scott Hall wrote:Have you been watching the NHL playoffs at all?

No. I just can't seem to really get into it all that much. I've never found Hockey to be all that entertaining to watch (Especially on television). Maybe that will change at some point when the expansion team begins play. :dontknow:

I mostly stick to Football. I will watch the Warriors play, but that's about it (As far as the NBA/Basketball goes). Don't really have much interest outside of that.
Scott Hall
RealGM

Post#95 » by Scott Hall » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:04 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
Scott Hall wrote:Yeah that looks pretty bad... I've never seen an arena in a middle of a neighborhood before. What was it like going

An absolute headache. Most people will tell you that Key Arena (It's location) is the reason why the team left. Not just because of it's size (Smallest in the league), but the location of Key/Seattle Center is a major reason why the team ultimately was sold & left.

Unless you live/work in a certain part of town, it's very difficult to commute to/from. Finding Parking is also a hassle.

Amazon especially has really taken over that area since the team departed. It's an absolute madhouse during peak rush hours.

No. I just can't seem to really get into it all that much. I've never found Hockey to be all that entertaining to watch (Especially on television). Maybe that will change at some point when the expansion team begins play. :dontknow:

I mostly stick to Football. I will watch the Warriors play, but that's about it (As far as the NBA/Basketball goes). Don't really have much interest outside of that.

You like soccer but don't like this? :P

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#96 » by Cactus Jack » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:27 pm

Scott Hall wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

:lol:

The fighting might be the only thing worth watching tbh. :lol:

Your Canadian so it's in your DNA. :lol:

From my pov there are way too many games (Meaningless Regular Season) & not enough scoring. They need to make the goals larger or somehow make scoring increase. I've never understood having 2 long intermissions. Too many stoppages in play. Don't have the attention span for it.

It's also hard to keep track of the puck a lot of the time.

I never grew up playing the game, so I never got the itch for it. Not a clear understanding of the rules, etc.

I did however play Soccer, so I have a greater appreciation for the sport compared to the average Joe in North America. :wink:

I don't watch or follow MLS because it's very vanilla & a boring product for the most part. Much much different than leagues in Europe (Every game counts). Yes, I am an avid supporter of Liverpool. Enjoy watching big clashes. But, I still consider myself more of a casual "Soccer" fan in general. Same goes for Basketball & the NBA. But, American Football will always be the priority for me as a fan.
Scott Hall
RealGM

Post#97 » by Scott Hall » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:03 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
Scott Hall wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:An absolute headache. Most people will tell you that Key Arena (It's location) is the reason why the team left. Not just because of it's size (Smallest in the league), but the location of Key/Seattle Center is a major reason why the team ultimately was sold & left.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

From my pov there are way too many games (played) & not enough scoring. They need to make the goals larger or somehow make scoring increase. I've never understood having 2 long intermissions. Too many stoppages in play. Don't have the attention span for it.

I never grew up playing the game, so I never got the itch for it. Not a clear understanding of the rules, etc.

I did however play Soccer, so I have a greater appreciation for the sport compared to the average Joe in North America. :wink:

I don't watch or follow MLS because it's very vanilla & a boring product for the most part. Much much different than leagues in Europe. Yes, I am an avid supporter of Liverpool. Enjoy watching big clashes. But, I still consider myself more of a casual "Soccer" fan in general. Same goes for Basketball & the NBA. But, American Football will always be the priority for me as a fan.

The funny thing is Hockey is basically soccer on ice with sticks and violence and the rules are pretty basic not
very hard to understand...

I get what you're saying and it's perfectly natural for someone who didn't grow up with a team in their city. Everything
you said is EXACTLY what others said before they got a team. I can show you Youtube videos or tweets of guys in their
40's, 50's, 60's etc that are Vegas, Columbus, Nashville, Carolina, Tampa, Colorado etc fans that just said what you said
for verbatim and completely switched their tune and did a 180.

You know Seattle will go HAM for the new team and it will be one of the loudest barns in the league. Regular season
hockey is 3rd worst of the big 4 sports (MLB is last) but it goes 0-100 in the playoffs.

Even the biggest NHL haters will admit Playoff Hockey absolutely slays everything. It always delivers every year.

Once Seattle gets in the playoffs and you have a dog in the race and the city/arena goes bonkers I guarantee you'll
change your opinion like so many others before you.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#98 » by Cactus Jack » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:20 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
Scott Hall wrote:

From my pov there are way too many games (played) & not enough scoring. They need to make the goals larger or somehow make scoring increase. I've never understood having 2 long intermissions. Too many stoppages in play. Don't have the attention span for it.

I don't watch or follow MLS because it's very vanilla & a boring product for the most part. Much much different than leagues in Europe. Yes, I am an avid supporter of Liverpool. Enjoy watching big clashes. But, I still consider myself more of a casual "Soccer" fan in general. Same goes for Basketball & the NBA. But, American Football will always be the priority for me as a fan.

The funny thing is Hockey is basically soccer on ice with sticks and violence and the rules are pretty basic not

I get what you're saying and it's perfectly natural for someone who didn't grow up with a team in their city. Everything
you said is EXACTLY what others said before they got a team. I can show you Youtube videos or tweets of guys in their
40's, 50's, 60's etc that are Vegas, Columbus, Nashville, Carolina, Tampa, Colorado etc fans that just said what you said

You know Seattle will go HAM for the new team and it will be one of the loudest barns in the league. Regular season
hockey is 3rd worst of the big 4 sports (MLB is last) but it goes 0-100 in the playoffs.

Even the biggest NHL haters will admit Playoff Hockey absolutely slays everything. It always delivers every year.

Once Seattle gets in the playoffs and you have a dog in the race and the city/arena goes bonkers I guarantee you'll

You might be right. Idk man...I turned on a game yesterday & within 5 minutes I had lost all interest. :lol:

The great thing about Soccer is that it's 90 minutes & there aren't timeouts & constant commercials. :wink:

Over the years my interest in Basketball has greatly waned. The regular season is just way too long. Both the NBA & NHL have this problem. So...Why watch!?

Don't get me started on Baseball.... :lol:

Edit:

Apparently the #1 team (Tampa) has already been eliminated. :lol:

So much for having a 82 game regular season, huh!?? :wink:
Scott Hall
RealGM

Post#99 » by Scott Hall » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:53 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:
Scott Hall wrote:

You might be right. Idk man...I turned on a game yesterday & within 5 minutes I had lost all interest. :lol:

The great thing about Soccer is that it's 90 minutes & there aren't timeouts & constant commercials. :wink:

Over the years my interest in Basketball has greatly waned. The regular season is just way too long. Both the NBA & NHL have this problem. So...Why watch!?

Don't get me started on Baseball.... :lol:

Edit:

Apparently the #1 team (Tampa) has already been eliminated. :lol:

So much for having a 82 game regular season, huh!?? :wink:

As an NBA/NHL fan I'll never complain about the length of schedule the summer is sooooo boring when it's
only baseball and MLS. I always tape a bunch of Raptor games during the season and watch them again in
the summer when I'm bored.

As for soccer I love playing it but I can't watch other people play it. I also can't stand all the diving and the players
rolling around on the field like they got shot. Also the lack of scoring and scoring chances isn't for me. A 2-1 game
is considered high scoring. I also don't like pitchers duels in baseball. Oh and is there anything worse then a soccer
championship being decided on penalty kicks where the goalie takes a 50/50 guess where to jump?

A lot of it will depend on how big of a sports fan you are if you're just soccer and casual NBA who knows? I still
say if Seattle goes on a deep playoff run there's no way you'll not get sucked in.

Getting to watch a team from inception seeing them decide a name and jerseys etc is pretty cool. Then getting to
know the players and developing rivalries and seeing trades and learning history is cool.

Anyways your stance is exactly mine on Football.... and I'm sure if we had a team I'd probably be hardcore but
we don't and I don't care lol
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#100 » by Cactus Jack » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:35 pm

Scott Hall wrote:Oh and is there anything worse then a soccer championship being decided on penalty kicks where the goalie takes a 50/50 guess where to jump?

Honestly, PK's are great. There's nothing that matches the suspense imo. Like edge of your seat ****. :lol:

People complain about scoring in Soccer. But it's mostly from people who don't follow it. Typically Americans lol. The rest of the world doesn't have an issue with it. :wink:

I'm watching Man City/Tottenham (Champions League) as we speak. It's lit (4-4 aggregate) atm. Plenty of scoring. :wink:

There's nothing like a World Cup elimination match or Champions League for that matter.

Return to The General NHL Board